Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

16 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Sadly, those who don't serve and don't bear the heavy price of human losses and injuries in wars, set the belligerent tone...😪

Dani, Jack and I totally agree!

On a lighter note, today was brisk, sunny in the 50s.  A bunch of us drove up to Buc-ees for their out of this world brisket sandwich.  Took approx. 30 minutes and well worth it.  

Tomorrow will be a high of 40, rain all day and a low of 33.  Lousy weather for sure.

Happy those with covid are getting better.  Both Jack and I were fatigued for a few weeks after we were done with covid.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Hey @StanleyandGus,  I saw this this morning and thought of you.  Were you sneaking around down here in CA

IMG_7205.thumb.jpeg.35081276228f5e89212ab7757407688e.jpeg

What does "Land of Living Skies" mean?  Is that because it snows a lot? 😀Or maybe because of the Aurora Borealis? Which would be really cool. 

@Tree_skier Just out of curiosity, is your wife Canadian, too? It is interesting that you ended up in the Central Valley, if you are both from BC.  We stayed down on Davie Street last time we were in Vancouver, before an Alaska cruise. At our close friends' recommendation. 😀 My mom asked why all those young men were waiting outside a club? I said, rainbow flags on the street poles, it's a nightclub, mom. We had a great time. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

I have never watched it but I just looked and it is on seven channels right now.  That's nuts!

So I watched an episode tonight just because it was talked about here. Unfortunately, it seems like I could really get into this. I wasn't really looking for another show to get hooked on.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

I am waiting for "Spirited" on Nov. 18 with Ryan Reynolds, Will Ferrell and Octavia Spencer. It is on Apple+, which is surprisingly, the only streaming channel we have besides a borrowed Netflix account and Amazon Prime. 

There was a year free subscription with my Ipad purchase. But then I kept it to watch "Finch", with Tom Hanks, which was really good, but incredibly sad. It is a pet story, but I don't think I have cried as much as since I watched "The Incredible Journey" ☺️

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Coralc said:

What does "Land of Living Skies" mean?  Is that because it snows a lot? 😀Or maybe because of the Aurora Borealis? Which would be really cool. 

@Tree_skier Just out of curiosity, is your wife Canadian, too? It is interesting that you ended up in the Central Valley, if you are both from BC.  We stayed down on Davie Street last time we were in Vancouver, before an Alaska cruise. At our close friends' recommendation. 😀 My mom asked why all those young men were waiting outside a club? I said, rainbow flags on the street poles, it's a nightclub, mom. We had a great time. 

I could be wrong (I’m from BC as well), but I think Land of the Living Skies” refers to the incredible amount of sky without any any geographical features interrupting the view. We’re the north end of the Great Plains. 

Frankly, there’s not much else to look at!   It’s beautiful, just different from mountains.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

I could be wrong (I’m from BC as well), but I think Land of the Living Skies” refers to the incredible amount of sky without any any geographical features interrupting the view. We’re the north end of the Great Plains. 

Frankly, there’s not much else to look at!   It’s beautiful, just different from mountains.

Huh! That's interesting. But not as exciting as my imagination. I'm sure it is very pretty, but awfully cold. Thanks! ☺️

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Huh! That's interesting. But not as exciting as my imagination. I'm sure it is very pretty, but awfully cold. Thanks! ☺️

I was wrong- it’s really the night sky, which has stars all around because it’s flat, and the Aurora borealis!  You were right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've had a string of bad luck that started while I was sick. Finally seeing the light. Sink clogged, hot water heater went out. I thought 2 breakers went out but was all the white neutral wires in my bedrooms and bath all had to be replaced. Animal in the attic, we dont know why they shorted. Then finally in moms alley some lady came out her drive and hit me broadside. Never looked my way. Was in a hurry to pick up her kids. Not much damage but turns out there is a back log of parts, supply chain. No one around here could take me before allure cruise so friday in a pouring rain I drove out to McKinney, probably near Bonnie's apt. Had to drive so far and still sounds a little iffy if they have to replace my drivers door. But got the rental and home and taking a big sigh of relief. Oh my thermostat also went out ..so many things all broke. My house is old and everything broke at once while I was sick. 

Oh my goodness, that is a lot to deal with at once, not to mention while sick. I hope things are calming down for you and you are feeling better. Was it the flu? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

We’re back!  I am about 70 pages behind and don’t think I’ll be able to catch up.  It is so good to be home after being gone for 5 weeks.  Still waiting for more pictures to be downloaded onto the iPad.  I’ll just share a few photos for now.  I’ll share more about the cruise and photos later.

