Now for something completely different

So a bit of an Aussie double header for supper Meat pie and Snags

smokie.thumb.jpg.de407b35e129ce91bbb0610b86e8f516.jpg

There is a very Canadian twist the pie was Tourtiere and the snag is a Venison smokie that one of my work mates had made from the deer ha got while hunting in September. Onions on top with red sauce on a slice of bread is definitely different for me, normally it would be on bun with green relish, mustard and raw onions although I do like sauteed onions.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I'd like tomato sauce with venison sausages. I'd rather have some red cabbage along with the onions. Then it wouldn't need sauce.

Lucky you getting venison sausages!

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I am I lucky fellow Julie, my friend from work enjoys hunting but his family are picky eaters. He gets much of his game meat made into various sausages and is quite happy to share. I would not normally put red sauce on any sausage but it seems a thing in Oz.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I would not normally put red sauce on any sausage but it seems a thing in Oz.

We do have kangaroo snags and I have found the red sauce to be quite nice on then. Though because it is acidic I do prefer it on sausages with higher fat content😉

Edited by ilikeanswers

21 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I am I lucky fellow Julie, my friend from work enjoys hunting but his family are picky eaters. He gets much of his game meat made into various sausages and is quite happy to share. I would not normally put red sauce on any sausage but it seems a thing in Oz.

I hadn't heard tomato sauce called red sauce before.  Ketchup in US.  I envy you eating home made sausages.  When we first visited Germany, I was surprised to see the meat display in butcher shops was 3/4 sausages.  Then I understood why early German settlers made their own sausages.  

The snags have ground pork added full on venison would be way too lean. Pretty much everyone I know that hunts add fat to it when making sausage. Pork seems to be the preferred addition but beef is also used because of dietary concerns.

One of the quick meals one does and damn good   particularly with s glass of red.

Beef Sausages... we general get the supermarket ones ( lean 3% fat ) in hog casing

very nice cook them in the oven with the chips ( sometimes mash potatoes )

and serve with Don's Tomato stuff 

( diced tomato and onion with garlic and herbs and glob of chilli sauce.... simmer in pan for 20 minutes )

But tonight dead chook....... Don

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Mrs Gut says snags spuds and mushy peas tonight, Gormay tucker that be.

I'd be happy with anything someone else cooked for me.  I have leftover crumbed whiting and scallops, as well as green prawns, which should be cooked.  I get carried away when I see quality seafood at a reasonable price!

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm trying the new Luv-a-Duck Duck a l'orange, just heat and eat, with rosemary potatoes and red cabbage.

It was OK. The duck was very tender and moist. The "sauce" was at least 50% fat which was very disappointing. Once that had been skimmed off there was barely enough to spoon over the duck, and it was very bland. If I try it again I might add some fresh orange juice to the sauce to liven it up. Still an easy and pleasant duck meal.

I nearly had a disaster on my hands. My oven's fan element decided to quit on me. I went to check the potatoes after 30 minutes and they were still raw. I switched to fan-assisted conventional, gave the spuds an extra 20 minutes then added the duck which takes 15 mins. It came out alright in the end but we ended up having dinner a bit later than intended.

We had a cheeky little pinot noir with the duck - Old Fat Unicorn - from Dan's. Cheap but cheerful.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was OK. The duck was very tender and moist. The "sauce" was at least 50% fat which was very disappointing. Once that had been skimmed off there was barely enough to spoon over the duck, and it was very bland. If I try it again I might add some fresh orange juice to the sauce to liven it up. Still an easy and pleasant duck meal.

I nearly had a disaster on my hands. My oven's fan element decided to quit on me. I went to check the potatoes after 30 minutes and they were still raw. I switched to fan-assisted conventional, gave the spuds an extra 20 minutes then added the duck which takes 15 mins. It came out alright in the end but we ended up having dinner a bit later than intended.

We had a cheeky little pinot noir with the duck - Old Fat Unicorn - from Dan's. Cheap but cheerful.

Old Fat Unicorn, $6 quaffer? 🍷 Not tried it, have look for next time I am at Uncle Dan's Pharmacy.   Where did you purchase the duck l'orange?

