Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

7 minutes ago, George C said:

My temperature is currently 105 , pool temperature at 2pm was 90 , been over 100 for about ten days or so , need to refill pool several times a week because of evaporation. 

When you throw in an ice cube, how long does it take to melt?

90 degree water isn't really that refreshing is it?

We have our hot tub set on 99 degrees. Which is nice for our cooler evenings.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, h20skibum said:

News from the home front about our golfing grandson.  I forgot to mention that his team won all of their golf scrambles. 

Yesterday, he was in a golf tournament, and placed first in the 14 and under group (he is still 10 for the next month and a half)

I looked at the scores, and he shot lower than everyone in the 17 and under also, including all the girls grouping.  It was only a 9 hole tournament, but his 31 was outstanding.  

Charlie was a very good golfer when he was young.   He won quite a few tournaments and his handicap was a three.  His father said he went downhill when he discovered girls and alcohol😳so

Keep your grandson away from temptation!!!!!!!

• Haha 10

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Depends on the size of the ice cube. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

My son used them years ago when he was in college and they worked fine for him.  I don't remember the brand we bought.  I gave some to my Mom to use on cruises and they worked well.  She would cut them up into smaller pieces because one sheet was too much for a sink of laundry.  As far as Dawn, we squirt a little Dawn on a paper towel and let it dry.  We then cut that up in a couple of pieces and bring in a ziploc bag.  I just wet the paper towel and use it to wash out our freestyle cups.  No need to bring a sponge and just throw it out when done.

That is a great idea.  I always wondered what people did with their freestyle cups.  I hate to think that most people don't wash them.

• Like 1

Our nephew’s team was knocked out today, after 3 games. They eventually ran out of pitchers. Owen did go out and help the last pitcher warm up while the catcher was gearing up.

Baseball from 10:15 to 6 today was enough.  Tomorrow there’s more, but hopefully just one game. 🤞

IMG_0989.thumb.jpeg.a684ab52e723ef9e3b8443ba83e8aa27.jpeg

• Like 9

9 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Very easy and doesn't take long.  I went with a semi-rich syrup which is 1.5 cups sugar in 1 cup water.  Normal is 1:1 and rich is 2:1. Stir over medium heat (don't boil) until the sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and cool.  I put the hot sauce pan on a larger pot that had ice in the bottom to cool faster.  Transfer to a sealed bottle and refrigerate.  The whole process took less than 10 minutes.

The good and bad about homemade syrups is that they have no preservatives.  Better for you, but they don't last as long.  The Demerara syrup will only last a few weeks.  Increasing the amount of sugar, or even adding a small amount of vodka, will extend the life.  

I heard that my syrups should last about a month. Need to taste beginning and then after a month and compare.

7 hours ago, jagsfan said:

@Sea Dog@bobmacliberty

When y’all are inventing or improving cocktails, I wish one of you would bend your impressive mind to duplicating the Long Hot Summer I had in Maine!

I mentioned it before, and should have asked point blank for help!

Bacardi White Rum

Cruzan Dark Rum

Pina Colada with lime juice

Blueberry and Strawberry purée 

I have no clue about measurements, or if Pina colada with lime juice is something that can be bought!

I’ll research it but I think the AI version could be pretty close.

7 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Anybody sailing on Celebrity in the very near future, check you cruise planners. For some it is up to 50% off discounts to upgrade the AI classic to premium drink package. Wifi upgrade to premier dropped to $4.99, some shore excursions are 40% off.

Need to check this out for our April sailing.

6 hours ago, derorim said:

I thought it would be fun to ask ChatGPT, the artificial intelligence bot, how to make a cocktail with those ingredients.  This is what it came up with:

1 oz Bacardi White Rum
1 oz Cruzan Dark Rum
2 oz Pina Colada Mix
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz blueberry purée
1/2 oz strawberry purée
Ice cubes
Pineapple wedge and fresh berries (blueberries and strawberries) for garnish

• In a cocktail shaker, add Bacardi White Rum, Cruzan Dark Rum, Pina Colada Mix, and lime juice.
  • Fill the shaker with ice cubes, close it tightly, and shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds to chill the mixture.
  • Strain the cocktail into a chilled glass filled with ice cubes.
  • Gently pour the blueberry purée and strawberry purée on opposite sides of the glass to create a layered effect.
  • Garnish the cocktail with a pineapple wedge and fresh berries on a cocktail pick or a small skewer.
  • Give the drink a gentle stir just before enjoying to mix the flavors.

That looks pretty accurate from other cocktail ms I’ve made.

1 hour ago, Husky1987 said:

Today’s pick up from my local Bourbon Hunter’s FB group.IMG_4191.thumb.jpeg.bf327be979926473357a1f5fc4a59198.jpeg

Good score never seen Dad’s Hat before. I like the Barrel series but it’s pretty pricey.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Good score never seen Dad’s Hat before. I like the Barrel series but it’s pretty pricey.

I hadn’t either but I always like to try new barrel picks from the group.  It’s based out of a restaurant/whiskey bar in Seattle (if you look close enough you can see the name on the Dad’s Hat).

