Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 11/8/2023 at 2:15 PM, aussielozzie18 said:

How is DH’s cooking going?  Are  you able to go out to the supermarket/stores and are there many products available to you? Do you and your neighbours help each other with sharing food/ingredients?

DH is still cooking... DS1 asked for some comfort food for the weekly Friday night get together, and DH was happy to oblige with my late mom stuffed cabbage recipe. It was excellent. I've managed to get a pic before DH had a chance to "stage" it....

image.thumb.jpeg.505045acbffe8495785fc5b350921ec3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2066b8d615883fd7512c35f206c3a271.jpeg

Food shopping - luckily, we have a supermarket a few mins walk from our building. Usually, we manage to stop by between air raids, since there is a "cease fire" of at least 30 mins between them. Many products are missing, since, for poultry, many workers were Palestinians coming over daily from the Gaza strip. Moreover, the area which was attacked is agricultural, now a war zone, many products are just wilting in the fields. Prices have risen considerably.

Many of our neighbors have moved with family/friends outside the range of air raids. Others, like our next door neighbors, are all reservists who have been called to duty -- mom, dad + daughters...

This morning DH found a "squatter" on our car, who refused to move... Not until DH started moving very very slowly.

image.thumb.jpeg.5e257f1180ada1e28534b9442d61c2e5.jpeg

Since the number of air raids has slowed down considerably in the last days, I've decided to be brave and went to the hairdresser. My first question was: "where are we going to 'congregate' in the event of an air raid?" "Behind this wall" was the answer... [May be 4 people might fit there securely....]

The saloon was empty. It is on ground floor, and the 1st floor is occupied by the nail lady and the eye brows lady, both of them were not in.

My hairdresser employs 2 helpers, one is doing the washing and phones, and the other minor jobs like fan and coloring. Today, the hairdresser's wife was doing the first job. I asked if Antony has left for another position... The reply shocked and saddened me enormously -- "Antony was killed in the music festival, along with his wife and 5 of his friends"....They left behind a 4 year and 7 year old.

It really hit home, since it is someone I've known for years, a free spirit hippy style guy, always with a smile and a laid back attitude. It is so different from hearing that 1400 people were killed, but, luckily, you don't know personally one of them.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

DH is still cooking... DS1 asked for some comfort food for the weekly Friday night get together, and DH was happy to oblige with my late mom stuffed cabbage recipe. It was excellent. I've managed to get a pic before DH had a chance to "stage" it....

Food shopping - luckily, we have a supermarket a few mins walk from our building. Usually, we manage to stop by between air raids, since there is a "cease fire" of at least 30 mins between them. Many products are missing, since, for poultry, many workers were Palestinians coming over daily from the Gaza strip. Moreover, the area which was attacked is agricultural, now a war zone, many products are just wilting in the fields. Prices have risen considerably.

Many of our neighbors have moved with family/friends outside the range of air raids. Others, like our next door neighbors, are all reservists who have been called to duty -- mom, dad + daughters...

This morning DH found a "squatter" on our car, who refused to move... Not until DH started moving very very slowly.

Since the number of air raids has slowed down considerably in the last days, I've decided to be brave and went to the hairdresser. My first question was: "where are we going to 'congregate' in the event of an air raid?" "Behind this wall" was the answer... [May be 4 people might fit there securely....]

The saloon was empty. It is on ground floor, and the 1st floor is occupied by the nail lady and the eye brows lady, both of them were not in.

My hairdresser employs 2 helpers, one is doing the washing and phones, and the other minor jobs like fan and coloring. Today, the hairdresser's wife was doing the first job. I asked if Antony has left for another position... The reply shocked and saddened me enormously -- "Antony was killed in the music festival, along with his wife and 5 of his friends"....They left behind a 4 year and 7 year old.

It really hit home, since it is someone I've known for years, a free spirit hippy style guy, always with a smile and a laid back attitude. It is so different from hearing that 1400 people were killed, but, luckily, you don't know personally one of them.

So  sad . 😞

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, George C said:

About a mile from port , will grab a taxi there then start walking back stopping at bars and shops , many of the shops will give me free beer while Shelagh shops.

