Silversea refund processing time

wren2

On 10/26/2020 at 6:57 PM, UKCruiseJeff said:

1.  Filing a dispute with a credit company doesn't delay it's resolution... This is because the credit card company will immediately a dispute is opened promptly contact the company and send them a "request for information".  It will ask the merchant (a) if they dispute the transaction and (b) if they do that what documents they must provide and when is the final deadline that they must be provided.  This time is days rather than months.

Jeff, I think you are directionally accurate here, but I disagree on how the timing can play out. Filing a dispute with the credit card company can delay its resolution, as I think happened in the case here. If the company is close to resolving the refund request, a credit card dispute can add time.

Let's just talk round numbers here: A customer requests refund and is told to expect it within 45 days. After 30 days -- two weeks before their refund would come through -- the customer disputes the charge with their credit card company. The customer documents their claim; the credit card company issues a temporary credit to the customer immediately and mails a chargeback notice to the merchant (the cruise company) requesting information. The company receives the letter and has a window of time to respond to the credit card company. Even if the merchant responds agreeing the refund is warranted, it can take several more days for the wheels to turn and the credit card company finally resolves the issue. This process can take a month, plus or minus a few days, to play out. (My company has a credit card merchant account. I've received and had to respond to chargeback requests; the time period to respond is weeks, not days; I think the last one I saw required a response within 21 days.) That's how it could take more time;  instead of waiting two more weeks (6 weeks total time) for the refund from the cruise company, it could take four more weeks (8 weeks total time) for the dispute resolution via the credit card company. That's all I was noting in my previous post.

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

Jeff, I think you are directionally accurate here, but I disagree on how the timing can play out. Filing a dispute with the credit card company can delay its resolution, as I think happened in the case here. If the company is close to resolving the refund request, a credit card dispute can add time.

Let's just talk round numbers here: A customer requests refund and is told to expect it within 45 days. After 30 days -- two weeks before their refund would come through -- the customer disputes the charge with their credit card company. The customer documents their claim; the credit card company issues a temporary credit to the customer immediately and mails a chargeback notice to the merchant (the cruise company) requesting information. The company receives the letter and has a window of time to respond to the credit card company. Even if the merchant responds agreeing the refund is warranted, it can take several more days for the wheels to turn and the credit card company finally resolves the issue. This process can take a month, plus or minus a few days, to play out. (My company has a credit card merchant account. I've received and had to respond to chargeback requests; the time period to respond is weeks, not days; I think the last one I saw required a response within 21 days.) That's how it could take more time;  instead of waiting two more weeks (6 weeks total time) for the refund from the cruise company, it could take four more weeks (8 weeks total time) for the dispute resolution via the credit card company. That's all I was noting in my previous post.

Your point is perfectly correct, but with respect your point has nothing at all to do with this situation and is irrelavent because you are simply saying that the dispute might finally be closed on the bank's/credit card's books later than if the cruiseline finally would have paid out which is as I clearly said - "inconsequential" to the customer because the customer has been refunded immediately with no chance of the decision ever being reversed.

Cruiselines will do anything to dissaude customers from filing disputes because once this route is understood by customers and repeated in places like this and social media generally then the game is pretty much up for many of them.  They have already spent that cash a long time ago and must borrow to pay back customers.  And it is extremely bad news for agents because they have to try and get the cash back from the lines rather than make their customers wait.

Put in it's simplest terms, as I said, there is absolutely no downside whatsoever for the customer if they raise a dispute because they feel unsafe leaving their cash with the cruiseline and want it back immediately.   Quite the reverse.  For example, if the cruiseline does go bust after the dispute has been opened then the customers cash has an additional safeguard.   If however they haven't opened the dispute then the additional layer of safeguard is removed and they become an unsecured creditor.

This idea or "fudge" was originally posted around forums as a result of customers being told that filing a dispute causes a delay in them being refunded "because they go the back of the queue" and the time for the refund "starts again" and has been repeated very often and many who do not understand will therefore be scared off.  But it sn't true. 

What most customers could really do with at the moment is more clarity and encouragement to file disputes if they want to safeguard their money and prefer not to wait for and risk their cash rather than be misled by any confusing implication that there might be some disadvantage to them which I think arguments like yours unintentionally perhaps tend to fuel.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Jeff, you're bringing in issues unrelated to the specifics of the issue I was discussing. I agree with you that if someone is concerned about a cruise line going out of business before receiving their refund, a credit card dispute is a sound approach. I also agree that filing a credit card dispute does not make your claim "go to the back of the queue" (although it does reset the timing and put you in a different queue).

But the issue in this thread that I was specifically responding to was that for someone who has already waited about 30 days for a requested refund, at a time when refunds are taking about 45 days, there's a good chance that your refund will be resolved faster by continuing to wait another 2 weeks than if you start a credit card dispute which will likely take 3 to 4 weeks to be resolved. (And by "resolved faster," I'm again referring to the specifics here of a customer who does not want to dip into the immediate/temporary credit on their credit card account until the refund is finalized.)

I hope that can be the end of this little sub-topic within the broader thread; in any case, I'll drop out now so as not to keep going around about it. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, alexandria said:

Received my refund, fifty-four (54) days after my request when Silversea cancelled our cruise.  The credit was transmitted by Silversea to my card issuer fifty-three (53) days after request, it posted to my card the following day. 

