Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Nothing worse than dealing with ice and flooding in the wintertime. Hope you get a solution.

I feel I may have missed some things as I dealt with snow removal the last couple days.  I did my second round of snow blowing yesterday afternoon (when the weather forecast said the snow had stopped). It just didn’t tell me it would start up again and give us a few more inches overnight.

I even included doing the drive of our neighborhood policeman in the afternoon.  I didn’t do it early in the morning, because you never know what shift he is on.  

So now the snow looks pretty, because the sun is shining on it, and my work is done.

We binge watched the REACHER series on Prime yesterday and this morning.  I liked it, but now I have a long wait till season 2.  I told Susan we should only watch one episode a week to make it last longer.  That lasted about as long as the credits.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

What are you going to do about the driveway? Someone screwed up the grading. You don't want flooding every time we have a rain storm.

I agree with Ocean Boy. Someone really dropped the ball on the site work. That fact that you have a crumbling seam this soon after installation of the driveway and that you noticed a grade problem right away makes me wonder about the quality of workmanship, (or lack thereof), from this company.

You say that you questioned him about it. What answer did he give you back then?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I just saw (again) the trailer for the new Top Gun.  Maybe it's finally coming out??  Looks really good, but I guess that's the whole idea of a trailer.

Nowadays if you’re in a movie theater, you sit through multiple previews of coming movies. 
I only enjoy movies that send me home with a smile on my face. 
However, when watching the trailers previewing maybe six coming movies, I want to see every one. They all look good, even the blood and guts ones!

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

We binge watched the REACHER series on Prime yesterday and this morning.  I liked it, but now I have a long wait till season 2.  I told Susan we should only watch one episode a week to make it last longer.  That lasted about as long as the credits.

My eldest son just texted me that he saw the new REACHER series (we're both big fans of the series), telling me that now they went to the other extreme, and Reacher is really BIG...

He offered to share his Prime subscription with me, but I told him that now I'm only Dubai oriented....

Trying to find a way to see as much as we can in the 4 days we'll be there.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

Here is Bobby, with his big white mittens. Bill built him stairs to get up on his perch. We will be sad. And there actually used to be Christmas wrapping paper on the end of that roll. 

Bobby Mittens.JPG

He is adorable and looks so snugly!    Love those big white paws😍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Nowadays if you’re in a movie theater, you sit through multiple previews of coming movies. 
I only enjoy movies that send me home with a smile on my face. 
However, when watching the trailers previewing maybe six coming movies, I want to see every one. They all look good, even the blood and guts ones!

Prior to Covid I would go

to movies about twice a month.

But now where I live people don’t mask at all during the movie and I just can’t enjoy the movie. It makes me sad that I can’t go to the movies any more 

• Like 5

More MIL drama.   This morning she called insisting she has covid and Eric must take her to the ER and I must sit at her house as BestBuy is delivering a new TV and stand.        

Eric told her we would be over to test her with one of the kits we have.     We got there and she looks perfectly fine and said she woke up with a scratchy throat and she could die since she has cancer and heart problems (she does NOT!).     She takes 1xday Metropol for her BP.    She has never had cancer but has been telling people she has had Leukemia for over 25 years.    For years we have taken her to her doctors appointments and she definitely does Not have a cancer doc.   She must think we are total idiots if we believe this BS.  

Big fuss to get her to do the covid test - worse than a 2 yr old.     Finally did it and it was negative.   

She then went on say we probably gave her covid since we were on a cruise!     We got home 3 weeks ago!! 

Asked why she is getting a new TV when the one she has is perfectly fine and less than 5 yrs old.   She said the new neighbor down the street was telling her if she got a smart TV then she could cancel cable and get free tv with a smart TV.     Great!    This is a 91.5 yr old woman who has never used a computer, doesn't even have a cell phone and now someone is suppose to teach her how to use a smart TV.    UGHHH!      This is also the same neighbor that ordered the space heaters for her.     

Might be time to have a talk with this new neighbor who is simply trying to be nice but doesn't realize what we are dealing with.   Not sure if we should - thoughts and opinions if we should say something to this neighbor would be appreciated.    

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

My eldest son just texted me that he saw the new REACHER series (we're both big fans of the series), telling me that now they went to the other extreme, and Reacher is really BIG...

He offered to share his Prime subscription with me, but I told him that now I'm only Dubai oriented....

Yes, Dubai will be an amazing trip.     You can always watch Reacher series after your trip.   

ENJOY😍 and I hope we get to see some photos and stories of your trip!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

I agree with Ocean Boy. Someone really dropped the ball on the site work. That fact that you have a crumbling seam this soon after installation of the driveway and that you noticed a grade problem right away makes me wonder about the quality of workmanship, (or lack thereof), from this company.

You say that you questioned him about it. What answer did he give you back then?

He said it was an optical illusion because it is graded away from the house and it was the sheen of the oil on top.  Water hasn't come in up until now, I just wish I had seen exactly where the volume of the water was coming from.  There is a downspout on that corner of the house that we have three flexible extenders on to take the water away from that area.  We checked the downspout and it doesn't look like anything wasn't connected and my DH said water water was flowing when he left.  Not sure if it was just volume and frozen ground making everything just come off the hill we live on.  

