Now for something completely different

For all the Celebrity Solstice fans out there she should be coming alongside here in Victoria within the hour. It's a nice sunny day but a few showers to keep the our visitors guessing 😉. It is after all the wet coast.

I was going to post in the "where are the ships" thread but it seems to be gone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

For all the Celebrity Solstice fans out there she should be coming alongside here in Victoria within the hour. It's a nice sunny day but a few showers to keep the our visitors guessing 😉. It is after all the wet coast.

I was going to post in the "where are the ships" thread but it seems to be gone.

Nice ship that one Lyle, we Did Sydneyto NZ and back on her about 8 years ago with a couple of neighbours. Nice bathrooms, no shower curtains to strangle you, fully enclosed cubicles.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Nice ship that one Lyle, we Did Sydneyto NZ and back on her about 8 years ago with a couple of neighbours. Nice bathrooms, no shower curtains to strangle you, fully enclosed cubicles.

I haven't been on Solstice but her sister Eclipse, they are beautiful. Just plane nice looking ships, we watched her approach while we ate take out burgers, we were parked at Esquimalt Lagoon which had a lovely view today. I didn't have the good camera so I couldn't get a good photo. I don't like the new Edge class, they are ugly in my view. Of course now that we are looking to finally do our down under adventure in 2024, Celebrity puts the Edge on that route. I guess we'll have to find a different line.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

what is roulade?  Looks hearty.

Meat sliced very thin and rolled with (usually) chopped onion, herbs and maybe bacon inside before slow cooking. It is delicious. My German-born mother-in-law made it and it was delicious.

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

what is roulade?  Looks hearty.

I'm not sure what cut of beef it is but it is sliced very thinly and you pound it out more. Then you spread it with mustard (I use a German brand but dijon would work) then add sliced pickles, onions and a strip of bacon on one end. Roll it up, secure it with a toothpick and set aside while you complete as many as you are going to make. Brown them off in a pan, add beef stock and simmer until the meat is tender. Remove the rouladin and thicken the simmering liquid into a gravy. Serve with you favourite vegetable and mashed potatoes like I did or you could do something with a more German flair perhaps serve it with sauerkraut or red cabbage and spaetzle.

• Like 1

Roulade is a term for any thinly cut meat rolled around a filling. Chicken roulade is often seen on MasterChef. I made one once, very nice but very fiddly as it was also wrapped in the chicken skin which was then crisped during the last stage of the cooking process.

In Italian it is rotolo. My butcher sells veal rotolo. I think the stuffing has parmesan in it, and tomato paste, plus other stuff. 

I think, but aren't sure, that the dish known as beef olives is also a type of roulade.

Now here is something really different. We've just had lunch at one of our favourite Asian restaurants, Din Tai Fung, which is famous worldwide for their soup dumplings (xiao long bao). They cook to order and the dishes are delivered as they are ready. They have just started using robots to deliver the various dishes which probably helps with the current staff shortages here in Sydney. There are regular servers as well but the robots mean the servers aren't running to and from the kitchen. 16544878246701999789057057777042.thumb.jpg.0e8c9286d0db4ebbcce94bf17998469c.jpg20220606_134954.thumb.jpg.aec55fd2b595f77806f9cd70201d0e2f.jpg20220606_134956.thumb.jpg.2799540506e402448630dccec26c9409.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Roulade is a term for any thinly cut meat rolled around a filling. Chicken roulade is often seen on MasterChef. I made one once, very nice but very fiddly as it was also wrapped in the chicken skin which was then crisped during the last stage of the cooking process.

In Italian it is rotolo. My butcher sells veal rotolo. I think the stuffing has parmesan in it, and tomato paste, plus other stuff. 

I think, but aren't sure, that the dish known as beef olives is also a type of roulade.

Correct on all counts 🌟.  Rotolo of veal (vitello) is referred to colloquially as "uccelli scappati", which translates as "runaway birds".  No idea why the rolled and secured veal packets are called that, maybe the finished parcels with their fastenings resemble birds in flight.  Chalk up another "lost in translation".  The traditional recipe I have for this exquisite dish is similar to saltimbocca:  prosciutto, mozzarella cheese and a sage leaf rolled in flattened veal, and secured with toothpicks.  My husband hails from Friuli, above Venice and close to the Austrian border, and quite often the recipes from there differ from similar dishes further south, but I seem to remember enjoying the same recipe in Toscana once. 

