Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

40 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Sunny welcome for DH in his early morning walk

_DSC4218_edited.jpg

Gorgeous!  I love sunflowers.

I usually have growing in my flower beds by now, but none of the seeds I planted this spring did anything.   Guess the birds or squirrels ate the seeds.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Sunny welcome for DH in his early morning walk

_DSC4218_edited.jpg

Beautiful, I can only see your beauty.

We planted over 3 packets of giant sunflower seeds on one side of the interior garden.

I might have one stalk started.

Actually chased the squirrels out of the garden.

I knew who the varmen were, the ones who in the winter attack the bird feeders, and now attacked the sunflower seeds.

At least the rest of our garden is doing well.  No deer, ground hogs or rabbits in so far.

Stay healthy

Edited by Lionesss
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Our days of summer fun continue.  It was sunny and high 80’s today, so we did a little boating. 

Grandson liked feeding the geese, and only got nipped once. 

B415D547-1BE7-4637-BBE5-68B894D7E3BC.thumb.jpeg.99d6af0a0281b8f7e4005a4de142c597.jpeg

14456261-2F09-4770-873E-EE126A93182B.thumb.jpeg.72eb77e586f73714645f55972c93f4cb.jpeg

1A4C4F1A-17B8-4872-9A81-09408922C3FF.thumb.jpeg.e8788353a333f69619d18131a3375432.jpeg

A little time in the tube with his grandma 

98B0122D-746E-4AA2-A54F-A8A1C2BDE5BA.thumb.jpeg.e0870e7df1b185fa638e7fa959cc5513.jpeg

And even a turn at the wheel.  

BEE115B1-6AD0-42F0-91FE-C5BCC47AE8F6.thumb.jpeg.1f5732c445e812655c6db66a161e6a6d.jpeg

Wonderful pictures.  Looks like he's having the best time!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Mango is sweet in taste and Guava is sweet-sour.

Sounds like the drink you made is nothing but sweet .

So…. Are you trying to confuse me.  The drink had mango and Guava juice, so sweet and sour.

The question I asked was what is the difference between Guava and Guavaberry?

I, personally had a gin and tonic, and generally avoid all fruit juice drinks unless I am on holiday somewhere tropical.

jc

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

When did they last get hit? Somehow I missed the info.

Hurricane Irma as a Cat 5 storm hit on September 6, 2017 and was over land for 8 hours.  At the time 90% of the buildings were damaged and a third of them destroyed.

jc

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

Beautiful, I can only see your beauty.

We planted over 3 packets of giant sunflower seeds on one side of the interior garden.

I might have one stalk started.

Actually chased the squirrels out of the garden.

I knew who the varmen were, the ones who in the winter attack the bird feeders, and now attacked the sunflower seeds.

At least the rest of our garden is doing well.  No deer, ground hogs or rabbits in so far.

Stay healthy

I planted marigolds around the perimeter of my veggie garden in NY.  I was advised it repels critters. 

@dani negreanubeautiful sunflowers!  What a lovely find when taking a walk.

@singinalotGreat pictures as always.  The drove brings an extra element of beauty.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

So…. Are you trying to confuse me.  The drink had mango and Guava juice, so sweet and sour.

The question I asked was what is the difference between Guava and Guavaberry?

I, personally had a gin and tonic, and generally avoid all fruit juice drinks unless I am on holiday somewhere tropical.

jc

Google:

The guava berry has also been introduced to Florida, Hawaii, Bermuda, and the Philippines. The fruit which is often confused with guava is actually very different from it. Though it has the tanginess of guava, it is rather a close relative to Camu Camu.

What does Camu Camu taste like? Thanks to the high level of acidity, Camu Camu has a sour/tart flavor. This gives the fruit a flavor like an acidic cherry or even a citrus fruit.

The aged liqueur has a woody, fruity, spicy, bitter-sweet flavour all of its own. The name "Guavaberry" is of Caribbean Amer-Indian origin.

What Does Guava Taste Like? Guava's flavor is unique, sweet, and almost universally pleasant. Many people think it tastes like a hybrid between a strawberry and a pear. The sweetness of the fruit depends on which type you're eating.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Coralc said:

Thank you OB. You are going to make me start crying again. I thought I had managed to stop. That is a wonderful sentiment and a beautiful picture. Thank you. 