Just very frustrating.  We are lucky we were home and found it before it got to furniture and electronics.  Had it continued it would have headed towards the utility room with our furnace and hot water heater.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

CA25BAB3-55BA-4AAC-AD64-3D46BD2F2E56.thumb.jpeg.39ee7a651d685ab8d848d30fb05e97ac.jpegGetting ready to go outside for round number three of ice removal from our driveway.  We got close to almost 1 1/2 inches of rain Thursday night that changed to sleet and snow and back and forth.  Unfortunately, the rain flooded into our garage and then into our family room thanks to the new driveway being too high near the garage and not draining down the hill.  We spent three hours with the wet vac trying and towels trying to get up all the water.  We had to move multiple shelves in the garage to get the standing water under them.  Dehumidifier is running trying to dry out the carpet in the family room.  Luckily, my son was working from home yesterday and was able to help me clean up the mess.  We then had to clear the ice and snow from the driveway so my DH could get up the hill when he got out of work.  Of course, we got more sleet and rain before he got home, but he was able to get in the driveway.  After dinner, we were out again for round two of ice removal as the temperatures dropped.  We got more overnight, so we let the sun do a little warming.  We are up to 20 F so are going to give it a go.  Don't you just love winter....❄️❄️

I remember you waiting for the contractors to get this done last year.    So sorry you are now dealing with this mess.    I would definitely demand they correct their error on the grading.   

IMO, they will have to tear out and possibly put a drain with pipe underneath to alleviate the problem as well as re-grade then re-pave.    At least that is my guess.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

He said it was an optical illusion because it is graded away from the house and it was the sheen of the oil on top.  Water hasn't come in up until now, I just wish I had seen exactly where the volume of the water was coming from.  There is a downspout on that corner of the house that we have three flexible extenders on to take the water away from that area.  We checked the downspout and it doesn't look like anything wasn't connected and my DH said water water was flowing when he left.  Not sure if it was just volume and frozen ground making everything just come off the hill we live on.  

Just very frustrating.  We are lucky we were home and found it before it got to furniture and electronics.  Had it continued it would have headed towards the utility room with our furnace and hot water heater.

The fact you never had this problem before he paved your driveway is definitely reason enough to believe he did something wrong and is simply not wanting to rectify the problem.     

Can you actually feel a difference where the concrete bib for the garage connects to the driveway?

I would be prepared to take photos of pooling water the next time it rains.    Sorry, I hate to say the next time it happens but the problem isn't going to magically go away. 

We will be above freezing in a couple of hours , my pool had a thin coat of ice this morning. 
   Academy award nominations come out Tuesday morning, we always try to see the ones nominated for best picture. I am sure we will be going to the movies often in next couple of months (with the exception of our upcoming cruise) , no masks are needed in Texas . Although I am sure some of the movies will be on Netflix and Prime.

I am also looking forward to Reacher series on prime, read several of the books and most likely will take one with me on cruise leaving in two weeks.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Arzeena said:

@lenquixote66

Lenny,

I am going to say this again.  Please do not leave. Just put them on your "ignore" list and continue.

@lenquixote66

+1

I agree Lenny, you don't have to leave. Many here, including myself, enjoy your posts.  With a diverse group of CC people, there are always going to be personality conflicts which I'm sure you are aware of as you are a veteran message board poster.  The "Ignore" fearure is great and it works both ways - you can ignore certain people and they can ignore you.

Anyways, looks like there was some clean-up & deletions last night so the admins do police this thread. Good to know and fingers crossed that was just a one-time occurrence.

EDIT: Yes, I edited the quoted post  to put the focus on the request for Lenny to come back.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, Dubai will be an amazing trip. 

Can't do without some drama and palpitations... I was worried about passing the PCR test tomorrow, but now another, bigger worry, just "landed".

The Dubai authorities don't like the security measures taken in all the Israeli airplanes, and decided to stop the flights between Israel and Dubai on Tuesday, one day before our flight...

I'm too old for this.

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Can't do without some drama and palpitations... I was worried about passing the PCR test tomorrow, but now another, bigger worry, just "landed".

The Dubai authorities don't like the security measures taken in all the Israeli airplanes, and decided to stop the flights between Israel and Dubai on Tuesday, one day before our flight...

I'm too old for this.

Just out of curiosity, what type of security measures in the EL AL planes?  Is it possible to change to a different airline like Turkish, or Qatar to go through a neutral hub?  Again, just curious. I tend to be an airline geek. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The fact you never had this problem before he paved your driveway is definitely reason enough to believe he did something wrong and is simply not wanting to rectify the problem.     

Can you actually feel a difference where the concrete bib for the garage connects to the driveway?

I would be prepared to take photos of pooling water the next time it rains.    Sorry, I hate to say the next time it happens but the problem isn't going to magically go away. 

