Will Florida cruises start back up in August?

I am very positive person and like to think and hope that we will be sailing on our Oct and dec cruises this year.  

I came across articles on cruise hive that aida has cancelled all cruises to/from canada and us ports till 2021

MSC has cancelled several 2021 caribbean.  Odd that went that far out in their announcement.

I think if someone could come up with more specific information the thread might have more value.

Like the guy with a friend called back to be ready to work, that's the closest specific.

Which ports are allowing cruise ships to dock. Kind of crucial info ... 99% of the rest is peoples guesses

I sure hope for something more factual soon.

4 hours ago, pcur said:

Here's the latest from today.  North America is in blue, and that huge upswing on the right is  new cases from May 1st until yesterday.  Source CNN.

200605154318-20200605-corona-new-cases-card-grey-medium-tease.png

So what?  IF it's a meaningful graph (you posted something with no numbers/dates etc) it's because they're doing more testing and more people who aren't very sick and don't need hospitalization are showing up positive.  It's probably good news.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

So what?  IF it's a meaningful graph (you posted something with no numbers/dates etc) it's because they're doing more testing and more people who aren't very sick and don't need hospitalization are showing up positive.  It's probably good news.

I dont know I'd call it good news. Someone posted Broward and dade counties also spiking.

We set our 3rd record for number of cases this week and while you can explain that away with more testing we will also set a record for the number of covid deaths in a week. Cant call deaths good news if they are increasing. I'm just crossing my fingers cdc takes a average and ignores hotspots. I'm ready to cruise. 

20200605_212207732.jpeg

15 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Oh goodie!!  So if something goes wrong and there is a major outbreak on a ship and/or resulting infections/deaths shoreside we can blame it on DeSantis and the "other Florida resident"?  Do you really think that the cruise lines are going to reopen unsafely and without regard to CDC precautions because DeSantis and the "other Florida resident" order them to?   What utter nonsense (and I'm trying to be gentle with my word choice here).

No need to be gentle. I said the CDC will align it's guidance with what the State of Florida wants.  Sorry, that's the reality.  The CDC is not an on-the-ground agency, that's the job of the state and local departments.  Florida is opening our theme parks and resorts with nary a peep from the CDC because we already have all the advice we need.

Not even the professional bureaucrats with a some medical experience in Atlanta will be able to explain why a few days at Universal is perfectly fine, just wear a face covering and wash you hands, but a few days on a cruise ship are dangerously reckless and probably lethal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Yes, I can see the chart I posted can include more testing, and show the rise in COVID19 positive results:  meaning more people potentially getting sick/dying.

The followiong statement is from Florida Headline News Radio from a week ago, 5/30/20.  Shows more specifics about the trend in FL.  To the rest of us non-Floridians, it's a warning that it might not be a good time to go cruising out of a Florida port. 

According to the CDC, it's all about exposure:  the more exposure, the higher the possibility of becoming infected.  So, traveling to, and sailing from a state that has an increase in the illness, is not such a good idea, IMO:

Across the state, the cumulative hospitalizations from the coronavirus pandemic are now up to 10,113, after adding 131 compared to Friday’s report.

In its Saturday update, the department reported 55,424 cases in the state, 927 more than reported 24 hours earlier. The state’s positive test rate in lab results received Friday rose to 8.33 percent, the highest rate since May 12.

The department now lists 2,447 deaths statewide, or 34 more than yesterday’s report.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

No need to be gentle. I said the CDC will align it's guidance with what the State of Florida wants.  Sorry, that's the reality.  The CDC is not an on-the-ground agency, that's the job of the state and local departments.  Florida is opening our theme parks and resorts with nary a peep from the CDC because we already have all the advice we need.

Not even the professional bureaucrats with a some medical experience in Atlanta will be able to explain why a few days at Universal is perfectly fine, just wear a face covering and wash you hands, but a few days on a cruise ship are dangerously reckless and probably lethal.

