Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

If I had to guess in the context, the idea would be something like “are you are hiding in my chimney to hear/know all that happens in my house”.

Sounds like a more colorful way to say "Lurking in the shadows" or just "Lurker".

I'm going to try to use it someday, both here on CC and IRL. 😉

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not holding my breath.😏

I would be interested if anyone has a sound decibel meter app on their phone to take some readings in some of these shows.Sounds at 85 dBA can lead to hearing loss if you listen to them for more than 8 hours at a time. Sounds over 85 dBa can damage your hearing faster. I would be very curious what the readings are.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I would be interested if anyone has a sound decibel meter app on their phone to take some readings in some of these shows.Sounds at 85 dBA can lead to hearing loss if you listen to them for more than 8 hours at a time. Sounds over 85 dBa can damage your hearing faster. I would be very curious what the readings are.

That would be helpful in having some data to present to them along with a complaint . 
Could always ask the sound mixer , also . Complain to guest services , CD , activities director and at meet the captain.  Trip advisor, start a thread on here and f b Royal Caribbean and start a write in to Bayley .  I once complained to his fb page and my problem was fixed the next week . Then there’s the cruise survey . 

How are you ? Any improvement ? Where are you staying in Oct …. LA , Long Beach or San Pedro ? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NHProud said:

How are you ? Any improvement ? Where are you staying in Oct …. LA , Long Beach or San Pedro ? 

I'm doing alittle better. Went to the urologist and they took out the catheter. If things don't get better they may have to put it back in. Main thing he is worried about is my PSA is very high. They want to do a biopsy for prostrate cancer. I am not looking forward to that but I need to do something.

We are staying at the Double Tree in San Pedro. Got a fairly decent room rate. We are coming in two nights early as I would like to visit some of LA's famous Tiki Bars. Unfortunately they are not close to San Pedro so I'm sure I will be able to visit some as a Uber would cost about $70 one way.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

No Philadelphia Flyers or Or Philadelphia Fans ever liked Jaromir Jagr or  Sidney Crosby or Mario Lemieux. Every time either of those 3 players every touched the puck in Philadelphia, the fans would go crazy booing.

I remember how hockey was in the 70's and 80's, that is the when hockey was really a hockey ..............I liked how rough the games were and how tough all the players had to be, hockey now is like watching the ice capades, not much hitting anymore or great fights, mostly the reason why I don't watch much hockey now at all.

Yep that’s classic.  Trust me I’m fully aware how Philly fans react to anything from Pittsburgh 😂 

I was center ice about 10 rows back for this fight when Arron  Asham knocked out Jay Beagle cold.  It was controversial because of his gestures after the fight.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, NHProud said:

That would be helpful in having some data to present to them along with a complaint . 
Could always ask the sound mixer , also . Complain to guest services , CD , activities director and at meet the captain.  Trip advisor, start a thread on here and f b Royal Caribbean and start a write in to Bayley .  I once complained to his fb page and my problem was fixed the next week . Then there’s the cruise survey . 

Royal's response: Probably in one ear and out the other.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm doing alittle better. Went to the urologist and they took out the catheter. If things don't get better they may have to put it back in. Main thing he is worried about is my PSA is very high. They want to do a biopsy for prostrate cancer. I am not looking forward to that but I need to do something.

We are staying at the Double Tree in San Pedro. Got a fairly decent room rate. We are coming in two nights early as I would like to visit some of LA's famous Tiki Bars. Unfortunately they are not close to San Pedro so I'm sure I will be able to visit some as a Uber would cost about $70 one way.

Go to Roscoe's House of Chicken 'n Waffles  for Breakfast. Eat like the locals. 🙂

730 East Broadway At Los, Alamitos Ave, Long Beach, CA 90802

You won't be disappointed, it's not very far from San Pedro to Long Beach, Ca. about 9 miles from your  hotel.

No photo description available.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 8

28 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

@Sea Dog Hi Greg, I did use an iPhone decibel meter in some of the venues and most are in the 90-95 dBA range when I think it's pretty loud.  In the Icon Music Hall with the Phoenix band I recall it around 100 dBA.  We couldn't stay there for long despite how good the band was because of the loudness.  Below here is the OSHA PELs guidelines from the OHSA website.  There is an attached chart.

