Now for something completely different

I did Leigh but the ones we liked were prepaid. We will look again, we have booked 6 places in 2 days and Lynn is overloaded everything is looking the same. A break is needed, but please do continue to make suggestions everyone your input is appreciated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I did Leigh but the ones we liked were prepaid. We will look again, we have booked 6 places in 2 days and Lynn is overloaded everything is looking the same. A break is needed, but please do continue to make suggestions everyone your input is appreciated.

Lyle ,my daughter has to go into the office in Sydney tomorrow and we will probably have brunch at the fish markets or Chinatown.

Do you want me to check out Meriton Kent street... . ??

There’s a Couple of pubs there,I now them well

Sir John young,3 wise monkey.
I can get some action shots.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, possum52 said:

The accommodation you have booked at Princetown sounds great Lyle. Close to the 12 Apostles too. 

Leigh

I thought there were only 9 Leigh? But yes, a nice days drive.

Edited by NSWP

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Lyle ,my daughter has to go into the office in Sydney tomorrow and we will probably have brunch at the fish markets or Chinatown.

Do you want me to check out Meriton Kent street... . ??

There’s a Couple of pubs there,I now them well

Sir John young,3 wise monkey.
I can get some action shots.

Thanks Chili if it's not an inconvenience that would be great.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, lyndarra said:

How are the Vancouver Canuks doing Lyle? I hear they have the nasty P1 variant.

I'm not much of a Hockey guy Lyndon so I just heard about it on the morning news. The report says more than half the team have tested positive, including the number one goalie and the team Captain...yikes. It is the P1 variant out of Brazil.

Edited by Blackduck59
typo

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm not much of a Hockey guy Lyndon so I just heard about it on the morning news. The report says more than half the team have tested positive, including the number one goalie and the team Captain...yikes. It is the P1 variant out of Brazil.

Just heard almost 4000 a day are dying in Brazil of P1 variant.

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Just heard almost 4000 a day are dying in Brazil of P1 variant.

They are also dying because their health system is overwhelmed. They really have the worst possible leader you could have in a pandemic😔

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

They are also dying because their health system is overwhelmed. They really have the worst possible leader you could have in a pandemic😔

Maybe getting tutored by a certain 🤡

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Maybe getting tutored by a certain 

I honestly think he is worst than the 🤡. At least the 🤡 redeemed himself somewhat by signing in Operation Warp Speed (and staying out of it😂)  while the is still complaining about states locking down🙄

13 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Chili if it's not an inconvenience that would be great.

So Lyle I checked out the Meriton Kent street.

I’m of mixed emotions.

As I said its central, it has two light rail (Street cars )stops both are 5 minutes walk along George street and townhall  rail station is one.
‘We walked from darling harbour to the hotel,it was only a 5 or 10 minute walk ,quite easy.

The couple of things me and my friends didn’t really like was the area around the hotel may not appeal as a tourist area.

Not that it isn’t  safe as all of sydney is safe but it’s a business district and there is a lot of hustle and bustle.

Before I say the next part ,my wife is Asian and I have lots of Asian friends.

So if you like Asian food you will love the area but you will find it like downtown Tokyo or Shanghai.
The hotel complex has a shopping centre which consists of Asian shops and a Asian food hall.

Theres sydney RSL right there with a dumpling house and a Asian restaurant.

I don’t know what you’re intentions are while in Sydney and how long you plan to be here but a serviced apartment is a good move.

More space,kitchen,washing machine .

So the verdict.

Its OK ,the hotel has a nice foyer ,it’s central but the area doesn’t have that charm.
I hope that helps Lyle.

But it's a good option if you don't want to pay the high prices around Circular Quay.

In Melbourne we stayed at the Oaks on Lonsdale apartments which is at the top (Parliament) end of Lonsdale St. In many ways a similar vibe to that Meriton part of Sydney - office buildings and lots of Asian eateries nearby. We really liked the location as both the tram stop (free zone) and a Parliament Station entrance were just half a block away. After many years of staying all around Melbourne it was probably the best apartment location we've stayed in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Chili, we arrive in the morning on the 28th and leave the morning of the 31st. I like Asian food and we have been known to visit Asian markets. We don't have set plans although only an idiot goes all the way to Sydney and doesn't go to the opera house. We are also interested in a zoo but aren't sure which one. I am interested in a maritime museum and I think we would both like to go to an aquarium.

