Now for something completely different

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

I used to always buy blue grenadier to cook to cook at home because it has a fairly mild taste and my children would eat it. They now prefer flake.  I tend to buy flathead tails even though they are quite expensive - $59 a kilo locally. But we only need a few tails for the two of us and with chips and salad/coleslaw it is quite sufficient.

Leigh

The better half has gone off flake.... but happy with the blue grenadier....

Cooking generally do salmon, in the oven, cut skin off to cook separately as the better half likes skin.. the salmon add pepper lemon zest and diced onions... it turns out well and quick and easily... no mess.....

Favorite is Tuna done in the griddle pan with olive oil and pepper ... mine rare and the better half''s  well done...

Tonight is cooked prawns  served cold with lemon and pepper serve with chips and salad..... cheers Don

• Like 1

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

I used to always buy blue grenadier to cook to cook at home because it has a fairly mild taste and my children would eat it. They now prefer flake.  I tend to buy flathead tails even though they are quite expensive - $59 a kilo locally. But we only need a few tails for the two of us and with chips and salad/coleslaw it is quite sufficient.

Leigh

Halibut is a premium fish here when in season fresh caught think in the $65.00 to $70.00 a Kilo. Salmon is about $30.00 to $40.00 per kilo depending on species.

When we have fish at home it's usually salmon that I cook in a pan with butter or plank it on cherry or alder wood. Sometimes we have seared tuna at home. I prefer halibut battered and deep fried (not something I do at home) I have pan cooked it at home though. 

5 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

The better half has gone off flake.... but happy with the blue grenadier....

Cooking generally do salmon, in the oven, cut skin off to cook separately as the better half likes skin.. the salmon add pepper lemon zest and diced onions... it turns out well and quick and easily... no mess.....

Favorite is Tuna done in the griddle pan with olive oil and pepper ... mine rare and the better half''s  well done...

Tonight is cooked prawns  served cold with lemon and pepper serve with chips and salad..... cheers Don

Don, for your salmon try doing it in a pan with butter. Start flesh side down and then flip and cook skin side down, the skin will crisp up nicely for your wife and it will release off your piece really easily but helps keep the flesh moist while cooking.

We have a "sear station" on our gas Barbeque that really does a lovely job on tuna. 

38 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Yes, flathead is expensive but I like the mild flavour. Some fish are too strong-flavoured for me, although it depends how where the piece comes from and how well it has been trimmed. Fish with a lot of blood staining taste really nasty to me.

When I cook flathead at home I do it in panko crumbs. 

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, flathead is expensive but I like the mild flavour. Some fish are too strong-flavoured for me, although it depends how where the piece comes from and how well it has been trimmed. Fish with a lot of blood staining taste really nasty to me.

When I cook flathead at home I do it in panko crumbs. 

I use panko crumbs sometimes, but lately have just been using egg and flour, seasoned with salt and pepper and shallow frying. 

Leigh

10 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I use panko crumbs sometimes, but lately have just been using egg and flour, seasoned with salt and pepper and shallow frying. 

Leigh

I shallow fry too, deep frying wastes too much oil. I like the crunch of panko crumbs. I also use them when I make croquettes. 

I have a really nice salad I make when I'm cooking fish at home. Just finely sliced fennel, cucumber, radish and celery with a lemon viniagrette. I had something similar at a restaurant once and loved it. It's very refreshing and tangy.

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I shallow fry too, deep frying wastes too much oil. I like the crunch of panko crumbs. I also use them when I make croquettes. 

I have a really nice salad I make when I'm cooking fish at home. Just finely sliced fennel, cucumber, radish and celery with a lemon viniagrette. I had something similar at a restaurant once and loved it. It's very refreshing and tangy.

I hate wasting the oil, I wouldn't know the last time I deepe fried. I like the golden colour of the cooked panko crumbs.

I don't particularly like the taste of fennel, but the other ingredients sound good together with the viniagrette. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

12 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I hate wasting the oil, I wouldn't know the last time I deepe fried. I like the golden colour of the cooked panko crumbs.

I don't particularly like the taste of fennel, but the other ingredients sound good together with the viniagrette. 

Leigh

If the fennel is very thinky sliced it doesn't taste strong. I use a mandolin on the thinnest setting to slice the fennel, radish and cucumber, but hand slice the celery on a diagonal. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Don, for your salmon try doing it in a pan with butter. Start flesh side down and then flip and cook skin side down, the skin will crisp up nicely for your wife and it will release off your piece really easily but helps keep the flesh moist while cooking.

We have a "sear station" on our gas Barbeque that really does a lovely job on tuna. 

Thanks for the tip Lyle....  originally did do the salmon in the pan and it did work well as you said....

But we live in an apartment and the exhaust fan is in the window and not that good... which meant the smell of cooked salmon would smell the apartment out .... lol

So thus the idea of doing it in the oven one tray for flesh and one for the skin.... the skin comes out beauty and crispy and the flesh goes in for less time and work very well.. but best of all no smell and less input from me cook.. also have got the timing down to a tee now....

Cheers Don  

Edited by getting older slowly
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

So thus the idea of doing it in the oven one tray for flesh and one for the skin.... the skin comes out beauty and crispy and the flesh goes in for less time and work very well.. but best of all no smell and less input from me cook.. also have got the timing down to a tee now....

Cheers Don  

I must try that, Don. I usually use the pan fry method but even with a good exhaust fan the smell lingers. 

What oven temp do you use and how long do you cook it for? DH doesn't like the skin either but I love it.

