Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks to the people of this thread I had my first ever “Dark N Stormy.” I found the Gosling Ginger Beer at my supermarket but did get their rum since I already had some Kraken dark spiced rum. I must say this is one nice tasty light and refreshing cocktail.

Cheers All !

Glad that you liked it.  My other favorite drink with Goslings rum is a rum swizzle.  Very nice in the summer.

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

And my final drink of the night and of this cruise... an Espresso with Baily's. These two bartenders at the Champagne Bar have been great and have taken good care of me. I will do my best to take care of them when I do my cruise evaluation.

20220129_233415.thumb.jpg.56fb85af6ecf82b45d3bb93257e9a6fb.jpg

Have a safe trip home.  Hopefully when you arrive in Hartford, the sun will be out and the roads will be clear.  If I remember correctly (not at all a given), you were going to try a Miami Vice on this cruise.  Did that ever happen?

12 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

We've been using this ATK recipe for about a year.  It's easy to make and very good.  We had one last night (pepperoni and sausage).  The cheddar you put around the crust edges makes the crust taste very good.

The last step where you brown the crust on a stove top burner is tricky...you can't walk away...you have to keep an eye on it.

At the beginning of the pandemic we bought an oven stone and a pizza peel.  We tried about half a dozen different recipes and methods.  The cast iron skillet method is the easiest and best!

Agreed.   Very easy to make and the crust was the best part...especially the cheesy edges.  We overcooked the top by leaving it in the oven too long.  She said to put the pan on the bottom rack close to the bottom heating element in the oven.  Our oven only has a top element.  That might have been the reason?  We'll try tweaking the cook time the next time we make it, and there definitely will be a next time.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Ask your vet about the pills.  When we had a similar situation our vet had us crush the pills and put in a syringe (no needle, larger syringe).  A little water in the syringe, pump up and down a few times to dissolve and shoot down the dog's mouth.  

Good idea- I will check with the vet tomorrow… the good thing is, my mom has done it in the past.  However, making it easier for her would be good 🙂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

Agreed.   Very easy to make and the crust was the best part...especially the cheesy edges.  We overcooked the top by leaving it in the oven too long.  She said to put the pan on the bottom rack close to the bottom heating element in the oven.  Our oven only has a top element.  That might have been the reason?  We'll try tweaking the cook time the next time we make it, and there definitely will be a next time.

I showed your pictures to my wife, she said it didn't look like you tucked the cheddar around the edges as much as she does (she tucks it in between the dough and pan).  And she mentioned she uses beer in the dough instead of water.

The large burner on our electric stove is out, so we used a smaller burner to brown/crisp the bottom.  When we would peek under the crust to check browning, it fooled us.  Because the burner was smaller it got the center of the pizza bottom very hot, a bit burned, and the outside edges weren't getting enough heat.

Which brings up a side topic...electric ranges.  Our current range, and the one before this one, failed long before they should have.  First GE was induction and failed at about the five year mark (our tech said it was too expensive to repair).  This GE now is not induction, just electric.  It's about five years old too and the large burner went out.  I figure the burner could be repaired for $300 to $500 but we really want to go back to induction (no gas lines here).  We kind of like the GE Cafe line but are leery of going GE again.  We've found a Fisher & Paykel we like...but don't have any personal experience with them.  Is there anyone here that can tell me about Fisher & Paykel ranges?

6 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Which brings up a side topic...electric ranges.  Our current range, and the one before this one, failed long before they should have.  First GE was induction and failed at about the five year mark (our tech said it was too expensive to repair).  This GE now is not induction, just electric.  It's about five years old too and the large burner went out.  I figure the burner could be repaired for $300 to $500 but we really want to go back to induction (no gas lines here).  We kind of like the GE Cafe line but are leery of going GE again.  We've found a Fisher & Paykel we like...but don't have any personal experience with them.  Is there anyone here that can tell me about Fisher & Paykel ranges?

We have GE appliances in our kitchen.  They were put in when the house was built 4 years ago, and we've used them since moving in a year ago.  We like the GE Cafe gas cooktop and have had no problems.  The GE wall oven however had to have a circuit board cooling fan replaced.  It was dead in the water for 2 weeks. I never noticed that there was no bottom heating element until cooking the pizza.  Maybe that's normal now for convection ovens since they circulate the heat better.

We had an electric cooktop in Cincinnati for about 20 years.  It was a Wolf 5 burner.  No problems with it at all.  We liked it but it didn't have as much heat control as gas.  I've seen the Fisher & Paykel name when we've been appliance shopping, but don't have any personal experience.

47 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Have a safe trip home.  Hopefully when you arrive in Hartford, the sun will be out and the roads will be clear.  If I remember correctly (not at all a given), you were going to try a Miami Vice on this cruise.  Did that ever happen?

It was my first drink aboard the ship.🙂

• Like 8

15 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I know that is the Standard Procedure, and very good pills at that (Dramamine).

