Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

It is only 2 1/2 weeks before we are to leave for Rome to start our 10/19 Odyssey Holy Land cruise and the 10/31 Transatlantic back to the states.  We would spend 4 days in Florence before getting to Civitavecchia to start the cruise.   I should be really excited and packing by now.  Instead, I am faced with physical challenge and uncertainly of whether I can take this trip.

Last Saturday, I woke up and felt excruciating sciatica back pain from my lower back all the way down my leg.  This was the worse I've ever experienced.  I couldn't get out of bed.  Every move hurt from the shooting nerve pain.  I couldn't sit up, stand or walk.  I felt like I needed to get to the ER but didn't know how I was going to get in the car to get me there.  Figured I'd need an ambulance where they'd have to roll me onto a gurney to take me there.  But eventually, I did get out of bed because staying laying down is worst for sciatica.  You need to keep moving.  So, with the help of DH, I leaned on him and scooted little by little and got out to the kitchen.  In that condition, I thought how would I be able to make this trip.  If it hurt to sit, how was I going to sit for a 12 1/2 hour flight let alone all the tours that we would be doing at each port.  We had come to the realization that we may have to cancel this trip if I didn't improve.  So since then, I have been on pain medication, nerve pain medication, muscle relaxant, heating pad, etc. This Tuesday, I will have video appointment with the Spine Clinic.  I may have to receive an injection.  That's a big needle I'm trying to avoid.

So, this is where we are at at the moment.  We had been planning this trip for 3 years.  I always had a fear that either my sciatica problem or vertigo problem would change these plans.  And sure enough, I am having to deal with it now.  I guess it's a blessing that I wasn't on a ship when this episode happened.  It would be so far away from home that I don't know what I would've done.

Anyway, thanks for listening.  Please pray for me to heal enough to dull the pain and for it to subside a bit where I would be able to sit down and able to walk.

• Like 23

52 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

After spending 3 days in the kitchen, DH churned out the usual "suspects" 😕 -- chicken soup, chopped liver, stuffed fish, and one novelty -- comfort food/stew.

Our next door neighbor gifted us a newly backed "challah" [Challah is a special bread of Ashkenazi Jewish origin, usually braided and typically eaten on ceremonial occasions such as Shabbat and major Jewish holidays. ]

image.thumb.jpeg.500362f3644882a9813df6d23c643da4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f3c73da7b91a27768ce52585e5c330cc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.09a4e5f27d760c0600fd14c09a4f1258.jpeg

Everything looks delicious but then your husband is an amazing cook..  My mom always made hard boiled eggs to eat with the fish broth.

Is that chulent I see?

Challah (I have heard it called "egg bread") makes the best french toast.

11 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

If it's the hospital I'm thinking of,  that begins with the letter N, then it has always had a bad reputation as long as I can remember.  Bedside manners & patient comfort are definitely a low priority.  People told me they rather get treated in a back alley by a witch doctor (no offense to witches) than go to that hospital. It has been acquired by one of the bigger, well known NYC hospital chains a few years ago so perhaps things have improved since then?

Yes, begins with the letter N and ends with a K.  I had no choice.  It was where my doctor performed surgeries.  This was approx. 32 years ago.  Nurses were awful.  No warmth or compassion.  Seemed resentful having to take care of me.  I got great care here in TX and I like to think the NY nurses (or aides) were the exception.

11 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I have no idea how this duplicate popped up in here.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

We are still on the edge of the cone and a few of the spaghetti models are going over us but it still has plenty of time to keep shifting west. 

I sincerely hope that this bypasses you, as well as the entire West Coast.  Stay safe!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

After spending 3 days in the kitchen, DH churned out the usual "suspects" 😕 -- chicken soup, chopped liver, stuffed fish, and one novelty -- comfort food/stew.

Our next door neighbor gifted us a newly backed "challah" [Challah is a special bread of Ashkenazi Jewish origin, usually braided and typically eaten on ceremonial occasions such as Shabbat and major Jewish holidays. ]

I can make a meal out of chicken livers and challah!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

It is only 2 1/2 weeks before we are to leave for Rome to start our 10/19 Odyssey Holy Land cruise and the 10/31 Transatlantic back to the states.  We would spend 4 days in Florence before getting to Civitavecchia to start the cruise.   I should be really excited and packing by now.  Instead, I am faced with physical challenge and uncertainly of whether I can take this trip.

Last Saturday, I woke up and felt excruciating sciatica back pain from my lower back all the way down my leg.  This was the worse I've ever experienced.  I couldn't get out of bed.  Every move hurt from the shooting nerve pain.  I couldn't sit up, stand or walk.  I felt like I needed to get to the ER but didn't know how I was going to get in the car to get me there.  Figured I'd need an ambulance where they'd have to roll me onto a gurney to take me there.  But eventually, I did get out of bed because staying laying down is worst for sciatica.  You need to keep moving.  So, with the help of DH, I leaned on him and scooted little by little and got out to the kitchen.  In that condition, I thought how would I be able to make this trip.  If it hurt to sit, how was I going to sit for a 12 1/2 hour flight let alone all the tours that we would be doing at each port.  We had come to the realization that we may have to cancel this trip if I didn't improve.  So since then, I have been on pain medication, nerve pain medication, muscle relaxant, heating pad, etc. This Tuesday, I will have video appointment with the Spine Clinic.  I may have to receive an injection.  That's a big needle I'm trying to avoid.

