Will Florida cruises start back up in August?

32 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

I think we may find out there is not a spike after what has been happening and we can all get back to normal, at least as far as coronavirus. My state started Phase 1 on April 24 and most things other than arenas / stadiums are open. There haven’t been any spikes in cases and most people no longer wear masks. If there is not a huge increase in cases over the next few weeks, cruises may be able to start sooner than any of us thought even a few days ago.

Dallas hit yet another record in positives yesterday but is on track for a record number of deaths this week. So there is some spiking here, not sure where you are

43 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

I think we may find out there is not a spike after what has been happening and we can all get back to normal, at least as far as coronavirus. My state started Phase 1 on April 24 and most things other than arenas / stadiums are open. There haven’t been any spikes in cases and most people no longer wear masks. If there is not a huge increase in cases over the next few weeks, cruises may be able to start sooner than any of us thought even a few days ago.

Florida has had spikes the last two days. 

4 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I don't want to turn this into a political discussion but have any of you been watching the news for the past 10 days?

Thousands of people have been shoulder-to-shoulder and so many have not been wearing masks.

We'll be lucky if there's any cruises in 2021 unless there's a vaccine.

The next few weeks should prove to be interesting... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

The next few weeks should prove to be interesting... 

Not to worry, the US media has apparently determined they are peaceful demonstrators who are immune and won't threaten society like those awful people hanging out at beaches.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

Media reports spikes.  But are they really spikes?  Florida is now testing thousands of people, and so the cases go up.....but they aren't going to hospitals....they are just  being sick and than moving on. If you test more, you get more positives.  But 2 months ago, no testing, so all those thousands of mild cases went unnoticed.  Got sick, stayed home, and moved on.  Spikes are due to testing, not new cases.  It's important to test, but don't buy into the media that wants everyone that the wave is coming. 

Florida is open for business.  Yes, with some restrictions, but it is open.  Ships will be sailing from Florida sooner than later. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Media reports spikes.  But are they really spikes?  Florida is now testing thousands of people, and so the cases go up.....but they aren't going to hospitals....they are just  being sick and than moving on. If you test more, you get more positives.  But 2 months ago, no testing, so all those thousands of mild cases went unnoticed.  Got sick, stayed home, and moved on.  Spikes are due to testing, not new cases.  It's important to test, but don't buy into the media that wants everyone that the wave is coming. 

Florida is open for business.  Yes, with some restrictions, but it is open.  Ships will be sailing from Florida sooner than later. 

Your reasoning doesn't explain states that are testing more yet seeing fewer new cases (like New York, New Jersey, Illinois).

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

And you're saying because of this RCI is OK to sail to the Bahamas. And what Bahamas only cruises are scheduled to sail there...and when? 

Yes.  Bahamas is opening the island to tourism.   The ship sales under the regulations of Bahamas.  Mariner of the seas go  back and forth from PC to the Bahamas.  If they are allowed to sail from the USA, than one of the first ships will be the short cruises to the Bahamas.  RCCL has Bahamas only cruises.  Also the Bahamas Paradise is scheduled to start service. 

RCCL is not just going to turn on a switch, and all ships sail.  However, there are some more logical starting points, and one of them is PC to Bahamas.  Plus, the Asian cruises will start prior the USA start date.

So it will start slowly and build up based on different markets and rules.  It is not all or nothing, but various start ups as it is allowed.

6 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I don't want to turn this into a political discussion but have any of you been watching the news for the past 10 days?

Thousands of people have been shoulder-to-shoulder and so many have not been wearing masks.

That's the thing. People were tired of hearing the "social distancing" crap and ready to move on with their lives. So now they have all these riots to keep people on lockdown again with curfews. We shall see in 2 weeks if there are spikes from all these gatherings. I'm betting not.

32 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Your reasoning doesn't explain states that are testing more yet seeing fewer new cases (like New York, New Jersey, Illinois).

