Now for something completely different

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Our beloved cat, Niki, passed away peacefully earlier this evening. He will be missed.😪😪😪

So sorry..all our fur babies are precious! Glad that Niki was home with his loving family.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

We have an amazing moon in the sky this week.  Thus one’s for you, Les.  My son took this photo of Casey’s Beach by moonlight on the weekend.

518A0DE4-D473-4C1E-9581-464053CB5027.jpeg

Thanks, Caseys is a my favourite beach down here.

• Like 1

I might head down to Eden in 3 weeks for a couple of Days, see Coral Princess come in and sail. Big day for the town, first ship for over two years.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

I might head down to Eden in 3 weeks for a couple of Days, see Coral Princess come in and sail. Big day for the town, first ship for over two years.

Should be a good day, anticipating your cruise to Eden.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NSWP said:

A great idea, Les, and a beautiful, scenic drive.  We must do the same one day;  we haven't been to Eden in a long time, not since cruise ships began sailing into its deep waters.  Eden's history, like its beauty, is enthralling.  Have you ever read Killers of Eden, about the orcas who worked in tandem with the Whalers of old?  I still have it stored away somewhere, I think.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

A great idea, Les, and a beautiful, scenic drive.  We must do the same one day;  we haven't been to Eden in a long time, not since cruise ships began sailing into its deep waters.  Eden's history, like its beauty, is enthralling.  Have you ever read Killers of Eden, about the orcas who worked in tandem with the Whalers of old?  I still have it stored away somewhere, I think.  

3 hrs from here to Eden, easy drive.  I go down to that area, Merimbula/Eden every couple of months for a few days, normally stay at Sapphire Waters Motor Inn, Merimbula. Not read the book, but I generally go to the Whale Museum and do the Whale Watch cruise from Eden if whale season.   I note the ships are charging around $80 to $100 for the whale watch cruise from Eden wharf. Last time I did it last October, I paid $50. Another example of the cruise lines making the big bucks.

th.jpg.864a422d288201e0701872d733d91ec2.jpg

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

3 hrs from here to Eden, easy drive.  I go down to that area, Merimbula/Eden every couple of months for a few days, normally stay at Sapphire Waters Motor Inn, Merimbula. Not read the book, but I generally go to the Whale Museum and do the Whale Watch cruise from Eden if whale season.   I note the ships are charging around $80 to $100 for the whale watch cruise from Eden wharf. Last time I did it last October, I paid $50. Another example of the cruise lines making the big bucks.

That’s an inexcusable increase.  It’s happening everywhere.  Hotels in the UK have more than doubled tariffs since we were last there just before Covid.  They don’t seem to realise that the  tourists they are milking to rectify the funds lost to the closures are the very people they’ll need to take their ventures forward, and most won’t be back.  Merimbula is also breathtakingly beautiful.  We’re from the Monaro originally, so Merimbula, Bermagui, Pambula, Narooma, Tuross were all summer destinations:  through Nimmitabel and down the Brown Mountain with its spectacular forests of stately tree ferns.  Enjoy your Eden adventure.  Have a pinot grigio for us.

Linda

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

That’s an inexcusable increase.  It’s happening everywhere.  Hotels in the UK have more than doubled tariffs since we were last there just before Covid.  They don’t seem to realise that the  tourists they are milking to rectify the funds lost to the closures are the very people they’ll need to take their ventures forward, and most won’t be back.  Merimbula is also breathtakingly beautiful.  We’re from the Monaro originally, so Merimbula, Bermagui, Pambula, Narooma, Tuross were all summer destinations:  through Nimmitabel and down the Brown Mountain with its spectacular forests of stately tree ferns.  Enjoy your Eden adventure.  Have a pinot grigio for us.

Linda

Living in Queensland, I have visited most beautiful places en route to Sydney.  However, I'd never visited coastal places south of Sydney until we made a special trip south of Sydney to the border.  Of course we fell in love with the whole region and stayed in Merimbula, Bermagui and Pambula etc. to Eden.  I think it is Canberra's secret!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Living in Queensland, I have visited most beautiful places en route to Sydney.  However, I'd never visited coastal places south of Sydney until we made a special trip south of Sydney to the border.  Of course we fell in love with the whole region and stayed in Merimbula, Bermagui and Pambula etc. to Eden.  I think it is Canberra's secret!

Shhhh🤣🙏🏻

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

I note the ships are charging around $80 to $100 for the whale watch cruise from Eden wharf. Last time I did it last October, I paid $50. Another example of the cruise lines making the big bucks.

I don't think $30pp for the cruiseline to organise the excursions and guarantee your money back if the cruiseline cannot deliver that excursion is too bad, they are doing all the work and taking all the risk.

20 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't think $30pp for the cruiseline to organise the excursions and guarantee your money back if the cruiseline cannot deliver that excursion is too bad, they are doing all the work and taking all the risk.

Oh, got it.  I misunderstood and thought Les meant the whale cruises had increased their price from $50.  $100 is still a 100% increase pp on prices of 8 months ago, and IMHO excessive. $30 pp is just acceptable, depending on how many in tour group.  They wouldn’t be paying $50 pp to the tour operators, either.

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Oh, got it.  I misunderstood and thought Les meant the whale cruises had increased their price from $50.  $100 is still a 100% increase pp on prices of 8 months ago, and IMHO excessive. $30 pp is just acceptable, depending on how many in tour group.  They wouldn’t be paying $50 pp to the tour operators, either.

In my experience, it is always less expensive to book direct.  You take the risk that it is a responsible company noted for getting its passengers back in time.  

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Exactly, the cruise line would be getting a better price than normal $50, particularly as it is off season and some days the whale watch boat does not run - insufficent bookings. It will be full when the cruise ships are in town.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NSWP said:

I'm wondering what to do when Westerdam calls in at Newcastle  on  January 4. Maybe a CC event at Harry's CDW?

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

While I am here, different subject, not seen Don 'We grow older slowly?' of G&T fame, in here for a couple of months, where is the lad? 

I was wondering the same Les. Hope all is well with him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I'm wondering what to do when Westerdam calls in at Newcastle  on  January 4. Maybe a CC event at Harry's CDW?

Hunter Valley wine tour, but like me you have probably been there done that. Yep, CC event at harrys.

11 hours ago, NSWP said:

While I am here, different subject, not seen Don 'We grow older slowly?' of G&T fame, in here for a couple of months, where is the lad? 

Hopefully this ping will reach him. If nothing else he will know we're thinking of him🤗:

@getting older slowly

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 2