Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

I was born in FL and have lived here most of my life with 5 years in CA. In October of 1989 I was home alone with our 4 week old son when the earthquake hit during the World Series. I was terrified as everything fell out of the cabinets and later on seeing the destruction. I guess it depends what you are used to because I couldn't understand when people say they would rather be in an earthquake than a hurricane. At least we have notice and can leave.

We lived in the foothills of San Jose during the Loma Prieta earthquake. Mike was at Moffett Field and I worked in Silicone Valley. Building I worked in you had to have a key card to get in or out of it. I’ll never forget it. I was trying to leave work when it hit. I couldn’t get out and the emergency release button wasn’t working or at least for a few minutes it wouldn’t. I freaked out.

Our other building that was just completed was in the same parking lot. It was all glass. All I could see was this wall of moving glass. It was scary since I thought it was going to all break out. It was amazing there wasn’t any broken outside glass. They build the buildings on rollers or something. Unbelievable how it works. I also grew up with hurricanes and I would much rather be around them. As you said you can run when necessary. My co-workers thought the opposite. They were afraid of hurricanes.

• Like 5

Something I posted on the main board that happened on Sunday.

Got off the Allure yesterday. The ship docked in the opposite direction so they could use some cranes for work on the port side. Line was long getting off. It started past the aft elevators on deck 5 and went thru the MDR then onto the jogging track and back forward of the ship to depart. There was a crew member who was standing at the entrance of the MDR making sure no one cut in line from the side. Line was slow moving so we over heard a conversation.

Passenger tries to cut into the line and crew member says she has to go to the back of the line. Passenger looked back at the long line and says her group number was 5 and she has to be at the airport in 30 minutes. They are now up to group 28. Crew member told her she should have gotten up earlier. 😱  I turned to my husband thinking I didn’t hear what I just heard because no crew would ever be so bold and tell it like it is. Yep, I heard right. I was so happy she stood her ground even when the passenger kept trying to talk her way into the front of the line. Later as the line snaked around I could see her way behind us. That crew member made my day. 🥂 😁

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Passenger tries to cut into the line and crew member says she has to go to the back of the line. Passenger looked back at the long line and says her group number was 5 and she has to be at the airport in 30 minutes. They are now up to group 28. Crew member told her she should have gotten up earlier. 😱  I turned to my husband thinking I didn’t hear what I just heard because no crew would ever be so bold and tell it like it is. Yep, I heard right. I was so happy she stood her ground even when the passenger kept trying to talk her way into the front of the line. Later as the line snaked around I could see her way behind us. That crew member made my day. 🥂 😁

Awesome!!!

I can't believe that anyone would think they could get to the airport in 30 minutes if they were still on the ship and not even in line to get off.  

I can see it now: "I shouldn't have to wait in line to get off the ship because I waited too long to get off the ship," followed by, "I shouldn't have to wait in line for Customs because I waited too long to get off the ship," followed by, "I shouldn't have to wait in line to get a taxi because I waited too long to get off the ship," followed by, "I shouldn't have to wait in line to check my luggage with the airline because I waited too long to get off the ship," followed by, "I shouldn't have to wait in line to go through security because I waited too long to get off the ship."

I am so sick and tired of people not taking responsibility for their actions!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Hoping you get to MIA this Friday!

Thank you!  We're sailing out of Cape Liberty in NJ.  9:30 it is!!🥰

I agree, 9:30 would be a good pick up time at Cape Liberty.    When you walk out of the terminal stay to your right  and text her the zone number you will be at then she can just pull right up to the curb and load luggage and off you go.

Good luck with your tests today😍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, singinalot said:

Good news for today is that we got our guarantee cabin assignment for the cruise and it’s not awful 👏🏻

here’s a glimpse of tonight’s sunset

B65B0D5F-703C-4320-9F2C-3BEC3211105B.thumb.jpeg.a85653857ef6c210d57bfac1bf68acf2.jpeg

IMG_8299.MOV 24.16 MB · 1 download  

31B48B26-ED4C-4E63-A59B-AEE18C651C92.thumb.jpeg.12a1dcd84e33f6a43294fce5d7b8aaad.jpeg

We have former neighbors and friends from CO in town. They have a flight out of Orlando tomorrow afternoon…fingers crossed for their safe departure

The photos are beautiful.  Is that beach area part of your development or a restaurant area?   Looks like a great place to hang out😍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

We lived in the foothills of San Jose during the Loma Prieta earthquake. Mike was at Moffett Field and I worked in Silicone Valley. Building I worked in you had to have a key card to get in or out of it. I’ll never forget it. I was trying to leave work when it hit. I couldn’t get out and the emergency release button wasn’t working or at least for a few minutes it wouldn’t. I freaked out.

Our other building that was just completed was in the same parking lot. It was all glass. All I could see was this wall of moving glass. It was scary since I thought it was going to all break out. It was amazing there wasn’t any broken outside glass. They build the buildings on rollers or something. Unbelievable how it works. I also grew up with hurricanes and I would much rather be around them. As you said you can run when necessary. My co-workers thought the opposite. They were afraid of hurricanes.

We were in Fremont at the time so not that far from you.

• Like 1

Seems they are going to close the Tampa Airport today at 5pm and they will be turning off some of the Power in the City of Tampa because of the storm surge.

They said they are doing this to save some of the equipment rather then it be under water when the power is live in those underground lines.

Could get 3 months of rain in the next 3 days in the Tampa/St. Petersburg, Sarasota area........their average per month is usually 6 inches.

