Social Distancing - will ships have to rearrange or even close venues? And who regulates this?

clo

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My beard and hair are both a lot shorter than 50 years ago when I both went as far as my lower back and waist respectively.

"And I was so much older then, when i was young"

The company I worked for would have frowned on it so I didn't have a full beard until I joined retirement.  I think I've had it off once over the past eight years.    

Regarding the views posted about Carnival's restart being unrealistic, etc.... because people will not be ready, it should be remembered that there are workers who were essential and have been working continually since the pandemic.  We usually think it is just health care and first responders, but there are actually about 16 groups defined as "essential"; in fact more workers outside of travel/leisure are considered essential than not.  Those workers have been going out each day with and without strict mitigations.  They have come to terms with going out into the world each day.  They may be willing to take one of those first cruises, who knows?  I will not judge them.

I do hope there is a plan for when a ship does have the virus onboard to redock in it's home port whether FLA or TX.  That may be the weakest part of the reopening plan.

• Like 2

I dont see how it will be regulated. Its not like they are going to have police on board who will monitor people and the distance between them. Moreover, you cant just have an eye on every single passenger. there are over 2-3k passengers on those ships doing their things. I would say that they will enforce wearing a mask and limit you access to things if you break this regulation.. its my guess 

9 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I dont see how it will be regulated. Its not like they are going to have police on board who will monitor people and the distance between them. 

Police have no jurisdiction in international waters.

Ensuring that passengers follow ship's policies on virus control will be down to ship's security staff and ultimately the captain

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Home port is where a ship sails out of on a regular basis.  

And frequently varies with the season.  Some ships homeported in the winter months in Los Angeles or San Diego for cruises down the coast of Mexico may home port in Seattle June -September for the Alaska season.  Many ships homeported in Fort Lauderdale and Miami between November and April will relocate for the summer season.

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

And frequently varies with the season.  Some ships homeported in the winter months in Los Angeles or San Diego for cruises down the coast of Mexico may home port in Seattle June -September for the Alaska season.  Many ships homeported in Fort Lauderdale and Miami between November and April will relocate for the summer season.

Absolutely correct.  Wish all my Navy ships had done that.   🙂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Thanks. I was thinking that our Oceania cruise embarked IIRC in Lisbon or Barcelona. We embarked in Rio and disembarked in Buenos Aires and it went up the west coast of S. America to ???

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

I dont see how it will be regulated. Its not like they are going to have police on board who will monitor people and the distance between them. Moreover, you cant just have an eye on every single passenger. there are over 2-3k passengers on those ships doing their things. I would say that they will enforce wearing a mask and limit you access to things if you break this regulation.. its my guess 

LOL, DW is a teacher and earlier today she said something to the effect of how can they restart school? What will they do about the kids having to go to the bathroom? And my reply was that they would have to hire someone for both boys' and girls' bathrooms to enforce hand washing.

I guess the cruise lines will have to do the same, but how do you do that for each cabin?

26 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Absolutely correct.  Wish all my Navy ships had done that.   🙂

Retention might have been higher with that sort of switching: say Newport: May-October

followed by Mayport November-April.

Doing more sailing in “shipping over weather” could have altered some career plans.

55 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Police have no jurisdiction in international waters.

Ensuring that passengers follow ship's policies on virus control will be down to ship's security staff and ultimately the captain

JB :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

The police are the officers and security on board.  But yeah, enforcing it ship-wide at all times would be impossible.  It would be up to individual passengers to act responsibly, and we all know that'll be hit or miss.  

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

"And I was so much older then, when i was young"

The company I worked for would have frowned on it so I didn't have a full beard until I joined retirement.  I think I've had it off once over the past eight years.    

I went for many job interviews and was told you have wonderful qualifications but you will have to shave your beard.I refused and was out of work for quite some time.In total frustration I took out my Brooklyn Yellow Pages directory ,closed my eyes and open the book to the middle.I took a finger and called the number.I asked if they had any job openings.The person who answered the phone said all hiring is done at their Manhattan office.I called ,got an interview and was hired on the spot with my ponytail and hair down to my belly.They never asked me to get a haircut or shave my beard.I worked there 25 years.I did trim my hair and beard 6 years later .

