Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 hours ago, derorim said:

Today has been a little stressful.  We are scheduled to board Odyssey on Saturday, so we had to get our covid tests today.  I was nervous about it because two months ago we were tested in order to board our Anthem cruise, and Andy tested positive (no symptoms).  I was fearful that this time it could be me testing positive, even though I feel fine.  Fortunately, we both were negative today.  Whew.

Once we got the good news, I allowed myself to pack and I started to relax.  That is, until our pet sitter for Marcel (our 14 yr old kitty) called at 6 pm and said she was in the emergency room, facing possible surgery, and couldn't pet sit for us.  Panic set in. Fortunately, my son and his wife stepped up and said they would take care of Marcel.  Whew again.   

So tomorrow morning we board our flight to FLL, and Saturday we step onto a beautiful new ship.  We are ready for a vacation!

Congratulations on passing your tests!

Safe travels to Fll and hope you have a wonderful cruise🤩

• Like 1

10 hours ago, akcruz said:

Sorry if I have missed any big news, had my turn at sea last week, 5 days on Mariner along with 2 days in Cocoa Beach before and 1 day in Amelia Island after.  Started a fewpages back, almost 50 pages behind.

@Sea Dog glad to hear your surgery went well, hoping you will feel better soon.  Surgery is never fun but usually life is much better after.  I am sure those pups are ready for you to be home.  Don't worry I had a few Jrakjen Coladas for you last week 😉.

@bobmacliberty thanks for the recommendations on Amelia Island.  Our day there, Tuesday into Wed, was a bit chilly and rainy but definitely see the charm.  We stayed at the Hampton in Fernandina, walked thru town, had lunch at the Salty Pelican, a few drinks at the Green Turtle waiting on the room, and dinner at the Boathouse.  Had to continue the over indulgence from the cruise.  We will be back hopefully with nicer weather.

We lucked out prior to the cruise and got to see a launch from deck 12 on Mariner just before we left port, couldn't have asked for a much better spot.  Not quite as nice a picture as @John&LaLa but better than from home.

Our sailing visited Coco Cay, first time there for us since 2005 wow what a difference, and Cozumel where we fortunately didn't have any plans as it poured around noon time.  On the good side, we were in a store downtown when it started to drizzle, asked if there was any recommendations close by for drinks and a light lunch.  Headed a block away and found a great little place, The Thirsty Cougar.  Met a gentleman who lives there part time and had a great conversation, found out after he left he paid our check so the rain wasn't such a bad thing.

Enjoyed our cruise and very happy we went even with the stress of testing and inconvenience with masks.  Mariner is looking a bit tired but she is still providing a great cruise especially with reduced capacity, we were just under 50%.

Safe travels to all heading out shortly, will try to add a few pics.

Launch from ship20220203_131334.thumb.jpg.de8a0a71ba6721563b7d50c79824b2f9.jpg

Coco cay20220204_152421.thumb.jpg.91df0abb20a14bd7de8a4750556d504b.jpg

20220204_152209.thumb.jpg.ff1e04c7bc40c40782589a7b1d0e478d.jpg

The rain in Cozumel20220206_121830.thumb.jpg.47765680e3186e5611d25dc8d161204f.jpg

Panaromic of upper deck

20220207_174229-PANO.thumb.jpg.435a2ae45e893e0e3e326f1fdd88febe.jpg

No sunrises but sunsets

20220204_172953.thumb.jpg.473fe4fec86d62db49ef4ce4d4d44430.jpg

Sorry to hear that you had some rain while here and on Cozumel.  Weather in NE Florida has just been so-so for the last week or 2.  We finally got back into the 60s with sun yesterday.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

We went and saw Death on the Nile (2022) at the Multiplex cinemas tonight.  The opening scenes are in black & white, set in the trenches in 1914 and in French with subtitles.  My friend was quietly panicking  that she had taken me in the wrong cinema yet again ( yes, we sat through the first 30 mins of the wrong movie at the multiplex a few years back before we twigged and she has felt guilty ever since).  Anyway, despite the Armie Hammer ick factor especially in a specific early scene,  we enjoyed this movie with several shock deaths, gorgeous visuals of “Egypt” and the “Egyptian boat” and a lovely soundtrack. We thoroughly enjoyed it.  For us it was better than Kenneth Brannagh’s previous one.

