Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I actually hate 4th of July for many reasons but mainly as I  had to work covering the news that night for many years. I can’t tell you how many stories I did about people blowing their hands off with fireworks. I love a good display but leave fireworks to the professionals. 

I always liked July 4th , as a kid remember firecrackers, ashcans , Roman candles on the streets of Brooklyn. Now that’s it’s my wife’s birthday we have a nice barbecue and pool party and can normally see fireworks from nearby cities.  Pool will not be too refreshing because it will be a hundred again , but glad I can jump in and out while cooking my marinated chicken legs and our hot Italian sausage. Wish everybody a happy 4th. 

• Like 13

20 minutes ago, George C said:

I always liked July 4th , as a kid remember firecrackers, ashcans , Roman candles on the streets of Brooklyn. Now that’s it’s my wife’s birthday we have a nice barbecue and pool party and can normally see fireworks from nearby cities.  Pool will not be too refreshing because it will be a hundred again , but glad I can jump in and out while cooking my marinated chicken legs and our hot Italian sausage. Wish everybody a happy 4th. 

Happy July 4h and Happy Birthday to Shelagh.

Best fireworks EVER was in the Bronx, I think Van Cortlandt Park, circa mid 70s or so. Arthur Fiedler conducting the Boston Pops.  Free outdoor concert on the lawn.  Sitting on blankets, munching cheese, fruit, drinking wine, etc. The culmination was the 1812 Overture with cannon shots and the most awesome fireworks display.  All these years later, it was a night I'll never forget.

• Like 11

40 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Happy July 4h and Happy Birthday to Shelagh.

Best fireworks EVER was in the Bronx, I think Van Cortlandt Park, circa mid 70s or so. Arthur Fiedler conducting the Boston Pops.  Free outdoor concert on the lawn.  Sitting on blankets, munching cheese, fruit, drinking wine, etc. The culmination was the 1812 Overture with cannon shots and the most awesome fireworks display.  All these years later, it was a night I'll never forget.

We can hear the fireworks currently but can’t see them , our favorite restaurant has a great view but traffic is terrible going and coming back since it’s the best fireworks in the city  in Addison. We were in New York City for Shelagh 50th everybody was walking down to docks we just stayed in Gallaghers.

• Like 3

I'm not sure what the laws are in New York regarding legal fireworks. I think only hand held sparklers and certainly nothing that can be launched into the air. I can tell you that it's not enforced. My neighborhood has sounded like a war zone for the past 2 hours (currently 10:52 pm as I write this) and it will only get worse tomorrow.  Many of my neighbors can put on better displays than the professionals hired by the town. In years past, I could sit in my backyard & look in all directions to enjoys. 

This year, I won't be around as I'm heading up to visit my brother-in-law (DW brother) in the Finger Lakes tomorrow afternoon. Would have liked to drive up today but my step daughter has to work tomorrow morning.  Hope to catch some fireworks over the lake.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I walked by last year when meeting ex-coworkers for dinner in lower Manhattan.  What amazed be was the pools seemed so much smaller in person.  Given how tall the towers were, I thought the footprints would have been much more massive (wider). I'm assuming where the names are etched would have been the outer walls of the twin towers.

The new buildings nowadays are super tall but skinny so it's not surprising the footprint of the twin towers are not that big.

20240702_122408.thumb.jpg.e7794194accc2ac78e35768e71d1e396.jpg

check out how skinny the buildings in the background look but very tall

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Pre cruise on Liberty of the Seas out of NJ we took a 6 -7 hour bus tour of NYC. Best tour ever even though we had to hire a pricy car service to get us from our hotel in NJ to NYC to meet the tour & then come back to get & take us back.  It  was well worth the money. We got to see all the free stuff and take the ferry, at our age that was the only way we could do it. I'm sorry we did not get to see the underground museum seeing the outdoor memorial was so touching and peaceful. 

Thanks so much for your pictures.  

You are welcome. Sorry that they won't allow pictures to be taken in the main section of the 9/11 memorial or else I would have.

The indoor museum had the chronological order of the attack that day and many news footages as it happened for people to understand the story. Especially for young folks like my kids who were either too young or wasny born yet by the 9/11 attack, the museum is a good way to remind them of the history. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty may be tourist traps that most locals won't stop foot in it but I assume many New Yorker at one time or another have visited Central Park.

I'm a big fan of the TV series, Law and Order, which is based on the Manhattan DA office. Based on that show, you would think every other that walks around Central Park has a good odds of bring shot or robbed.

But the biggest danger I experienced during my half day visit at the park are the crazy bicyclists that think they own the road. It's a miracle half of the people walking around don't get run over by a crazy bicyclist.

20240702_104928.thumb.jpg.126fa11fb1200a8d576c2b675f401932.jpg

20240702_112511.thumb.jpg.aeef089b99f92905a2471ede31798b1b.jpg

20240702_111125.thumb.jpg.1a55829d8a42aaa24ae6205fca4284d2.jpg

20240702_112610.thumb.jpg.6e4a83070b2b0a742106aab341ef5ef4.jpg

20240702_120540.thumb.jpg.884142e9c178c2a318bcde3ce0d95c24.jpg

20240702_121924.thumb.jpg.44fcd04391ae7e05eda80a62fc414ca1.jpg

20240702_130348.thumb.jpg.f52ef0d771bd8bae06a9a5b0ddaea88b.jpg

20240702_144059.thumb.jpg.a854de9b77ccc6f8a1390bc57ab75fc6.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

The new buildings nowadays are super tall but skinny so it's not surprising the footprint of the twin towers are not that big.

