Now I'm Angry. She wants to ban cruising!!

babs135

6 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

She doesn’t know what she’s talking about. I just completed a college course on travel and environmental and social impacts. Cruises are taking great measures, more than most companies, to minimize their carbon footprint.

Yes, cruise companies are taking great measures.  Multi-million dollar fines and the prospect of executives being incarcerated for environmental violations did get their attention. 

So the article's author claims the following:

1) Cruise ships can be high density infection vectors

2) The volume of pax on a cruise ship adversely affects the environment where ever it ports or travels

3) Cruise ships continue to use high sulpher fuels that over pollute

4) Cruise ships discharge tons of waste into the oceans

5) Staff on cruise ships are overworked, underpaid, and have crowded living quarters.

Care to debate these points now, without the hyperbole and trendy adjectives?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

2) The volume of pax on a cruise ship adversely affects the environment where ever it ports or travels

5) Staff on cruise ships are overworked, underpaid, and have crowded living quarters.

Depends upon which side of the debate you choose.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

These scientists conclude that the more carbon in the atmosphere the better. For example longer growing seasons means more food for a growing population. 

I am going to guess you are not in the agricultural industry and are not keeping up with the news in the farming world😒

• Like 2

3 hours ago, evandbob said:

Yes, it is the hyperbole & sloganish wording is what makes the article ineffective to a discussion.  

You lay well known concerns out very well.  

You know, about item 2, which is frequently brought up here on CC, I find it hard to blame the cruise lines.  This can be solved in a heartbeat by the local authorities who allow it to happen.  In my lifetime the world's population has increased by almost 3 times, which is kind of scary.  Things are more crowded and getting worse.  Things are going to be different.  There doesn't appear to be any going back.  

5 hours ago, evandbob said:

1) Yes. 

2) Not quite. It's the number of cruise ships not the number on a ship.

3) Yes and no.  They use sulphur fuel but advanced scrubber technology mitigates the damage.

4) Yes despite regulatory efforts. (Looking at you Carnival)

5) Yes by North American standards.  Perhaps not by the standards of a developing country.

Edited by K32682

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

1) Yes. 

2) Not quite. It's the number of cruise ships not the number on a ship.

3) Yes and no.  They use sulphur fuel but advanced scrubber technology mitigates the damage.

4) Yes despite regulatory efforts. (Looking at you Carnival)

5) Yes by North American standards.  Perhaps not by the standards of a developing country.

Agree with you generally - except on #2 (volume of pax):  there would be more damage done by the 10,000 pax getting off two RCI mega ships than by 4,000  getting off four small ships.

This is hardly worth getting angry over.  It is just one person's opinion.  Take it or leave it.

Life is too short to get upset over anyone else's opinion or view on any subject is it?   Relax.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iancal said:

This is hardly worth getting angry over.  It is just one person's opinion.  Take it or leave it.

Life is too short to get upset over anyone else's opinion or view on any subject is it?   Relax.

And it's a freaking blog!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

You know, about item 2, which is frequently brought up here on CC, I find it hard to blame the cruise lines.  This can be solved in a heartbeat by the local authorities who allow it to happen.  

I don't know if the cruise ship is completely blameless🤔. I have read in the past when local authorities of the ports have tried to negotiate with cruise lines to change things like reducing numbers and cruise lines would threaten to pull all their business rather than have a rational negotiation that would benefit both. So ports are given a choice of two extremes, have all the ships disappear or accept all ships. What are you suppose to do in that circumstance😳

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I don't know if the cruise ship is completely blameless🤔. I have read in the past when local authorities of the ports have tried to negotiate with cruise lines to change things like reducing numbers and cruise lines would threaten to pull all their business rather than have a rational negotiation that would benefit both. So ports are given a choice of two extremes, have all the ships disappear or accept all ships. What are you suppose to do in that circumstance😳

Interesting dilemma.  I would think it would be a limit on the number of ships at a port at any given time as opposed to asking cruise ships to limit the number of passengers, if that is what they were even negotiating.  Sure ships have different passenger counts but limiting the number of ships is at least the start of a solution.   I also suppose it depends on which country we are talking about.  For a place like Venice, the Italian gov't has plenty of clout to get what is needed.  It is hard to imagine cruise lines will take all of Italy off their itineraries.    

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

No it is the lizard people who are trying to take hold of cruise ships to use them to transmit 5G and take over the world 😱

Chem trails are spreading 5G. Lizard people are up to something else.

• Haha 1

I am almost certain that it is the North Koreans....aided in the background by China who are behind this.  Apparently they have enlisted the help of the UFO community as well.  Bill Gates may have a hand in it as well.

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, iancal said:

I am almost certain that it is the North Koreans....aided in the background by China who are behind this.  Apparently they have enlisted the help of the UFO community as well.  Bill Gates may have a hand in it as well.

Bilderbergers and Trilateral Commission are in the mix too.  Opus Dei took a pass due to too much Opus One. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, iancal said:

I figured Area 51 was also involved. I'm not taking off my tinfoil hat anytime soon. It has protected me so far...

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

Gizmondo has a notorious history. That’s all I am going to say. There are much better science and tech sites. I recommend The Verge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That sounds intriguing. I think I've seen some things from The Verge. Thanks for the tips.