I’ve never tried Barrell but have heard good things.  This is also my first BT SiB/store pick, so I’m kinda excited to compare it to a regular BT.

Next on the list (waiting for delivery to the bar) is an EH Taylor single barrel.  I’ve had pours of the small batch but excited to try a SiB.

• Like 1

Just now, Husky1987 said:

I hadn’t either but I always like to try new barrel picks from the group.  It’s based out of a restaurant/whiskey bar in Seattle (if you look close enough you can see the name on the Dad’s Hat).

I’ve never tried Barrell but have heard good things.  This is also my first BT SiB/store pick, so I’m kinda excited to compare it to a regular BT.

Next on the list (waiting for delivery to the bar) is an EH Taylor single barrel.  I’ve had pours of the small batch but excited to try a SiB.

I bought a bottle of Barrel I think it was batch 91. At first I wasn’t blown away but after some time I grew to like it. It’s basically blended MGP bourbon. You will love the EH Taylor. The single barrel is one of my all time favorite bourbons. I just wish you could get it. I have two and half bottles left. I drink it sparingly because it’s so good I don’t want to run out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Buffalo still hard to get my hands on here.

I can't find it on any shelves near me.  However, there was plenty on the shelf in the Total Wine 45 minutes from me (1 per customer). 🤷‍♂️  I wish bourbon was more like Scotch in that you can more easily find the good stuff...it's just expensive.  I'm not a Scotch drinker though.

12 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks, Sue.

Sadly, they traveled independently, with 4 bags and on their own dime... whereas we were sent to Brussels by a multi-national company, all expenses paid, a big container with all our belongings and a zero-mile company car from day 1.

DS2 is providing, part-time, legal services to his old law firm, while pursuing his doctorate in law. The original plan was to travel next year, and do his post-doctorate in Holland. The "situation" here being what it is, my DIL wanted to spare the kids another round, or two, of hostilities.

For sure ... thinking mainly of the ferry to Newcastle ( @grapau27 ) , or visiting a lovely couple in Berkshire 😉 😘

I’m so sorry, Dani. I know it must break your heart to have them living so far from you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Does anyone use laundry detergent sheets? We use Tide pods, but was thinking of getting some sheets to take on cruises. I usually just have a small bottle of Dawn, about 2 oz. I can use it on anything so I’m wondering about the sheets.

I just use the Shower Goop to wash my hand-washable clothing on board.  I figure if it gets sweat/body oil off my body, it will do the same for my clothing!  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That is a great idea.  I always wondered what people did with their freestyle cups.  I hate to think that most people don't wash them.

Just like for laundry, I just use the soap that Royal provides in the room, 

Soap is soap.  It's not like I have to cut through a bunch of fryer grease in a whole sink full of dishes.  Works fine on the Freestyle Cups the same as it does for my laundry.  

• Like 5

On 8/4/2023 at 9:04 PM, harryfat1 said:

For those that have dined with the revised MDR menu in 2023, any suggestions on what's good to order for dinner nightly? 

I have checked YouTube for some reviews on the new menu and I more or less know I will order for the upcoming cruise next week but just checking if anyone here has any "must-order" suggestions from the MDR menu? 

It's a short 4-night cruise so I think we have the Welcome Aboard Dinner on night 1.  The Royal App says day 2 is "A Taste of Mexico".  Day 3 is "Taste of Italy".

The Spinach and Artichoke Dip was really bland.  I ordered it once to try it, and then never again.

The Polenta Fries (not sure why they're on the Italian menu???) were similarly disappointing. 

The (Italian???) Spiced Lamb Kofta and the (Caribbean???) Rustic Chicken Korma tasted eerily similar to each other. 

On Mexican Night, the Pulled Pork Enchilada is actually just a burrito stuffed full of pork, with what seemed to be watered down marinara poured over the top.  It wasn't bad... it just wasn't an enchilada!  Same for the Carne Asada -- it wasn't bad, but it sure wasn't carne asada!  I did enjoy the Grilled Sweet Corn Cakes.  

If you have a Royal Night, the Vidalia Onion Tart is always good, if you like quiche.  The Stuffed Red Bell Pepper was disappointing, as the pepper was stuffed with nothing but some very dry, bland couscous.  Since it was a vegan dish, it didn't have any meat in the stuffing, but they certainly could have put some veggies or tofu or SOMEthing else in the pepper besides just plain old couscous.

If you have the Bon Voyage menu, I like the Pan-Seared Asparagus appetizer -- I usually ask for a couple of those as my side dish with my entree (it's like 3 or 4 stalks of asparagus).  The Vegetable Greek Moussaka was disappointing, and unlike any moussaka I've ever had.  (I was spoiled having an authentic Greek restaurant in my hometown, where the original owners were "fresh off the boat" when they started their restaurant.)  

Sorry, this is more of a "what to avoid" than a "what to order"!  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I have thrown ice in the pool but not recently, it melt’s really quick , actually 90 isn’t that bad , I am sure it was a couple of degrees warmer later in the afternoon. My pool isn’t that large but is a little more than 10,000 gallons . One of my buddies just had a new pool built and he said he has a device that will. Either cool or heat the water , need to ask him how that was working next time I see him. 

• Like 5