Now for something completely different

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have been looking forward to this adventure for a long time, I'm trying to get Lynn excited about New Zealand. She is a little hesitant about the 14 day duration of the cruise. I think part of the reluctance is the possibility that this trip will also be cancelled. 

I can understand Lynn's concern that your trip will also be cancelled.  However, if your cruise is a goer, 14 days won't seem long enough.  NZ is a wonderful country to cruise around, as it is really beautiful.  Plus people speak English, so you can independently explore ports, if you wish.  In the meantime, you are excited enough for the two of you!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

However, if your cruise is a goer, 14 days won't seem long enough.  NZ is a wonderful country to cruise around, as it is really beautiful.  Plus people speak English, so you can independently explore ports, if you wish.  In the meantime, you are excited enough for the two of you!

Agree that 14 days won't seem long enough & it is really beautiful. And they do speak English, well something like English 🙂 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, mr walker said:

Agree that 14 days won't seem long enough & it is really beautiful. And they do speak English, well something like English 🙂 

Nu Zilandish, like, Lemb, Bro, Deery, Sux🤭Pitrol.

I think Lyle and Lynn might need an interpreter in Auckland, 😆

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, NSWP said:

Nu Zilandish, like, Lemb, Bro, Deery, Sux🤭Pitrol.

I think Lyle and Lynn might need an interpreter in Auckland, 😆

We have been watching Brokenwood in an effort to pick up the lingo.

I'm told they speak English in Newfoundland as well, I haven't been there yet but I have met many Newfoundlanders and I'm not sure whether they speak "English". I was on staff as an instructor at a Sea Cadet Training center some years ago and we had quite a few "Newfies" on staff that summer. One day in the accommodation block I spent almost an hour listening to 2 guys from opposite side of "The Rock" slagging each other about how the couldn't talk...I was priceless, lots of laughs.

12 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm told they speak English in Newfoundland as well, I haven't been there yet but I have met many Newfoundlanders and I'm not sure whether they speak "English". I was on staff as an instructor at a Sea Cadet Training center some years ago and we had quite a few "Newfies" on staff that summer. One day in the accommodation block I spent almost an hour listening to 2 guys from opposite side of "The Rock" slagging each other about how the couldn't talk...I was priceless, lots of laughs.

With Brokenwood, not all the characters' Kiwi accents are strong.  Detective Krisitin Sims to me has the most prominent accent and of course her boyfriend Kahu. We have a NZ friend who has lived here for close to 40 years and he still has a very strong Kiwi accent, much stronger than those on Brokenwood. I don't think the characters use too much specifically NZ lingo. Side story Lyle - the actress who plays Kristin Sims, Fern Sutherland went to Canada to live at the end of 2018 for 12 months or so.  

Talking of Newfoundland, I read recently that quite a few fishing families from Somerset and other coastal parts of the west of England and also Ireland migrated to Newfoundland during the 1800s. As they have quite broad accents, that may have contributed to Newfoundland English.

Leigh

48 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lyle, Parlevous Francais?

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Lyle, Parlevous Francais?

Not so much Uncle Les, I do pretty good with Canadian English eh, and American English y'all, I have an honorary certificate for Newfoundland although I have never been there. I taking lessons in Australian but suspect I will still be confused by the time I get there and I have true concerns about New Zealand considering so many Ozzies seem to have difficulty with that😁

30 minutes ago, possum52 said:

With Brokenwood, not all the characters' Kiwi accents are strong.  Detective Krisitin Sims to me has the most prominent accent and of course her boyfriend Kahu. We have a NZ friend who has lived here for close to 40 years and he still has a very strong Kiwi accent, much stronger than those on Brokenwood. I don't think the characters use too much specifically NZ lingo. Side story Lyle - the actress who plays Kristin Sims, Fern Sutherland went to Canada to live at the end of 2018 for 12 months or so.  

Talking of Newfoundland, I read recently that quite a few fishing families from Somerset and other coastal parts of the west of England and also Ireland migrated to Newfoundland during the 1800s. As they have quite broad accents, that may have contributed to Newfoundland English.

Leigh

I did know Fern Sutherland was here, frankly I thought she still was except to go back to work. She took a break from acting and apparently was working at a shoe store in Whistler. I wonder if she went home as soon as the Covid situation started, way safer in New Zealand than here (especially Whistler).

50 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I did know Fern Sutherland was here, frankly I thought she still was except to go back to work. She took a break from acting and apparently was working at a shoe store in Whistler. I wonder if she went home as soon as the Covid situation started, way safer in New Zealand than here (especially Whistler).

I'm not sure Lyle. I assumed she was home to film series 7 which finished in late January 2021. 

Leigh

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Not so much Uncle Les, I do pretty good with Canadian English eh, and American English y'all, I have an honorary certificate for Newfoundland although I have never been there. I taking lessons in Australian but suspect I will still be confused by the time I get there and I have true concerns about New Zealand considering so many Ozzies seem to have difficulty with that😁

How did you earn your honorary certificate in Newfoundland English?  Come From Away is currently showing in Brisbane.  Sydney next.  I saw it in Melbourne.  

I love Newfoundland.  We drove across the island, with lots of detours.  Highlight was an iceberg breaking up on a beach.  

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

How did you earn your honorary certificate in Newfoundland English?  Come From Away is currently showing in Brisbane.  Sydney next.  I saw it in Melbourne.  

I love Newfoundland.  We drove across the island, with lots of detours.  Highlight was an iceberg breaking up on a beach.  

