Trans Tasman Bubble ?

Yes...the links in the chain are very fragile and small steps are indeed called for .....

however..

something has to be done to get things moving.

Slowly at first . Perhaps some sort of incentive or discount for domestic travel .

Getting people moving will help to provide and keep jobs .

42 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

There had also been an approach from Israel to have a travel bubble with Australia.

Govt has said current focus only with NZ.

But how confident can you be with a country that boarders with undisciplined countries.

16 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I heard on the radio that a seat on a plane from sydney to Melbourne starts at $800.

If that is true what's a flight across the Tasman?

It will take a while to get the volume to reduce the price.

If you look at webjet, seats Melb to Sydney or Melbourne to Goldcoast both in Sept/Oct are only a little dearer than usual.

Accommodation on the Goldcoast in October is quite good.   No way are we going to Cairns, which was our first choice, because we would have to change flights which makes it a long haul.    Cruising is still the best value but we will wait and see how long that takes to come back, but my glass is half full.

40 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I heard on the radio that a seat on a plane from sydney to Melbourne starts at $800.

I just checked Jetstar and they have $79 one way fare for June.

image.thumb.png.cf181f183b13380b438a2cd58f7f66a0.png

Edited by By The Bay

18 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I just looked at Qantas/Jetstar for a flight from Sydney to Melbourne towards the end of this week - the only Red e Deal fare was $331 and return a week later was $204-$281. Flex fares were $452 and return the same. 

Later in the month ranged from $128-$241 for Red e fares and Flex fares were from $452-517. 

Leigh

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Never let the truth get in the way of a alarming headline.

Another good one is never let a good catastrophe go to waste.

Probably in the height of the lock down airfares were through the roof and are coming down. Especially advance purchase.

7 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Will you look at the list of countries? One really stands out 🙄 Not a chance!!

Anyway, I thought an ‘air-bridge’ was to countries where you could fly direct?🤔 That’s def not Greece .....

The 29 countries from which Greece will accept visitors as of June 15 are: China

Yeah, Nah!  Agree, it has to be a direct flight which is of course, meaningless.  If China wasnt on the list then Australia being there would be a good thing but that one kills off any celebration.

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Yeah, Nah!  Agree, it has to be a direct flight which is of course, meaningless.  If China wasnt on the list then Australia being there would be a good thing but that one kills off any celebration.

It's not hard to figure out why China are on the list - you just need to look at the charts showing the number of infections.  China's chart, just like Australia's, has flatlined.  There is now virtually no risk of a Chinese citizen bringing CV-19 with them into the country, just as there is virtually no risk for Australians & Kiwis.

Yes, the virus originated in China.  Yes, the CCP has behaved disgracefully in the way they have spread propaganda, lied to the WHO and the rest of the world, bullied anyone & everyone who has pushed back against their evil regime's behaviour, and generally been evil arseholes.  But those aren't the criteria countries like Greece are using when deciding who can & cannot enter their country.

China was the epicentre of CV-19 in Jan-Feb, but since then they have virtually eliminated the disease.  Similarly, Australia's numbers peaked in March-April, and (aside from Victoria) we've pretty much eliminated it too.

At the end of the day, countries like Greece are making decisions based on the health risks posed to their citizens - and Chinese travellers currently pose very little risk.

Edited by Vader1111

18 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

China was the epicentre of CV-19 in Jan-Feb, but since then they have virtually eliminated the disease. 

You must be one the few who believes what they say.

• Like 3

Gee Vader just a couple weeks ago Australia wasn't going to open up "For the foreseeable future" and cruises don't stand a chance until at least 2022 maybe longer. Now suddenly China will be great for tourism in Australia, do you have a trip planned to China and don't want to quarantine when you get home? Or have you planned a trip to Greece and don't want to quarantine when you get home because Greece has allowed tourists from zones not considered safe by Australia.

24 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Gee Vader just a couple weeks ago Australia wasn't going to open up "For the foreseeable future" and cruises don't stand a chance until at least 2022 maybe longer. Now suddenly China will be great for tourism in Australia, do you have a trip planned to China and don't want to quarantine when you get home? Or have you planned a trip to Greece and don't want to quarantine when you get home because Greece has allowed tourists from zones not considered safe by Australia.

Even though I agree the Chinese figures are reasonable, the above reflects a stunning turnaround.

2 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

It's not hard to figure out why China are on the list - you just need to look at the charts showing the number of infections.  China's chart, just like Australia's, has flatlined.  There is now virtually no risk of a Chinese citizen bringing CV-19 with them into the country, just as there is virtually no risk for Australians & Kiwis.

Yes, the virus originated in China.  Yes, the CCP has behaved disgracefully in the way they have spread propaganda, lied to the WHO and the rest of the world, bullied anyone & everyone who has pushed back against their evil regime's behaviour, and generally been evil arseholes.  But those aren't the criteria countries like Greece are using when deciding who can & cannot enter their country.

China was the epicentre of CV-19 in Jan-Feb, but since then they have virtually eliminated the disease.  Similarly, Australia's numbers peaked in March-April, and (aside from Victoria) we've pretty much eliminated it too.

At the end of the day, countries like Greece are making decisions based on the health risks posed to their citizens - and Chinese travellers currently pose very little risk.

Sorry. I no longer believe a word that comes from CCP. They do not deserve my trust nor respect. There is nothing they do, even as recently as today, that lends it itself towards anything to do with integrity and honesty. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rassa said:

You must be one the few who believes what they say.

I don't believe a damn thing the CCP says.  I do, however, believe they're over it when western satellites are showing pollution levels consistent with China returning to normal industrial output.

I don't believe that they had anything like 4000 deaths and 80,000 cases - if you add a couple of zeros to those figures you'd probably be getting closer to the truth.  I do believe, based on all the evidence available, that they've squashed it flat - just like many other countries have now squashed it flat.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

That's an interesting spin on things, certainly not based on anything I wrote.

What Greece are doing, and what Australia are doing, are two very different things.  Greece have a list of countries whose citizens are currently allowed to enter Greece.  The thing they all have in common is current low CV-19 infection rates.  Australia has a list of countries which they are talking about allowing in - that list contains precisely one country, New Zealand.

There's lots of reasons to hate on what China has done re: CV-19.  Their current infection rates are not one of them.

33 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Sorry. I no longer believe a word that comes from CCP. They do not deserve my trust nor respect. There is nothing they do, even as recently as today, that lends it itself towards anything to do with integrity and honesty. 

I agree.  When it comes to the CCP's propaganda, the best advice is "distrust but verify".  Western satellites are detecting pollution levels consistent with China's industrial engine getting back towards full capacity.  Nothing the western intelligence agencies have said indicates any issue with China's current claims of having squashed the virus. 

I don't trust the CCP, but all evidence available suggests that they're not lying on this particular occasion.

Chinese tourists statistically are huge spenders when overseas so I can understand why Greece would put them on the list. In terms of risk I would say China is probably being honest about their numbers. Once the cat was out of the bag there was little point in lying and it was in their best interest to be honest as their experts were consulting with overseas experts so accurate data was imperative by that stage and in many ways still is to help them control any future outbreaks. 

5 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Interesting results re the miner who passed away at Blackwater Qld, with “Covid”:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-01/coronavirus-queensland-nathan-turner-no-covid-blackwater-autopsy/12307546

Yes. That very much changes the scenario and it's unfortunate that the locals were put under stress and scrutiny. A random positive test in a remotish area didn't sound right given no other people ill in the area. I did mention days ago that a second test was negative. I'm not sure why the Health Dept was so adamant that the positive test was the correct one. Does make Health Depts insistence on border closures seem rather shaky too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1