Your claims about what the CDC will or will not do to "align" its guidance with Florida state regulators is just supposition and your opinion.   It remains to be seen if opening theme parks will end up being "fine". Universal just opened up yesterday, with very low attendance.  Disney doesn't open until July.   These are very different experiences from crowds of people on a cruise ship.  Encounters with other theme park guests are limited and not repetitive in nature.  Theme park guests do not spend several days together in close quarters with other guests and staff.  Any CDC requirements for reopening cruising will reflect that difference.  Just the reality.

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 2

According to the CDC, it's all about exposure:  the more exposure, the higher the possibility of becoming infected.  So, traveling to, and sailing from a state that has an increase in the illness, is not such a good idea, IMO:

It will be interesting to see the trends over the next two weeks. It could be considered a test with Floridians as the lab rats. Here in the DMV we have our own test going on. All the indoor venues are still closed but there is mass outdoor activity. Today will be a big day. Most participants are wearing masks but social distance is not 6 feet. Lots of shouting too. Hopefully we will find that the virus does not transmit easily outdoors in the sun and air.

10 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

These are very different experiences from crowds of people on a cruise ship.  Encounters with other theme park guests are limited and not repetitive in nature.  Theme park guests do not spend several days together in close quarters with other guests and staff.  Any CDC requirements for reopening cruising will reflect that difference.  Just the reality.

I recommend you spend more time in theme parks.  I routinely encounter the same people in a park.  There's also people I see only once on a cruise.

Also, if x% are infected, it doesn't matter if you interact with the same or different x%.  The cruise lines are already ahead of the parks because they already have sanitation protocols, that's all new for the parks.  All the cruise lines need to do is copy/paste the face covering and social distancing guidance and they're good to go.

• Like 1

based on current situation the start up if it will happen at all in August would only be Europe (1-2 ships)  and possibly China. The US will not follow before September / October earliest and then likely as metnioned already earlier in this thread some shorter cruises out of FL to the Bahamas.

1 minute ago, boatseller said:

I recommend you spend more time in theme parks.  I routinely encounter the same people in a park.  There's also people I see only once on a cruise.

Also, if x% are infected, it doesn't matter if you interact with the same or different x%.  The cruise lines are already ahead of the parks because they already have sanitation protocols, that's all new for the parks.  All the cruise lines need to do is copy/paste the face covering and social distancing guidance and they're good to go.

I live in Florida and have spent a great deal of time at Disney parks and at Sea World.  I haven't routinely encountered the same people in a park like I have on a cruise line.      

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

There is a thread on the NCL board where a poster indicated that he has a friend who works on cruise ship engines.  He said his friend has been called up  and will be, for the next 90 days working on various ships testing engines and getting them ready.  His remarks were embedded within a long thread like this one and I can't find it now but maybe @graphicguywill chime in.

I personally don't believe the article that says the CDC hasn't begun to look at cruise ship plans for start up.  I just don't think that's true.  With so much of the rest of society coming back to life (rightly or wrongly) I just can't believe they haven't looked at the plans and started discussing them.  I believe some ships will sail in August.  The Bahamas will receive tourists beginning in July and other parts of the Caribbean are opening in June.  

If it were me, I'd mentally prepare for a cancellation but hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Yes...I have a friend who works for GE.  GE provides the engines for a number of cruise ships.  He was furloughed right after the cruises cancelled sailings.  He was called back last week.

He inspects and prepares for proper operation and maintenance of those engines as GE is contracted to do.

He started back last week.  He mentioned he’ll be hopping from ship to ship for the next 90 days getting them ready to sail again.  I know he was on a Celebrity ship earlier this week and was heading to another yesterday, don’t know which one, though.

He mentioned he’s working on Celebrity and Royal, but also mentioned NCL.  But, someone said NCL doesn’t use GE engines.  So, not sure what he’s going to be doing for them.