Anyway, back to topic:  We enjoyed chunky beef pies from Garran Bakery today.

2 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Correct on all counts 🌟.  Rotolo of veal (vitello) is referred to colloquially as "uccelli scappati", which translates as "runaway birds".  No idea why the rolled and secured veal packets are called that, maybe the finished parcels with their fastenings resemble birds in flight.  Chalk up another "lost in translation".  The traditional recipe I have for this exquisite dish is similar to saltimbocca:  prosciutto, mozzarella cheese and a sage leaf rolled in flattened veal, and secured with toothpicks.  My husband hails from Friuli, above Venice and close to the Austrian border, and quite often the recipes from there differ from similar dishes further south, but I seem to remember enjoying the same recipe in Toscana once. 

Sorry, folks, having a senior moment obviously.  I was previously posting on "Meat Pies", a thread where we also discuss food.  Obviously, that's not the main topic on this thread🤦‍♀️

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Now here is something really different. We've just had lunch at one of our favourite Asian restaurants, Din Tai Fung, which is famous worldwide for their soup dumplings (xiao long bao). They cook to order and the dishes are delivered as they are ready. They have just started using robots to deliver the various dishes which probably helps with the current staff shortages here in Sydney. There are regular servers as well but the robots mean the servers aren't running to and from the kitchen. 16544878246701999789057057777042.thumb.jpg.0e8c9286d0db4ebbcce94bf17998469c.jpg20220606_134954.thumb.jpg.aec55fd2b595f77806f9cd70201d0e2f.jpg20220606_134956.thumb.jpg.2799540506e402448630dccec26c9409.jpg

Now that really is something different!

37 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Sorry, folks, having a senior moment obviously.  I was previously posting on "Meat Pies", a thread where we also discuss food.  Obviously, that's not the main topic on this thread🤦‍♀️

That's okay there is no "topic" there never was. I created this just to shoot the breeze with new Australian friends as I tried to navigate things a Canadian should know when visiting Australia. That was 2 years ago, now it looks like it will be another 2 years before we finally make it down under after 2 cancelled attempts.

50 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

There is no main topic on this thread.🤣🤣🤣

48 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Now that really is something different!

It works very well in that sort of restaurant where people tend to order lots of different dishes to share rather than separate courses. The robots played a happy little tune as they approached. They were very polite too, moving out of the way of any customers walking past. 

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Anyway, back to topic:  We enjoyed chunky beef pies from Garran Bakery today.

I like the sound of your Uccelli Scappati dish. Would you share the recipe?

I've had some very nice pinot grigios from Friuli.😊

I'd love to spend some more time exploring Italy, away from the big cities, but land travel gets so much harder as we get older. 😪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I like the sound of your Uccelli Scappati dish. Would you share the recipe?

I've had some very nice pinot grigios from Friuli.😊

I'd love to spend some more time exploring Italy, away from the big cities, but land travel gets so much harder as we get older. 😪

There are a number of local Italian Australians who run tours to out of the way small places in Italy.  I cut them out as I think that would be a perfect way to tour Italy with an Italian speaker.  However, it is still on my to do list.  

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 10:11 AM, Blackduck59 said:

My last Alaska cruise was on Solstice, finishing in Vancouver. Had the best Beef Wellington on last night dinner. Cruised on Solstice three times - love it.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

My last Alaska cruise was on Solstice, finishing in Vancouver. Had the best Beef Wellington on last night dinner. Cruised on Solstice three times - love it.

Vancouver is a wonderful port for seeing a variety of cruise ships.  I'm envious.  

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

That must have been an unusual itinerary Lyndon. Solstice has been home porting for the Alaska run out of Seattle, which puts her in Victoria about once a week. I don't think Vancouver is a regular stop for her. Eclipse is home ported in Vancouver and only drops in here a couple of times each cruise season. We usually see the Seattle based ships for the Alaska season. They need a "foreign" stop to comply with the PVSA. These stops are ridiculously short and I feel they really short change the Visitors to Victoria. There is plenty to fill a full day here and I can't figure out why they come in so late and leave early, no way it takes 6 hours to get to Seattle from Victoria even at 15 knots.