Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

🎉…finally caught up!

@reallyitsmema thank you for the clarification.  I was also wondering who the ‘new’ poster was, but then I’m old and easily confused. 😆😆
@LucasLikesToCruise Please let us know how your Mom is doing.

To everyone that posted dog/cat pictures… thank you!!

I was confused too but the avatars are similar and I went with what @Coralc was saying.  I looked at both accounts as I thought he was from Canada but the Lucas account says he is living in Florida.  I just hope he is okay and was just having a "day" like we all do at times. 🙂 

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Living on the ocean is serene. You wouldn't understand. But look at all the folks in middle of state who got flooded out. They thought they were safe being away from the ocean

I thought cape Canaveral was north of the eye enough to be out of harms way but every update has damaged items on it.  This one 3 signs for our condo were blown away and more stuff.

The first update was how close we came to being flooded. I'm so glad I refused to buy a first floor unit. 

I also saw the independence ots couldnt get in friday because the port wasnt fully open but I guess got in yesterday. New update with new problems. This is twice we lost the club house door they are now replacing, not fixing. 

"Saturday (Nov. 12th) around mid-day, our cleaning company will be at Sand Pebbles to power wash all the walkways, stairwells, and railings due to the thick residue of sand and salt from the last two hurricanes. Please let your renters/tenants/guests be aware. 

Secondly, our roofing company will be on site to inspect our metal roof and assess the beachfront building missing some hardy board, soffit, fascia and gutters as a result of the latest storm. 
We're still waiting on the handyman from our property management to respond to our request on a few items we submitted two weeks ago after Hurricane Ian. However, they stated they are three weeks behind. Although we try to be as self-sufficient as possible, some things require help from our property management folks.
Lastly, we are talking to a couple of local contractors to replace the clubhouse door and framing that was ripped out in the storm. And we have an electrician that is coming next week to repair/replace some exterior lights that were lost and/or damaged. We also have a sign guy who is coming on Monday to install the 3 signs that blew off as well. 
Please be patient while we work to get everything in order, as it will take a little time to get all the needed contractors lined up and on site.    
Thanks to our resident Bruce who jumped in (without even being asked!) to help me with clean up. It is much appreciated! 
  • Like 5

I bought knowing my parents were very elderly. My dad passed last nov. And my mom called 911 when her pulse went over 200 a few weeks ago. She is lucky a week ago she was transferred to a magnificent hospital like rehab. Way above a regular rehab. Now she has a infection and back in bed. I dont see much progress being made in her physical therapy. 

Right now her plan is when this place wants to discharge her she will go to a regular rehab until I get back from allure. She is ok with depending on me but doesnt want to bother others. So when I get back from dec allure she hopes to come back home and I'll help with meals and stuff. Idk to be honest as she keeps sliding to be able to do less. Her pt is to be able to walk on a walker to the bathroom and to step up into a car so I can bring her to the doctor. Things she could do before she called 911. 

It would be a lot to tie things up here financially and sell my house, maybe hers .. but sadly I might be in  Florida not that far away. Hope I'm wrong but things seems worse not better to me. I know people asked why I bought last year, but I'm a planner and wanted to live near a port oceanfront.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Living on the ocean is serene. You wouldn't understand. But look at all the folks in middle of state who got flooded out. They thought they were safe being away from the ocean

Yes, saw terrible pictures from Astor, Florida, only about 35 miles from you. Happy where we are living up on a Mountain here in Virginia, it would take ALOT of water for us to ever get flooded out.

We like being outside everyday, and living full time  in Florida would just be to hot for us during many  of the months in Florida.

We are about 3400 ft above sea level.

We will get our serene Ocean viewing when we are visiting on vacations. 🙂  That's  enough for us.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yes, saw terrible pictures from Astor, Florida, only about 35 miles from you. Happy where we are living up on a Mountain here in Virginia, it would take ALOT of water for us to ever get flooded out.

We will get our serene Ocean viewing when we are visiting on vacations. 🙂  That's  enough for us.

You never know , a good friend of ours in Dallas area , had his pipes freeze in his house after no power for a few days he lived for about 4 months in a hotel room with wife and 3 small dogs.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, George C said:

You never know , a good friend of ours in Dallas area , had his pipes freeze in his house after no power for a few days he lived for about 4 months in a hotel room with wife and 3 small dogs.

That's not a flood, that's just water damage due to a power failure.  When the power goes off in cold conditions when it's off longer then 24 hours, the first thing you should do is turn off the main water supply.

Only water damage you will have is when the pipes thaw. When turning back on the water check for leaks everywhere to see if any pipes expanded and broke.