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I went for many job interviews and was told you have wonderful qualifications but you will have to shave your beard.I refused and was out of work for quite some time.In total frustration I took out my Brooklyn Yellow Pages directory ,closed my eyes and open the book to the middle.I took a finger and called the number.I asked if they had any job openings.The person who answered the phone said all hiring is done at their Manhattan office.I called ,got an interview and was hired on the spot with my ponytail and hair down to my belly.They never asked me to get a haircut or shave my beard.I worked there 25 years.I did trim my hair and beard 6 years later .

Picture please.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 10:29 PM, navybankerteacher said:

I think you have nailed it. 

Until there is a vaccine or COVID largely vanishes through mutation or mass immunization by mild exposure, cruising (at least as it used to be done) does not seem possible.  It will be interesting to see how the recently announced, bargain-priced, short itinerary cruises Carnival recently announced for early August work out.  They surely cannot be profitable for the line - but they may be seen as worthwhile public relations expenditures — I have manybbetter things to do with my time to consider them (at any price), but I will be interested to observe that results of that experiment (which, sadly, at this time does not seem to be well thought out).

Absolutely correct.What percentage of the people who post on CC do you think share this opinion ?

Social distancing would be impossible to enforce on a cruise ship, unfortunately they are small confined spaces where you are interacting with the same group of people for days. Eventually someone is going to sneeze on someone😳. I think the only compromise would be having smaller ships. At least if there is an out break on board smaller numbers of people would be easier to manage, if they can come up with a plan acceptable to ports about what to do during an outbreak. You would also have to decrease the number of ships that can dock at the same time in the same ports. I think that would only way to minimize risk that could be worked with both ports and cruise lines.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Haha, sounds like it was meant to be!  And, that is one of those life moments worth remembering.  Well done!  🍻

On 5/9/2020 at 5:17 PM, clo said:

Nevada is starting to reopen certain industries like restaurants, hair salons, etc. Restaurants will have to remove half their seating, servers must wear masks. Reservations are recommended, probably to help with distancing at the entrance. Space in hair salons is going to have to be a lot greater, again masks must be worn.  Are these things going to be implemented before ships can sail? And who makes that call? CDC?  I can't believe that it will be business as usual. Has anyone read anything in this regard? TIA.

I can't imagine a gathering of large group of people who come from all over the world where they mingle in close proximity for days and days no matter status of herd immunity or vaccine to NOT include masks.    

You will never get to 100% immunity nor 100% vaccination nor 100% test of negative on a cruise without some quarantine time.

Unlike flying which has some business continuity aspects cruising falls into the same arena as sports, but sports can start without spectators, cruising by definition requires lots of risk taking people to gather.   

I say when it starts you will all have to wear masks, provided by the cruise for the first few seasons, maybe after the pandemic has circle the world and we've killed off the weak we can go maskless

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Haha, sounds like it was meant to be!  And, that is one of those life moments worth remembering.  Well done!  🍻

I am sure we all have very special life moments.When I was in my 20’s I began keeping a journal about my wife to that time .I added to it for about 10 years .That will be for my grand kids to read after I leave the planet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chipmaster said:

I can't imagine a gathering of large group of people who come from all over the world where they mingle in close proximity for days and days no matter status of herd immunity or vaccine to NOT include masks.    

You will never get to 100% immunity nor 100% vaccination nor 100% test of negative on a cruise without some quarantine time.

Unlike flying which has some business continuity aspects cruising falls into the same arena as sports, but sports can start without spectators, cruising by definition requires lots of risk taking people to gather.   

I say when it starts you will all have to wear masks, provided by the cruise for the first few seasons, maybe after the pandemic has circle the world and we've killed off the weak we can go maskless

I'll just put this here. It's the rules for California dine-in restaurants. It's TMI and I got to the point of skimming. What will be required of cruise lines?

https://covid19.ca.gov/pdf/guidance-dine-in-restaurants.pdf

On 5/11/2020 at 1:47 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Can you tell us the name of the company?