Will Florida cruises start back up in August?

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

We can be tested in New York for the virus and antibodies.  I got tested when I had to go to the ER, everyone is tested before they decide which part of the ER they put you in. I didn’t realize they even tested me it was so quick.  They did rapid testing and I was negative.  Back to the point, I am not sure if your doctor has to okay the test but I think the ads all say anyone can get the test.

Hope you are as healthy as a horse and feeling better.

3 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Correct me if I am misinformed, but I do not think that Florida had the Phase 1,2,3,4 strategy that New York and neighboring states have chosen as a re-opening protocol.

Were the number of people using a beach in Florida limited? Was mask wearing and social distancing part of a plan?  Were the number of customers in bars,restaurants and retail shops limited ? Did hair salons,barber shops,tattoo parlors and nail salons have to follow certain protocols for their businesses to operate ?

Here on Long Island, NY,we have recently been in Phase 2. The parking lot of a nearby State beach has limited parking,with every other spot marked with a traffic cone. Once the lot is full, beach goers are turned away. Our local town beaches are limited to resident permit only and capacity has been diminished.

In our township,there are signs posted that wearing a mask is necessary if social distancing of 6ft cannot be maintained. The amount of customers in retail stores,restaurants and bars are limited,with only outside dining being allowed. While hair salons and barber shops can be opened,certain protocols have been put in place such as no one in the waiting rooms, only hair services are allowed- no other beauty treatments can be offered. Tattoo parlors are not open.

So far, our numbers are good. We are hoping this trend continues.

Of course there is a concern that numbers of positive cases may happen given the protests of the past few weeks and more people coming out of their homes to return to work. However, data will be the deciding fact if Phase 3 occurs or if Phase 2 is rolled back.

It is this attention to the data for decisions about re-opening that has caused the NY numbers to be so low ( at least for now). Perhaps if the government of Florida had been more cautious concerning reopening, the increased numbers of Covid-19 would not be occurring in the state at the present time.

To return to the OP’s question will Florida cruises start back up in August? Most likely not if the numbers we are seeing in a Florida continue on an upward trend.

From someone who has stayed the course since March,dealing with the threat of the virus and learning how to maneuver in such a situation, there is 0% chance that I would be interested in going to Florida to get on a cruise ship any time soon. YMMV

I was stunned to hear about the increases in Florida. I figured if we were opening that the rest of the country that hasn't been hit so hard would be better off than we are. I think in a few weeks once NYC is in phase 3 we will probably see numbers climbing again. I really thought Florida would be the place that cruising would start. I doubt very much that we will see anything sailing from NY NJ this year with the results I'm seeing from states that opened before us. This is really disappointing.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Just don't book an the Edmund Fitzgerald. On a more serious note, check out Victory Cruises. They do the Great Lakes. And Viking is shooting for 2022 to fo American river cruises and the great Lakes.

I have checked out Victory Lines web site before.  I have also looked at the Mississippi Cruises as well. Unfortunately I think I’d really go for the Viking Cruises, but at the age of 47 guests might think of me as crew. 

I really would like to win a trip on a Great Lakes freighter. An uncle of mine built them in the Collingwood Shipyards when they were still operational. My other Uncle was a photographer for the Shipyards.  Arial, interior photos and launch photos. He even got to be on the ship during it’s sideways launch.  As I kid I even got to tour one of the new freighters, when they had an opening to the public before she officially sailed. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Maybe RC can relocate a smaller ship, maybe Empress, up to the Great Lakes.

Depart from Detroit and experience Windsor's skyline like Venice, sail under the Blue Water Bridge similar to the Skyway Bridge, and experience the Soo Locks where you get your passport stamped for your distant port of call. It isn't the Panama Canal but you get the idea.  You can't disembark due to the border being closed but wave at those working the locks.

With stops in exotic ports like Bay City, Macinaw City, and spend the afternoon sailing the inside passage of Cockburn Island but honestly who wants to port there.