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

But it's a good option if you don't want to pay the high prices around Circular Quay.

In Melbourne we stayed at the Oaks on Lonsdale apartments which is at the top (Parliament) end of Lonsdale St. In many ways a similar vibe to that Meriton part of Sydney - office buildings and lots of Asian eateries nearby. We really liked the location as both the tram stop (free zone) and a Parliament Station entrance were just half a block away. After many years of staying all around Melbourne it was probably the best apartment location we've stayed in. 

I agree Julie, the Kent Street location is fine as is the Meriton in Campbell Street which has the Capitol Theatre  complex opposite where there is (or was) a Harry's Cafe de Wheels. There is a Starbucks across the road, quite a few Asian restaurants, Chinatown and Paddy's market around the corner. Central Station is a few minutes walk away and George St with it tramline (lightrail) is a couple of minutes walk.

I'm glad the Oaks on Lonsdale worked well for you. We drove up Lonsdale Street on Saturday evening but not as far as the Oaks on Lonsdale. We turned down Exhibition to get to the Monash Freeway. It was so busy in the CBD.

Leigh

22 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Chili, we arrive in the morning on the 28th and leave the morning of the 31st. I like Asian food and we have been known to visit Asian markets. We don't have set plans although only an idiot goes all the way to Sydney and doesn't go to the opera house. We are also interested in a zoo but aren't sure which one. I am interested in a maritime museum and I think we would both like to go to an aquarium.

Well you have maritime museum and aquarium at darling harbour. Taronga zoo is a ferry ride from circular quay. I have stayed at a few meritons but not kent st one.

Edited by NSWP

27 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That’s good Lyle,

As I said it’s central with good transport and you are anywhere in Sydney in no time flat.

We had a bit of a look at the RSL.

RSL  foundation ,for the veteran’s of war a Australian institution.

They have some good deals 

Edited by Chiliburn

Lyle, we have been to the Maritime Museum and we both enjoyed it. As Les said, the Sea Life Aquarium is in Darling Harbour too, opposite the museum. There is also a Sea Life Aquarium in Mlebourne, less than a kilometre from where you are staying - probably 10-12 minutes walk.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think we would both like to go to an aquarium.

Last month I got free tickets to Sea Life Sydney in Darling Harbour haven't been in decades and I have to say they have done a fantastic job. It was so much better than I remembered. The artificial reef they have created is just stunning. I would very much recommend it. 

If you are looking for zoos the two main ones are Taronga and Wildlife World. Taronga has many animals from around the world while Wildlife World only contains Australian animals. Haven't been to Taronga for a long time so not sure what it is like these days, Wildlife World I visited about two years ago and I found it very enjoyable. In Western Sydney you also have Featherdale Wildlife park which is another Australian animal zoo and South Sydney is Symbio Zoo which is famous for its small primates. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

That’s good Lyle,

As I said it’s central with good transport and you are anywhere in Sydney in no time flat.

We had a bit of a look at the RSL.

RSL  foundation ,for the veteran’s of war a Australian institution.

They have some good deals 

City of Sydney Rissole has always been a decent club, been there several times over the decades, good watering hole.👮‍♂️back then.

NSW Bowls Club, called something else now, also a good club. As is City Tattersalls.  You don't have to pay $50 a plate at a flash Sydney eatery, you can get a good evening meal for half that at a club, or pub even. Clubs have the best grog prices too.🍷

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

I haven't had a chance yet Chili but I will. I know Lynn saw the pictures of the Fullerton and that was all well and nice until we saw the price. I guessing by the picture that the same sticker shock may play out here.

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I haven't had a chance yet Chili but I will. I know Lynn saw the pictures of the Fullerton and that was all well and nice until we saw the price. I guessing by the picture that the same sticker shock may play out here.

Have a look,as someone on TripAdvisor said until you stay here you will never know.

Walk out the door or even the hotel is the main tourist attraction in Sydney and from $150 a night for 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1