84255C87-18BC-4576-98E0-89557C6D36E2.thumb.jpeg.6c095d502351c74252dde1aff3995099.jpeg

Welcome home!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

Land of the Living Skies examples...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/saskatchewan-called-land-of-the-living-skies-for-a-reason-1.3197847

Yes, both my wife and I were born and spent the majority of our life in BC.  Twenty years ago our daughter 18 year old daughter married a guy in WA state just south of the border  in Lynden WA.  Eight years ago I had the opportunity to begin to covert something that I had volunteered at for twenty years in my vocation.  It started part time for a couple of years and with me traveling back and forth between Canada and various locations in the US.  After two years, my wife pulled the plug on her teaching career and I began full-time doing what I'm doing basing out of Central CA.  Right about that time my SIL, who is an RN, got a very good offer to work in the corrections dept in Central CA.  He took it and we coincidently moved to the same area almost simultaneously.  

The area you stayed in was an area that I actually lived in back in the late 80's. That was a pretty dark period in my life. I wasn't on Davie but I was a few blocks off of Denman street just behind the Sylvia hotel a very short walk to English Bay Beach.  That was a lifetime ago and really a very different person.That being said, in spite of making a lot of bad life decisions down there, I always encourage folks to visit.  It was a thriving area and the restaurants and the English bay beach are a Vancouver highlight.  Also you are really close to Stanley Park which is the crown jewel of Vancouver.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

How long ago did you leave BC.  I think prairies would be hard for me to live in.  I need to see mountains every now and again.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Land of the Living Skies examples...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/saskatchewan-called-land-of-the-living-skies-for-a-reason-1.3197847

Yes, both my wife and I were born and spent the majority of our life in BC.  Twenty years ago our daughter 18 year old daughter married a guy in WA state just south of the border  in Lynden WA.  Eight years ago I had the opportunity to begin to covert something that I had volunteered at for twenty years in my vocation.  It started part time for a couple of years and with me traveling back and forth between Canada and various locations in the US.  After two years, my wife pulled the plug on her teaching career and I began full-time doing what I'm doing basing out of Central CA.  Right about that time my SIL, who is an RN, got a very good offer to work in the corrections dept in Central CA.  He took it and we coincidently moved to the same area almost simultaneously.  

The area you stayed in was an area that I actually lived in back in the late 80's. That was a pretty dark period in my life. I wasn't on Davie but I was a few blocks off of Denman street just behind the Sylvia hotel a very short walk to English Bay Beach.  That was a lifetime ago and really a very different person.That being said, in spite of making a lot of bad life decisions down there, I always encourage folks to visit.  It was a thriving area and the restaurants and the English bay beach are a Vancouver highlight.  Also you are really close to Stanley Park which is the crown jewel of Vancouver.

That is absolutely beautiful! It would be so wonderful and to see the awesome borealis lights. Although, I guess you would probably get inured to them after a while. If they were where you lived. What a neat thing! 😀

Thanks for explaining your migration. I loved visiting Vancouver and the Stanley Park Zoo and watching the polar bears every Easter, when we lived in Seattle when I was younger. 

I guess the zoo became sort of sort of derelict, as you mention about the area around Davie. The area around the area around the Ballantyne Pier was kind of like that, too. That's too bad. We enjoyed the aquarium on our last visit.

You have mentioned your profession previously. So, I kind of understand. I am glad that you are in California, and that you are here on Cruise Critic. I hope we have the opportunity to meet you onboard, or maybe next time you are in the East Bay? ☺️

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Oh my goodness, that is a lot to deal with at once, not to mention while sick. I hope things are calming down for you and you are feeling better. Was it the flu? 

No imo e coli. I was b2b and sat my first leg over 50 posted they all got diarrhea sat night. Too many to be a coincidence. One went into the hospital and many went to doctors and got on antibiotics though it wasnt clear cut but every doctor said food related. Not all tested positive for e coli. So the woman in the hospital for 5 days they sent home and treated her for e.coli. I didnt see my doctor and symptoms got better but I didnt feel well then came down with a raging temperature and thought I would have to go into the hospital but my doctor sent antibiotics. And then I had a few side issues from the antibiotics. 