Your last port stop is in Whitefish Bay.  There you can tour the Great Lakes Ship Wreck Museum and learn about the Fitzgerald.  After that stop you have a "lake day", while you sail Superior.  Will it be a Poseidon like adventure?  Will your legend live on, on the big lake they called Gitche Gumee?  Just don't sail in November, when it is said that the lake never gives up her dead, when the skies of November turn gloomy.

You will disembark the beautiful Empress of the Seas in Duluth, after the lift bridge rises to welcome your arrival.  You will enjoy the traditional horn welcoming between the Empress and following response from the bridge, consisting of 1 long and 2 short from it's train horns.  

You will be Pinnacle before you know it.  I'd book it today too, if I knew it would go.

Turn on your volume and enjoy.

Thanks Gordon

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Correct me if I am misinformed, but I do not think that Florida had the Phase 1,2,3,4 strategy that New York and neighboring states have chosen as a re-opening protocol.

Were the number of people using a beach in Florida limited? Was mask wearing and social distancing part of a plan?  Were the number of customers in bars,restaurants and retail shops limited ? Did hair salons,barber shops,tattoo parlors and nail salons have to follow certain protocols for their businesses to operate ?

Here on Long Island, NY,we have recently been in Phase 2. The parking lot of a nearby State beach has limited parking,with every other spot marked with a traffic cone. Once the lot is full, beach goers are turned away. Our local town beaches are limited to resident permit only and capacity has been diminished.

In our township,there are signs posted that wearing a mask is necessary if social distancing of 6ft cannot be maintained. The amount of customers in retail stores,restaurants and bars are limited,with only outside dining being allowed. While hair salons and barber shops can be opened,certain protocols have been put in place such as no one in the waiting rooms, only hair services are allowed- no other beauty treatments can be offered. Tattoo parlors are not open.

Of course there is a concern that numbers of positive cases may happen given the protests of the past few weeks and more people coming out of their homes to return to work. However, data will be the deciding fact if Phase 3 occurs or if Phase 2 is rolled back.

It is this attention to the data for decisions about re-opening that has caused the NY numbers to be so low ( at least for now). Perhaps if the government of Florida had been more cautious concerning reopening, the increased numbers of Covid-19 would not be occurring in the state at the present time.

To return to the OP’s question will Florida cruises start back up in August? Most likely not if the numbers we are seeing in a Florida continue on an upward trend.

From someone who has stayed the course since March,dealing with the threat of the virus and learning how to maneuver in such a situation, there is 0% chance that I would be interested in going to Florida to get on a cruise ship any time soon. YMMV

Regarding opening beaches I’m surprised US hasnt implemented something similar to Spain.

cordoned off 6ft areas, special areas for over 70’s, capacity limited and once gets to a certain capacity you have to reserve a square.

The beaches here have looked like a free for all from what I have seen.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I agree there was just so much they could have done in relation to the protests and rioting. The people here are letting down their guard as well as things open up here. I'm not seeing social distancing or crowd control at the outdoor bars and restaurants. The tables are six feet apart but people are huddling between the gaps.  Retail in NYC opens next week. We will see what happens here. 

Unfortunately I’ve seen lack of distancing in indoor bars and restaurants as well. Some places have done a really good job of it others not so much.

26 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

Unfortunately I’ve seen lack of distancing in indoor bars and restaurants as well. Some places have done a really good job of it others not so much.

We went out to dinner a couple of times last week. Inside tables where 6' apart. But that didn't stop people walking between the tables to be brushing up against you or standing next to you as they were waiting to be seated or waiters serving the next table. 

And, obviously, no one at the tables had mask on. All enjoying themselves, having a bit too much to drink, talking loudly spreading their germs. 