I texted him about it yesterday, but haven’t heard back.  Cell and internet service is just as spotty for him as it is for us as passengers.  If I hear back, I’ll let everyone here know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:
23 hours ago, AC Stew said:

rt1092: You mentioned that you'd heard of a Headliner being asked to return on August 01. If it isn't betraying a confidence, can you divulge that name? Or perhaps just the initials? Thanks.

W.T.F.

Merion_Mom: While I follow these threads, I rarely post, except when I'm seeking specific information or participating in Roll Calls. But I've always found your many comments to be interesting and informative. So I was confused to read your response above. When rt1092 stated that he knew of a headliner being given a call back date, I was intrigued. We do have a couple of favourites, and so of course, I was curious. Besides, we're all looking for any kind of positive news, aren't we?

Unless I'm missing something, or misinterpreting, your response of "W.T.F" is inexplicably harsh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AC Stew said:

Merion_Mom: While I follow these threads, I rarely post, except when I'm seeking specific information or participating in Roll Calls. But I've always found your many comments to be interesting and informative. So I was confused to read your response above. When rt1092 stated that he knew of a headliner being given a call back date, I was intrigued. We do have a couple of favourites, and so of course, I was curious. Besides, we're all looking for any kind of positive news, aren't we?

Unless I'm missing something, or misinterpreting, your response of "W.T.F" is inexplicably harsh.

Maybe sarcasm, humor. My first reaction was oh yea I know him, my brother in law and to be funny back.

Sometimes something meant to be funny gets lost here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Yes...I have a friend who works for GE.  GE provides the engines for a number of cruise ships.  He was furloughed right after the cruises cancelled sailings.  He was called back last week.

He inspects and prepares for proper operation and maintenance of those engines as GE is contracted to do.

He started back last week.  He mentioned he’ll be hopping from ship to ship for the next 90 days getting them ready to sail again.  I know he was on a Celebrity ship earlier this week and was heading to another yesterday, don’t know which one, though.

He mentioned he’s working on Celebrity and Royal, but also mentioned NCL.  But, someone said NCL doesn’t use GE engines.  So, not sure what he’s going to be doing for them.

I texted him about it yesterday, but haven’t heard back.  Cell and internet service is just as spotty for him as it is for us as passengers.  If I hear back, I’ll let everyone here know.

😘😘😘😘

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Maybe sarcasm, humor. My first reaction was oh yea I know him, my brother in law and to be funny back.

Sometimes something meant to be funny gets lost here.

Thanks, firefly. Yes, meant to be humorous. 

Those are the initials that keep coming up all the time these days. 😊

• Like 3

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks, Graphicguy.  Didn't mean to put you on the spot but this is some of the most positive news I've seen lately.  Appreciate you sharing!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

On 6/5/2020 at 4:39 PM, pcur said:

Here's the latest from today.  North America is in blue, and that huge upswing on the right is  new cases from May 1st until yesterday.  Source CNN.

200605154318-20200605-corona-new-cases-card-grey-medium-tease.png

I think you have your Americas mixed up.  North America is green and is fairly stable if not on the slight decline.  It's South America in light blue that's seeing the surge.  Other continents are Asia in red, Europe in dark blue, and Africa in yellow.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, timf2001 said:

I think you have your Americas mixed up.  North America is green and is fairly stable if not on the slight decline.  It's South America in light blue that's seeing the surge.  Other continents are Asia in red, Europe in dark blue, and Africa in yellow.

You're right.  Now the chart flips So America/Caribbean with No America.  My bad.

The latest chart for FL is still showing a pretty steep climb in recent weeks.  I prefer this page to check what's going on in the US, but the individual state charts can't be copied and pasted:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-us-maps-and-cases/

image.thumb.png.ffa963a94e67f123d5d1aa849d841126.png

OK Merion_Mom ... got it. I've been known to drop that f bomb myself. Although, I suspect that the dozens of unemployed cruiselines' Headliners and hundreds of musicians, dancers, singers, etc., wouldn't be amused.  I can only hope that (as quoted), the suggested August 01 callback date might have an element of truth.