For me in a way it kinda worked out. The thermostat went out during when I had a fever but the wiring in my bedroom 2 weeks later but before i was well enough to call my fix it guy. I think the moon and the stars rise with this guy. Came from Iraq and using his money to take flying lessons. A lot of my renovations here from home depot. Hes a wiring genius. Instead of replacing the thermostat which I would have been ok with he changed a fuse. And got a friend over as the wiring was a 2 man job. He went into my crawl space of a attic and fed down wires to replace all the white neutral wires to all my overhead lights and wall sockets and bathroom. And hung a mirror. All for really reasonable. He said before I was one of his first customers and he will always take care of me. This way he did it all in one trip.

So all my stuff is done except for my car. I need to drive to Galveston dec 3. I called around near me and nov 28, next place 4 weeks. Way out for me in McKinney they could get me in last friday. Still sounds like a squeeker to get my car bsck by dec 3 if they have to order a new door. Moms alley. She never looked my direction, pulled out right into me and hit me in the drivers door, but going slow, she apologized but still I have to get it fixed. Her insurance took full responsibility.  Car repairs are having slow shipping near me so I drove it out to Bonnie's area. 

My mom is my worry, she doesnt seem to be improving. She thinks when I get home from allure I can cater her meals and she can come home. I'm not as sure as she cant do as much as she was doing when she called 911 a few weeks back. She is in a top notch place that is a cross between a hospital and rehab except better. But they try and limit you to 10 days. She was transferred there a week ago sunday. I hope I'm wrong but to me she is losing ground. She is 96 now. Her pulse was going off the charts everytime she got up to do something. Went over 200 and she called 911.  

We were assuming she would transfer to a regular rehab but now she got a infection and flat on her back. So idk. I bought her a cell phone for the regular rehab place. I might have been overly optimistic. 

Sorry for the long explanation, but lots going on. I came to see if ourusualbeach and from sea to shining sea were back from their cruises. 

• Like 14

I am going to say something that sounds awful and say, "That you don't really ever get to truly be an adult, until your parents are gone". 

Which is awful, but the ongoing care and concern they need is so stressful. My dad passed away a long time ago, but the last few years with my mom were just a constant worry. And so many decisions revolved around her and her care. She left us with financial issues and a house full of stuff. But it was a little bit of a relief, and some of the pressure was off. ☺️

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@grapau27 Graham, Adelaide had some very damaging weather yesterday.  I hope Pauline’s sister’s home was not impacted and she is not without power.

Thank you.

It is Pauline's cousin and her husband in Adelaide.

They are in regular contact by text and phone.

Pauline has just text now.

Graham.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, I really enjoyed season 1.  I saw a trailer for season 2 and wasn't sure about it.   Hopefully it improves.  Please keep us posted since I don't have HBO right now.   Waiting for the next freebie to binge on succession and white Lotus, if good.

We're watching it now,  I am anyway, Gary is only really interested in historic (WW1/2) or car shows.

It's OK. I'm interested in the scenery as we are going there to help look after baby g/son next May, as parents are going to a no children wedding there. We also went to Taormino a few years ago on a cruise

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Arzeena said:

New season of The Crown is on.

Lots of chat here on news sites that there should be a disclaimer that it is fictional, based on true events. Former Prime Minsters depicted saying that conversations between them and then Prince Charles are pure fiction but show PC in a bad light for instance. 

Personally I think that now its more up to date and people shown are still alive they should put out a disclaimer before each episode. 

Haven't started watching yet but I will at some stage

• Like 4

18 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Living on the ocean is serene. You wouldn't understand. But look at all the folks in middle of state who got flooded out. They thought they were safe being away from the ocean

I would love to live closer to the beach. Love love love the sea

• Like 8

Poor little g/son in hospital over weekend. Parents took him to A&E as he was wheezing badly and they admitted him onto ward. They've kept him in for two nights on oxygen and medication to open airwaves. I was going over to hospital today to give parents a break but they are hoping Dr's will discharge as hes much better now and a parent has to be there for discharge 

Other baby g/son also has another cold, only 2 months old and has had a few already 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 15

54 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Poor little g/son in hospital over weekend. Parents took him to A&E as he was wheezing badly and they admitted him onto ward. They've kept him in for two nights on oxygen and medication to open airwaves. I was going over to hospital today to give parents a break but they are hoping Dr's will discharge as hes much better now and a parent has to be there for discharge 

Other baby g/son also has another cold, only 2 months old and has had a few already 

It’s awful when the little ones are sick.  Must be a relief to all that he is well enough to be discharged.  Hope both grandsons recover quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1