Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

32 minutes ago, George C said:

Hoping for a repeat of the 2000 World Series Yankees against Mets hopefully with same ending. I have been a Yankee fan all of my life.

+1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I remember 6 :CBS,NBC,ABC,WPIX,WNET ,Dumont and one other .

Did you not have WOR (Ch 9) or PBS (Ch13)? 

Never heard of Dumont. Must be a local Long Island channel. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Joe Franklin had a good show.

The Mets just scored 7 in the ninth to beat Philly 8-7! The Rangers won also.  My son and husband are happy campers.

I'm happy as that guarantees I'm going to Wednesday nights Ranger game. 

Hoping for a victory this time.

• Like 2

Well darn it. It turns out it is the monitor, not the computer. Screen goes black every 2 seconds. New Monitor coming soon. Very annoying. Computers are truly useless without a monitor. 

I was a juror on one trial many years ago, it lasted 4 days and was really interesting. 

Mr. H, a transient was playing with himself in a local laundromat. A mom and her young son were quite upset by his behavior and called the police. She had to make a citizen's arrest. And when the police took him into custody, they found that he was in possession of "a green leafy substance resembling marijuana". :classic_huh: And assorted drug paraphernalia. They actually had a lab person testify that it was pot. 

Mr. H slept through a lot of his trial. :classic_smile: We did find him guilty of the lesser charge. He had to register as a sex offender and received probation. 

The awkward part of it was that the probation office was directly across the hall from my office (agriculture dept.). I would come out of my office, and Mr. H would be sitting on the bench waiting to talk to his officer. 

I was mortified, even though he had no idea who I was. I would also see him wander around town sometimes. :classic_biggrin: 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, clochette said:

5 day Adventure out of Cape Liberty to Canada, should be an interesting cruise, stops in Bar Harbor and Halifax.

Love Bar Harbor and Halifax. We've been on two cruises there, once from Boston and once from New York. Some of Gary's old school friends live near Halifax and it was great meeting up with them again. Very easy to hire a car in Halifax port 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I might be in the minority,  but I love jury duty.  I relish the chance to throw bad guys in jail & dismiss frivolous law suits. 😁

I done both but haven't served in over 30 years. I get excited when I get the notice in the mail but I always get dismissed when I call in the night before to see if I'm needed that week. 🤨

I have never been called for jury service. Not sure if there's an age limit here 

• Like 1

So I know this is Royal Caribbean site but Celebrity is really annoying me. Tried numerous times to call them and no answer. Yesterday was on the phone for 1 and half hours before I gave up. My agent tried for over 3 hours and no answer. 

This is the Captain's Club uk number but think it just feeds into the world wide call centre 

They dont answer emails either. So frustrating.  What do you do when you have a problem which isn't fixable on the website ?

Sorry about the rant but they market themselves as a luxury cruise line and you can't even speak to them, let alone sort out the problem

• Like 8

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

So I know this is Royal Caribbean site but Celebrity is really annoying me. Tried numerous times to call them and no answer. Yesterday was on the phone for 1 and half hours before I gave up. My agent tried for over 3 hours and no answer. 

This is the Captain's Club uk number but think it just feeds into the world wide call centre 

They dont answer emails either. So frustrating.  What do you do when you have a problem which isn't fixable on the website ?

Sorry about the rant but they market themselves as a luxury cruise line and you can't even speak to them, let alone sort out the problem

TA said yesterday it was taking over 2 hours to get through to RC.

We ended up booking a week hotel in Orlando instead.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

TA said yesterday it was taking over 2 hours to get through to RC.

We ended up booking a week hotel in Orlando instead.

Weird, called the other day to the Crown and Anchor desk, took less then 5 minutes before I was connected with an agent. Always call the Crown and Anchor number, never the regular Royal Caribbean phone number

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Weird, called the other day to the Crown and Anchor desk, took less then 5 minutes before I was connected with an agent. Always call the Crown and Anchor number, never the regular Royal Caribbean phone number

Cruise we wanted to change was booked through a TA and needed them to do it.

We decided to leave the booking as it was and chose a different date for an Orlando hotel stay.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Did you not have WOR (Ch 9) or PBS (Ch13)? 

Never heard of Dumont. Must be a local Long Island channel. 

I remember Dumont from watching it at my grandparents on Long Island. I think it was one of the original channels from the very beginning.
We didn’t have it in Florida. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I called royal the other morning and was connected within 2 mins.  I was amazed I got thru so quick since others have spoke about long waits.  

The rep said their call center has been hiring more reps but they have to go thru min 2 week training.  

I just about always call 1st thing in the morning.

Did you book a new cruise or make change to your existing europe sailing?

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sitting relaxing looking out to sea.

16518396106317532890740937490794.jpg

It’s a typical New England spring day here. Cool, damp & chilly with temps only in the 50’s all weekend.  Then next week we have our usual spring jump from 50’s up to mid to high 70’s. 
Gotta have winter & summer clothes at the ready! 