+ 3, Feel good, Renee 

I feel your pain. Or, rather, queasiness. 
I hope you get relief from whatever remedy is available. 
Maybe Mike can go check the Medical Center. Sometimes they put meds outside their door when the water is rough. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Ok, back to cruising. I can now officially say that this Windjammer, where I am sitting, did NOTHING special all week...no seafood night, no special dessert night, no nothing. Just a lot of repetition of the same stuff night after night. I haven't gone hungry but this cruise will not be remembered because of food. Other than that I have had a really great week that I'll post more thoughts about once I get home... whenever that occurs.

I'm glad I decided to just post on this thread during the week as opposed to the main board. For some reason this time around I felt like keeping this more among us. Can't really explain why. Most importantly, I can say that even with the intrusion of the storm back home, I have once again found the sense of peace that I search for when I go to sea. Both the sea and the Caribbean are very special to me. They hold great memories that I will cherish always. I feel very good tonight.... tomorrow night I'll deal with the frostbite.

Being at sea wipes my mind clean of my worries and cleanses my soul. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Our oven only has a top element. 

Bob, your oven has to have a bottom element, it's just not exposed like you would expect.  Without it, you would only be able to broil, not bake.  We have a GE Cafe oven and you cannot see its bottom element.  Also, the oven has a steam cleaning feature (in addition to the typical, very hot, self-clean setting).  You pour a cup of water in the bottom of the oven, and set it to steam clean.  When done and cooled off a bit, soak up the water with a towel.  It only takes 30 minutes and makes minor messes easy to clean out without stinking up the house.  

Joy

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

Hats, gloves and heavy coat.  The last 2 days had to go to the heaviest coat and add a scarf.  I need my 70s again.  

When you’re cold, you’re cold. 
Sometimes I’m cold in July if I’m sitting under an AC vent!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hi, I am catching up on about a million pages of this thread and just realized I am sailing on same Anthem cruise as @DaniDanielle.

We are sitting across from Cafe Promenade but will soon be on the move.

We have had a great time. DH and I went to beaches at all four islands. Weather was great. 

Yesterday afternoon and last night were quite the experience with the weather. DH was more bothered than I was. We spent more time than usual in our stateroom so he did not have to walk around much. We always take Bonine. Ate a lot of crackers, bread and green apples. I had no problem however adding a glass of wine to that. 😉

We went on more ship excursions than normal as we were unsure what would be happening rule-wise. All were ok but often too short on the beach time.

Here are some photos....

This one is when a drinking glass in our bathroom went flying with a big ship roll...

20220129_190235.thumb.jpg.36dd625026772f51ed9d20339df623fc.jpg

During storm..

20220129_124107.thumb.jpg.81dc91dee78db9bf22fb766a05d3cffe.jpg

Night before bad weather..

20220128_172416.thumb.jpg.8769f3bcb678e122f7b5051804e8fb47.jpg

St. Kitts...

20220127_124649.thumb.jpg.f06ac5d86350aae830366558913bc118.jpg

St. Thomas...

20220126_135123.thumb.jpg.bd0eda5094d686afe08ca7c03557e7d1.jpg

• Like 17

13 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

There is a guy who works for the city that lives at the end of the street, so we get pretty good service.  Not as good as when the School Committee Chairman lived on our street, but still better than some of the other side streets.

It is always nice when you have some little extra perks with the plow guys. 🤩

Our street is located next to an elementary school and a middle school is only one block away so we always seem to get service from the plow trucks.      Yesterday afternoon I went for a drive around the neighborhood as I love to drive in the snow when noone else is on the roads and Yup our street was in much better condition that some others.     

• Like 5

13 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Deck 11. The Diamond Lounge was unbelievable with the water hitting the windows!  Tim Hortons is on Victory and Richmond Avenue on the way to the Mall.  It has been there awhile.

Was I at the wrong DL.    I went to the one on deck 4 for my morning coffee.

Wow- that's crazy to hear the waves were hitting that high up!    

How has my day been so far ,you ask ?

I woke up at 7 this morning.It was very sunny out but the temperature was 10 degrees and very windy.We had 19 “ of snow.

I took a shower but in the shower my left leg and left foot were so numb that I had to scream the name of Nurse Toby to help me out.Afterward I had breakfast and washed my dishes.As I was washing a knife I cut one of my fingers and Nurse Toby once again came to the rescue.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

How has my day been so far ,you ask ?

I woke up at 7 this morning.It was very sunny out but the temperature was 10 degrees and very windy.We had 19 “ of snow.

I took a shower but in the shower my left leg and left foot were so numb that I had to scream the name of Nurse Toby to help me out.Afterward I had breakfast and washed my dishes.As I was washing a knife I cut one of my fingers and Nurse Toby once again came to the rescue.

Thankful you have Nurse Toby😍    How is she feeling?     Did she start that new medicine (I forget the name but it had horrible side effects)?