Will Florida cruises start back up in August?

3 hours ago, MrsKC08 said:

That's the thing. People were tired of hearing the "social distancing" crap and ready to move on with their lives. So now they have all these riots to keep people on lockdown again with curfews. We shall see in 2 weeks if there are spikes from all these gatherings. I'm betting not.

Not crap.  Very serious.  Those people who do not respect social distancing, might be lucky and not get Covid.  However, they might carry to family and friends who are vulnerable to Covid.  I am also not happy to say the least, about being quarantined for so long, but I do not want to be responsible for other peoples deaths and illness.  

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

There is a video out today of Richard Fain saying they are going to start bringing staff back to the office.

For the most part, I believe the majority are staff that were sent home to work instead of the office. They are coming back to the office. 

16 minutes ago, molly361 said:

So what is the answer sailing in August yes or no?  Maybe we need a poll

It seems like a solid "we'll see".  Even Carnival has walked back their Aug 1st start date.  Scroll down about half-way thru the article interview with Carinval CEO Arnold Donald.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5366/

""It wasn't a pronouncement that we were going to come back August 1," he said. "We're waiting to see how things evolve and develop."

"So if August 1 isn't the official return date, what is? "The world is going to tell us," Donald said. "Destinations are going to open when they decide to open. It's not going to be us telling them. The things that are going to drive that is the citizens' relative appetite for risk and the extent to which they've experience COVID-19. … We'll just have to see where it goes, but the destinations are going to rule the day."

One positive is that bookings jumped after the Aug 1st announcement. So the demand is there.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MrsKC08 said:

That's the thing. People were tired of hearing the "social distancing" crap and ready to move on with their lives. So now they have all these riots to keep people on lockdown again with curfews. We shall see in 2 weeks if there are spikes from all these gatherings. I'm betting not.

If you look at the data, there was a spike 2 weeks after Mother's Day and another one is happening now, two weeks after Memorial Day. Your dislike of social distancing doesn't negate the fact it is useful in decreasing the spread of disease. Not only are the current groups not social distancing, they are not wearing masks, and their yelling will be effective in spreading virus.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

If you look at the data, there was a spike 2 weeks after Mother's Day and another one is happening now, two weeks after Memorial Day. Your dislike of social distancing doesn't negate the fact it is useful in decreasing the spread of disease. Not only are the current groups not social distancing, they are not wearing masks, and their yelling will be effective in spreading virus.

I do quite a bit of research, and the fact remains that is is pretty flat. There are always peaks after the weekend because of when the data is published/posted. There have also been many reports about backlogs of tests being cleared (someone else on this board mentioned it too, so there are others doing their true research as well). The numbers of those hospitalized as well as the deaths are down. To me, that's a positive sign. 

Businesses are opening up. Amusement parks are opening up. Sporting events are opening up (little leagues, junior and pee wee sports) as well as cheer leading camps are starting to open up. There is quite a lot of research out there for anyone interested instead of what they see on mainstream media outlets. Everyone is going to have an opinion about it. We've seen this all over these boards, as well as other social media outlets. It seems as though the majority of folks are ready to get back to some sort of normal, or a new sort of normal.

This is direct from CDC. FYI, week 21 is week ending 5/23/20.

image.png.c15cc7b642d3c4a43e1612f7190f84d8.png

image.png.84ab8c4c224de7a01c7792d1c7240668.png

This data was updated on 5/29/20 and new data will be posted later today that will include the Memorial Day holiday. It's also important to note that the numbers above for mortality include pneumonia and influenza and not just Covid.

Just as I was finishing this, I went back to check and here is the updated data...definite decrease.

image.thumb.png.1f2be2ec6606eab4a62dbfa5734c80e4.png

Edited by MrsKC08

2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

The state of Florida isn't going to  tell  the CDC what to do or when to do it. 

