When will things start back up?

KS&JW

15 minutes ago, clo said:

My husband's back doctor told him a few years ago "no more moguls." He wasn't heart broken. He's 76 and has a history of yuck-back.

Usually it is the knees. My girlfriend early 60's just got hit by an out of control skier last month. A terrible leg fracture and surgery to correct.  It was so bad she will probably be in different cast/boots and PT for close to six months. Life does have it's risks. I would hang up my skis after what she is going thru.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Our Deacon, who was unable to preach yesterday because he has shingles, would be glad to hear that.

Well, he may have it but he didn't catch it:

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles.

I feel sorry for him as shingles can be very painful.

Edited by Paulchili

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles.

My neighbor and her family all caught Covid. A month later she had the shingles. The shingles was worse than the Covid she told me. Excruciating pain, apparently. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Our Deacon, who was unable to preach yesterday because he has shingles, would be glad to hear that.

I think this is what Paul was referring to.  "People get shingles when the varicella zoster virus, which causes chickenpox, reactivates in their bodies after they have already had chickenpox."

If you have shingles, direct contact with the fluid from your rash blisters can spread VZV to "people who have never had chickenpox or never received the chickenpox vaccine. If they get infected, they will develop chickenpox, not shingles. They could then develop shingles later in life."

These quotes are taken from:

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/transmission.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

My neighbor and her family all caught Covid. A month later she had the shingles. The shingles was worse than the Covid she told me. Excruciating pain, apparently. 

All true but the important difference is that shingles are not deadly - COVID, OTOH,  has been deadly to millions of people all over the world.

Best not to get either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

If you have shingles, direct contact with the fluid from your rash blisters can spread VZV to "people who have never had chickenpox or never received the chickenpox vaccine. If they get infected, they will develop chickenpox, not shingles. They could then develop shingles later in life."

Thank you for adding that further detail.

Edited by Paulchili

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

All true but the important difference is that shingles are not deadly - COVID, OTOH,  has been deadly to millions of people all over the world.

Best not to get either.

We can both heartily agree on that one. xoxo

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ORV said:

Somehow I doubt our friend Ernie has his vaccination. 

Oh, just take a pick, really, where I live they have cancelled the mask mandates and allowed restaurants to go back to 100%. I live in a tourist area that gets about 10 million visitors a year and it's back fully open for business. They come from all over the midwest and south and revel in not having to wear a mask. They just elected a new mayor that ran on ending the mask mandate, and he did, a month early. That was his main platform. We love our freedom and lack of government control around here. 

WOW   maybe some day we will get to dine out again  here  but  with 4000+  cases  a day  It will be  a long time coming

Enjoy your freedom 😉

22 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We never know people’s motivations. There was a great article in the paper a couple weeks ago about what the psychologists call “cave dwellers “. There is a portion of our society that loves things just as they are. They don’t want to go back to the office and intermingle with people. They don’t want to feel pressured to get together with friends, go out to eat, or participate in any organization or events. ( just look at all the posters we see that only want two tops!) 

The Pandemic gives them their perfect excuse to stay in their cave, and they are perfectly happy thank you. Don’t expect any assistance or cheerleading from them for anything that might shorten their recluse in their cave. It was a great well written article.

Sounds like my DH! Not me! (We are both vaccinated and tomorrow marks the beginning of my full immunity period. Housecleaner arrives the next day!)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, clo said:

. It would seem like in the grand scheme of things that a return to US-based cruising would be minutiae. 

The Jones Act and PVSA are meant to protect the US ship building industry. Like it or not (and I don’t especially), without protection, we would lose the skills needed to build our own vessels. Ship building is a strategic industry for our national defense, as is the airline industry. 
We rail against stimulus and support provided to the airlines but not to the cruise industry, yet the cruise industry is not critical to our national defense. The government is much more concerned w the health of the airlines, hence the reopening of flights, etc. The government doesn’t want to impose draconian measures that would cause the industry to implode. How to reach the right balance between customer safety and industry viability is trial and error at present.

I hope we can all set sail quickly on fully vaccinated ships!

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 10:47 AM, TrulyBlonde said:

She came this morning and I asked her if she got the vaccine. I told her we pay her a lot of money and our health is very important. I also said I am sure I can find someone to work here for $35 an hour. She told me that she will not get it and I can look for someone else. Today will be her last day!

