WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO RESTART CRUISE SHIPS???

CGTNORMANDIE

On 5/12/2020 at 8:46 AM, Fouremco said:

All of the private islands have local day workers supplementing the staff provided by the ship. Consequently, they too would have to be tested daily before being admitted to the island.

MSC quarters their workers on the Ocean Cay.  They built housing so commuting is very limited. 

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

MSC quarters their workers on the island.  They built housing so commuting is very limited. 

I was referring to the islands available to Celebrity and the other cruise lines sailing under the RCCL banner.

But even very limited commuting in your MSC example would necessitate daily testing of those workers who do commute.

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I was referring to the islands available to Celebrity and the other cruise lines sailing under the RCCL banner.

But even very limited commuting in your MSC example would necessitate daily testing of those workers who do commute.

I suspect it more likely that the Bahamas would not let them commute.  The country will be more concerned about the workers bringing COVID home, than potential for infecting passengers. 

The highest risk for those workers will be from the passengers getting off each ship, than catching it at home considering that the Bahamas has a total of 93 cases and the numbers are declining.

I suspect and deal that the Bahamas makes with the cruise lines and their private islands would require isolating the island and not having employees going back and forth.

1 hour ago, npcl said:

I suspect it more likely that the Bahamas would not let them commute.  The country will be more concerned about the workers bringing COVID home, than potential for infecting passengers. 

The highest risk for those workers will be from the passengers getting off each ship, than catching it at home considering that the Bahamas has a total of 93 cases and the numbers are declining.

I suspect and deal that the Bahamas makes with the cruise lines and their private islands would require isolating the island and not having employees going back and forth.

LOL. I agree fully and have said the same in numerous posts on a variety of threads, pointing out that all of these "private islands" are still part of sovereign nations who get the final call on who will or won't be allowed to land and under what conditions.

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

But that order was already extended in mid-April for sailings through July 24..  I don't understand what's new about this?

It's not new. It's click-bait by CNN; recycling a month-old article, perhaps adding a paragraph, and re-posting it as new news.

23 hours ago, RichYak said:

It's not new. It's click-bait by CNN; recycling a month-old article, perhaps adding a paragraph, and re-posting it as new news.

And it even floated over to our local news station!  Heard the headline, so I tuned in to watch and sure enough, they were talking about the same policy released in mid-April.  So tired of these news organization doing their best to create fear and panic with how they are handling this.  Heaven knows there is enough of both that is valid without fueling the flames.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I don't even understand what the map represents? Just checking on Australia, it's completely restricted yet the map doesn't show that. 

If you click on Australia on the map you will see that there is a long list of exceptions. The Totally Restrictive countries don't have these multiple exceptions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

If you click on Australia on the map you will see that there is a long list of exceptions. The Totally Restrictive countries don't have these multiple exceptions.

Thanks! It doesnt work so well on the ipad but can see what you mean on the PC. In effect it is only Australians and Permanent Residents who can actually arrive here, other than airline crew and some transits. We are rather locked down at the moment and cant move from state to state without quarantining on arrival. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

We are advised not to travel abroad from the UK but at the moment there are no travel restrictions in theory coming in, but hardly any flights. The UK government has announced that from an unspecified date (predicted to be 1 June) anyone arriving in the country (apart from Ireland and possibly France) will have to be in quarantine for 14 days in a private house or government approved hotel (there will not be too many we gather). There are a few exceptions, i.e. lorry drivers but not holiday makers for certain.

This applies to folks coming in by air, sea or through the Channel Tunnel. In my view it will scupper any thoughts of cruising whilst in operation. Many of the UK based airlines are not happy as they will effectively be closed down whilst the quarantine is in operation.

Heard an interesting testing concept on tv this morning that is being considered for large workplaces but might work for cruise ships.  Didn't hear what test they were discussing other than it is saliva based.  They spoke of breaking down 1,000 workers into groups of 50.  Each worker submits a saliva sample and all 50 samples are combined and run as a single test.  If the test comes back negative all 50 workers are cleared.  If not the group of 50 is broken into 5 groups of 10 and retested.  Groups of 10 that test negative go to work and the remainder are then tested individually. Should speed things up considerably and save lots of test kits.

28 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Heard an interesting testing concept on tv this morning that is being considered for large workplaces but might work for cruise ships.  Didn't hear what test they were discussing other than it is saliva based.  They spoke of breaking down 1,000 workers into groups of 50.  Each worker submits a saliva sample and all 50 samples are combined and run as a single test.  If the test comes back negative all 50 workers are cleared.  If not the group of 50 is broken into 5 groups of 10 and retested.  Groups of 10 that test negative go to work and the remainder are then tested individually. Should speed things up considerably and save lots of test kits.