It was a great meal!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Florida does have the Phase system we did limit restaurants to 25% access to beaches was limited most of the parking was closed hair salons bars and gyms were not allowed to open during phase 1 then came phase 2 opening bars hair salons and gyms, masks were not mandatory hence look at our cases now age group of most infected has moved from the 50 to 60 year old group to the 25-34 year old group  go figure the same age group that think wearing masks is infringing on there rights and going out to bars is a good idea. Everyone is saying its just the ramped up testing that is causing the spike maybe so , i work in the plumbing supply business at a busy counter we have been wearing masks from the beginning i would have to say 90% of the customers coming thru our building don't wear masks. My company has learned from what happened with our stores in NY as of monday anyone coming in our store will be required to wear a mask. Many cities here are finally getting the message that mask will help and some are mandating a mask while in public. There will be in my opinion no cruising from Florida until this is under control and from what i am seeing here thats not going to happen by August   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I have checked out Victory Lines web site before.  I have also looked at the Mississippi Cruises as well. Unfortunately I think I’d really go for the Viking Cruises, but at the age of 47 guests might think of me as crew. 

I really would like to win a trip on a Great Lakes freighter. An uncle of mine built them in the Collingwood Shipyards when they were still operational. My other Uncle was a photographer for the Shipyards.  Arial, interior photos and launch photos. He even got to be on the ship during it’s sideways launch.  As I kid I even got to tour one of the new freighters, when they had an opening to the public before she officially sailed. 

In Sault Ste Marie Michigan you can tour the Valley Camp freighter.  It's open to roam inside and out, and there is a museum of sorts.  Very nice way to get an inside look at one 🙂

On 6/19/2020 at 1:56 PM, deliver42 said:

I live in Florida, and once again it's becoming a laughing stock. We have a governor who's like Nero. He fiddles while the state burns in Covid-19. The people are no better. No masks, no social distancing. Forget August sailings, and it has nothing to do with the CDC.

A lot of people are not taking it seriously with wearing a mask and the social distancing, not to mention proper hand hygiene. This is the only way to have the virus under control and prevent new outbreaks. As it seems currently probably in countries like Italy and Spain people are much more caucious given on how badly they got hit, looking at the situation in the US you would also hope for more caution there too, unfortunately people do not learn, speaing on global level...Except for Asia, they are used wearing masks also from before 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

When I was a kid, my parents took us to Collingwood to watch a sideways launch.  It was spectacular!

Too bad they aren't building ships there anymore.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, island lady said:

Well I guess the OP got the official answer now to this thread.  😉 

Time to close this thread and open the “Will Cruising Start From Florida on September 16th?” thread.

mac_tlc

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Time to close this thread and open the “Will Cruising Start From Florida on September 16th?” thread.

mac_tlc

Yes and likely before this thread will be opened the answer is no,  guess "Will Cruising Start From Florida before the end of 2020?" be a better one and more valid 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Ugh, you picked the lyrics... at least M8 will now know them.  This has video, pics, news clips and communications mixed into it. There are also underwater clips of the ship after it was found years later. 

I will say kudos to you for knowing the song.  Many a beer has be consumed beside the fire listening to this song over the years.🙂

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

When I was a kid, my parents took us to Collingwood to watch a sideways launch.  It was spectacular!

Too bad they aren't building ships there anymore.

That would have been awesome.  I remember being at our cottage in the summer and hearing the ship yard horn blowing to signify the start and end of noon break for the workers. It was 5 days a week for years, but sadly no more. 

This is one of his photos that I found in a restaurant in the Collingwood area. 

8F93B439-0DC4-4A39-A2F9-4A394FD8A52F.thumb.jpeg.4594a613087e15ca65a27568b1fd5e31.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We went out to dinner a couple of times last week. Inside tables where 6' apart. But that didn't stop people walking between the tables to be brushing up against you or standing next to you as they were waiting to be seated or waiters serving the next table. 

And, obviously, no one at the tables had mask on. All enjoying themselves, having a bit too much to drink, talking loudly spreading their germs. 

It was a great meal!

We went out for a meal Thursday, thought we would beat the Father’s Day rush.

we luckily got a table with no one next to us but the other side of the restaurant there were 5 tables back to back that they had fully occupied. No where close to 6 feet distancing.

I agree most places doing well, but we have also done take out at restaurants that have bars and bars were not socially distancing.

Edited by Spurschick