NFL is considering moving the Chiefs/Bucs game from Tampa to a neutral site this Sunday because of the hurricane.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

well, i was up from 3-6 watching the storm.

here’s the latest but we’re still going to brace for impact

2FFB244C-9821-422E-A2AA-6F17E7D0AE41.thumb.jpeg.3bad73fcbd1f37224bd8dea9f19ade66.jpeg

223A9618-0E5C-4AC6-8128-F7398E0D1AB0.thumb.png.a63bb6228bd1e6141b41844b6f84d046.png

324AA260-94D3-4F9D-8E90-D331146FBBD6.png

What is the nearest body of water from your house and how far from it are you?

You are near New Port Richey right?, so you might be better off now since prediction now is for the direct hit further South in Sarasota

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

well, i was up from 3-6 watching the storm.

here’s the latest but we’re still going to brace for impact

2FFB244C-9821-422E-A2AA-6F17E7D0AE41.thumb.jpeg.3bad73fcbd1f37224bd8dea9f19ade66.jpeg

223A9618-0E5C-4AC6-8128-F7398E0D1AB0.thumb.png.a63bb6228bd1e6141b41844b6f84d046.png

324AA260-94D3-4F9D-8E90-D331146FBBD6.png

Denis Phillips is a great meteorologist!  My girlfriend who lives on Anna Maria Island got me hooked on following him, even though I live in MI!  Stay Safe!!!!

• Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 5:36 PM, Ocean Boy said:

The Charles W. Morgan, the Seaport's main ship attraction. She is a whaler that sailed our if New Bedford, MA. I always have mixed feeling when I see the ship because of its whaling history and the barbaric and painful way that the whales were taken. I have the same feelings about my childhood home, Nsntucket, which had a large whaling fleet but history is what it is.

20220925_163453.thumb.jpg.25751f0d7d7447d4484bc1575da8ad72.jpg

Welcome aboard 

20220925_163547.thumb.jpg.a33db505f66c994c5b7601eef7bad19e.jpg

The captain's wife's cabin on the main deck. She did not like it diwn below.

20220925_163453.thumb.jpg.25751f0d7d7447d4484bc1575da8ad72.jpg

20220925_163659.jpg

Captain’s cabin?

Downright luxurious!

Edited to say I posted this before I saw the captain’s real cabin complete with en-suite toilet!

Edited by jagsfan
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Jimbo said:

To All our friends on this thread who live in Florida, please post your plans as to what you are doing to get ready for this upcoming "Hurricane Ian".

Suppose to a powerful slow moving storm.

140 mph winds on Wednesday Morning.😲

Tampa Residents,. Mandatory Evacuation in place right now.

Our Aunt and Uncle live in Sarasota, their plans are going to stay in a hotel in Port St. Lucie which is on the east coast and ride it out there.

Whatever you do , please be smart and stay safe.

We prepared by cooking and eating our steak and kidney pie. We kept it frozen since February, saving it for a special occasion. 
We also charged our power banks to be sure our cell phones and Kindles had no worries. 
Other than that, filled the gas tank in case power went out and gas pumps didn’t work, dug out flashlights and batteries, and bought bread. 
Our normal hurricane preparations. 
Reporting from Northeast Florida, home if the Jacksonville Jaguars. image.png.780f397b850a42b2fd3ea3130943ec38.png

• Like 15

15 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I just remembered that Kenzie's sister had one a couple years ago at her other grandparents house.  Caden had an Escalade.  I need to ask my DD if it is still around.

Our cool grandkids approx. 6 years ago.  

11139007_10152911741753877_6570635498913017098_n[1].jpg

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 17

16 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Thought the same thing when we moved from NJ 2 years ago. Always thought we would be moving to Florida. The more and more we thought about it just couldn't pull the trigger, between the hurricanes and the heat just thought more and more it wasn't it for us

Very happy though with our move to Southwest Virginia. Very nice here, we made the right move for us..  🙂

Heat isn't a problem... We get that in spades now.  I'm just totally freaked out by extreme weather.  It doesn't matter if it is hurricanes or tornados, those types extreme weather events just totally terrify me.  I've just about got DW convinced that when we settle and stop the full-time travel, we settle in a small Idaho town.  I told her we can come back to see the kids in winter when it is not hellishly hot and enjoy the beauty and moderate climate of the NW the rest of the year.  She's still skeptical but she's warming up to the idea.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

What is the nearest body of water from your house and how far from it are you?

You are near New Port Richey right?, so you might be better off now since prediction now is for the direct hit further South in Sarasota

Ugh, Sarasota.  Right where my moms condo is.🤯

E7B2E1ED-2AE8-4EE9-AEF0-C9BC5B5CBF8C.thumb.jpeg.6cb67aacfbfad1d58bb3553c9f8214d3.jpeg

She is on the second floor. 

2C15BFC5-EDDF-47F2-9307-EAEFE3E0100B.thumb.jpeg.7a7be92ab469df001ac3e8dc4bfaa207.jpeg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Seems they are going to close the Tampa Airport today at 5pm and they will be turning off some of the Power in the City of Tampa because of the storm surge.

They said they are doing this to save some of the equipment rather then it be under water when the power is live in those underground lines.

Could get 3 months of rain in the next 3 days in the Tampa/St. Petersburg, Sarasota area........their average per month is usually 6 inches.

NFL is considering moving the Chiefs/Bucs game from Tampa to a neutral site this Sunday because of the hurricane.

while eating lunch I just read online news article about they may shut down power in a small area of Zone A for Tampa as early as tomorrow morning.   That area is under evacuation orders so it makes sense to be pro-active and to shut it down before the storm.    

• Like 3