Glad to hear its arrived, sorry it still took so long.

On 11/11/2020 at 11:28 AM, Silver Spectre said:

Glad to hear its arrived, sorry it still took so long.

Thanks.  And in the meantime, DW and I had flights for a holiday trip to visit family which were cancelled by the airline last week.  We requested a refund and received it in full in seven (7) days.  As you can imagine, the airline gave us a positive refund experience, Silversea, a negative refund experience.  Like many consumers, I am loyal to those companies that treat us well...

Edited by alexandria
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an excellent article to be published in tomorrow's Miami Herald that covers in detail how to get refunds or credits from multiple cruise lines. "COVID-19 canceled your cruise. Here’s how you can use that money for a future vacation.""https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article247510520.html?ac_cid=DM339813&ac_bid=-1205325801

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

Today was day 45 since our cancelation … the email from SS said it would be processed by today (1/2/21)needless to state we  did not receive our refund today.  🤥

Joseph

Sorry to hear this.  Silversea has been very good about getting refunds out in a timely manner (unlike at least one other luxury line.)   There can be delays caused by the credit card issuer.  There are also the holidays to take into account.  In one case not long ago, the bank/credit card issuer showed that it had received the credit from Silversea five days before it was posted to my account.  (See post 129 in this thread for more detail.)   

4 minutes ago, Observer said:

In one case not long ago, the bank/credit card issuer showed that it had received the credit from Silversea five days before it was posted to my account.

I contacted both SS and the card company (amex) today to see if the credit had been issued.

SS said it was processed on 11/18 ( that was the cancelation date) and Amex said they do not show an active pending credit yet on my account as of today.. I understand the holiday schedule may delay .. As I mentioned to Amex I will allow another ten days before I begin to take any action... 

Just disappointed is all... 

Joseph 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I have an email from SS stating my refund would post between Dec. 14 and Dec. 26.  When that didn't happen I had my TA contact them.  Another 45 business days was the response.  Time for a credit card dispute.

I wonder if there was a miscommunication between your TA and SS.  It seems very unlikely that SS has simply doubled the anticipated time for refunds from 45 to 90 days.  It is possible that filing a credit card dispute may further delay your receipt of the funds.  See posts 203 and 205 in this thread.

1 hour ago, Observer said:

I wonder if there was a miscommunication between your TA and SS.  It seems very unlikely that SS has simply doubled the anticipated time for refunds from 45 to 90 days.  It is possible that filing a credit card dispute may further delay your receipt of the funds.  See posts 203 and 205 in this thread.

Silversea may be delaying refunds because of cash flow shortage.Hope everyone with substantial outstanding refunds due get them prior to the inevitable if cruising does not recommence this year.

6 hours ago, Observer said:

She forwarded the email from SS on Nov.11 confirming the original refund time.  When I hadn't seen it by Dec. 31 I asked her to follow up.

• We estimate this credit card refund to show on your statement between  12/16/2020 and 12/26/2020, subject to your Credit Card provider processing time.

So filing a dispute will extend it beyond the additional 45 days?  So like May of 2021?

9 hours ago, brimary said:

Silversea may be delaying refunds because of cash flow shortage.Hope everyone with substantial outstanding refunds due get them prior to the inevitable if cruising does not recommence this year.

This speculation doesn't make sense to me. Silversea won't be cruising in the next couple months, so their cash position won't be much better in February. So it doesn't help them appreciably whether they pay the refund now or 45 days from now. 

On 10/26/2020 at 8:26 AM, alexandria said:

Glad it was finally resolved for you.  As far as AMEX sending you a check, that is standard practice when a cardholder has a significant credit.  Frankly, it is better for you as you can spend the money as you need, whether in cash, check or a credit card of your choosing.  Otherwise, you'd be stuck having to use your AMEX to access those funds.  Hope your husband's medical condition improves.

I do agree with Mrs. Waldo that it is always advisable to have a significant "rainy day" fund for expenses that may be unforeseen.  Many financial planners recommend three to six months of expenses be kept for such needs.  However, I certainly don't blame you for how you handled the refund issue.  You tried to work it out directly with Silversea and you waited patiently for thirty (30) days (well past the time that federal law requires for such a refund to be transmitted to your credit card issuer) , contacted them again directly and only filed your credit card dispute after they continued to tell you to wait.  You were more than patient and the delayed refund was entirely Silversea's responsibility and their delay was both unlawful and unreasonable.

Again, I'm glad you finally received your refund.  All the best!

Thanks for all your good wishes.  Things are looking up!

On 1/4/2021 at 3:17 AM, cruiseej said:

This speculation doesn't make sense to me. Silversea won't be cruising in the next couple months, so their cash position won't be much better in February. So it doesn't help them appreciably whether they pay the refund now or 45 days from now. 

Did not say Silversea would be cruising in next couple of months .

It is patently obvious my post related to cash flow from future bookings as this is probably their only source of income in these difficult times.

On the.  future for  Silversea who knows but they have optimistically sent me three brochures for 2021 and 2022 sailings during the last seven days.

we live in hope.

On 1/2/2021 at 6:39 PM, rucrazy said:

Today was day 45 since our cancelation … the email from SS said it would be processed by today (1/2/21)needless to state we  did not receive our refund today.  🤥

Our refund posted today!