Now for something completely different

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Good Key Lime Pie is divine. We spent a week in the Florida Keys once. I had Key Lime pie least once every day.

Good idea to make the most of your location.  Every cafe/diner had a glass case with enormous slices of pie from which to choose. 

I love tiramisu and variations on that theme. Some years ago I developed a Christmas tiramisu recipe which has all the flavours of Christmas pudding but is, of course, cold. 

I've also made a nice tropical variation with mango, passionfruit, and limoncello. Also a raspberry one. I never managed to get the Black Forest one right though, the chocolate screws up the texture of the marscapone cream.

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sounds delicious, but I've never tried it. 

When I was young, we had home made desert with every meal (and I was slim then).

So did we. If we have dessert now, other than on cruises, we usually have it for supper.

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

A friend made one of those lemon-jelly-based cheesecakes once. It was divine. He gave me the recipe but it makes such a huge one I've never made it. 

Mine isn't too big. I use a 9" spring-form cake tin. An 8" would work, but the slices would be very high. You might like to try mine.

Make a biscuit crumb base, bake for 10 minutes.

Filling - using electric mixer, mix 1 packet 8oz cream cheese, and one tin of condensed milk. Add half teaspoon vanilla essence.

Dissolve a packet of lemon jelly crystals in half a cup of boiling water. Add to cream cheese mixture while beating the cheese. Add the juice of one lemon. Beat well. Mixture should thicken. Pour into biscuit base, refrigerate 24 hours. Add fruit or topping (if desired) before serving.

Even after I have been making this cheesecake for several decades, it is still my kids' favourite dessert.🙂

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Mine isn't too big. I use a 9" spring-form cake tin. An 8" would work, but the slices would be very high. You might like to try mine.

Make a biscuit crumb base, bake for 10 minutes.

Filling - using electric mixer, mix 1 packet 8oz cream cheese, and one tin of condensed milk. Add half teaspoon vanilla essence.

Dissolve a packet of lemon jelly crystals in half a cup of boiling water. Add to cream cheese mixture while beating the cheese. Add the juice of one lemon. Beat well. Mixture should thicken. Pour into biscuit base, refrigerate 24 hours. Add fruit or topping (if desired) before serving.

Even after I have been making this cheesecake for several decades, it is still my kids' favourite dessert.🙂

I don’t even bake the biscuit base.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree that baked cheesecakes are too heavy and rich. I make one that uses lemon jelly to set (refrigerate for 24 hours). It isn't heavy or too rich. It is absolutely yum..... In my opinion, it is much better than the NY cheesecake Princess serve, although their's is OK.

I tend to make the lemon one too but do have a recipe for a chocolate one which I make for special occasions which is also a non-baked one.

Leigh

13 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I don’t even bake the biscuit base.

I don't either. Just crumb the biscuits and mix in the melted butter, press into container and refrigerate until firm.

My lemon cheesecake recipe uses gelatine, lemon juice, lemon rind and condensed milk as well as cream cheese of course. I have used ricotta instead of cream cheese but the cheese cake has a slightly different texture, not as smooth.

Leigh

All this talk of desserts........ excellent......

Bring back the memoirs of the tasting dessert plate in the crown grill.... so good

and those after dinner runs to the buffet to grab a couple of small desserts to take back to our cabin.........

we very rarely have dessert at home.... but cruising it a different thing.....lol

bon appetit Don

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

All this talk of desserts........ excellent......

Bring back the memoirs of the tasting dessert plate in the crown grill.... so good

and those after dinner runs to the buffet to grab a couple of small desserts to take back to our cabin.........

we very rarely have dessert at home.... but cruising it a different thing.....lol

bon appetit Don

Love Boat Dream in Princess mdr, my favourite. Come back new, come back fat, I do not care anymore.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Love Boat Dream in Princess mdr, my favourite. Come back new, come back fat, I do not care anymore.

One is never ""fat"( ban word ) one bring some home for later....

Also there could a food shortage at any time... one should be prepared...

Say goodnight Dick......   Don

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

One is never ""fat"( ban word ) one bring some home for later....

Also there could a food shortage at any time... one should be prepared...

Say goodnight Dick......   Don

Buenos Noches Senor.

• Thanks 1

The tomatoes are from BC, the Bocconcini is made on Vancouver Island (Courteney is about  200 km north of our home) the one I bought was cows milk but the same cheesery makes Buffalo milk cheese as well, the Sea Salt is from Bali and the Balsamic is a nice brand with a medium price. I finished it off with some nice Greek olive oil (sorry Les I ruined it for you)

Edited by Blackduck59

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The tomatoes are from BC, the Bocconcini is made on Vancouver Island (Courteney is about  200 km north of our home) the one I bought was cows milk but the same cheesery makes Buffalo milk cheese as well, the Sea Salt is from Bali and the Balsamic is a nice brand with a medium price. I finished it off with some nice Greek olive oil (sorry Les I ruined it for you)

When all this COVID-19 problem has gone away, can you come and cook at my house?