I am fully capable of cleaning my very large home until I find someone that respects humanity. I am also very ready to take a fully vaccinated cruise and have my cabin cleaned and our meals prepared and enjoy looking out at the ocean. 

Let's get sailing! Cheers!

+1

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I feel sorry for him as shingles can be very painful.

Semantics. Excuse me for using a not-precise term. I would consider developing Shingles, due to not getting vaccinated, essentially "catching it".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

The Jones Act and PVSA are meant to protect the US ship building industry. Like it or not (and I don’t especially), without protection, we would lose the skills needed to build our own vessels. Ship building is a strategic industry for our national defense, as is the airline industry. 
We rail against stimulus and support provided to the airlines but not to the cruise industry, yet the cruise industry is not critical to our national defense. The government is much more concerned w the health of the airlines, hence the reopening of flights, etc. The government doesn’t want to impose draconian measures that would cause the industry to implode. How to reach the right balance between customer safety and industry viability is trial and error at present.

I hope we can all set sail quickly on fully vaccinated ships!

While I agree in principle with this, we must remember that the CDC has no authority or jurisdiction over the airline industry only the cruise industry. We have absolutely no idea what the CDC might do if they likewise controlled the airlines.

1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

We have absolutely no idea what the CDC might do if they likewise controlled the airlines.

Was it in this thread, or another, where someone posted that the CDC do not recommend requiring vaccine “passports” for international travel. To me, that makes no sense. The stated or assumed rationale was to not disadvantage poorer countries. Therefore we must welcome possibly infected travelers into our country? I don’t see the balance there.

So, I agree we cannot tell what the CDC would do, because logic need not apply to their many edicts!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, palakika said:

Folks...just get the 2 shot shingles vax and you won't have to worry about painful shingles.  The arm pain at injection site is similar to COVID vax but no other side effects. 

You were lucky.  The side effects from Shringrix #2 were exactly the same as Moderna #2 (fever, chills, aches and lethargy for about a day from the 24 hour mark).  But it was still worth it if it works and I don't CATCH shingles!  😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Host Jazzbeau..  sorry to hear you had a bad reaction to Shringrix #2.  We both had the Moderna and had a little tiredness, but mainly sore arms.  It will really be worth all of this if we don't get either the COVID or Shingles!!

Francie 

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You were lucky.  The side effects from Shringrix #2 were exactly the same as Moderna #2 (fever, chills, aches and lethargy for about a day from the 24 hour mark).  But it was still worth it if it works and I don't CATCH shingles!  😉

Shingrix definitely worth it.  My sister in law caught Shingles on a business trip to London several years ago and it spread to her eye.  Very debilitating.  She is still recovering  5 years later.   With no hesitant, we got our Shingles shot as soon  it was available.  

4 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

My sister in law caught Shingles on a business trip to London several years ago and it spread to her eye.

I'm belaboring this but In my 30's had shingles in my eye, forehead and up through the scalp. Hope to never know pain like it again.

Don't put off getting Shingrix if you haven't had it yet. Could spoil a good cruise.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

We’ve bored of Covid, and moved on to Shingles. I hope hemorrhoids aren’t next!😳

God, we need to get back to cruising! 🙏🍷

Oh crap, that would be terrible.

On a positive note, my ski town has had the highest rate of Covid in the state of CO. This a.m. in the local paper, they feel we are on the verge of herd immunity if things continue with vaccinations etc. We plan to be able to open at full capacity this Summer. Hope it continues 🙏

See you this Summer, Pinot.

21 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Oh crap, that would be terrible.

On a positive note, my ski town has had the highest rate of Covid in the state of CO. This a.m. in the local paper, they feel we are on the verge of herd immunity if things continue with vaccinations etc. We plan to be able to open at full capacity this Summer. Hope it continues 🙏

See you this Summer, Pinot.

I just read somewhere that Herd Immunity won't be achieved due to over 25% of the population that refuse to get vaccinated. 

27 minutes ago, ORV said:

I just read somewhere that Herd Immunity won't be achieved due to over 25% of the population that refuse to get vaccinated. 

This is for my County.

Pitkin County can achieve herd immunity with the vaccination of 70% of its residents, “which is really the goal,” Peacock said. That’s the minimum threshold for herd immunity, “and we’re really getting there,” he said.

27 minutes ago, ORV said:

But a good portion of that 25% will most likely get the virus and contribute to herd immunity that way...the hard way.

• Like 3