So, this is where we are at at the moment.  We had been planning this trip for 3 years.  I always had a fear that either my sciatica problem or vertigo problem would change these plans.  And sure enough, I am having to deal with it now.  I guess it's a blessing that I wasn't on a ship when this episode happened.  It would be so far away from home that I don't know what I would've done.

Anyway, thanks for listening.  Please pray for me to heal enough to dull the pain and for it to subside a bit where I would be able to sit down and able to walk.

Praying the meds kick the sciatica to the curb. So disappointing to have this happen at just the wrong time. Or almost the wrong time. During the cruise would be worse. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Yes, begins with the letter N and ends with a K.  I had no choice.  It was where my doctor performed surgeries.  This was approx. 32 years ago.  Nurses were awful.  No warmth or compassion.  Seemed resentful having to take care of me.  I got great care here in TX and I like to think the NY nurses (or aides) were the exception.

I'm pretty sure its' that one hospital that is the exception. Others in the area - Bergen County, Westchester & Putnam Counties, have always given great and compassionate care.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Sending you our prayers 🙏.

I hope your pain goes as quick as it came.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

It is only 2 1/2 weeks before we are to leave for Rome to start our 10/19 Odyssey Holy Land cruise

So since then, I have been on pain medication, nerve pain medication, muscle relaxant, heating pad, etc.

Helen, so sorry and at such a bad moment. I had a compressed nerve, which was discovered after being given Voltaren injection and oxycodone for the pain and it didn't help at all, and "Lyrica" was the only medication which helped, albeit it kicked in after a few days.

I'm sure you know about it, but thought to mention, just in case.

🤞 🤞 🤞 you'll get relief.  

14 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Is that chulent I see?

Kind of... it didn't spend the whole night in the oven, without the "kishkes", hard boiled eggs, onions, honey, etc.

During the winter, DH's "chulent" is famous.... here's one pic of winter chulent --

image.thumb.jpeg.dc2adb95d4635ce3ea1bc8eb1bb63ea8.jpeg

BTW, he makes his own horse radish with beets for the gefilte fish, burning eyes included....😉

10 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I can make a meal out of chicken livers and challah!

That's exactly what our eldest has done before leaving us and heading home to beat the traffic....

• Like 11

50 minutes ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

So sorry to hear of your sciatica troubles.   I hope and prayer the pain goes away quickly and you are able to do your long awaited trip.   🙏🦋

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'm sure you are relaying the information as it was told to you but is it possible your friend might have "embellished" some of the stories he told you?  It does appear that he had minimal big league playing time in a year where Mantle did not play the outfield. Perhaps he tossed the ball back and forth with Mantle in pregame warmups or Spring Training games in the outfield. I'm sure he has plenty of clubhouse stories though.

I have a friend that had one chance encounter with David Cone at a charity event & the way she tells the story, they are the best of drinking buddies now.  They are not, I think she had one beer with him. She tends to tell a lot of tall tales.

After Frank retired from baseball he joined the FDNY.He was not working on 9/11/2001 but he heard about what happened and drove to the area to do whatever was possible.He tells people that he lost 343 friends that day .He did not know them all personally but they were his “brothers.I shall refrain from posting about him as a Yankee any longer on CC.

Do you understand what I am saying ?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Your Husband is an amazing cook.  Everything looks delicious.  Enjoy🥰

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

If it's the hospital I'm thinking of,  that begins with the letter N, then it has always had a bad reputation as long as I can remember.  Bedside manners & patient comfort are definitely a low priority.  People told me they rather get treated in a back alley by a witch doctor (no offense to witches) than go to that hospital. It has been acquired by one of the bigger, well known NYC hospital chains a few years ago so perhaps things have improved since then?

I know the hospital that you are referencing.My father died in a NYC hospital that had an awful reputation .

The Charles W. Morgan, the Seaport's main ship attraction. She is a whaler that sailed our if New Bedford, MA. I always have mixed feeling when I see the ship because of its whaling history and the barbaric and painful way that the whales were taken. I have the same feelings about my childhood home, Nsntucket, which had a large whaling fleet but history is what it is.

20220925_163453.thumb.jpg.25751f0d7d7447d4484bc1575da8ad72.jpg

Welcome aboard 

20220925_163547.thumb.jpg.a33db505f66c994c5b7601eef7bad19e.jpg

The captain's wife's cabin on the main deck. She did not like it diwn below.

20220925_163453.thumb.jpg.25751f0d7d7447d4484bc1575da8ad72.jpg

20220925_163659.jpg

• Like 15