Great idea. I need to do this.

33 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

So sad Dani! I’m still thinking of you and hoping you are always safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

The stuffed cabbage looks delicious.    Reminds me I have not made that in quite awhile.   

Your "squatter" looks very content.    Hopefully he still has a family caring for him.   So sorry to hear about Antony.    Take care and Stay Safe💖

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

My late cousin Helen worked many years for Hallmark writing the words in their cards..I cannot recall how she got the job but we occasionally watch the Hallmark Chanel.

My husband’s cousin is an artist and once worked for Hallmark. She has a negative opinion about the company. 

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

Just like "Harlequin" style romance books.  Very formulaic, but sell very well.  Some people like predictability in their entertainment life to off-set the utter chaos of their real life.

I watched the tv show "Battle Creek" with Josh Duhamel because I grew up in Battle Creek (Michigan).  A very few rare scenes were actually filmed in the area, and the entire show was entirely un-Battle-Creek-ish in every way, shape, and form.  

I wasn't surprised when it was announced before the end of the first season that there wouldn't be a second season.  

To give you an idea, there was a murder where someone was drowned in a vat of maple syrup, and to catch the killer they made another huge batch of maple syrup in the space of less than a week, including tapping the trees, gathering the sap, and boiling it down.... AND IT WASN'T EVEN SPRINGTIME!!!!  I forget if it was summer or fall (I want to say fall), but it definitely was NOT sap-running season!

Also, in the opening scene, a main character brought a box of donuts in a pink pastry box to work.... there aren't any donut shops in Battle Creek that have pink boxes.  Disappointment right from the very first scene.... especially since we have a multiple national award-winning donut shop here that they could have promoted!!!

I have the same problems watching pretty much any show with a medical scene (I'm sure OB and Lionesss can relate).  Every show/movie will have a "medical consultant" listed in the credits, but I swear that they never allow the person to give any input to the script or scene settings.  Hollywood is probably one of the biggest contributors to health illiteracy in this country -- don't believe ANYthing you see in a tv show or movie!!!

Debi, whenever I see "Battle Creek" I think of Rice Krispies!

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Cat.thumb.jpg.c390c21ba5220cfcd06419bbf12b4eb5.jpg

Fortunately, Leonard seldom barfs on the rug but I don't understand his fascination of joining whomever happens to be in the bathroom.

I love the original song "never gonna give you up"

58 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Dani, my heart is with you.  

Stuffed cabbage is one of my and Jack's favorite dishes.  I make "un"stuffed cabbage.  Less work since I know I couldn't make the rolls work for me.  I tried once. Oy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Debi, whenever I see "Battle Creek" I think of Rice Krispies!

I love the original song "never gonna give you up"

Dani, my heart is with you.  

Stuffed cabbage is one of my and Jack's favorite dishes.  I make "un"stuffed cabbage.  Less work since I know I couldn't make the rolls work for me.  I tried once. Oy!

Do you make it stuffed with meat or rice ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Oh Dani that is so heartbreaking 😞.  Prayers for your continued safety 🙏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Cat.thumb.jpg.c390c21ba5220cfcd06419bbf12b4eb5.jpg

Fortunately, Leonard seldom barfs on the rug but I don't understand his fascination of joining whomever happens to be in the bathroom.

All of my cats have bathroom curiosity.   Eric doesn't like being stared at so he makes sure to latch door but then they sit outside the door waiting for him.  

Eva is fascinated with the shower and will also go in as soon as I come out.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

It blows my mind that people will actually pay those prices for Coco Cay.

And $270 to spend maybe eight hours at the beach club, and it doesn't even include free drinks????  Don't even get me started....

The price for the half day bushwalk that I posted photos of just recently on Princess was $299pp.  Thankfully the cruise came with promo OBC so that offset most of the cost.  

Amedee Island in Noumea and snorkelling day excursion on the Great Barrier Reef are around $250pp or more .

Can understand your disbelief that cruisers are paying such inflated prices but they are standard prices for many day excursions here. 

No doubt when RCL finally open the resort in the South Pacific, the price will be high.

• Like 2