20240702_122408.thumb.jpg.e7794194accc2ac78e35768e71d1e396.jpg

check out how skinny the buildings in the background look but very tall

I was watching the first episode of the new Netflix reality real estate series, Owning Manhattan.  We got a look inside the Penthouse  atop the Central Park Tower, the tallest residential building in the world.  All I could think about was The Towering Inferno…which is being re-screened at the cinema on its 50th anniversary.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It was a beautiful, hot day yesterday, but rain came just as we were getting ready to serve food from our cookout.  Had to move our eating indoors. 

The rain cleared out, and we drove to see some fireworks.  

Someone is patiently waiting. 

IMG_1594.thumb.jpeg.a8eeb1b4df2045dde6a195ed9f373814.jpeg

It was a nice show with lots of music. 

IMG_1598.thumb.jpeg.2bcd2cd42fd9758de2fb571560cdc86c.jpeg

IMG_1603.thumb.jpeg.be817f184a709fdecd98060b27158c3e.jpeg

More of the same planned for us today. 

Hope everyone has a safe 4th. 

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I actually hate 4th of July for many reasons but mainly as I  had to work covering the news that night for many years. I can’t tell you how many stories I did about people blowing their hands off with fireworks. I love a good display but leave fireworks to the professionals. 

I agree with you Greg.  Distractions with kids/adults running around, alcohol and explosives... What could possibly go wrong. 😬

dp

• Like 5

7 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

The Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty may be tourist traps that most locals won't stop foot in it but I assume many New Yorker at one time or another have visited Central Park.

I'm a big fan of the TV series, Law and Order, which is based on the Manhattan DA office. Based on that show, you would think every other that walks around Central Park has a good odds of bring shot or robbed.

But the biggest danger I experienced during my half day visit at the park are the crazy bicyclists that think they own the road. It's a miracle half of the people walking around don't get run over by a crazy bicyclist.

20240702_104928.thumb.jpg.126fa11fb1200a8d576c2b675f401932.jpg

20240702_112511.thumb.jpg.aeef089b99f92905a2471ede31798b1b.jpg

20240702_111125.thumb.jpg.1a55829d8a42aaa24ae6205fca4284d2.jpg

20240702_112610.thumb.jpg.6e4a83070b2b0a742106aab341ef5ef4.jpg

20240702_120540.thumb.jpg.884142e9c178c2a318bcde3ce0d95c24.jpg

20240702_121924.thumb.jpg.44fcd04391ae7e05eda80a62fc414ca1.jpg

20240702_130348.thumb.jpg.f52ef0d771bd8bae06a9a5b0ddaea88b.jpg

20240702_144059.thumb.jpg.a854de9b77ccc6f8a1390bc57ab75fc6.jpg

I think that the next time I go to Central Park maybe I need to go with a plan. I usually just walk around aimlessly and I've missed things that you have photographed and there is probably much more that I haven't seen. Making the transition from the grid layout of the city to the meandering paths of the park confuses my head.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I was watching the first episode of the new Netflix reality real estate series, Owning Manhattan.  We got a look inside the Penthouse  atop the Central Park Tower, the tallest residential building in the world.  All I could think about was The Towering Inferno…which is being re-screened at the cinema on its 50th anniversary.

Having to evacuate via the staircases of these tall buildings wouldn't be fun.

They list one of the condos near central park at a mere $195M.

https://centralparktowerpenthouse.com/

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 4:04 AM, sgmn said:

Sorry to read you're in so much pain from ankle surgery

I also am finding my ankle is getting more and more painful. I have self diagnosed (sorry @Ocean Boy) arthritis and should really go see my Dr to see if anything can be done. It's low level  pain which comes and goes but is worse after long walks in the woods. I also think I'm getting arthritis in my fingers, they are getting nobbley snd painful to squeeze shut.

Does anyone know if there's any self help I can do, vitamins? Exercises? Diet changes? 

I can avoid arthritis pain by diet -- pretty much zero sugar, and I also avoid yeast products. Not sure how or why it helps, but if I slip up, I have pain in breast bone and fingers.

PS - There are various names for sugar, such as corn syrup, anything "-ose" etc. I eat Simply Fruit instead of jelly. Original Triscuits are sugar free. Lots of label reading.

Edited by Etta1213
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, dpostman said:

I agree with you Greg.  Distractions with kids/adults running around, alcohol and explosives... What could possibly go wrong. 😬

dp

Yes I agree. Part of my decision not liking fireworks happened several times as a kid resulting in trauma. First as a kid maybe 4 or 5 I was at a backyard 4th of July party where a friend of my dad’s attempted to light an M-80 and throw it up in the air. The wind caught it and blew it back into him and it blew up near his hand causing him to lose a finger. Seeing it horrified me.

Then as a middle schooler some kids were lighting off firecrackers. As a joke one of them lit off a string right behind me really close. Not only did it scare the crap out of me. It made me almost deaf for 30 minutes. My ears were ringing so loud that I had thought I had permanently lost my hearing. Needless to say I am not of fan of fireworks. I like a good professional display but regular people with fireworks, add alcohol and just plain stupidity equals bad outcomes.

• Like 7