Interesting considering the number of false negatives even coming from various individual tests.  Something like 46% on day 2 of symptoms, down to 22% on day 7 after symptoms. 

Was just reading about one case that tested negative 4 times with 3 different tests. They confirmed covid by taking a swab from the bottom of a lung (patient was under general anesthesia at the time) and that tested positive.

Tests can confirm, but the high number of false negatives mean that a single negative test does not mean much. 

Just seen Celebrity UK are offering deals on a cruise out of Southampton on June 13th 2020. This has got to be nuts. You have to be incredibly optimistic if you think this cruise will run. Silhouette is in the Caribbean with a skeleton crew, very few ways to fly in a crew. The US CDC is currently banning use of US ports until late July (but could change). The UK government is planning to introduce 14 day quarantine rules, probably in early June, and other cruise lines have cancelled the European season. Come on Celebrity a bit of honesty please. I think my cruise in October is at best 50/50 but in June!

19 hours ago, madmacs said:

Just seen Celebrity UK are offering deals on a cruise out of Southampton on June 13th 2020. This has got to be nuts. You have to be incredibly optimistic if you think this cruise will run. Silhouette is in the Caribbean with a skeleton crew, very few ways to fly in a crew. The US CDC is currently banning use of US ports until late July (but could change). The UK government is planning to introduce 14 day quarantine rules, probably in early June, and other cruise lines have cancelled the European season. Come on Celebrity a bit of honesty please. I think my cruise in October is at best 50/50 but in June!

Feels a bit cynical of Celebrity to sell this cruise in the present circumstances - that cruise will almost certainly not sail and if it does where will it actually sail to? 

Perhaps a desperate attempt  to get cash in. Keep selling cruises to generate cash to pay for the refunds needed to pay for earlier cancelled sailings. 

If it does sail, on it's return the indication is that everyone will need to go into quarantine

Edited by DYKWIA

21 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

Feels a bit cynical of Celebrity to sell this cruise in the present circumstances - that cruise will almost certainly not sail and if it does where will it actually sail to? 

Perhaps a desperate attempt  to get cash in. Keep selling cruises to generate cash to pay for the refunds needed to pay for earlier cancelled sailings. 

If it does sail, on it's return the indication is that everyone will need to go into quarantine

You are describing a classic pyramid scheme.

They just need to cancel more cruises further out in time. That is coming for sure.    If they have not extended the cancellations, theoretically they could continue to sell those mid-2020 cruises to the public.  But who will buy them at this point?   Not many.  So not much cash being generated for them.

To restart?  Cruise lines will need to redesign the way they deal with and accommodate their passengers, from fewer people in public spaces, to boarding and disembarking procedures, to feeding passengers.  MDRs are a disaster both in concept and for health.  Noisy, over crowded and with bad/cold food.  Public spaces are too crowded.  Theaters are similarly over crowded.  Getting on and off has I'm proved over the years but is still slow, especially disembarking.  

Will take new thinking and restructuring processes, not necessarily redesigning spaces.  Fewer passengers is an excellent start, even at the cost of higher prices.  

On 5/15/2020 at 5:01 PM, madmacs said:

They just want your money in exchange for FCC.  Simple business logic.  Don't give it to them!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 6:28 PM, jelayne said:

Apparently Arkansas is 100% open.  Here stores are limited to 25% so common to see a line outside a grocery or other store as someone leaves the next person can  enter.  No state mandate to wear a mask.  We are in a rural area with only 2 cases in the county.  I would say about 40% wear masks in stores.

Arkansas has 4500 total people infected, 65 currently in hospitals. Older people should shelter themselves and rest of people - go and live your life , using common sense. 

• Like 1

Restrictions are easing in many states in the U.S.   Hoping for an end of any restrictions by July 4.   New York City might still be a problem but their rates of infection are also going down.    Guess we could worry about a resurgence but things are heading the right direction.   

4 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Restrictions are easing in many states in the U.S.   Hoping for an end of any restrictions by July 4.   New York City might still be a problem but their rates of infection are also going down.    Guess we could worry about a resurgence but things are heading the right direction.   

Yet Texas had its highest single-day increase in new coronavirus cases yesterday and the governor has announced even further loosening of restrictions effective tomorrow. While I like to be optimistic, second wave predictions can't be ignored.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

Arkansas has 4500 total people infected, 65 currently in hospitals. Older people should shelter themselves and rest of people - go and live your life , using common sense. 

I hope your state doesn’t regret these choices. 

• Like 2