It is so sad, people don’t seem to understand a pet is more than a pet😢

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I thought for sure you were going to say everyone wanted to try the cheese while drinking on the plane.

I thought you were going to say the neighbor was lactose intolerant.

@Coralc  I'm really sorry to hear of the loss of your mom's pet.  You were a wonderful guardian to the Pirate. 

Add me to the list of wanting to be a stewardess.  Getting a barbie plane was one of my most memorable toys.  My grandmother traveled all over the world and being a flight attendant seemed so glamorous.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

The cheese wheels reminds me of a gift I brought back for a neighbor. I was on a 5 day trip with Pan Am out of Aruba and Mike was also on a trip. I don't remember how many days his was. The neighbors always watched our cats when we were gone. There was a hurricane and it was supposed to miss South Florida. While we were gone it took a turn and headed for Florida which was totally unexpected. The neighbor was super nice and put up the shutters for us and we didn't even ask. I knew he wouldn't take any money from us and I also knew he loved cheese. 

They always put us in La Cabana a time share and resort. It was a fabulous place to stay for 5 days. It's one of those places with a swim up pool bar (among other things, but that stands out in my head) and also on Eagle Beach. The bottom rooms had a grill so we always made sure at least 1 crew member had one of those. We were off more than we flew on those trips. We would always stop at this one store to buy food to grill and that's where I spotted some monster cheese wheels.

Anyway, on the way out I got the driver to stop at the store for a cheese wheel. I bought the biggest wheel they had. I don't remember how much it weighed, but it just barely fit in my arm from my elbow past my wrist and was at least 4" tall. It was frigging heavy to carry around like that. We were supposed to be going from Aruba to Orlando and back to Aruba. Due to the hurricane we didn't know what was going to happen so we brought all our luggage and the infamous cheese wheel with us.

That was going to be bad enough carrying this thing around but we ended up flying back to Aruba. The next day as per our typical schedule we deadheaded on AA to Miami for the end of our trip. (They also always put us in first class so any crew member not in uniform could partake in the free booze. Ah, those were the days.) This was before Aruba had pre-clearance so we had to walk the long way for customs and immigration in Miami. While it was in a sack it would whack the side of my leg and I didn't want that since I have a tendency to bruise easily. I ended up carrying it on my arm the entire time. Ugh! Better a hurting arm than bruises.

There also wasn't any room for it to fit in my luggage or on top since I already had a bag there. A couple of other crew members offered to carry it, but I was stubborn and determined that I would carry it myself. I also didn't want to have someone else carry it since it was heavy. Being guys it probably would have been much easier for them but I wanted to do it myself. 💪back then anyway. The only way to get it home was the painful way, but I was going to do it if it killed me. 😁  He was very happy to get it and shocked that I was able to carry it home. It also lasted him for months. 

Those 5 day trips consisted of -

1. Fly to Aruba.

2. Off.

3. The ABCs. Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. We never hit 10,000 feet so we never left our seats. Super easy trip which didn't take very long.

4. Aruba to Orlando and back to Aruba. 

5. Deadhead to Miami on AA. It was like a vacation. 

Sorry for the long post, very fond memories and it all started with a cheese wheel. 😊

Sounds like a fun trip!  

Indeed I have seen crew members carrying those big wheels of Gouda back to the ship, many of them with cart dollies.   I think the chefs on board were using them in the regular menus as well.  Great melting cheese!  🙂 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, singinalot said:

after exploring a bit of the island that first day we headed back to the hotel to enjoy dinner at the restaurant overlooking the marina. 