14 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I read the book forever ago so I couldn’t compare.  Read a few reviews tonight from people annoyed that it wasn’t true to the book….

I'm interested also, especially if the mystery part of the movie is good.  I love a really good mystery with plot twists.  I liked Murder on the Orient Express.  They've got a wealth of books from which to choose if they want to keep making more Poirot movies. 

I've yet to see a movie made from a book that really stays true to the book.  I don't know if it's just too hard to put into pictures what a good author can do with words, or if the temptation to change things and take advantage of what video can deliver is just too great.  The Harry Potter movies may be the closest that I can remember.  Must be an interesting dilemma for an author (if they are involved) watching his/her story getting changed for better box office returns.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Greg, you may think differently but I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts either way down the track.

i will let you know.. I think I will enjoy it.. I love  mystery’s.

22 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I liked the trailer as well.

I made a point of showing it to Lisa and she poo pooed me about it. I thought she'd like the mystery about it, but no.  She likes the Handmaids Tale, but then again she likes the Bachelor too. 

lol. Never watched Handmaids Tale even though I heard great things about it. I will not watch the bachelor not interested but I watch below deck one could argue what’s the difference. Love drama on a yacht vs love drama on land.😝

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

i will let you know.. I think I will enjoy it.. I love  mystery’s.

lol. Never watched Handmaids Tale even though I heard great things about it. I will not watch the bachelor not interested but I watch below deck one could argue what’s the difference. Love drama on a yacht vs love drama on land.😝

The yacht drama has little to do with love. Although, I think the same could be said about The Bachelor, too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I told you so.😏😇

You as my good doctor knows best! Thank you for everything. You have helped me more than you know. I am extremely grateful for that. I’m ready to go home and rehab so that I can be ready in 6 weeks to have the other knee done.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm interested also, especially if the mystery part of the movie is good.  I love a really good mystery with plot twists.  I liked Murder on the Orient Express.  They've got a wealth of books from which to choose if they want to keep making more Poirot movies. 

I've yet to see a movie made from a book that really stays true to the book.  I don't know if it's just too hard to put into pictures what a good author can do with words, or if the temptation to change things and take advantage of what video can deliver is just too great.  The Harry Potter movies may be the closest that I can remember.  Must be an interesting dilemma for an author (if they are involved) watching his/her story getting changed for better box office returns.

Years ago I read somewhere that the reason that the Harry Potter movies are so close to the books was because JK Rowling had the foresight and the money already to be able to keep holding out until she was guaranteed that she would have 100% control over the screen play adaptation.  Unlike some authors that sell the rights to their works for a large sum of money but give up total control of the artistic process.   She is definitely one smart cookie.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Years ago I read somewhere that the reason that the Harry Potter movies are so close to the books was because JK Rowling had the foresight and the money already to be able to keep holding out until she was guaranteed that she would have 100% control over the screen play adaptation.  Unlike some authors that sell the rights to their works for a large sum of money but give up total control of the artistic process.   She is definitely one smart cookie.  

And can you imagine the public outcry if the HP movies were significantly different from the books?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, derorim said:

Today has been a little stressful.  We are scheduled to board Odyssey on Saturday Fortunately, we both were negative today.  Whew.

So tomorrow morning we board our flight to FLL, and Saturday we step onto a beautiful new ship.  We are ready for a vacation!

Good to hear you got your negative test, and you are ready to pack and sail. 

11 hours ago, jagsfan said:

After I finished checking in on my iPhone, it took hours for validating  our vaccination cards, but it’s done!

