Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

11 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Same with my neighborhood family owned hardware store.  Gone for years now with Home Depot and Lowe's in abundance.  Our hardware store guy used to give us great advice and never charged for giving us small items, screws, nails, etc.  I'm stuck in the past.,,,,,,sigh.  

We still have a neighborhood family owned hardware store in our town.  DH wonders how they stay in business, but they do.  

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, mafig said:
36 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Same with my neighborhood family owned hardware store.  Gone for years now with Home Depot and Lowe's in abundance.  Our hardware store guy used to give us great advice and never charged for giving us small items, screws, nails, etc.  I'm stuck in the past.,,,,,,sigh.  

We still have a neighborhood family owned hardware store in our town.  DH wonders how they stay in business, but they do.  

Nearest Home Depot/Lowes is about 20 minutes one way from me. Minimum time spent in store 20-30 minutes (could be hours if I wander around). Total time = 60-70 minutes. And that's not including parking 1/2 mile away

Local, family hardware store is 5 minutes one way. Minimum time spend in store is 5 minutes (could be 10 if I wander around and chat with the owner). Total time = 15 minutes with parking right in front.

So, unless I have some huge, expensive project, I'll usually pick saving time over saving money. Plus, some of the expert advice at the big box stores can be hit-and-miss.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

So after many months of thought provoking deciding what to add and/or remove from dining room. It is done. Made room for some of my DHs family nick nacks. 

IT IS WHAT IT IS 

and

WHAT WILL BE WILL BE. 

FBEE0F29-BEBE-47EC-BF5F-84E2A6D6DE82.jpeg

BB49AFB1-5BF3-4F75-A156-4892A161384A.jpeg

5A622BF2-41DB-4332-AA8E-879F2FBEC47E.jpeg

9F847510-6C7C-43BF-8E98-A89E76A3E6DE.jpeg

Very nice furniture.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Nearest Home Depot/Lowes is about 20 minutes one way from me. Minimum time spent in store 20-30 minutes (could be hours if I wander around). Total time = 60-70 minutes. And that's not including parking 1/2 mile away

Local, family hardware store is 5 minutes one way. Minimum time spend in store is 5 minutes (could be 10 if I wander around and chat with the owner). Total time = 15 minutes with parking right in front.

So, unless I have some huge, expensive project, I'll usually pick saving time over saving money. Plus, some of the expert advice at the big box stores can be hit-and-miss.

Lowes is just 5 mins away and I get ten percent off everything since I am a veteran also reserved parking spots for vets . My brother in law didn’t know about discount until I told him when they were going to buy a new fridge and they saved a couple of hundred.
   Growing up I remember going to the local butcher and he would give the children a big slice of baloney . In my Italian neighborhood where I had my first apartment the local grocery store gave out shots of whiskey at Christmas time 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have never brined a turkey.  I hear it's really good.  I will have to try someday.

I picked up egg nog and run and liquor store for more wine, rum for the egg nog and Bermuda Gosling dark rum to make rum balls soon.  Liquor store was busy but boy the food store was packed so glad I could go to self check out since I only had a couple items.

My daughter Melanie had us over for turkey dinner this past Sunday.  She brined her turkey the night before.  OMG!  So delicious, and so moist!  She said it was super easy to do.

I've never had a rum ball before!

14 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

That is a really good price for the soda package.  I have seen some sailings have the refreshment package for $17 and that is great too.  I am hoping that appears on my sailing tomorrow and I will repurchase.    

I've been looking to see if my Allure cruise in April has gone down in price.  Not yet!  I purchased the package at $58 + gratuities this past Summer.  If perchance there is a reduction for Black Friday, how do I cancel, and then rebuy the package?  As you all know by now, I am not tech savvy 😟

4 hours ago, singinalot said:

thanks! She is much improved IMO. She has friends in town this weekend and went to one of the hot springs which I’m sure did her a lot of good.

That is great to hear about your Mom, Crystal❤️

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Noticed that about the Cranberry sauce.  Just like the news foretold....could not find it anywhere.  Soooo...making it homemade from fresh cranberries for the first time.  🙂 

I started making fresh years ago.  Easy peasy!

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It is so easy to make and imo tastes better than the canned versions.  I add some orange to mine.

I also add oranges to mine.  I don't cook my cranberries,  Do you, Debbie?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mafig said:

We have one a few miles from here, also.  We have Marina's all around here, and he gets a lot of business selling ropes, etc. for the boat owners.  We got our Benjamin Moore paint there, after painting our deck two years ago with paint from Home Depot;  that paint peeled pretty readily on us!