With noise, OSHA's permissible exposure limit (PEL) is 90 dBA for all workers for an 8 hour day. The OSHA standard uses a 5 dBA exchange rate. This means that when the noise level is increased by 5 dBA, the amount of time a person can be exposed to a certain noise level to receive the same dose is cut in half.

Industrial Noise Control -- Occupational Health & Safety

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I’m so sorry you are experiencing all of these health problems .  Wishing you the best outcome . 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@h20skibum Maybe Graham @grapau27 could explain that expression about a chimney?

MJ🙎🏻‍♀️

Homes usually with coal fires need a chimney for the fumes to exit the house through the roof.

Sometimes birds or animals set up home in the chimney because it is warm.

Screenshot_20240220_063749.jpg

Screenshot_20240220_064216.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I sure hope it's not prostate cancer. My cousin went thru that and had to learn functions kinda like a woman. I know he says he wouldnt wish it on anyone. Please no but do have it tested.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

A very high PSA needs to be investigated ASAP Greg.

Treatment is excellent now for prostate cancer especially if caught early.

Sincerest prayers 🙏 and good wishes.

• Like 9

@RFerringtonI saw your question about me moving. I am not feeling all that well and saw my gp without any real results, and just was busy. Did some cruise stuff yesterday hotels and such. Yes I'm going to try and move in may after I do mariner. I also need to do a lot of taxes in april I hope so set the closing to sell my dallas house for may 20, so I have a week afte my mariner cruise to get movers in to pack up my stuff.

Meanwhile yes I found a 2nd larger condo I decided to buy in the PC vicinity. Yes I still have the condo I bought originally to move into. Its rented until sept 1. I had a buyer for my house here, not a great price. It seems like prices here have come down. The house next door was flipped and all redone and didnt appraise out for enough and priced below what 2 others sold on my block. So I took less. Time to move on.

In the meantime all kinds of fun. (not). We did the inspection on the new place and it needs a new hot water heater, though I plan to change all the appliances. Last time I posted I was the last day of my 14 day inspection where we had gotten someone in to give a estimate for a new hot water heater, then wrote asking the seller for a new one. They didnt agree. That night my real estate agent got the other agents all to agree to a lower commission and the 3 agents involved are pitching in to buy me a new hot water heater. It's from 2002 and the inspector says old fittings old heater. I was prepared to just replace it so was happily surprised my agent got the agents to accept less commission and all chipped in to pay for a new one. Never expected or heard of this before. The sellers (3 kids who inherited it) couldn't agree and didnt say they would. They couldn't even agree on the clause if any past due from hoa they would pay, 2 out 3 only agreed, so we checked and hoa says nothing owed, so I agreed to remove this standard clause. 

We are now heading I to the home stretch to close. I asked the broker at my trust about borrowing or getting a smallish amount to tide me over between closing. News to me it triggers a tax issue for my CPA and I have to write a signed letter to transfer money from my trust to my checking. I need a trust handbook. 

After we close I plan to get someone in the paint everything fresh. Then hire someone to clean and disinfect from people who were in and out looking when it was for sale. Then hire movers. So I can be out of here so this place is empty when I close to sell here. I still like the condo I bought originally but think it's too small. I'm keeping about 50 small boxes each with a quilt my mom made. No I fought to get them and just got about 15 last Sunday I didnt even know about. Had about 35, now I have about 50. My bil and his daughter just helped themselves to stuff. She had the quilts and said nothing to me until I meet her for lunch a week ago. I'm over being mad and angry at them. Moving on. And moving away from them. I told my doctor I'd been having anger issues when I saw him and my hc sister is also his patient and first thing out of his mouth is defending my sister. Which is why everything from my parents was put into a trust. She is unable and unwilling to do anything but be a princess. Here take the house, I'm gone. Consider myself lucky she found a guy to marry whom is a dynamo of energy and willing to do all the work. No one else I've ever heard of could go thru and clear out a large house of 40 years of stuff and have a garage sale 9 days after the funeral. And he does all the work, she doesnt cook or clean or do any work around the house. Just gets her nails and hair done and they go out to eat. Consider myself lucky she didnt have to move in with me. The new bigger condo has room if she ever does move in with me. Large 3 bedroom, over 2k sf.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

@h20skibum referenced how long the poster had been member of CC and how few posts they made.  Today was their first post after being a member for years. If I had to guess in the context, the idea would be something like “are you are hiding in my chimney to hear/know all that happens in my house”.

