When will things start back up?

KS&JW

32 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

But a good portion of that 25% will most likely get the virus and contribute to herd immunity that way...the hard way.

Because of the demographics of Aspen Valley, a significant portion of that 25% is probably undocumented Hispanic workers that may have already had the disease, but never sought medical attention nor reported it to Health officials. The antigens levels may already be there. 

Because the subgroups of the unvaccinated are numerous, and often separately exclusive, the preciseness in the definition of herd immunity will vary per locale.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Because of the demographics of Aspen Valley, a significant portion of that 25% is probably undocumented Hispanic workers that may have already had the disease, but never sought medical attention nor reported it to Health officials. The antigens levels may already be there. 

Because the subgroups of the unvaccinated are numerous, and often separately exclusive, the preciseness in the definition of herd immunity will vary per locale.

Yes, Pitkin county relies on the subgroup of Hispanic workers who live in Garfield and Eagle counties and commute here. Both of these counties have a larger population and support the restaurant and construction jobs. Same with Vail that is in Eagle county. 

Let's just hope our county officials are correct and we can reach that herd threshold. They are planning on and extremely busy Summer tourist season. Real estate is already off the charts since Covid. Just wait until the Brazilionnaires are able to come back 😉

40 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

They are planning on and extremely busy Summer tourist season. Real estate is already off the charts since Covid.

It's insane at Tahoe also. I was reading that traffic, which is always hideous in summer, is going to be even worse. (We only have one main highway around the lake, two lanes mostly. And real estate? OMG. Some friends told that the median price of a home on the North Shore is $995k. And lots of nouveau riche.

Edited by clo

5 hours ago, clo said:

It's insane at Tahoe also. I was reading that traffic, which is always hideous in summer, is going to be even worse. (We only have one main highway around the lake, two lanes mostly. And real estate? OMG. Some friends told that the median price of a home on the North Shore is $995k. And lots of nouveau riche.

Yes, in July 2019 my husband and I  made the mistake of detouring to Lake Tahoe for a leisurely drive along the shore. Hah. The traffic was something else. 

39 minutes ago, avalong said:

Yes, in July 2019 my husband and I  made the mistake of detouring to Lake Tahoe for a leisurely drive along the shore. Hah. The traffic was something else. 

I feel your pain.

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

The UAE has put a temporary suspension on flights from India.

This would be one of the major routes for travel between India and Europe & US.

The ability for crew to join ships in those areas will be impacted.

Canada  has not locked the door yet 🙄

we now have  cases of  a new variant from people that arrived from India recently

At this rate we will be locked down another year  thanks to our Fearless leader

• Thanks 1

Both Viking and RCI are flying crews into Turkey and Cypress , respectively. The ships are coming there to pick them up.

Outside of the butlers, does O use much staff from India? I thought most were SE Asia, particularly the Philippines now that they mostly stopped using E. Europeans.

I’m sure if FDR wants to get a couple hundred Butlers out, he could hitch them a ride somewhere. Not only that, he has ships parked in the Med to put them on.

NCLH has been using large NCL ships to transport crew to and from home. Right now the Encore is in Manila, having recently returned crew home to India and the Philippines . When they're ready to start recrewing ships they'll bring crew on board in Manila, pick up more in India, and transport them to their work assignments . 

It's not as though they're going to be restarting the entire NCLH fleet at once...it's going to take months, so if air transport is difficult or impossible they can make multiple crew runs using the larger NCL ships.

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Has anyone else heard or read about a new strain of COVID found in Texas that is resistant to all current antibodies (acquired naturally or via vaccine)?

• Scientists at Texas A&M University Global Health Research Complex say they’ve detected a new Covid-19 variant that shows signs of antibody resistance.
  • The variant is named BV-1 for its Brazos Valley origin.
  • Scientists say it is related to the U.K. strain and shows signs of resistance to antibody neutralization.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Both Viking and RCI are flying crews into Turkey and Cypress , respectively. The ships are coming there to pick them up.

Outside of the butlers, does O use much staff from India? I thought most were SE Asia, particularly the Philippines now that they mostly stopped using E. Europeans.

I’m sure if FDR wants to get a couple hundred Butlers out, he could hitch them a ride somewhere. Not only that, he has ships parked in the Med to put them on.

Bartenders and waiters I've met from India a few times. Probably more than just butlers. 

1 hour ago, tgg said:
  • Scientists at Texas A&M University Global Health Research Complex say they’ve detected a new Covid-19 variant that shows signs of antibody resistance.
  • The variant is named BV-1 for its Brazos Valley origin.
  • Scientists say it is related to the U.K. strain and shows signs of resistance to antibody neutralization.

Ugh.

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Both Viking and RCI are flying crews into Turkey and Cypress, respectively.

Via charter flights, which is the answer to those who noticed that it is very hard to fly from the countries where most crew live.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

A lot of housekeeping/waitstaff/bar staff  are from Goa  & Mumbai   etc..

probably some below deck crew as well

20 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Canada  has not locked the door yet 🙄

we now have  cases of  a new variant from people that arrived from India recently

At this rate we will be locked down another year  thanks to our Fearless leader

You would think people would have learned their lesson after the NDP debacle a couple decades ago.

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

Turkey is about to enter their first full nationwide lockdown.

They have the highest infection rate in Europe.

Source: BBC

Today's graph:image.thumb.png.9f44eaa96ddbb58867336241cf52366e.png

Edited by Erndog72

With the new CDC clarifications today (April 29, 2021) it looks like Oceania will likely succeed on their announced  Marina restart in late August and be able get some other ships sailing. The new regulations make it possible to restart cruising for Oceania type ships as early as late April. There are a number of hurdles to jump. Including requiring vaccinations and a pre embarkation rapid antigen test (which is less invasive and more rapid than a PCP test) for almost all passengers and crew. The other large hurdle could be port stop adjustments for countries not allowing access. This could mean itinerary adjustments. But at least there is now a clearer light at the end of the tunnel. 

2 minutes ago, HiFi43 said:

With the new CDC clarifications today (April 29, 2021) it looks like Oceania will likely succeed on their announced  Marina restart in late August and be able get some other ships sailing. The new regulations make it possible to restart cruising for Oceania type ships as early as late April. There are a number of hurdles to jump. Including requiring vaccinations and a pre embarkation rapid antigen test (which is less invasive and more rapid than a PCP test) for almost all passengers and crew. The other large hurdle could be port stop adjustments for countries not allowing access. This could mean itinerary adjustments. But at least there is now a clearer light at the end of the tunnel. 

98% of crew ad 95% of pax must be vaccinated.  Great news!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HiFi43 said:

With the new CDC clarifications today (April 29, 2021) it looks like Oceania will likely succeed on their announced  Marina restart in late August and be able get some other ships sailing. The new regulations make it possible to restart cruising for Oceania type ships as early as late April.

This is late April  or do your mean 2022?