Now for something completely different

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I agree, it's weird. But unless more threads get moved or go missing it's probably not worth worrying about. As long as they don't move the photo thread. I'd rather that one just stayed in our small group.

That has been the best thread Julie, fun to see even if frustrating (for this Duck) at times. 

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That has been the best thread Julie, fun to see even if frustrating (for this Duck) at times. 

Frustrating for most of us at times, I think. Some of the photos I just don't even have a clue where to start thinking about the location.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Frustrating for most of us at times, I think. Some of the photos I just don't even have a clue where to start thinking about the location.

Agree, that's why I held back my polar bear in snowstorm photo from Alaska.😉

Come to think of it, Lyle may have got that one.😁

Yes the Alaska brown bear often referred to as Kodiak bears are a sub species of Grizzly bears. Polar bears are a whole different critter and bigger.

There are some white bears called Kermode bears (sometimes called Spirit bears) in the "Great Bear Rainforest" but they are a sub-species of black bear and nowhere near the size of a polar bear.

25 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes the Alaska brown bear often referred to as Kodiak bears are a sub species of Grizzly bears. Polar bears are a whole different critter and bigger.

There are some white bears called Kermode bears (sometimes called Spirit bears) in the "Great Bear Rainforest" but they are a sub-species of black bear and nowhere near the size of a polar bear.

On our Alaska Inside Passage cruise in 2006, we did see a couple of brown bears at a distance, I needed my binoculars, very scarce critters.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:05 AM, LincolnLegend said:

I was so lucky, growing up in Port Lincoln and surrounds. We have a holiday shack about 60ks out at a place called Little Douglas and over the summer school holidays as children, my brother and I would snorkel in the lagoon with Hawaiian Slings and catch flounder. Mum would then cook them whole for us for breakfast, they don't come any fresher than that!

My favourite fish is King George whiting, I generally just dust with a mix of flour and Tandaco "lightly seasoned fish" coating and shallow fry.

If you ever do a cruise that stops in Port Lincoln, do yourself a favour and grab a taxi or HOHO bus to The Fresh Fish Place for a feed, it is amazing, fresh, local seafood.

Sounds a heavenly childhood.  What is a Hawaiian Sling?  I love King George Whiting also.  We ate fresh seafood most days when we stayed at a CWA cottage at Tumby Bay, near Port Lincoln.  Also superb seafood near Ceduna.   We took the scenic coastal and inland routes to Perth from Qld.  

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Interesting.  How does it work?  Reminds me how free children used to be!

You stretch the rubber grip whilst holding onto the spear to load and then release your hand holding the spear when you have your target insight.🙂

Edited by By The Bay

37 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

You stretch the rubber grip whilst holding onto the spear to load and then release your hand holding the spear when you have your target insight.🙂

Thanks.  Used whilst swimming under water?  We recently had a man who drowned spear fishing on a reef at the Gold Coast.  

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks.  Used whilst swimming under water?  We recently had a man who drowned spear fishing on a reef at the Gold Coast.  

Yes, when you are underwater. It was very sad when the Australian Olympian Alex “Chumpy” Pullin drowned. He was known to practice free diving for extended time underwater.

16 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Sounds a heavenly childhood.  What is a Hawaiian Sling?  I love King George Whiting also.  We ate fresh seafood most days when we stayed at a CWA cottage at Tumby Bay, near Port Lincoln.  Also superb seafood near Ceduna.   We took the scenic coastal and inland routes to Perth from Qld.  

It was, although we didn't truly appreciate it until we were adults. I've stayed at the Tumby Bay CWA cottage a few times when competing with the horses up there, always a good night! Qld to Perth via coastal and inland routes would have been an amazing trip! Yep, there was lots of freedom, the spear was nearly taller than me!

23 hours ago, By The Bay said:

image.jpeg.a3953f2907b96b8e7d60f060411113b4.jpegimage.jpeg.4b92139fddf420d4afcd33d8e3a91d26.jpeg

My sons had one of those, we called it a hand spear. They are effective but very limited in range. It's still in a corner of the laundry where they left it when they left home 20 years ago. The rubber may be a little perished.

9 hours ago, lyndarra said:

My sons had one of those, we called it a hand spear. They are effective but very limited in range. It's still in a corner of the laundry where they left it when they left home 20 years ago. The rubber may be a little perished.

Thanks for the laugh thinking of all the parents left with adult children's stuff where they left it!

11 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks for the laugh thinking of all the parents left with adult children's stuff where they left it!

During lockdown my husband has cleaned out the back bedroom. He found uni work belonging to both children which is over 20 years old. It has been thrown out.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

During lockdown my husband has cleaned out the back bedroom. He found uni work belonging to both children which is over 20 years old. It has been thrown out.

Leigh

I saved Uni books until I realised they would be of no value to anyone.  When my girlfriend's daughter wouldn't  take her "stuff", despite many reminders, my friend bundled it all up and took it to her daughter's new house and left it there!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

On the weekend I gave one of our sons a large box of his Uni books. They have been here more than 25 years. One more bit of 'junk' gone from our house.

• Like 1

I finally got that cheese plate, we went to a cheesery on our little road trip and bout some cheese, we also got some from the market where we got our picnic groceries. It was a nice array quite mild overall. We bought some raclette and what they called Monterey Jill and a lightly spiced version of that same cheese. We also got a small wheel of Brie but that didn't find it's way to the plate. We paired the cheese plate with a nice BC Wine, See Ya Later Ranch Pinot Gris.

So this didn't post a couple days ago

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I finally got that cheese plate, we went to a cheesery on our little road trip and bout some cheese, we also got some from the market where we got our picnic groceries. It was a nice array quite mild overall. We bought some raclette and what they called Monterey Jill and a lightly spiced version of that same cheese. We also got a small wheel of Brie but that didn't find it's way to the plate. We paired the cheese plate with a nice BC Wine, See Ya Later Ranch Pinot Gris.

So this didn't post a couple days ago

Good buying Lyle, glad you enjoyed the cheeses. When you get to OZ..try one of my favourites...CB.png.f3d9e1ced1a308cbfacd3c58b24613f8.png

Edited by NSWP