Meanwhile most of us on CC can easily look up how many posts and how long a person has been a member. It’s no national secret for us, and 007 spy skills are not needed. Just my guess but I’d be curious to what Graham has to say. 

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Homes usually with coal fires need a chimney for the fumes to exit the house through the roof.

Sometimes birds or animals set up home in the chimney because it is warm.

Screenshot_20240220_063749.jpg

Screenshot_20240220_064216.jpg

I think the reference is more along Andrew’s line of thinking.  

I often post from my iPad, so it shows a lot more info about the poster, including when they joined, than a phone shows. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, h20skibum said:

What does it mean, if someone asks, “Are you hiding in my chimney?”

image.thumb.jpeg.dc11a2ba2ac419739da7b0d961382b78.jpeg

It's H20Skibum!!!

😉

But I tend to agree with what others have mentioned.  Seems to refer to some type of eavesdropping.

But the saying is not a usual reference.  It might be from a very obscure movie or literature.

dp

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I got a reply from RCI to my email. I suspect I wasted my time writing it in the first place. It is also funny how it starts with sorry for the delay responding. Hey, at least I got a response in less than 24 hrs. Here it is. I hope it is not invisible like the last copy and paste I did of my email....

Thank you so much for your email and please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

It is not our intention for guest to experience hearing difficulties after visiting our entertainment areas. We attempt to meet everyone’s comfortability and expectations but understand we may not always do so.

I want to reassure you that all your comments will be shared with our operational teams for further internal review and that we do our best to make improvements where our guests feel they are most needed. It is the commitment to deliver the best overall cruise experience that pushes us to always improve the service we provide and apologize this was not the case for your cruise vacation.

Warm regards,

Kaitlyn Sterling
Executive Office
Monday – Friday 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST
Royal Caribbean International

Invisible till you highlight it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Go to Roscoe's House of Chicken 'n Waffles  for Breakfast. Eat like the locals. 🙂

730 East Broadway At Los, Alamitos Ave, Long Beach, CA 90802

You won't be disappointed, it's not very far from San Pedro to Long Beach, Ca. about 9 miles from your  hotel.

No photo description available.

Thanks! I’ll put this in my notes. Looks wonderful.

9 hours ago, bmblob said:

@Sea Dog Hi Greg, I did use an iPhone decibel meter in some of the venues and most are in the 90-95 dBA range when I think it's pretty loud.  In the Icon Music Hall with the Phoenix band I recall it around 100 dBA.  We couldn't stay there for long despite how good the band was because of the loudness.  Below here is the OSHA PELs guidelines from the OHSA website.  There is an attached chart.

With noise, OSHA's permissible exposure limit (PEL) is 90 dBA for all workers for an 8 hour day. The OSHA standard uses a 5 dBA exchange rate. This means that when the noise level is increased by 5 dBA, the amount of time a person can be exposed to a certain noise level to receive the same dose is cut in half.

Industrial Noise Control -- Occupational Health & Safety

Thank you Marty for this. This seas the exact info I was looking for.

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I sure hope it's not prostate cancer. My cousin went thru that and had to learn functions kinda like a woman. I know he says he wouldnt wish it on anyone. Please no but do have it tested.

Yes I agree Jane. It’s got me worried.

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

A very high PSA needs to be investigated ASAP Greg.

Treatment is excellent now for prostate cancer especially if caught early.

Sincerest prayers 🙏 and good wishes.

Thank you Graham!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Read @Coralc 's post after mine. I do not know why my copy and paste posts do not show up.

They do! they do!

But they show up in white ink on white background. Hence invisible. Maybe you try and change your font color in your email or in your copy/post if you are doing it in an editor first?