• Like 6

For those truly interested in cutting the cord with your cable company and NOT replacing it with monthly fees from a bunch of online services, ABC/CBS/NBC/PBS/FOX/CW/etc. are still broadcast over the air (OTA) for free.  You can install an HDTV antenna that plugs into the back of your TV and pick up these signals, depending on how far away the signal is being broadcast and how well your antenna can see the signal.  There's a good website called Antenna Web that lets you enter your location, and it will show you the broadcasting stations near you, and the type of antenna needed to receive their signal: 

Antenna Web: AntennaWeb - Antenna Signal Prediction

If you live close to where the signal is being broadcast, you can probably get away with a relatively small indoor antenna.  If you live further away, you may need an outdoor antenna.  In the early days of HDTV, I mounted one of those clothes drying rack looking antennas in my attic in Cincinnati (Time Warner Cable was not offering HDTV to my house at the time).  It was a highly directional antenna, meaning that it could pick up signals from far away, but couldn't find signals too well left or right of where the antenna was pointed.  The other option is an omnidirectional antenna that can find signals in any direction, but can't find them as far away.  All of the Cincinnati broadcasters at the time were in the same general area so I could point my antenna in one place and receive all of them.

After the initial cost of buying and installing antenna(s) and running cables to your TVs, this is truly free.  @Sea Dog may know better, but I believe that these TV stations are required by the FCC to continue to broadcast their signal for free for some period of time.   One of the disadvantages of this approach though is no DVR.  There are 3rd party boxes that you can buy from companies like Tivo (remember them?) and Channel Master that you plug an antenna into and will give you DVR functionality.  Some have only a one time purchase price, and some also have an annual fee.  If you can survive with just the TV stations that broadcast an OTA signal, this is a very workable solution.  We can't survive that way though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Well I reached the end of my physical therapy. Today was my last day. I thanked all my therapists by bringing in a box of a dozen gourmet cookies from a bakery called Crumbl's. If you have one in your city or get the opportunity to eat one of the chocolate chip cookies they are to die for.

I had my last surgeon's visit yesterday and got a clean bill of health and they are pleased at where I am at. I will go back in a year for a check up and then talk about getting the other knee done.

I wish everything was over but I will still need to exercise my knee and muscles to strengthen it. I will have some swelling and pain for more months to come but at least I'm making progress.

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice and wished me well. Your support means everything to me.

I think I'll celebrate with a cupcake.

Congrats on reaching this milestone Greg!  While you still have more work to do, it's important to celebrate the milestones along the way.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I called royal the other morning and was connected within 2 mins.  I was amazed I got thru so quick since others have spoke about long waits.  

The rep said their call center has been hiring more reps but they have to go thru min 2 week training.  

I just about always call 1st thing in the morning.

Did you book a new cruise or make change to your existing europe sailing?

Did not book anything new, just put in a waitlist for a higher Category Balcony for the Panama Canal cruise we have booked in 2023.....What sucks though the waitlist is only good for 1 month at a time, so I would need to call back every month to then to extend the waitlist.

Europe sailing is still booked, tried to get them to move the price to another sailing, they are not going for it this time. They will however give us back our deposit in cash and NOT a FCC.

Tired of chasing down that OS, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Had there been no extended cruise stoppage because of Covid we would have been there and back by now. Oh well.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I should of mentioned yesterday  when I posted the RC letter welcoming us today. Our cruise is supposed to start next week not today.  Talk about an early boarding time.

What ship?

22 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I might be in the minority,  but I love jury duty.  I relish the chance to throw bad guys in jail & dismiss frivolous law suits. 😁

I done both but haven't served in over 30 years. I get excited when I get the notice in the mail but I always get dismissed when I call in the night before to see if I'm needed that week. 🤨

I had my first jury duty several years ago and the bailiff in the jury room said something that makes a lot of sense.  He said that most people dread jury duty going into it, but are happy that they did it coming out.  

I was one of the initial 12 selected for the jury box the first time that I was called, and went through the voir dire process.  I heard an overview of the trial and then the lawyers (and the judge) asked a few questions of the jurors (e.g. are you related to any law enforcement officials, what is your occupation, etc.).  I told them that I was an Engineer, which I was told often gets you out of jury duty.  Lawyers don't typically want logical thinking people.  They want people who will think more emotionally.  The judge asked if there's any reason why any of the jurors don't think they can serve.  I raised my hand and said that I had a lot of important things happening at work (which was true) and didn't know how well I could focus on the trial.  The judge and lawyers disappeared for a few minutes and then returned.  The judge announced that juror numbers x, y, z are excused.  I was one of the excused jurors.  I don't know if it was because of what I said, or because I was an engineer, or both.  Several times since then I've had to do the daily calls to see if I've been chosen, but have never been picked.  I kind of wish that I'd gone through the whole trial for that first jury duty summons to get the experience.

• Like 3

I am strongly considering booking the artic crossing on serenade Sept 2023.  Love the itinerary and plenty of port stops for a crossing.

Really like that it leaves from Copenhagen as that is somewhere we have been wanting to go the last couple of years.

Has anyone done the artic crossing in the fall?  

• Like 1