Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

15 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Very good news -- a week after the 2nd dose, the Pfizer vaccine's efficacy was found to be 98% !!! Plenty of antibodies to be found 😁

This is one of the best things I have read today. 

• Like 3

I was looking at the site for SC vaccine usage.  One little medical center near us showed it had used 122% of the 425 doses it had received.  Ok, I’m confused.  The footnote explained that the number of available doses is based on 5 vaccinations per vial.  But that some locations were being very careful and were getting 6 or even 7 doses per vial.  I’m not any kind of medical person (in fact I close my eyes whenever a needle is around), but this sounds unusual.  Any experts out there have an opinion?

1 minute ago, ATG said:

But that some locations were being very careful and were getting 6 or even 7 doses per vial.

Not an expert, but what happened in Israel (more than 2 million vaccinated in the last 5 weeks) is that -- it seems that the vials contain 6 doses of Pfizer, if done right.

The nurses here didn't want to waste the 6th dose (it was marketed by Pfizer as 5 doses, but turns out they put more in the vials, to be on the safe side).

Pfizer was contacted, and they said: "go ahead, if you can do it right (0.3ml per vaccine) and can "squeeze" the right dosage of the 6th, no problem".

I also know that, following Pfizer's agreement, a company here manufactured injections of 0.3ml, so that it will be easier for the nurses to gauge the exact dosage...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ATG said:

I was looking at the site for SC vaccine usage.  One little medical center near us showed it had used 122% of the 425 doses it had received.  Ok, I’m confused.  The footnote explained that the number of available doses is based on 5 vaccinations per vial.  But that some locations were being very careful and were getting 6 or even 7 doses per vial.  I’m not any kind of medical person (in fact I close my eyes whenever a needle is around), but this sounds unusual.  Any experts out there have an opinion?

Vials are purposely overfilled to allow for some waste.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Not an expert, but what happened in Israel (more than 2 million vaccinated in the last 5 weeks) is that -- it seems that the vials contain 6 doses of Pfizer, if done right.

The nurses here didn't want to waste the 6th dose (it was marketed by Pfizer as 5 doses, but turns out they put more in the vials, to be on the safe side).

Pfizer was contacted, and they said: "go ahead, if you can do it right (0.3ml per vaccine) and can "squeeze" the right dosage of the 6th, no problem".

I also know that, following Pfizer's agreement, a company here manufactured injections of 0.3ml, so that it will be easier for the nurses to gauge the exact dosage...

That’s good to know.  I was a little concerned they were “shorting “ the doses by just a little.  Since it’s the closest facility to us, I wanted to make sure it was ok.  That is if I’m ever in a valid group.  SC went to 70 and up.  I’m a little young for that.  I was wishing I had saved that old fake ID from college that made me a few years older.  (Of course I never used it at a bar.....).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Mike and his family belonged to Barnegat Light Yacht Club and were always sailing on the water. They also lived on the water so sun was a constant thing for him. He has had 3 mohs surgeries. One time they had to go in 7 times to make sure they got it all and then fixed it with plastic surgery.

We belong to Spray Beach Yacht Club.  House on 20th street and club on 20th and lbi blvd.  

7x...yikes.

• Like 1

We had a busy weekend and I wasn't on the computer much. Drove a few hours away yesterday to get a look at a college DD is interested in. Had to go in to school today for a virtual PD from my office... yeah that made as little sense as it sounds! Then today I scored hard to get appointments for my mom and myself to get the Covid vaccination. Still trying to find an appointment for my husband. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

@Milwaukee Eight @Ocean Boy @A&L_Ont, @DaniDanielle @Sunshine3601, etc.

Very good news -- a week after the 2nd dose, the Pfizer vaccine's efficacy was found to be 98% !!! Plenty of antibodies to be found 😁

As I've already posted, the medical teams at the biggest hospital in Israel* were monitored after receiving the 1st and 2nd dose (this one 10 days ago).

*  "Newsweek" has ranked Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer near Tel Aviv as the world's ninth best hospital (March 2020).

This is the best news!   Thank you for sharing.   Israel is truly doing an amazing job with vaccinating everyone.  🤩🎆

I cannot remember if I had mentioned on this thread.  One of our best friends, i have known since high school, had a massive stroke before christmas.  The doctors have seen no brain activity and no responses of any kind for over 3 weeks.

His Brother called us tonight to let us know his family decided to place him into hospice, they had feeding tube removed and he should pass in a couple days.  So very very sad.  He's my age, 51.  For years our families have shared many vacations together, including cruises.   We miss him dearly.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I cannot remember if I had mentioned on this thread.  One of our best friends, i have known since high school, had a massive stroke before christmas.  The doctors have seen no brain activity and no responses of any kind for over 3 weeks.

His Brother called us tonight to let us know his family decided to place him into hospice, they had feeding tube removed and he should pass in a couple days.  So very very sad.  He's my age, 51.  For years our families have shared many vacations together, including cruises.   We miss him dearly.  

Sorry Sunshine. Strokes are really devastating and unpredictable. And that is so young.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

So young and so sad.  You have my sympathies.

6 hours ago, island lady said:

The common greeting down here in my neighborhood...."Where are you from?"   Not too many natives down here.  😉   

Mike was born in Pensacola. His dad was also a Navy pilot and was stationed there at the time. 

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

As I've already posted, the medical teams at the biggest hospital in Israel* were monitored after receiving the 1st and 2nd dose (this one 10 days ago).

*  "Newsweek" has ranked Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer near Tel Aviv as the world's ninth best hospital (March 2020).

That’s really good to hear.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

So sorry to hear this. May he go in peace.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Very sad news.

11 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Excellent news.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Since there is a discussion here of eye issues I suffer from Fuch’s Dystrophy. The best doctor for this and many other eye problems is located in Bay Ridge.

Lenny, there is hope for you (and may be an opportunity to finally visit Israel 😁).

I personally know the Professor who performed the transplant (she specialized in Canada), she is one of a kind.

https://nocamels.com/2021/01/blind-man-regains-sight-1st-artificial-cornea-corneat/

https://www.corneat.com/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, island lady said:

But at least when we "friended" someone...it was an actual face to face.  😉   And for some reason we survived without the internet, face book, twitter, cell phones...etc.   How did we ever get by??  😄

I read a great piece about what it was like as a kid back then if you wanted to go to the movies.  You called your friend's house and his mother answered and you had to wait for her to find him, you looked up what movies were playing in the newspaper, you called your parents from a payphone when the movie was done, etc. Funny because it was very real. I'll have to find it and post a link to it. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

So sorry to hear this.  Very sad situation.

16 hours ago, island lady said:

Bucky grew up in Ohio....there were many of his neighbors who never left there either.  Born there, school there, married/family there, retired there...and.....literally never left.  

Guessing that was around Cleveland??  Sounds like many of the Cleveland people that I know, although the "west side" of Cincinnati is the same way.  Of all the people that I've met/worked with across the US, the 2 places where people mostly never wanted to leave were Maine and Green Bay.  No idea why that's the case.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I read a great piece about what it was like as a kid back then if you wanted to go to the movies.  You called your friend's house and his mother answered and you had to wait for her to find him, you looked up what movies were playing in the newspaper, you called your parents from a payphone when the movie was done, etc. Funny because it was very real. I'll have to find it and post a link to it. 

What is really unthinkable is that when we left the house our parents had no way to get in touch with us. Even more unthinkable.... it didn't bother my mother in the least.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is really unthinkable is that when we left the house our parents had no way to get in touch with us. Even more unthinkable.... it didn't bother my mother in the least.

My mother's only instructions were to be home by dinner.

• Like 3