I assume you have heard the term being "Screeched In". It all goes back to sea cadet summer training center named HMCS Quadra located in Comox BC (on Vancouver Island about a 2 1/2 hour drive from my home. This is a "National" training center so there was a rather large contingent of Newfoundlanders for a few years, during the summer training cycle there was a joint social event between the serving Wardroom and the Alumni Association these happened to fall on "Newfie night" and along with selected serving officers one "Alumni" joined the "Screech in" I was duly screeched in and have a lovely certificate to that fact, some day I will make it to Newfoundland, perhaps when we do our East Coast Canada cruise we can visit the rock.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I don't think you should take any of that nonsense too seriously.  If you have any concerns, just google the NZ PM at once of her many press conferences and I think you'll find her easy to understand.  She has a standard NZ accent.  For fun, you can google the Aus PM as well.  By the way, I think the Canadian accent is charming.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I'm not sure Lyle. I assumed she was home to film series 7 which finished in late January 2021. 

Leigh

We are watching episodes from season 6 now. We like the show, I read a couple of interviews with her while she was here but hadn't heard much for a while, she had some health issues that seemed rather unpleasant. I hope she is well now.

6 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I don't think you should take any of that nonsense too seriously.  If you have any concerns, just google the NZ PM at once of her many press conferences and I think you'll find her easy to understand.  She has a standard NZ accent.  For fun, you can google the Aus PM as well.  By the way, I think the Canadian accent is charming.

This has all been in jest for me, I worked for years with a Kiwi and there are 2 Australians in the shop where I work. I have more trouble understanding Newfaneeze. And of course Canadians don't have an accent😁😇

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

This has all been in jest for me, I worked for years with a Kiwi and there are 2 Australians in the shop where I work. I have more trouble understanding Newfaneeze. And of course Canadians don't have an accent😁😇

I listened to an interesting podcast on Gander airport.  That it was built when air travel was about hops, skips and jumps.  Then, the important part it played post 9/11, providing refuge for stranded planes and passengers.  Very interesting.  (Regarding Newfoundland I mean, I just realised that was a bit of a leap)

Edited by onlyslightlymad

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I assume you have heard the term being "Screeched In". It all goes back to sea cadet summer training center named HMCS Quadra located in Comox BC (on Vancouver Island about a 2 1/2 hour drive from my home. This is a "National" training center so there was a rather large contingent of Newfoundlanders for a few years, during the summer training cycle there was a joint social event between the serving Wardroom and the Alumni Association these happened to fall on "Newfie night" and along with selected serving officers one "Alumni" joined the "Screech in" I was duly screeched in and have a lovely certificate to that fact, some day I will make it to Newfoundland, perhaps when we do our East Coast Canada cruise we can visit the rock.

Yes I have heard the term screeched in.

2 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I listened to an interesting podcast on Gander airport.  That it was built when air travel was about hops, skips and jumps.  Then, the important part it played post 9/11, providing refuge for stranded planes and passengers.  Very interesting.

I guess you know Come From Away musical is based on part Gander Airport played after 9/11.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I listened to an interesting podcast on Gander airport.  That it was built when air travel was about hops, skips and jumps.  Then, the important part it played post 9/11, providing refuge for stranded planes and passengers.  Very interesting.  (Regarding Newfoundland I mean, I just realised that was a bit of a leap)

The "Down Homers" are famous for there friendliness and willingness to help.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We just like to rev up the Kiwis Lyle, friendly banter if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

Hey any of the Princess group who may know, there is a question on the "Canadian" board about adapter for the European plug on Sky Princess. If anyone can help maybe drop a line in that thread, there has been no response so far. I'm afraid it seems a little dead on that board, I hope it picks up soon right now it is more deserted that main street in Tuktoyaktuk in December.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:24 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Okay, although the current state of cruising is up in the air; I would like to move forward.

I'm looking for local knowledge on the land down under.

I don't want to get specific in the "topic" but will throw out questions within the thread. Also I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about Canada. Keep in mind that like Australia Canada is a vast country and I probably don't know your buddy Bruce in Moose Jaw. But I do have pretty good knowledge of my home Province of BC.

I look forward to gaining local knowledge from you and passing on local knowledge of my part of the world.

First stop Auckland we have 2 days before the cruise what is not to be missed in Auckland?

Following,  I have the same questions.  Feb 21, 2022 NCL Spirit sailing. 

1 minute ago, RentSunnyFlorida.com said:

Following,  I have the same questions.  Feb 21, 2022 NCL Spirit sailing. 

Hey welcome to my little thread. If you read through you will find lots of information but this thread rambles all over the place and has been going for over a year.

You will find lots of people willing to help. 

Your cruise is a similar time line to ours but our is in Celebrity Eclipse and is from Auckland to Sydney. Pretty soon I will be asking the same "what should I do in xxx port" that I asked for the original cruise which this thread was started for (that was supposed to be January and February 2021of course we cancelled that) and will get some great suggestions from some great folks. I also have a 17 days on land in Oz after the cruise.

Please follow along but be aware this thread wanders kinda like the conversation in the pub.

Cheers, Lyle🍺

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hey any of the Princess group who may know, there is a question on the "Canadian" board about adapter for the European plug on Sky Princess. If anyone can help maybe drop a line in that thread, there has been no response so far. I'm afraid it seems a little dead on that board, I hope it picks up soon right now it is more deserted that main street in Tuktoyaktuk in December.

Or Dog River, Saskatchewan?😄