Now for something completely different

So today we went for breakfast at Spitfire Grill, I was thinking about you Les as I tucked in to my B52 breakfast, washed down with tomato juice and Earl Grey tea. While we were out in that neighbourhood we went to the bakery, such an array of treats. I put together a care package for Lynn's mom who recently moved to assisted living after spending 4 years living with us. The "precautions" they are taking are beyond ridiculous. I told her to enjoy what she wanted and use the rest to bribe the guards.

I did get some treats for us though

Treats.thumb.jpg.ba970a4d29f6741aeeb328cceeb2f151.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So today we went for breakfast at Spitfire Grill, I was thinking about you Les as I tucked in to my B52 breakfast, washed down with tomato juice and Earl Grey tea. While we were out in that neighbourhood we went to the bakery, such an array of treats. I put together a care package for Lynn's mom who recently moved to assisted living after spending 4 years living with us. The "precautions" they are taking are beyond ridiculous. I told her to enjoy what she wanted and use the rest to bribe the guards.

I did get some treats for us though

Treats.thumb.jpg.ba970a4d29f6741aeeb328cceeb2f151.jpg

Very nice assortment there Lyle, I cannot look at them any longer.  I used to to eat cakes and pastries and doughnuts in vast quantities, before Coeliac hit me in 2010.😢

pavlova is definitely on my to do list when down under. Are they supposed to be hard? We bought some at the bakery in Coombs when we were on our road trip, they were hard and crunchy. They were very sweet, very light and I'm hoping it was just a poor execution of your national desert.

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

pavlova is definitely on my to do list when down under. Are they supposed to be hard? We bought some at the bakery in Coombs when we were on our road trip, they were hard and crunchy. They were very sweet, very light and I'm hoping it was just a poor execution of your national desert.

They should have a hard meringue crust on the outside and a soft marshmallowy inside. They should have lots of cream and lots of fresh fruit - berries, passionfruit, mango, kiwifruit all work well. It needs to be a balance between sweet, creamy, and tartness from the fruit.

I have never seen a proper pavlova outside of Australia or NZ. A meringue is not pavlova.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They should have a hard meringue crust on the outside and a soft marshmallowy inside. They should have lots of cream and lots of fresh fruit - berries, passionfruit, mango, kiwifruit all work well. It needs to be a balance between sweet, creamy, and tartness from the fruit.

I have never seen a proper pavlova outside of Australia or NZ. A meringue is not pavlova.

Correct, pretty right with the ingredients.  I have had deconstructed pavlova at a restaurant, I think it was just damaged and the chef gave it a name, edible but not pretty...em.jpg.7eb35ba137f2175a8997293142560795.jpg

Edited by NSWP

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Correct, pretty right with the ingredients.  I have had deconstructed pavlova at a restaurant, I think it was just damaged and the chef gave it a name, edible but not pretty...em.jpg.7eb35ba137f2175a8997293142560795.jpg

Would that have been the English dessert called "Eton Mess"? On our last couple of Princess cruises they have served Eton Mess. It might have been at the Pub Lunch.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Would that have been the English dessert called "Eton Mess"? On our last couple of Princess cruises they have served Eton Mess. It might have been at the Pub Lunch.

I could be the Eton Mess as served on Princess cruises, they have it in MDR too, but it could be a Deconstructed Pav as well, this could be a quiz.

Eton mess is made with meringue, not pavlova, ie no marshmallowy bits. But it does have lots of cream and fruit which balances out the meringue.

I always want to weep when I see those pathetic little meringues that cruise ships call pavlova. A tiny dab of cream and two tiny slivers of fruit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Eton mess is made with meringue, not pavlova, ie no marshmallowy bits. But it does have lots of cream and fruit which balances out the meringue.

I always want to weep when I see those pathetic little meringues that cruise ships call pavlova. A tiny dab of cream and two tiny slivers of fruit. 

This is what a pavlova (pav) should look like. 
image.jpeg.58f1941bf5884e942afcc1098abd3f6d.jpegLeigh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm the opposite. I find cheesecake too heavy and rich. 

I tend to have a small slice of cheesecake. I think it depends what type of cheesecake it is too. Cruise ship cheesecakes are rubbish usually except for the New York cheesecake I’ve had on Princess very occasionally. 

Leigh

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm the opposite. I find cheesecake too heavy and rich. 

I agree that baked cheesecakes are too heavy and rich. I make one that uses lemon jelly to set (refrigerate for 24 hours). It isn't heavy or too rich. It is absolutely yum..... In my opinion, it is much better than the NY cheesecake Princess serve, although their's is OK.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Pavlova cheesecake fruitcake Apple pie I will have them all preferably with a big scoop of ice cream on top. In winter Mrs Gut makes me self saucing lemon pudding, yes with Ice Cream.

I love them all except for cheesecake.  As a child we used to have a self saucing pudding but it wasn't lemon, caramel/butter scotch I think.  In US my favourite is Key Lime Pie and pecan pie.

Just now, MMDown Under said:

I love them all except for cheesecake.  As a child we used to have a self saucing pudding but it wasn't lemon, caramel/butter scotch I think.  In US my favourite is Key Lime Pie and pecan pie.

Yeah I have had the caramel and butterscotch too, just I am a bit of a lemon fan, in fact if I am a really good boy she even makes me lemon meringue pie from time to time, bet you can’t guess what I have with it.

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree that baked cheesecakes are too heavy and rich. I make one that uses lemon jelly to set (refrigerate for 24 hours). It isn't heavy or too rich. It is absolutely yum..... In my opinion, it is much better than the NY cheesecake Princess serve, although their's is OK.

A friend made one of those lemon-jelly-based cheesecakes once. It was divine. He gave me the recipe but it makes such a huge one I've never made it. 

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Good Key Lime Pie is divine. We spent a week in the Florida Keys once. I had Key Lime pie least once every day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah I have had the caramel and butterscotch too, just I am a bit of a lemon fan, in fact if I am a really good boy she even makes me lemon meringue pie from time to time, bet you can’t guess what I have with it.

I love lemon meringue pie.