My big aggravating problem is my husband. 
His first photo had more of the kitchen behind than his face. The next three were practically up his nose because I said the first one was too far away. 
He refused to take another one, so he kind of looks like the thing that walks at night, or Freddy Krueger’s cousin. 
I guess it’s ok, because mine looks like I’ve been taking Sea Dog’s meds…an over abundance!

I use to have to take about 20 of Susan, before I got one she would approve.  Then we would get to the pier, and they would retake them anyway. 

11 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I could keep taking ours over and over, but they probably wouldn’t get better!

Susan wanted me to use those skin softening filters to smooth out any wrinkles. I just said “what wrinkles?”, because I value my life 😂😂

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Remarkable I had no pain in my leg last night so I finally got some sleep.

its5:30am and I’ve taken one lap around the floor of the hospital with minimal pain. Amazing feeling..

Good that you had good sleep and minimal pain.  Keep up the great work. 

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Happy to say we did our check in the other day for our sailing on Anthem for March 20th and yesterday we did check in for the 2nd week of March 27th🍹🌴    

The problem with us booking that last minute cruise, is that check in had already been open for a week. We ended up with a 12:30 boarding time.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Just curious where in Virginia you are from and what Airport you use for flying to Florida.  We have yet to fly anywhere since we moved to Virginia and what Airport would be the one to fly from? We are in Southwest Virginia and Roanoke is closest but prices are really high, I think the next closest is Charlotte but tghat 2 hours away, Washington/Baltimore is even farther away.

We are in Chesapeake and fly out of Norfolk. Almost always have to change planes along the way no matter where we go, so I don't recommend it.  We flew out of Reagan National when we lived in Northern Virginia, and loved it. But that's a bit of a drive for you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, derorim said:

We are in Chesapeake and fly out of Norfolk. Almost always have to change planes along the way no matter where we go, so I don't recommend it.  We flew out of Reagan National when we lived in Northern Virginia, and loved it. But that's a bit of a drive for you. 

Allegiant Airlines headquartered in Las Vegas (a no-frills carrier with excellent pricing) has flights out of Richmond, VA flying into Tampa-Clearwater, Sarasota and i believe Miami, along with many other US cities

Have used them 3 times and very satisfied.

happy flying....

Scott

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

33°F and cold this morning in North East England.

Pleased to hear Greg @Sea Dog has had his knee op and is eating and starts his physical therapy today.

Wishing Dani @dani negreanua wonderful time in Dubai.

Take care everyone and have a nice day.

Graham.

52 degrees and sunny here but Monday it will be 18.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 2004corvette said:

Allegiant Airlines headquartered in Las Vegas (a no-frills carrier with excellent pricing) has flights out of Richmond, VA flying into Tampa-Clearwater, Sarasota and i believe Miami, along with many other US cities

Have used them 3 times and very satisfied.

happy flying....

Scott

You need to be careful with low cost airlines.  They don't typically have agreements with other airlines to put you on one of their planes should there be a problem with one of their flights.  You will need to wait for the next flight from their airline, which could be a few days later.  When we lived in Cincinnati, we used Allegiant several times to fly to Florida without a problem.  Allegiant only flies between Cincinnati and Jacksonville on Monday and Friday.  If we were on a Friday flight that got cancelled, our only option would have been to wait until Monday (or get our money back and book last minute with another airline).  We know though that we were taking a risk and avoided Allegiant in bad weather months.

• Like 4

Anyone sailing now or sailing from Miami see the New Cruise Line sailing from Miami.

Virgin Cruise Line?

They have been running commercials on our local TV  station here. The ship looks fantastic, really large and beautiful. Has anyone seen this ship at any of the ports you have been to recently? If so any pictures?   No kids !

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Anyone sailing now or sailing from Miami see the New Cruise Line sailing from Miami.

Virgin Cruise Line?

CLR has been cruising with Virgin recently and has posted a lot of pictures/videos on his social media.  Beautiful looking ships with what looks like a great onboard experience for many.  Not our style though.  

• Like 5