Edited by NSWP

20 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So a bit of an Aussie double header for supper Meat pie and Snags

smokie.thumb.jpg.de407b35e129ce91bbb0610b86e8f516.jpg

There is a very Canadian twist the pie was Tourtiere and the snag is a Venison smokie that one of my work mates had made from the deer ha got while hunting in September. Onions on top with red sauce on a slice of bread is definitely different for me, normally it would be on bun with green relish, mustard and raw onions although I do like sauteed onions.

Lyle when you say supper, you mean like..evening meal, dinner, tea? Like we have about 6.30pm or so?   With all due respect sir Lyle, your two course dinner shown is unusual to say the least, but if you enjoyed such a repast, well and good.

It that a Krispy Kreme drinking vessel on the table?  I would have thought you would have a Tim Hortons one in your collection.

Edited by NSWP

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Lyle when you say supper, you mean like..evening meal, dinner, tea? Like we have about 6.30pm or so?   With all due respect sir Lyle, your two course dinner shown is unusual to say the least, but if you enjoyed such a repast, well and good.

It that a Krispy Kreme drinking vessel on the table?  I would have thought you would have a Tim Hortons one in your collection.

Only a two course meal. When I was young and had no sense it was 7 course meals all the way, you know a pie and a six pack, sometimes repeated.

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Old Fat Unicorn, $6 quaffer? 🍷 Not tried it, have look for next time I am at Uncle Dan's Pharmacy.   Where did you purchase the duck l'orange?

It was a bit dearer than $6 but cheap for a pinot noir.

I got the duck at Coles. I think Woolworths also sells it.

• Like 1

Food is an interesting thing....  do you choose something for dinner.... because is it ?

Simple,,  easy cook.... cheap ( for a price )     something you enjoy.... it tastes nice.....

it the only thing you cook...... it is ready made.....goes in a microwave   

or its healthy

Also I know a few people who have their main meal at lunch....

To us dinner is had at dinner time and is the main meal.... to be enjoyed  a candle, serviettes, and generally a glass of wine..... but that is us.......    

And to some  Food is to eaten ( to refule )..... what is point of dinning...  taking time to saver the food....

Also some always have dessert,  whether ice cream or something fancy 

Just as well everybody is  different.....   Cheers Don

Edited by getting older slowly

50 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Food is an interesting thing....  do you choose something for dinner.... because is it ?

Simple,,  easy cook.... cheap ( for a price )     something you enjoy.... it tastes nice.....

it the only thing you cook...... it is ready made.....goes in a microwave   

or its healthy

Also I know a few people who have their main meal at lunch....

To us dinner is had at dinner time and is the main meal.... to be enjoyed  a candle, serviettes, and generally a glass of wine..... but that is us.......    

And to some  Food is to eaten ( to refule )..... what is point of dinning...  taking time to saver the food....

Also some always have dessert,  whether ice cream or something fancy 

Just as well everybody is  different.....   Cheers Don

That is how I was brought up.  The main meal being tea at night, because people worked during the day.  Except for Sunday dinner in the middle of the day.  Always home cooked main meal and desert.  We had a glass container for the butter, linen serviettes in serviette rings, etc.  For our cooked breakfast, we had a container ? for slices of toast to stand up in.  

Eating was a much more formal affair.  I buy what I like, and what is in season, when it is at a reasonable price.   

PS I finished the scallops for breakfast - such luxury!

9 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That is how I was brought up.  We had a glass container for the butter, linen serviettes in serviette rings, etc.   Eating was a much more formal affair.

Ahh those were the day... and jam was in a little bowl with a spoon.... along with a butter knife for the butter...... my mum who's 94 still has linen serviettes in serviette rings and a small vase with flowers on the kitchen table. and a linen place mat...    

I remember the toast stand and tea pot (  with hand knitted cosy ) and milk jug at my grand mother.... also the linen table cloth for breakfast

And one had to come to table properly dressed.....   the world has changed...

Is this where one says the good old days......lol

Cheers Don

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Only a two course meal. When I was young and had no sense it was 7 course meals all the way, you know a pie and a six pack, sometimes repeated.

And a sausage roll for starter mate...giant one for you.Balfours-Sausage-Roll_45577_web-768x512-c-center.png.11ede576f31e8da1d13d03ff9e260505.png

Edited by NSWP