Now for something completely different

@NSWP@GUT2407

A bit of guidance please.

In the rocks there’s a bar called the PUSH bar .Its in the Russell hotel and the Fortune of war.

For years I’ve wondered why it’s called the PUSH bar??

From what I understand it’s named after a sydney gangster gang?
Can you shed any light for me?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocks_Push

According to the Push Bar website it has a double history:

The name “The Push” is synonymous with a Blues & Jazz Club that operated in The Rocks in the 1970’s, known as “The Rocks Push” – owned by Bruce Viles. Its demise occurred in the early 80’s when the building in which it operated was demolished and Bruce opened The Basement in Circular Quay instead.

The Rocks Push was associated with Jazz promoter Horst Liepolt and regularly featured Galapagos Duck and others, delivering a repertoire of swing, mainstream Blues, Jazz and Latin Jazz.

The origins behind the name go back to the early 1800’s when a group of larrikins formed a gang called “The Rocks Push” which terrorised the area and sailors frequenting The Rocks.

More details on “The Rocks Push” can be found here.

26 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think it go’s back  in history a bit more that a band and a fire exit.  
‘Just  wondering where the name push comes from.

I just thought our resident legal eagles may know.

Concise Oxford Dictionary.

push 5. (sl., esp. Austral.) gang of thieves ruffians, etc.

Talking about tours - something different -  did you see on Sunrise Ch7 this morning. Mr Chimu is doing charters on a Qantas Dreamliner to see the Southern Lights, from Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne.  Does not really appeal to me. Prices from around $1200 in economy to $6500 in business.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Talking about tours - something different -  did you see on Sunrise Ch7 this morning. Mr Chimu is doing charters on a Qantas Dreamliner to see the Southern Lights, from Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne.  Does not really appeal to me. Prices from around $1200 in economy to $6500 in business.

Yes, saw that. Cheaper than going to arctic

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

That would be cool but I'm a little miffed with Air New Zealand they kept $600.00 of my money from a flight they cancelled 😒

Are you still house hunting Lyle.

Someone told me about this place. I haven’t been there but my friend said it’s great,5 Star for $250 a night.

https://www.harbourrocks.com.au

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Are you still house hunting Lyle.

Someone told me about this place. I haven’t been there but my friend said it’s great,5 Star for $250 a night.

https://www.harbourrocks.com.au

Thanks Chili, we have all the accommodation booked, we just need to sort the car hire. I will of course be asking for some local knowledge about what is around the random places we decided to stay. We will also be going through the cruise itinerary port by port for input on what to do, depending on what we are allowed to do from the cruise.

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Chili, we have all the accommodation booked, we just need to sort the car hire. I will of course be asking for some local knowledge about what is around the random places we decided to stay. We will also be going through the cruise itinerary port by port for input on what to do, depending on what we are allowed to do from the cruise.

With the car ,there’s a few toll roads in Sydney and Melbourne you may have to plan for.

You would have to work something out with the hire company or plan your route.

In sydney , if you are heading to Canberra you would only have the M5 toll .
It’s hasn’t got any cash booths but I think you can ring a number and pay over the phone.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

With the car ,there’s a few toll roads in Sydney and Melbourne you may have to plan for.

It’s hasn’t got any cash booths but I think you can ring a number and pay over the phone.

Hire car  company will automatically charge it for you at the return end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

There are limited tolls in Melbourne, but some important roads.

Depending on when you are travelling, there are various passes available (24 hour, weekend, etc).  Otherwise can pay online up to 72 hours after travel. Save rental admin charges.

As an aside, there is 1 company I will never use. They sound like a continent.

9 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Depending on when you are travelling, there are various passes available (24 hour, weekend, etc).  Otherwise can pay online up to 72 hours after travel. Save rental admin charges.

I've used that one many times without a problem, here and OS.

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I don't go to Sydney very often now, maybe thrice a year to see my son and his family in Riverview - Lane Cove. When I do, I go onto RMS site and get the Emu pass for a few days. My toll bill there and back for using M7 and M2 or M5/Tunnel is around $30 total. Not bad, so easy, great toll roads.

Edited by NSWP