Florida is using "positive percentage rate" and was way below other states in testing.  You can argue all day, but in the end, the numbers are not growing and the positive rate is flat.  Once you get to a low number in the percentage rate, you really can't go down, but you can remain flat.  A two day "spike" does not paint any picture in statistics.  However, the media jumps on it.  Stay calm, watch the long term trends, and start packing for August

Edited by Joseph2017China
spelling
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Florida is using "positive percentage rate" and was way below other states in testing.  You can argue all day, but in the end, the numbers are not growing and the positive rate is flat.  Once you get to a low number in the percentage rate, you really can't go down, but you can remain flat.  A two day "spike" does not paint any picture in statistics.  However, the media jumps on it.  Stay calm, watch the long term trends, and start packing for August

It's not just a two day spike.  It's been trending up since mid-May.  It's anything but flat.

Yes, they'll be sailing in August.  The CDC is just waiting for the State of Florida to tell them what to say.

Universal Orlando reopens to all guests today (June 5) and SeaWorld Orlando opens June 11, Walt Disney World next month (what the heck is taking them so long!?!?).

A half-full cruise ship is the same as a half full theme park.  Lines, dining, shows, hoteling...all the same.  Interacting with the same infected person 5 times is the same as interacting with 5 different infected people.

All the guidance and procedures between the cruise lines and resorts will be nearly indistinguishable.

The situation in Florida was never even close to the predicted scenarios.  There's plenty of capacity in the hospital system, we're ready.

4 hours ago, rt1092 said:

I just heard from a Headliner they want him back for Aug 1, 2020. I doubt Royal is paying him to entertain crew. 

Other than the skeleton maintenance people, there likely won't be any crew on the ships in August.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Other than the skeleton maintenance people, there likely won't be any crew on the ships in August.

what are you basing that on given rt1092 said that a headliner they know are back on aug 1?

From what I have seen here in the DC area the protesters have been wearing masks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Yes.  Bahamas is opening the island to tourism.   The ship sales under the regulations of Bahamas.  Mariner of the seas go  back and forth from PC to the Bahamas.  If they are allowed to sail from the USA, than one of the first ships will be the short cruises to the Bahamas.  RCCL has Bahamas only cruises.  Also the Bahamas Paradise is scheduled to start service. 

RCCL is not just going to turn on a switch, and all ships sail.  However, there are some more logical starting points, and one of them is PC to Bahamas.  Plus, the Asian cruises will start prior the USA start date.

So it will start slowly and build up based on different markets and rules.  It is not all or nothing, but various start ups as it is allowed.

That may be partially accurate, but I doubt it has anything to do with Royals flag of convenience

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Most of Florida is open. Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach County are still not opened up. Last I checked, two big ports are in these areas. Makes Port Canaveral sure look like a starting point. 

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Most of Florida is open. Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach County are still not opened up. Last I checked, two big ports are in these areas. Makes Port Canaveral sure look like a starting point. 

Bahama Paradise plans to sail from Palm Beach upon expiration of CDC no sail order (7/25).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

Universal Orlando reopens to all guests today (June 5) and SeaWorld Orlando opens June 11, Walt Disney World next month (what the heck is taking them so long!?!?).

With restrictions. Capacity control, masks, and social distancing. Disney plan is no waiting in line. Rides and attractions will be reserved from the My Disney App. 

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

He's usually fairly accurate

I agree. Matt puts lot of time and effort Into validating stuff before he just posts it. 

mac_tlc

• Like 5

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

Yes, they'll be sailing in August.  The CDC is just waiting for the State of Florida to tell them what to say.

A half-full cruise ship is the same as a half full theme park.  Lines, dining, shows, hoteling...all the same.  Interacting with the same infected person 5 times is the same as interacting with 5 different infected people.

All the guidance and procedures between the cruise lines and resorts will be nearly indistinguishable.

The situation in Florida was never even close to the predicted scenarios.  There's plenty of capacity in the hospital system, we're ready.

The state of Florida isn't going to  tell  the CDC what to do or when to do it. 

• Like 1