33 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I've been looking to see if my Allure cruise in April has gone down in price.  Not yet!  I purchased the package at $58 + gratuities this past Summer.  If perchance there is a reduction for Black Friday, how do I cancel, and then rebuy the package?  As you all know by now, I am not tech savvy 😟

The refreshment package on mine went down to $16.99 and the soda package $5.99.  The deluxe beverage package is around $58 I think, didn't really look as we don't get that one, especially with the c&a drinks on the card being not just during happy hour.  

Good luck with your husband's scan.  I hope all goes well. 🙂 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Little history on Wawa stores.  They began on 1902 as a dairy plant in Wawa, PA with home delivery of milk.   In the 60s they opened their first market.  

They are now in PA. NJ, DE, MD, VA, FL and DC with more than 850 stores and over 600 of them sell gas.  

I'm not sure if they are in NY yet.

They are a great quick stop and make to order breakfast sandwiches, hoagies, sandwiches, various food bowls, hot sandwiches such as meatball parms, etc etc.

They usually have the best gas prices in most areas.

When a wawa store opens all the other gas stations try to compete with wawa prices and you end up seeing a lot of local stations close down as it tough to compete with their prices and the fact you can stop for gas and go have a custom hoagie made or pick up one of their wonderful coffees.  They usually have a row of about 8 to 10 different kinds of coffee fresh made as well as speciality coffees like lattes and cappuccinos.

Even though we are in Virginia, the closest Wawa to us is north of us in Charlottesville, Va, which is 175 miles away. Needless to say we needed to find another sandwich shop. So it's either at a place very much like Wawa, called Sheetz which also sells gas or just for hoagies  we just go to Subway.

Really missed WaWa when we first moved here but we are pretty much over them now, Subway's hoagies are so much better.

As far as gas prices, the lowest prices right now are in Fort Chiswell , Va. that town is about 10 miles from us. Price is $3.06 a gallon at Exxon,

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

I really like going to mom and pop hardware stores if you can find them...especially if you need one little screw, washer, clamp, etc.  It doesn't seem to matter what you ask for, there's a guy who has worked there for 50 years who walks you to a case with about a thousand drawers in it and opens the exact drawer that contains what I need.  Much better than a 20 something kid (apologies to those of you who are 20 something) telling me that it might be in aisle 8.  

That said, if I need more than just a few little things, it's usually worth going to Lowes.  I much prefer Lowes over Home Depot because HD screwed us over on some paint about 20 years ago and I swore to never use them again unless I have to.  What, me hold a grudge??

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I much prefer Lowes over Home Depot because HD screwed us over on some paint about 20 years ago and I swore to never use them again unless I have to.  What, me hold a grudge??

Actually, DH is like that with that little hardware store that he wonders why they stay in business.

He had purchased some paint from them and hadn't used it immediately.  A little while  later he brought it back and asked if they would put it in the shaker.  They refused.  They said the last time they had done that the top came off and they had to replace 3 uniforms.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

So delicious, and so moist!  She said it was super easy to do.

I would say the hardest part is finding something large enough to brine it in and then keep it cold while it brines.  As you have found out, it is well worth the effort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

Lowes is just 5 mins away and I get ten percent off everything since I am a veteran also reserved parking spots for vets . My brother in law didn’t know about discount until I told him when they were going to buy a new fridge and they saved a couple of hundred.
   Growing up I remember going to the local butcher and he would give the children a big slice of baloney . In my Italian neighborhood where I had my first apartment the local grocery store gave out shots of whiskey at Christmas time 

When I was a kid there was an ice cream plant near where I lived.Every Friday afternoon at closing kids and adults lined up to get free ice cream.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I just went back in and checked and DBP is $51.99 on my sailing, not the $58 I thought I had seen.  I cancelled and repurchased the refreshment package but I think it messed up and didn't refund the gratuity.  I have to call, unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

Our local butcher had a piece of his finger missing.  As a child I was fascinated by it.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

That said, if I need more than just a few little things, it's usually worth going to Lowes.  I much prefer Lowes over Home Depot

Home Depot is 2 miles from our house.  Lowe’s, which I like, is a 45 minute drive.  What makes HD easy, besides the distance, is that I can look up what I want online and it tells me what isle it is on and what spot in the isle in the store.  Also makes for an easy (most the time) return of things I order online.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Home Depot is 2 miles from our house.  Lowe’s, which I like, is a 45 minute drive.  What makes HD easy, besides the distance, is that I can look up what I want online and it tells me what isle it is on and what spot in the isle in the store.  Also makes for an easy (most the time) return of things I order online.

We are about 45 minutes from HD and close to an hour from Lowe’s .

• Like 1