Trans Tasman Bubble ?

4 hours ago, Porky55 said:

An Asia/Pacific bubble sounds interesting too, perhaps limited to non communist countries 🤔

We have a joint venture manufacturing facility in Vietnam. Their government reacted quickly with a 'lockdown' somewhat similar to here for a month or so, so I guess similar to NZ.

They have flattened the curve & many businesses are now working similarly to pre-COVID days. My contacts there were initially very concerned about the pandemic, but advise that the government acted very well to control the impact.

So not all communist countries are the same 🙂

That said, my contact there suggests that I should not visit there for the time being, perhaps even not until next year. He wouldn't want me to have to 'suffer' a 14 day quarantine upon arrival he says, so he's thinking that restrictions will apply until next year? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr walker said:

So not all communist countries are the same 🙂

Not the communist country I was referring to 🙄 

But this all sounds like good news for the future👍

Edited by Porky55

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Japan is also looking at subsidising international flights, accommodations and ticket entry like Scilly to entice tourists back. 

And apparently Hawaii is looking at a bubble with Japan and Australia before they open up with other US states.😳

Hawaii has done very well at controlling the spread so it might be feasible further down the track.

I reckon they should start with Australia and NZ, then widen it to include South Pacific countries - New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji, as they need the tourism, and possibly even French Polynesia if their borders are closed to France at the time. Then start slowly extending it to Asia - Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand. Singapore still hasn't flattened out from their second wave. Hong Kong has done well with the virus but isn't great politically at the moment.

I guess the caveat is that Hawaii has a very conservative Kt Govenor who has been quite vocal against t gh e cruise ships.  So any Hawaiian bubble is more likely an air-based one.  (Refuse to use that "bridge" term)

1 hour ago, pully8 said:

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/singapore-airlines-increases-australian-flights

Singapore airlines plans for direct flights.

essential travellers which may include returning students. Not keen on the idea to forgo 14 day quarantine. 

It will be interesting to see what these special "transfer lanes" entail🤔.

11 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Japan is also looking at subsidising international flights, accommodations and ticket entry like Scilly to entice tourists back. 

Not quite. 

They are looking at ramping up domestic travel though.

25 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

It will be interesting to see what these special "transfer lanes" entail🤔.

Just a means of keeping you airside, to prevent you from being able to wander landside as you used to be readily able to do.

Interesting re different countries norms and cultures.

One reason we like to travel and cruise.

Happy times talking with others and comparing lifestyles.

Looking forward to doing it again when we get the opportunity.

Fascinating reading news/current events around covid=19 restrictions.

Amazed with the death rates still high in many countries social distancing seems to have been abandoned.

Re voting it is a privilege. Some countries not possible and many fought to get the right to do so.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I reckon they should start with Australia and NZ, then widen it to include South Pacific countries - New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji, as they need the tourism, and possibly even French Polynesia if their borders are closed to France at the time.

As far as NZ is concerned, the Cook Islands & Niue may be the first countries in the South Pacific they will be looking at.

This from a comment by the Director-General of Health in NZ.

24 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

As far as NZ is concerned, the Cook Islands & Niue may be the first countries in the South Pacific they will be looking at.

This from a comment by the Director-General of Health in NZ.

The Cook Islands are desperate for tourists. It’s their main source of income,  
A bubble however exists on its own and the bigger it gets the more likely it is to burst .
Let’s hope we get back to almost normal as soon as possible .Looks like it may  be starting up again with Singapore Airlines , albeit slowly .

Greece’s quarantine-free holiday offer to Australians sounds too good to be true – and it is

I was thinking without a non stop flight how could this travel bubble work and it seems I was right 😒. Not too mention that pesky issue of travel insurance

To happier news, Australia is really popular with countries around the world 😉

Israel seeks quarantine-free travel with Australia by December as gateway to Europe

I have to admit I would love a non stop flight to Central America. It would make it so much easier to visit the area and it would be great not to transit the USA. 

are these $50.00 airfares for real? How packed in are you? Assuming our trip goes, we still have to book a flight from Melbourne to Sydney, this flight would be in mid February. We don't really do packed like sardines flying so what are the options? 

12 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

are these $50.00 airfares for real? How packed in are you? Assuming our trip goes, we still have to book a flight from Melbourne to Sydney, this flight would be in mid February. We don't really do packed like sardines flying so what are the options? 

Yes the airfares are real but there are a few wrinkles. a) they would be without check-in luggage, it can be bought at extra cost. b) they often don't last long, you have to be quick. c) frequently they are at the most unpopular times, early morning or late nights. d) No meals or drinks unless you pay for them.

I would add that the entire flight is very short, just over an hour and the seats are pretty well normal for economy. Perfectly doable for a very short flight.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

They would be Jetstar fares. An airline I choose not to fly,  no frills, add luggage etc etc.  Shall we say, the seating is cosy. May also leave out of Avalon, which is a long way from the city.

Normal sort of economy fare with Qantas or Virgin (if still operating) is around $120-150 one way. Monday and Friday often more expensive. Business probably around $850.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

"However, Air New Zealand has poured cold water on a proposal to launch trans-Tasman passenger flights on July 1, saying it has no intention to operate the proposed service between Canberra and Wellington."

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

"However, Air New Zealand has poured cold water on a proposal to launch trans-Tasman passenger flights on July 1, saying it has no intention to operate the proposed service between Canberra and Wellington."

A big disappointment to fans of miserable bone chilling winds on both sides of the Tasman.🥶

Edited by SinbadThePorter

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We did a long weekend from Sydney to Tasmania a few years ago for about $70 each.

I remember Sydney to Adelaide for something like $29.

3 hours ago, Docker123 said:

They would be Jetstar fares. An airline I choose not to fly,  no frills, add luggage etc etc.  Shall we say, the seating is cosy. May also leave out of Avalon, which is a long way from the city.

Normal sort of economy fare with Qantas or Virgin (if still operating) is around $120-150 one way. Monday and Friday often more expensive. Business probably around $850.

But for a hour or two you can put up with the great unwashed.