When will things start back up?

KS&JW

44 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I can tell you from information coming from my friends who live in Japan that likely none of the pax or crew were vaccinated. Japan is running very slow in getting their citizens jabbed, they just started last month.  Only 1.1% of the population has been vaccinated so far, all the very elderly only.

There are growing calls for the Olympics to be cancelled.

Both from a safety aspect, and an inequality aspect due to some countries unable to attend.

10 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

With Marina due to sail in about 3 1/2 months and currently in Italy, it will be interesting to see where they source their crew from for this start up.

I can't figure out why the first Marina sailings will be in the Baltic, especially since the ship is in Italy. She will sail to Copenhagen empty, do 2 Baltic cruises in September, then sail back to the Med to Venice to sail Med cruises in October and November before heading for Miami Nov. 9. before sailing to South America for the winter. Logistically, this doesn't make sense to me, someone at oceania must think this makes sense. The southern European countries are announcing opening their borders earlier than the northern European countries. Maybe Oceania knows something we don't.

Marina was supposed to have been refurbished this May before the summer 2021 Baltic season commenced. Is this going to happen still or are those plans on hold? She is in La Spezia, Italy, is that the ship building yard?

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

I can tell you from information coming from my friends who live in Japan that likely none of the pax or crew were vaccinated. Japan is running very slow in getting their citizens jabbed, they just started last month.  Only 1.1% of the population has been vaccinated so far, all the very elderly only.

How can they hope to host the Olympics this summer with such stats?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I can't figure out why the first Marina sailings will be in the Baltic, especially since the ship is in Italy. She will sail to Copenhagen empty, do 2 Baltic cruises in September, then sail back to the Med to Venice to sail Med cruises in October and November before heading for Miami Nov. 9. before sailing to South America for the winter. Logistically, this doesn't make sense to me, someone at oceania must think this makes sense. The southern European countries are announcing opening their borders earlier than the northern European countries. Maybe Oceania knows something we don't.

Marina was supposed to have been refurbished this May before the summer 2021 Baltic season commenced. Is this going to happen still or are those plans on hold? She is in La Spezia, Italy, is that the ship building yard?

Have you heard of marketing?

I would say that the Marina was chosen to sail in late August so that Oceania could show having a ship in operation BEFORE they attempt to start selling 2023 cruises in September. A number of people may not choose to give more money to a cruise line that hasn’t sailed in 18 months! 

No one knows yet what the CDC is going to do about cruises in US waters. So starting up the Riveria and Sirena just to face an early shutdown when they are scheduled to return here for the winter was impractical. The Regatta’s schedule has been dead in the water for months. I doubt that the Insignia will go before the ATW.

That leaves the Marina and the Nautica. The Nautica might well get the next nod. Or not. After it passes through the Suez canal in late November and putzes around Dubai in December, then comes South Africa and then India for a combined couple of months. If by August that itinerary still looks bleak,  the Nautica might not sail for months or maybe not until next Spring back in the Med.

So there you are. Praying the CDC does something constructive, which isn’t in their nature. The Marina only has one touch in Miami currently scheduled. NCL can always arrange for that disembarkment/embarkment to be done elsewhere and continue on to South America.

21 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Have you heard of marketing?

I would say that the Marina was chosen to sail in late August so that Oceania could show having a ship in operation BEFORE they attempt to start selling 2023 cruises in September. A number of people may not choose to give more money to a cruise line that hasn’t sailed in 18 months! 

No one knows yet what the CDC is going to do about cruises in US waters. So starting up the Riveria and Sirena just to face an early shutdown when they are scheduled to return here for the winter was impractical. The Regatta’s schedule has been dead in the water for months. I doubt that the Insignia will go before the ATW.

I get that about starting up one of the ships just to get a cruise started, it is the itinerary I question. Why not use Marina for Med cruises? Those would probably sell better than Baltic anyways. The weather is better in the Med in September.

As to Sirena, she is also in Italy and her first scheduled cruise is out of London Oct. 15, to Barbados. So at some point she will sail empty from La Spezia, Italy to London for a transatlantic. and do Caribbean cruises from Barbados and Miami though the winter. The original CDC no sail order from last year is due to expire Nov. 1, the TSA mask mandate expires Sept. 13. As long as the summer cruises go well I can't imagine the CDC extending the no sail order any longer. But anything is possible with the current regime in Washington.

Edited by susiesan
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I get that about starting up one of the ships just to get a cruise started, it is the itinerary I question. Why not use Marina for Med cruises? Those would probably sell better than Baltic anyways. The weather is better in the Med in September.

As to Sirena, she is also in Italy and her first scheduled cruise is out of London Oct. 15, to Barbados. So at some point she will sail empty from La Spezia, Italy to London for a transatlantic. and do Caribbean cruises from Barbados and Miami though the winter. The original CDC no sail order from last year is due to expire Nov. 1, the TSA mask mandate expires Sept. 13. As long as the summer cruises go well I can't imagine the CDC extending the no sail order any longer. But anything is possible with the current regime in Washington.

