Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Anybody ever seen a microwave over a double oven? you think that is doable?

Microwave  is 14 inches high x 30 inches wide, double oven is  50 inches high by 30 inches wide......

That's pretty much the height of my microwave over my range now. 64"

Most wall ovens are installed about 30 inches from the floor.   You don't want to install a wall oven just a couple inches off the floor, defeats the whole purpose of a wall oven vs. a one piece stove/cooktop unit.      So unless you and your wife are related to the Jolly Green Giant I don't see you being able to reach a microwave above a double oven.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Dani, if there’s no Bunco played in Israel, it’s a dice game played by cranky old ladies. In my case, at least.

And also by younger women who like to drink wine and gab.  The wives in our old neighborhood played once a month and rotated who hosted.  Once a year, the husbands were invited to join.  We've been told that it was a VERY different atmosphere with the husbands there. 😁

• Like 4

2 hours ago, taznremmy said:

Thanks Patti!  😁  I'm happy with Princess; prefer RCCL because of 'perks',  The cruise was LA-Cabo-Mazatlan-PV with a few sea days thrown in. I did a B3B.  It was great o be back on a ship, and the prices were crazy low for a solo.  No supplement! 

I wish RCI gave free internet to everyone platinum and above and $100 OBC to every veteran like Princess. 
RCI has more bells and whistles, though. 
We alternate between the two. 

• Like 2

I don't know if you will have the counter space for this, but we like our wall oven with wall microwave over it, and a second Breville counter-top oven.  The Breville is large enough to truly act as a second oven (and often a first oven) plus we use it as a toaster, air fryer, pizza maker, etc.  

I'd be careful of a double oven with microwave over it.  Micheline is 5' 1 3/4" (the 3/4" is very important to her) and could not reach the microwave in a house we looked at.  It was one of the reasons that we decided not to buy the house.

Also, if you can squeeze it in somewhere, I'd go for 2 sinks.  One can be used for prep while the other is used for cleaning.  If they are slightly spread out, it lets 2 people work in the kitchen at the same time without bumping into each other.  And I fully agree with lower drawers, or pull-out shelves if you want cabinet faces.  So much easier.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

And also by younger women who like to drink wine and gab.  The wives in our old neighborhood played once a month and rotated who hosted.  Once a year, the husbands were invited to join.  We've been told that it was a VERY different atmosphere with the husbands there. 😁

The first time I hosted, years ago, Dick took himself off somewhere to eat dinner. 
He came home and promptly hid in his study/man cave. (Which he still does)

After the ladies left, he told me when he turned the corner at the other end of the block, he could hear us. 
Makes me surprised that I haven’t been reported here at our condo. 
I only have to host once a year, and do all of them in February, so it’s quiet 11 months of the year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Microwave  is 14 inches high x 30 inches wide, double oven is  50 inches high by 30 inches wide......

Maybe one of these options for the microwave.   They both look decent.    I like the idea of the drawer microwave.   Heck you probably going to spend around $50K for the kitchen remodel what's another $1000 for a microwave.

image.png.3056ed67322bc870badc7a7e0209d5a4.pngimage.png.7fe5621bb504dd71782ebb78c8ad6efe.png 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Most wall ovens are installed about 30 inches from the floor.   You don't want to install a wall oven just a couple inches off the floor, defeats the whole purpose of a wall oven vs. a one piece stove/cooktop unit.      So unless you and your wife are related to the Jolly Green Giant I don't see you being able to reach a microwave above a double oven.

I have double ovens.  There is a drawer under them.  The bottom oven is just right for my short arms.  The top one which is on top of the bottom one is ok but it is a bit high especially for large items.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Anybody ever seen a microwave over a double oven

Just curious, and pls. don't take it wrong -- why 2 ovens?

41 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Most wall ovens are installed about 30 inches from the floor.   

Speaking of the "drawer microwave" -- personally, I don't like the idea of bending over for any type of "oven". The microwave in the first picture is perfectly positioned IMHO.

OTOH, all our lower cabinets are drawers.

31 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Also, if you can squeeze it in somewhere, I'd go for 2 sinks.  

We have a double sink, and it is very useful.

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 1

We are about ready to start one of the biggest weekends on Amelia Island each year...the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance car show (rebranded this year as "The Amelia"...pretentious??).  We were not here when it was held last year, and it was smaller last year due to Covid, so this will be our first experience with the craziness that overtakes the island.  It's less than a 10 minute walk from our house to the main show grounds at the Ritz.  We've been told to stock up on everything that we might need for the weekend since traffic will be crazy and getting out of our neighborhood can be difficult.  It attracts many of the top car people from around the world.  The main show and judging is on Sunday but there are various auctions, driving experiences, parades, lectures, other shows (e.g. concours d'Lemons), etc. starting on Thursday.  

There will be a lot of classic cars, muscle cars, and supercars auctioned off during the week (3 different auction companies running 3 different auctions).  I found this 2005 Ford GT, expected to sell between $400-500K.  Let me know @A&L_Ont if you want me to make a bid for you. 😁  If that doesn't tickle your fancy, maybe a 2019 Bugatti Chiron Sport or a 2020 McLaren Speedtail, both in the $3MM range.  Or if money is truly not a concern, how about a 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder for about $5M?