Most people in Dallas don't know how to handle cold weather, same goes to driving in snow.

Edited by Jimbo

53 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

When it comes down to it, everything that really matters to us can quickly be loaded in a car.  Everything else can be replaced by insurance.  The hassle of needing to rebuild would definitely be painful, but the risk is worth it to me.

I used to live in the most beautiful area in all the world.  We left it all and some questioned why we would make the decisions we did.  What is rational to some is irrational to others. I understand people's desire to live by the ocean.  My desire is to live in the mountain again and visit the ocean when I can.  I'm currently half way in between, 2 hours from each. The next home will be above 4000 ft. minimum.  

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, George C said:

Hahahaha. That's where my house is. Condos seem to have had more damage and a year later were still waiting for insurance. Crazy. 

It was sure a mess. Hotel with 3 small dogs doesnt sound like fun, though generally I like staying in hotels but not with dogs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I thought cape Canaveral was north of the eye enough to be out of harms way but every update has damaged items on it. 

Not sure when high tide was for our area, but it's been low for the ones we went through. Volusia, which is even more north of the eye this time always seems to be hit at high tide. Makes the surge worse.

And FWIW, properties in Brevard just seem to be further off the beach with natural dunes. You don't see as many sea walls. And walls are just typically breached in a huge surge

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not sure when high tide was for our area, but it's been low for the ones we went through. Volusia, which is even more north of the eye this time always seems to be hit at high tide. Makes the surge worse.

And FWIW, properties in Brevard just seem to be further off the beach with natural dunes. You don't see as many sea walls. And walls are just typically breached in a huge surge

This was written on the 10th. Sounds close to me to flooding. First floor typically costs less. I'm so glad I wasnt tempted by lower prices and didnt buy 1st floor. 

The winds were loud and strong, waves were 15-20ft high, and it rained for hours and hours, but we came out pretty well considering. The ocean covered the sand all the way up to the boardwalk step beachside, especially during high tide, but is receding a bit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

We like being outside everyday, and living full time  in Florida would just be to hot for us during many  of the months in Florida.

Weather doesn't bother me one way or the orher. I grew up outside Joplin,  MO. The exit for tornado alley. I'd would honestly take an occasional hurricane over regular tornadoes any day. You can prep, or leave with a hurricane. Tornadoes just catch you with your pants down. 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 10

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

This was written on the 10th. Sounds close to me to flooding. First floor typically costs less. I'm so glad I wasnt tempted by lower prices and didnt buy 1st floor. 

The winds were loud and strong, waves were 15-20ft high, and it rained for hours and hours, but we came out pretty well considering. The ocean covered the sand all the way up to the boardwalk step beachside, especially during high tide, but is receding a bit. 

Just be glad the sand stopped at crossover on the beach side😉

Our old crossover is about 200' long.

I've posted this view 100+ times no doubt. Our deep dunes are a blessing to slow down wave intensity

20210827_150325.thumb.jpg.88f14bf81428852a76b885981e664e75.jpg

• Like 4

I've had a string of bad luck that started while I was sick. Finally seeing the light. Sink clogged, hot water heater went out. I thought 2 breakers went out but was all the white neutral wires in my bedrooms and bath all had to be replaced. Animal in the attic, we dont know why they shorted. Then finally in moms alley some lady came out her drive and hit me broadside. Never looked my way. Was in a hurry to pick up her kids. Not much damage but turns out there is a back log of parts, supply chain. No one around here could take me before allure cruise so friday in a pouring rain I drove out to McKinney, probably near Bonnie's apt. Had to drive so far and still sounds a little iffy if they have to replace my drivers door. But got the rental and home and taking a big sigh of relief. Oh my thermostat also went out ..so many things all broke. My house is old and everything broke at once while I was sick. 

Here are my dunes in florida. Florida weather cant be worse than texas. Last night we had freeze warnings. I'm ready for florida. Looks same as yours. I guess water was up to the walkway.

20221113_113603383.jpeg

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 8

44 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Here are my dunes in florida. Florida weather cant be worse than texas. Last night we had freeze warnings. I'm ready for florida. Looks same as yours. I guess water was up to the walkway.

As an adult, I've lived in Missouri, Maryland, Virginia, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.

All those places except Maryland had humid, miserable summers, and ice in winter. 

And I worked Texas. Same crappy seasons.

Florida aint so bad.😉

Interesting thing in Ocala is its typically 10 degrees hotter and 10 degrees cooler than Cocoa Beach on any given day. Ocean breezes make beachside living very 👌 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 5