The reality is Gov DeSantis through his terrific relationship with another Florida resident will be setting the rules.  All totally legit by the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AC Stew said:

rt1092: You mentioned that you'd heard of a Headliner being asked to return on August 01. If it isn't betraying a confidence, can you divulge that name? Or perhaps just the initials? Thanks.

W.T.F.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

Also there is a general upward trend in Florida cases since mid-May.

The reality is Gov DeSantis through his terrific relationship with another Florida resident will be setting the rules.  All totally legit by the way.

That is silly. The CDC will set the rules. DeSantis may have influence in the White House and it certainly is possible there may be pressure on the CDC. I hope the CDC makes its decisions based on science and not from political pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

Oh goodie!!  So if something goes wrong and there is a major outbreak on a ship and/or resulting infections/deaths shoreside we can blame it on DeSantis and the "other Florida resident"?  Do you really think that the cruise lines are going to reopen unsafely and without regard to CDC precautions because DeSantis and the "other Florida resident" order them to?   What utter nonsense (and I'm trying to be gentle with my word choice here).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's the latest from today.  North America is in blue, and that huge upswing on the right is  new cases from May 1st until yesterday.  Source CNN.

200605154318-20200605-corona-new-cases-card-grey-medium-tease.png

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a thread on the NCL board where a poster indicated that he has a friend who works on cruise ship engines.  He said his friend has been called up  and will be, for the next 90 days working on various ships testing engines and getting them ready.  His remarks were embedded within a long thread like this one and I can't find it now but maybe @graphicguywill chime in.

I personally don't believe the article that says the CDC hasn't begun to look at cruise ship plans for start up.  I just don't think that's true.  With so much of the rest of society coming back to life (rightly or wrongly) I just can't believe they haven't looked at the plans and started discussing them.  I believe some ships will sail in August.  The Bahamas will receive tourists beginning in July and other parts of the Caribbean are opening in June.  

If it were me, I'd mentally prepare for a cancellation but hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Is mexico/cozumel open yet for cruise ships. 

I'm out of Galveston and dont go to Bahamas so doesnt help me if they are open. 

Anyone have a list of ports open, or not open starting August 1st? I know caymans closed until sept 1st, but dont know other ports. Tia

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Is mexico/cozumel open yet for cruise ships. 

I'm out of Galveston and dont go to Bahamas so doesnt help me if they are open. 

Anyone have a list of ports open, or not open starting August 1st? I know caymans closed until sept 1st, but dont know other ports. Tia

Here's an article that may help.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/destinations/when-can-you-travel-to-the-caribbean-again.html

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well I dont think I'm going to the Caribbean until next feb. Thanks

Just mexico, maybe another stop in mexico or belize or roatan. That says mexico border is open. I wonder if that means it's open to cruise ships

Mexico and the United States agreed in March to close the borders between the two countries until May 20. That’s Wednesday. Mexico has said it will lift current domestic travel restrictions in the country by May 30,

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Just mexico, maybe another stop in mexico or belize or roatan. That says mexico border is open. I wonder if that means it's open to cruise ships

Mexico and the United States agreed in March to close the borders between the two countries until May 20. That’s Wednesday. Mexico has said it will lift current domestic travel restrictions in the country by May 30,

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Mexico and the United States agreed in March to close the borders between the two countries until May 20. That’s Wednesday. Mexico has said it will lift current domestic travel restrictions in the country by May 30,

I’m hoping that openings in the Caribbean for land vacays will lead the way for cruises. 

Tried to edit duplicate post from phone but it wouldn’t cooperate. Apologies. 

8 hours ago, AC Stew said:

rt1092: You mentioned that you'd heard of a Headliner being asked to return on August 01. If it isn't betraying a confidence, can you divulge that name? Or perhaps just the initials? Thanks.

No.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

But you’re must admit that he is VERY PRO Royal. 

True, but it is the Royal Caribbean blog, not the Carnival blog or Princess blog or .......

• Like 2