Your suggestion for Med cruises would entail cancellation of all those scheduled Baltic cruises and then planning for, scheduling, and selling a new group of cruises . Oceania’s current plan is far more simple and straightforward. Marina will resume operations on 8/29 and continue on with her currently scheduled itinerary. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

What type of vaccination verification do you think the 9 countries on the first itinerary will require ?

Haven’t a clue about Russia. One might reasonably assume that all of the EU countries will be following the same full vaccination policy for visitors verified with a tbd system.

The team whose job it is to coordinate this has quite a task in front of them.

Many nationalities onboard, using various recording systems, and various vaccines for both passengers and crew.

Combine that with EU and non EU rules.

Quite a task, but an important one in order to chart a course (pun intended) on restarting global travel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

How can they hope to host the Olympics this summer with such stats?

I don't think they're allowing any spectators. Only athletes and supporting cast. 

My TA is optimistic that the Transatlantic cruises will go forward because the ship that are in the Mediterranean need to be repositioned for the Caribbean season. She is booked on one in November, as are we since our September LA RT was canceled, perhaps prematurely.

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Haven’t a clue about Russia. One might reasonably assume that all of the EU countries will be following the same full vaccination policy for visitors verified with a tbd system.

Being docked in Russia for 2-3 days is the highlight of a Baltic cruise. If Marina wasn't allowed to go where do you think she might stop for those 2 days?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Being docked in Russia for 2-3 days is the highlight of a Baltic cruise. If Marina wasn't allowed to go where do you think she might stop for those 2 days?

We're booked on one of those for 9/22. If SPB is canceled then we will also.

11 hours ago, susiesan said:

You need to immediately cancel this cruise. It’s causing you so much angst and distress it’s clearly not worth it. It is impossible to address every possible situation that might occur even in the best of times. These aren’t the best of times. Cancel, forget it, and enjoy Nambia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

You need to immediately cancel this cruise. It’s causing you so much angst and distress it’s clearly not worth it. It is impossible to address every possible situation that might occur even in the best of times. These aren’t the best of times. Cancel, forget it, and enjoy Nambia.

I cancelled yesterday.  There is a waiting list for my cabin 8086 which should be back in inventory.

I am now cancelling my award flights and pre and post cruise hotels. I heard from the safari operator in Namibia that our tour will be private now as no one else is booked.

I also took a chance and booked Sirena Dec. 12, 10 nights Caribbean from Miami. The price was just too good to pass up.

• Like 1

My wife and I have decided that if the cruise lines must adhere to the latest CDC cruising guidelines (totally absurd) we have no interest in cruising anymore. We love cruising and had planned on several Regent or Oceania cruises in the near future, however...

The CDC is being so incredibly unfair toward the cruise industry compared  to all the other venues it is nothing short of criminal. I hope the boards of all the cruise lines get together and sue the living crap out of the CDC and or US government for economic discrimination, etc.!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Erndog72 said:

My wife and I have decided that if the cruise lines must adhere to the latest CDC cruising guidelines (totally absurd) we have no interest in cruising anymore. We love cruising and had planned on several Regent or Oceania cruises in the near future, however...

The CDC is being so incredibly unfair toward the cruise industry compared  to all the other venues it is nothing short of criminal. I hope the boards of all the cruise lines get together and sue the living crap out of the CDC and or US government for economic discrimination, etc.!

Book cruises on Oceania and Regent that are in Europe, Iceland, etc....we are booked on Marina departing from Venice on 09NOV.....ends in Miami but that is an easy work around for Oceania - we can disembark in the Bahamas!   CDC does not have control over cruises that do not involve US ports....

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, ORV said:

Is Regatta still in Astoria or has it gone elsewhere?

She left awhile ago and headed South down the Pacific coast...according to cruise ship tracker, she is in the bay in Acapulco - Track Regatta's Current Position / Location - Regatta Cruise Ship Tracker - Oceania Cruises - CRUISIN

Edited by basor

12 minutes ago, mountain grandma said:

How is that possible when they must stop in a foreign port and Canada is still closed?

Billie

The US  Government is signing an order to bypass Canadian stops  for this season  so  Alaska   will make some $$ off the cruise ships

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6136/

also saw this announcement

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/05/05/cruise-company-offers-10-million-in-humanitarian-relief-to-alaskas-port-towns/

26 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

The US  Government is signing an order to bypass Canadian stops  for this season  so  Alaska   will make some $$ off the cruise ships

also saw this announcement

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/05/05/cruise-company-offers-10-million-in-humanitarian-relief-to-alaskas-port-towns/

Thanks, Lyn.  Great news for Alaska!

41 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It's not an order, it's a bill that has passed both houses of Congress but still has to be signed by President Biden to become law. Nothing has been formally stated that he will, although that is  expected because the bill had bipartisan support.