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

I must try that, Don. I usually use the pan fry method but even with a good exhaust fan the smell lingers. 

What oven temp do you use and how long do you cook it for? DH doesn't like the skin either but I love it.

Right when i cut the skin off I leave between 5-10mm of flesh... tray with foil coat with olive oil spray, put flesh side down spray a little more oil oven 200deg for 25 minutes. ( the better half loves it this way )

Flesh with onions cover tray with foil 200deg about 15-20 minutes depending on thickness...

Also in Oven are oven chips seasoned and vegetables in foil... 

( is there such a thing as fish without chips )

So no mess... little cleaning up.. and the cook can sit and enjoy a G&T while dinner is cooking ...

So it is a win win meal... and everybody is happy.

Cheers Don

• Like 1

I have Red Emperor, my favourite tropical reef fish, to cook today.  Any recommendations on best way to cook?  I usually just pan fry in butter.   I also bought a kilo of local whiting fillets.  Not as good as King George Whiting, from down south, but I enjoy them.  I cook whiting fillets in egg and breadcrumbs.

Edited by MMDown Under

On 9/12/2020 at 1:39 PM, Blackduck59 said:

I do my salmon in a pan. I baste the fillet with olive oil then give it a generous coating of (Masterfoods) Cajun seasoning. I usually have with a side of prepared Asian salad from Aldi to which I add sultanas and lots of Persian fetta.

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I do my salmon in a pan. I baste the fillet with olive oil then give it a generous coating of (Masterfoods) Cajun seasoning. I usually have with a side of prepared Asian salad from Aldi to which I add sultanas and lots of Persian fetta.

Sounds like a nice meal. I'm not that keen on overly spicy. Most salmon spices here on the wet coast of Canada have some brown sugar in them. Sometimes I mix my own salmon spice which will always have smoked paprika and good sea salt, then I throw stuff in until I get the flavour profile I like.

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sounds like a nice meal. I'm not that keen on overly spicy. Most salmon spices here on the wet coast of Canada have some brown sugar in them. Sometimes I mix my own salmon spice which will always have smoked paprika and good sea salt, then I throw stuff in until I get the flavour profile I like.

We all hated the complementary salmon spices, which we received from a Salmon Company, at the Australian Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart.  We just enjoy salmon plain cooked, or raw in sushi.

28 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It's not overly spicy but if you get the heat just right it can end up with a light, blackened crust of herbs - Cajun style.

I've only recently come across Persian Feta. I add it to almost any salad - except Greek.😉

"Persian Fetta is flagship cheese of Yarra Valley Dairy located 50 kilometres from Melbourne, Victoria in Australia. It is wonderfully soft and creamy with a lush buttery finish cheese with a salty tang that is made from cow's milk, marinated in garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, fresh thyme and olive oil."

I've had halibut fish & chips in Canada and Alaska. Most times I've found the fish  overcooked. When cooked well I really like it.

Herbies Spices make some interesting spice blends, classic ones for fish, chicken, meats and also some more unusual native spice blends.

Their spices are very high quality and they have a large selection online. I usually buy most of my spices from them. 

Some small delis or greengrocers do stock some of their range but it's a bit hit and miss as to what they have. 

https://www.herbies.com.au

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

On 9/12/2020 at 2:35 PM, dillpickle48 said:

This is a screen grab of Greenwell Point from Live Traffic taken just now.  See if you can guess where our award winning Fish Cafe is?

226964767_ScreenShot2020-09-12at2_28_12PM.png.d860bf2d5db86c9101cf432fecea9fa6.png

Greenwell point of course, end of the road.

I was so lucky, growing up in Port Lincoln and surrounds. We have a holiday shack about 60ks out at a place called Little Douglas and over the summer school holidays as children, my brother and I would snorkel in the lagoon with Hawaiian Slings and catch flounder. Mum would then cook them whole for us for breakfast, they don't come any fresher than that!

My favourite fish is King George whiting, I generally just dust with a mix of flour and Tandaco "lightly seasoned fish" coating and shallow fry.

If you ever do a cruise that stops in Port Lincoln, do yourself a favour and grab a taxi or HOHO bus to The Fresh Fish Place for a feed, it is amazing, fresh, local seafood.

• Like 2

Well having seen one long thread "moved" without notice and another one locked out, I am a little concerned that this thread may get canned as well as the pie thread. Since this thread has no real "Topic" we can't stray "off topic". For the beloved pie thread I think every post should have the word pie in it 😁.

Sure wonder why their are suddenly thread police and censors on this board.

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well having seen one long thread "moved" without notice and another one locked out, I am a little concerned that this thread may get canned as well as the pie thread. Since this thread has no real "Topic" we can't stray "off topic". For the beloved pie thread I think every post should have the word pie in it 😁.

Sure wonder why their are suddenly thread police and censors on this board.

The admin have always been around on CC Lyle, including here, guarantee that.

Just now, NSWP said:

The admin have always been around on CC Lyle, including here, guarantee that.

I'm confident they have but the recent moves and closures seem a little out of sync with the overall tone over here. I have seen things closed and deleted on other boards but that was after some pretty intense exchanges. I've really never seen that in the down under section.

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm confident they have but the recent moves and closures seem a little out of sync with the overall tone over here. I have seen things closed and deleted on other boards but that was after some pretty intense exchanges. I've really never seen that in the down under section.

I agree, it's weird. But unless more threads get moved or go missing it's probably not worth worrying about. As long as they don't move the photo thread. I'd rather that one just stayed in our small group.