0035EDF2-1540-4ABE-9339-5B0C7A1F9B1E.thumb.jpeg.22d6b63fe089e70f25c2c7415bdf1d7d.jpeg

2C7E4B64-0D08-4154-AD76-96EE88F9C516.thumb.jpeg.c8f03ace0930a512a1edcfad1a0c99dd.jpeg

3B6E480B-F3FA-4E8C-A75E-90D4AE0EB552.thumb.jpeg.1ec78fa26d96c32e958edfd118e38cf7.jpeg

50C30F53-10FE-4C64-A057-988CA349B58C.thumb.jpeg.1f6b5ae2ad2622e4d05cbb69f870cdf8.jpeg

9279DCBA-B3AA-4FC2-82BC-A3137FB68951.thumb.jpeg.aad46d405b0bd40731d9d53761b98775.jpeg

B294AB5D-C195-4C14-B25E-45CE0F1F74CD.thumb.jpeg.d85e5aeb41f588dc82acde44ef7028bf.jpeg

CD2A3FAC-9A57-4407-ABBA-D81FB76C8D9E.thumb.jpeg.ea5b513fd77dd0cb2ebacef6dfa5fc58.jpeg

After dinner we watched sunset from our balcony and then spent a few hours at the hotel lobby bar.

0E80863D-2026-4C6C-894C-09A1611F08C3.thumb.jpeg.db4be2412a34c0fe107fd8fa6ac8e729.jpeg

D1F34942-809D-4984-80A5-531860D0E410.thumb.jpeg.d4567e3f269f20e266d9a52a4d59339c.jpeg

Looks like a great new hotel with a perfect location too.      Was the food as good as it looks?    

Looks like that was crab dip?

18 hours ago, Coralc said:

And one of the inherited cats is gone. We had to have Grey Kitty put to sleep yesterday. He only had one eye, because the other cat had whacked him years ago. In addition to the renal failure and hyperthyroidism that we had been treating with IV fluids and pills...he apparently went blind in his remaining eye on Friday evening. The vet said probably from the kidney disease or high blood pressure. It was very sad.  

Pirate Kitty small.jpg

Hugs to you, so sorry for the loss of Grey Kitty.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

we then desperately went to find lunch. We were hangry and stumbled upon a little place I would think “diners, drive ins and dives”. it turned out to be the cutest greek lady who owned it and she made us delicious lunch. This was a cash only place.

D1DC478A-8302-4C45-A510-64D1CEA72022.thumb.jpeg.c017c4562c242068e5d4b4bd1de635f4.jpeg

Now that's a salad! Yum. 

17 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Haha.  I wanted to be an airline stewardess, too.  But it was not to be because of my height and because I wore glasses.

Here's another girl who wanted to be an airline stewardess!  On my way to my interview, my Mom's car died on the highway, and I never got there.  I don't remember what airline it was.  I then had an interview in Midtown Manhattan, and I was so sick with a bad cold.  I made it there, but was never asked back.  Ah, well!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Coralc said:

Thank you everyone. :classic_smile: It was very sad. But my mom would have expected us to take good care of them both after she passed away. And we did. He had a very good life here for a few years. We only tortured him with the pirate hat one time. He was a sweet cat. :classic_smile: Thank you. I appreciate other pet owners who understand. 

I am so sorry for your loss.  Our daughter's 16 year old dog "Scoutie" had to be put to sleep last year.  It was awful around here.  11 year old Ryan was inconsolable.  Just remembering that day as I'm writing this makes me so sad.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, singinalot said:

we dropped our bags in our room and drove across the bridge to Anna Maria Island.

IMG_5120.MOV 105.45 MB · 5 downloads

The weather was so perfect! Guess what I was able to do…bet you’ll never guess 🤣

46B7D900-7ACD-4BFB-BD9D-A6762176DCAD.jpeg

6BCF1CEA-BE0F-4D5B-9322-CD38D4552188.jpeg

C7AB259D-906F-4931-AA94-8485A4D55CF9.jpeg

D543FF43-D4FC-4047-AC89-BA84BC16E14C.jpeg

IMG_5182.MOV

FAD1D292-0CD5-49FF-B973-A9D6BD1EF538.jpeg

4FC2D26A-8BAD-4CAE-A53C-BC0638FA4FA6.jpeg

Wow Crystal!  Your pictures are amazingly beautiful!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lionesss said:

At least the rest of our garden is doing well.  No deer, ground hogs or rabbits in so far

I think I finally got rid of our groundhogs🤞 I kept filling in the holes under our shed;  they kept digging

over and over again.  I tried dog hair, mint leaves, garlic....I finally filled the holes and then put two brick deep completely around the shed.  

• Like 3