We'll be attending on Saturday and Sunday.  I'll try to post some pictures.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

The first time I hosted, years ago, Dick took himself off somewhere to eat dinner. 
He came home and promptly hid in his study/man cave. (Which he still does)

I did the exact same thing.  The later it got in the evening, the more I had to turn up the volume on the TV to overcome the noise.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't know if you will have the counter space for this, but we like our wall oven with wall microwave over it, and a second Breville counter-top oven.  The Breville is large enough to truly act as a second oven (and often a first oven) plus we use it as a toaster, air fryer, pizza maker, etc.  

I'd be careful of a double oven with microwave over it.  Micheline is 5' 1 3/4" (the 3/4" is very important to her) and could not reach the microwave in a house we looked at.  It was one of the reasons that we decided not to buy the house.

Also, if you can squeeze it in somewhere, I'd go for 2 sinks.  One can be used for prep while the other is used for cleaning.  If they are slightly spread out, it lets 2 people work in the kitchen at the same time without bumping into each other.  And I fully agree with lower drawers, or pull-out shelves if you want cabinet faces.  So much easier.

Our microwave/oven combo is a little different. 

20220301_180433.thumb.jpg.63d6751e14f483ba1af73de2c64c0269.jpg

Door opens down like a typical oven.

A little rough if you're vertically challenged 

20220301_180446.thumb.jpg.33884915800c1c8a2fabe458096dc4ad.jpg

Also a fan of the big drawers. Full of tupperware type stuff

20220301_180421.thumb.jpg.cc958bfa54252d85b04d88f9d2056deb.jpg

As far as islands, I'm a firm believer that wider is better than deeper. This 12 × 4 1/2

20220301_180409.thumb.jpg.740790f4bacb73c7ecee5512f55275d3.jpg

More opportunity to stand around them during a gathering. Also easier to reach across

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Just curious, and pls. don't take it wrong -- why 2 ovens?

Speaking of the "drawer microwave" -- personally, I don't like the idea of bending over for any type of "oven". The microwave in the first picture is perfectly positioned IMHO.

OTOH, all our lower cabinets are drawers.

We have a double sink, and it is very useful.

double ovens are nice to have if you cook for holiday meals or baking cookies, etc.   i.e. if you are cooking a turkey in one oven then you can cook the side dishes in the 2nd oven.

I definitely agree as I don't like having to bend over for any type of stove.  

• Like 2

We always said we were Italian if asked since both of my grandparents on my father’s side is from Sicily, I did a dna test a few years ago and while I am half Italian my mothers side is a true smorgasbord on European countries England, Ireland , Swedish, Finish and a few other countries.

• Like 4

There will be a lot of classic cars, muscle cars, and supercars auctioned off during the week (3 different auction companies running 3 different auctions).  I found this 2005 Ford GT, expected to sell between $400-500K.  Let me know @A&L_Ont if you want me to make a bid for you. 😁  If that doesn't tickle your fancy, maybe a 2019 Bugatti Chiron Sport or a 2020 McLaren Speedtail, both in the $3MM range.  Or if money is truly not a concern, how about a 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder for about $5M?

Please bid away, and let me know what you bring home.  Which auction(s) are you attending. Both RM and Bonhams have great auctioneers. The more English their accent the better the auctioneer is when it comes to cars.

I know a couple guys from here at home who will be at the auctions.  Maybe selling, and always looking to buy if the price is right. If you are familiar with Legendary Motorcar, Peter Klutt and his crew they are the collective group. They had a show on Speed TV and Velocity and now on YouTube.  Keep you eyes open for them and say hello if you have a chance, they are everyday people. Also tell them that you “know” Andrew, from just north of London.  They’ll know who I am. 😁

Here is a comparable video they did of three generations of the Ford GT. Great video and prepare you for the Concours and auction. 

We'll be attending on Saturday and Sunday.  I'll try to post some pictures.

Please do. IMO the more photos the better. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Woohoo I'm back!!  I just had my new Samsung Galaxy Book laptop installed.  I just couldn't type on that little cell phone keyboard.  Best is that the tech was able to transfer my old MS Office to this computer.  Saved us $149.  We gave him a nice tip!  So glad to type on a regular laptop keyboard again with n's and b's intact.

@Sea DogGreg, you're making wonderful progress.  I love your Sea Dog photo at the end of your posts.

@lenquixote66 Lenny, condolences on Toby's friend's passing.

@George C Welcome home!  I warmed up the Dallas area for you.

Kitchen redecorating sounds and looks exciting.

Carry on!

Thanks,Bonnie.

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Seems like too much for one wall space.  
Also, it depends on why you want/need double ovens. If just for the additional oven (great for holidays, entertaining, etc), maybe a regular slide in range with oven, then one wall oven with microwave above.  If it’s to avoid bending to access the oven, this wouldn’t be a good option. 
I don’t have double ovens but would love to; just not willing to remodel the entire kitchen to get them.  

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I did the exact same thing.  The later it got in the evening, the more I had to turn up the volume on the TV to overcome the noise.

Did you mean to say “the more wine that was consumed, the more you had to turn up the tv” ?!

• Haha 1