We have all sorts of pictures through the whole process of the driveway and after.  We have pictures from yesterday too as I was sending them to my DH at work to show him where the water was but we have none of it coming in.  We have had lots of rain since the driveway was put in but the  big difference with this storm was the rain then sleet/snow/mix with temperatures in the 40s then crashing to low 20s and lower.  Our driveway has a stonewall that gradually gets taller are you get to the house and garage.  It is 4 1/2 feet tall beside the garage near our stone stairs that go to the backyard and hill behind house.  When we have heavy rain, the stairs can look like a waterfall with all the water from the hill.  Up until this storm, we have had no water backing into the garage and house other than minor seepage that happens with any garage.  We just wish we could see what the difference was with this storm, so that if it was something we can fix before spring, we will.  We do feel we will have to have this driveway replaced again.

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have all sorts of pictures through the whole process of the driveway and after.  We have pictures from yesterday too as I was sending them to my DH at work to show him where the water was but we have none of it coming in.  We have had lots of rain since the driveway was put in but the  big difference with this storm was the rain then sleet/snow/mix with temperatures in the 40s then crashing to low 20s and lower.  Our driveway has a stonewall that gradually gets taller are you get to the house and garage.  It is 4 1/2 feet tall beside the garage near our stone stairs that go to the backyard and hill behind house.  When we have heavy rain, the stairs can look like a waterfall with all the water from the hill.  Up until this storm, we have had no water backing into the garage and house other than minor seepage that happens with any garage.  We just wish we could see what the difference was with this storm, so that if it was something we can fix before spring, we will.  We do feel we will have to have this driveway replaced again.

Is it possible with the combination of snow and ice, melting and refreezing, that an ice damn built up under the snow on the driveway and redirected the water running down the stairs back towards the garage doors instead of down the driveway as usual during warmer weather?

• Like 3

Lenny

Please stay and continue to post.

I really enjoy when you share any and all information.  In fact I look forward to your post more than me doing any kind of post.

I used to get frustrated with some CC threader posters that always knew everything and seemed to attack me with snarky comments.

Then I came to this thread.

Where I found normal kind and caring cruisers.

We have a special bond here, and also on Bellas thread.

We are family, and yes we may have a disagreement from time to time, but we do make up.

I can only hope you continue to share your vast knowledge as well as life moments.

Take care

With kind personal regards.

Lionesss

"Sue"

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Might be time to have a talk with this new neighbor who is simply trying to be nice but doesn't realize what we are dealing with.   Not sure if we should - thoughts and opinions if we should say something to this neighbor would be appreciated.    

If the new neighbor is being nice and trying to help your MIL - in essence looking out for her - then you should talk with them.  They need to know what they are dealing with, otherwise, their "help" will be counter-productive. And you have 2 examples listed in your post - the smart TV & space heaters.

How much to tell them could be a bit dicey. They don't need to know every nitty-gritty detail of family history but they need to know enough for them to realize that MIL is not thinking rationally for whatever reason: dementia, seeking attention or just old-age crankiness. 

It probably will not be easy to tell them as I'm sure you and your husband do not want to make your MIL "look bad" but it is for her overall safety and benefit.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I'm guessing that the Burj Khalifa will be on your list.  The last time that we were there, we went to the very top...The Lounge on levels 152/153/154.  It was very nice with a welcome glass of champagne, coffee/tea, and small snacks.  There were very few people up there and it was a much more relaxed atmosphere, not to mention tremendous views.  I remember that it was normally quite a bit more expensive than the other ticket options, but there was a kiosk in the mall not far (maybe 100 meters?) from the Burj Khalifa entrance that was selling tickets at a significant discount.  I don't remember exactly but I think it may have been Mastercard that was sponsoring the discounts if you used Mastercard.  It might have been a different credit card but I do remember that someone in our group paid for all of the tickets on her card and we paid her in cash, since many of us did not have that type of credit card.  I don't know if that is a regular occurrence or if we just got lucky, but it might be worth looking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I'm too old for this.

Oh no.  I didn't see this until after I made my last post.  I hope this all works out for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Arzeena said:

@lenquixote66

Lenny,

I am going to say this again. You do not have to leave because someone is attacking you. I believe it was very mean spirited of that poster to attack you this way online and they owe you an apology. Please do not leave. Just put them on your "ignore" list and continue.

Thank you very much,Arzeena.I took your advice.In all the years I have posted on CC and other Internet message boards I never put anyone on an Ignore list.

This was the first and hopefully the last time.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

@lenquixote66

+1

I agree Lenny, you don't have to leave. Many here, including myself, enjoy your posts.  With a diverse group of CC people, there are always going to be personality conflicts which I'm sure you are aware of as you are a veteran message board poster.  The "Ignore" fearure is great and it works both ways - you can ignore certain people and they can ignore you.

Anyways, looks like there was some clean-up & deletions last night so the admins do police this thread. Good to know and fingers crossed that was just a one-time occurrence.

EDIT: Yes, I edited the quoted post  to put the focus on the request for Lenny to come back.

Thank you very much,H.I sincerely appreciate your words.

• Like 2