Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

You have an A1C of 5.7 and went on medication?

+1 was wondering the same thing?

59 minutes ago, #55worktoplay said:

Are the bulbs then replanted in the fall?

Yes, why  not just cut the the flowers off just above the ground and put in water. My guess is maybe though since the bulbs are so close together, need to thin out the bed and replant anyway.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My hubby had cataract surgery last year.  He was given 3 choices.  #1 fully covered by insurance but still need glasses. #2 would have cost around $1000 per eye but still need reading glasses or #3 cost around $1800 per eye and no glasses. 

He picked #3 and is so happy he did.  He has worn glasses since he was in elementary school and contacts for many years.   No glasses or contacts needed.  Perfect vision now.

$9000 sounds rather high.   I would double check that $$

Debbie, this is exactly what I had been offered, just like Eric.  I was so happy to have picked #3 also.  Although I never had to wear glasses until I turned 40, my eyes got progressively worse over the years.  I love not having to wear glasses anymore!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, #55worktoplay said:

Are the bulbs then replanted in the fall?

No, she buys new ones. I think she experiences taller stems with new ones.  She wants long stems and nice blooms for her customers. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

No, she buys new ones. I think she experiences taller stems with new ones.  She wants long stems and nice blooms for her customers. 

I agree, your granddaughter smiles it must light up your heart. So sweet.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

why  not just cut the the flowers off just above the ground and put in water.

If growing them for yourself to display them yourself a couple of inches might not mean much.  Also if you were going to display them right away cutting them makes no difference.   These flowers are marketed.

• Like 6

United Airlines is having a bad week. Another SFO plane was diverted to LAX for a hydraulic issue, today. 

"United says airbus 320 has three hydraulic systems for redundancy purposes. They say a preliminary information shows there was an issue with one system on the aircraft.

This is the fourth incident involving a United jet this week -- a plane skidded off a runway in Houston this morning and on Thursday, a wheel came off a plane above SFO. And on Monday, flames shot from the engine of a plane over Texas." ABC 7 News. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

If growing them for yourself to display them yourself a couple of inches might not mean much.  Also if you were going to display them right away cutting them makes no difference.   These flowers are marketed.

They are really nice, unreal how you have tulips all ready up where you live, no tulips up here yet just daffodils up so far here in Southwest Virginia

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

They are really nice, unreal how you have tulips all ready up where you live, no tulips up here yet just daffodils up so far here in Southwest Virginia

My grandmother's white iris are blooming now.  My mother got a few bulbs from her mother and kept moving them each time she and my father moved.  When they were moving into assisted living she gave me a few bulbs.  I have moved them with me and they are multiplying like crazy.  Grandmother would be happy.  I also have schoolhouse lilies I keep moving that were given to me by a friend.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Tulip growers here and in Holland do the same thing. Tulip flowers will never be as robust, long stemmed and perfect as they are the first year. Dahlias are different. (At least they are here) The flowers are cut. The tubers are dug up and stored in the fall. And the Peonies are just cut flowers. The tubers just stay in the ground. I dug some up to put in pots this year to take with us, and the remaining bunches in the ground do not seem happy at the intrusion. ☺️

And in CA, tulip bulbs need at least 6 weeks in the refrigerator or a cooler before planting. And then eventually, they just sort of fade away....

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Keksie said:

My grandmother's white iris are blooming now.  My mother got a few bulbs from her mother and kept moving them each time she and my father moved.  When they were moving into assisted living she gave me a few bulbs.  I have moved them with me and they are multiplying like crazy.  Grandmother would be happy.  I also have schoolhouse lilies I keep moving that were given to me by a friend.

I love Iris! But I have Iris stem borers here, so they didn't do well. I might try them again at the other place. ☺️

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I was surprised to see a purple hyacinth up in my yard.  We have had such a bizarre winter, plants seem to be starting early.  I have other bulbs just starting to break through but the hyacinth is flowering.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Keksie said:

That reminds me 😞 last month when we went back to NJ to visit relatives we drove by our old house and the people that bought our old house dug up and got rid of all the beautiful Peonies we had along in front of the house.

Told my Wife I just knew we should have dug all them up and took them with us to Virginia, but we left them 😞

They also took down our pool and the large trex deck we had. Just so sad 😞 Hot tub is gone too. Such a waste !

fea54976e78e23d775d17bdac152acdb-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

1cfb024125a31a442c155f1d3e40019a-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

727928f39700e829ea5c9ed6265e8fd2-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

9f3ae2f5276a3a1d05ccb33a2eab3a29-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

2e8d3b40f611ff4d9312ad654cae9c15-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

df3f651cb4af42f24312756a1425e9bb-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

34d418991059075b4bf031cface80420-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

bed1970fe855f9677116e8a6394d4133-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That reminds me 😞 last month when we went back to NJ to visit relatives we drove by our old house and the people that bought our old house dug up and got rid of all the beautiful Peonies we had along in front of the house.

Told my Wife I just knew we should have dug all them up and took them with us to Virginia, but we left them 😞

They also took down our pool and the large trex deck we had. Just so sad 😞 Hot tub is gone too. Such a waste !

fea54976e78e23d775d17bdac152acdb-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

1cfb024125a31a442c155f1d3e40019a-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

727928f39700e829ea5c9ed6265e8fd2-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

9f3ae2f5276a3a1d05ccb33a2eab3a29-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

34d418991059075b4bf031cface80420-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

bed1970fe855f9677116e8a6394d4133-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

I love peonies.  They don't do well here.  That was lovely with the pool and hot tub.

• Like 3

And another one. This one says on the market 5 hours. Cheaper than the one earlier but smaller and not as pretty. But so much waterfront seems to be popping up today. Single family on a boating canal looks like. Just unusual for so many to be listed recently. 

20240308_212331653.jpeg

20240308_212345628.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yea suspiciously high but this doctor just started his own practice. The day I came in another older patient kinda whispered to me that this doctor is really good. I think he got the surgery and very happy. He was there for a follow up visit after surgery. So I'll probably just go on with it, though I agree prices he is quoting he must be making out somehow. But i think hes good. He gives off a good confidence. 

Yes , that price seems excessive to me . I was quoted $ 5,000 for both Toric lenses but the ophthalmologist advised me against it and I never pursued why so I still wear glasses which for me is no big deal. I’m more concerned about losing my eyesight to macular degeneration which I was diagnosed with years after my cataract surgery .

My friend had both eyes operated on at the same time unfortunately she couldn’t drive for weeks afterwards due to an eye muscle problem and her disabled husband couldn’t drive , either.  That is something her doc should have mentioned to her. 

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

You definitely should have dug them up to take with you! My Peonies have an interesting back story. When Jimmy Carter was president, our one and only peony grower was contacted by the White House to provide their flowers for a formal state dinner. Since then, they have been the official peony provider to the white house florist. Which is quite a honor, considering most growers are in the Midwest. 

The grower gave me a plant (of this single flower per stem variety) back in the 90's. I plan on taking the tubers wherever we go! 

Peonies2.JPG

Peonies3.JPG

Peonies4.thumb.JPG.e1356fa2638f392652c5460774bee816.JPG

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 18

14 minutes ago, Coralc said:

You definitely should have dug them up to take with you! My Peonies have an interesting back story. When Jimmy Carter was president, our one and only peony grower was contacted by the White House to provide their flowers for a formal state dinner. Since then, they have been the official peony provider to the white house florist. Which is quite a honor, considering most growers are in the Midwest. 

The grower gave me a plant (of this single flower per stem variety) back in the 90's. I plan on taking the tubers wherever we go! 

Peonies4.JPG

Peonies2.JPG

Peonies3.JPG

Beautiful, love that color.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Keksie said:

@Jimbo I saw my doctor yesterday and got a prescription for Metformin.  My A1C was 5.7 and I want to lose a few lbs.  Diet and exercise has not changed an ounce in the last few years so I need to try something.  My insurance only covers Metformin or Jardiance so we are trying the Metformin first.  It was $6.00 for a month's supply.  I will have blood work in 3 months to see what happens.

My Mother played a game of constipation or diarrhea while on metformin.   Be careful, she was so happy when doc told her to stop taking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yea suspiciously high but this doctor just started his own practice. The day I came in another older patient kinda whispered to me that this doctor is really good. I think he got the surgery and very happy. He was there for a follow up visit after surgery. So I'll probably just go on with it, though I agree prices he is quoting he must be making out somehow. But i think hes good. He gives off a good confidence. 

Yup, he probably needs money to pay off business loans, student loans, rent, malpractice & liability insurance, etc.   Buyer beware, $9000 is rather high.

If unsure, get a 2nd opinion.

A savings of $5,000 or $6,000 could be 2 cruises😊

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 7

I love camellia plants and this camellia plant called “Mrs. Tingley” is my favorite.  It is still very small in stature and hasn’t really grown much after so many years.  I don’t have a green thumb at all so I am very happy when I see blooms on it.  I think it doesn’t get the right sun exposure.

IMG_3119.thumb.jpeg.72af40d8b6cb7252e47368ba241db2e5.jpeg

Whereas this camellia has tons of bloom on it.  It was planted in the perfect location in the yard.

IMG_3318.thumb.jpeg.f79a417e5ad0f2a7914f232621fa6204.jpeg

These irises are very hardy.  We didn’t even plant them.  It has been here for over 30 years.  They just keep coming back year after year.

IMG_0757.thumb.jpeg.750211fa9e3294ee1b8153104270f083.jpeg

This magnolia tree sits in front of a local hospital.  It is beautiful when the tree is in full bloom.  This was taken a couple weeks ago.

IMG_8835.thumb.jpeg.c4e26ae5ba40c2a5819f9fe19a7ca8a5.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Coralc said:

Peonies2.JPG

Peonies3.JPG

Peonies4.thumb.JPG.e1356fa2638f392652c5460774bee816.JPG

What an honour for your local grower.  Your peonies are beautiful 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

United Airlines is having a bad week. Another SFO plane was diverted to LAX for a hydraulic issue, today. 

"United says airbus 320 has three hydraulic systems for redundancy purposes. They say a preliminary information shows there was an issue with one system on the aircraft.

This is the fourth incident involving a United jet this week -- a plane skidded off a runway in Houston this morning and on Thursday, a wheel came off a plane above SFO. And on Monday, flames shot from the engine of a plane over Texas." ABC 7 News. 

Delta is probably happy to see that United is in the news instead of them.  American is probably doubling down on maintenance to ensure that they're not next.

• Like 5