How to justify a cruise, when you have to quarantine

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Really ?? I am surprised - here in CT  EVERYONE in stores or even walking near others are wearing masks.  I have to ask:  are you peering into other people’s bedrooms?  That might explain it.

Not funny .As I have said before that due to disabilities I am in bed 21 hours a day.I have a huge window .On the other side is my terrace.I am constantly looking out to alleviate of of the boredom.There are constantly people walking .I see old people ,young people .At least 90 % are not wearing masks.

5 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Monticello is a rural town in the country and the people living there have different mindpoints than those in NYC proper.  They are more dissimilar than not.

Monticello New York?  As some who knows nothing about the area - which group would be more likely to wear a mask?

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Look at us in NJ, NY, CT, you won’t find anyone out without a mask, our cases dropped like crazy. We’ve been wearing them for a few months.

That's certainly a possible explanation, but another explanation could be that the virus killed itself off....  Basically that area is coming close to herd immunity, directly as a result of the rampant nature of it a couple months ago.

6 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

That's certainly a possible explanation, but another explanation could be that the virus killed itself off....  Basically that area is coming close to herd immunity, directly as a result of the rampant nature of it a couple months ago.

Wishful thinking, but far from the truth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Monticello is a rural town in the country and the people living there have different mindpoints than those in NYC proper.  They are more dissimilar than not.

I think you are responding to Lenny who is on Long Island, while I am the person from Monticello.

And I really fear a spike because of all the unmasked people. Yes, some are locals, but the majority without masks are our summer visitors, and they are mostly from the NY Metropolitan area that used to be the hot spot. They are the same group that the Mayor of NYC blasted when they did a mass funeral gathering with no masks or social distancing. Many of them summer up here.

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

They put confirmed positive people in a room for 30 minutes without masks and found no trace of the virus anywhere. 

They also found that symptomatic people are transmitting the disease onto a counter or table top where it's picked up by other people

2 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

Not at all.  2 different groups.  One was confirmed asymptomatic that showed no trace of the virus.  The second was positive with symptoms.

Would confirmed positive not qualify as having the virus ? 

Or do they mean they were positive  but no symptoms  so did not spread the virus ?

Very confusing

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I think you are responding to Lenny who is on Long Island, while I am the person from Monticello.

And I really fear a spike because of all the unmasked people. Yes, some are locals, but the majority without masks are our summer visitors, and they are mostly from the NY Metropolitan area that used to be the hot spot. They are the same group that the Mayor of NYC blasted when they did a mass funeral gathering with no masks or social distancing. Many of them summer up here.

I know a couple who live in Long Island,go to Fla for the winter and to Monticello for the summer.I am making the assumption that they did so this year too.

10 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

I don't buy it.  A 2 week incubation period means infections are occurring after the mask requirement was put in place at least 6 weeks ago.

I live in California, and the few places I go these days and all the days since the masking and distancing orders went out are chock full of people either not wearing masks or wearing them under their noses instead of over their noses. Masking does work, but only if everybody does it and does it right. Also, people aren't following the social distancing rules but are gathering together just like they always have.  Given all of that, it's a wonder we aren't worse off than we are now. That's plenty bad enough.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, some are locals, but the majority without masks are our summer visitors,

We live about an hour from Lake Tahoe. One of their towns is publicly asking visitors to stay away on weekends until at least mid-Aug.

44 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I live in California,

Are you willing to say where you kinda/sorta live? Because we used to live at Lake Tahoe and now are close by in Reno, I remain interested. TIA.

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

I live in California, and the few places I go these days and all the days since the masking and distancing orders went out are chock full of people either not wearing masks or wearing them under their noses instead of over their noses. Masking does work, but only if everybody does it and does it right. Also, people aren't following the social distancing rules but are gathering together just like they always have.  Given all of that, it's a wonder we aren't worse off than we are now. That's plenty bad enough.

Not in every area in Northern California according to my friends who live in Berkeley.

17 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

And a very recent experiment by the CDC that was just concluded showed no evidence that asymptomatic people can transmit the virus.  They put confirmed positive people in a room for 30 minutes without masks and found no trace of the virus anywhere.  They also found that symptomatic people are transmitting the disease onto a counter or table top where it's picked up by other people.  They found minimal transmission via the air.  Even with masks on the virus was settling on surfaces.

Have you found the a link yet?

I have found a very recent CDC report, link below, where they indicate findings that people do not remain infectious as long as previously thought. Can't find anything about above experiment, though.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/disposition-in-home-patients.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/duration-isolation.html

20 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

I don't buy it.  A 2 week incubation period means infections are occurring after the mask requirement was put in place at least 6 weeks ago.

Hi

Have you given some thought to the possibility that many people just aren't compliant with all the restrictions in place. Actually, for masks specifically, a very important point, is that they need to be worn properly. 

Generally comments like yours are used as the rationalization for not bothering to do it at all. The, "why bother, it doesn't work". The "real" results can be seen in your country as well as many other places in the world. As well as the results from "not doing anything different". The choice ultimately is up to the individual, but if enough people don't help in a common effort, for whatever reasons they use that day, the OP as well as myself will likely not not be sailing from a U.S. port for a very long time.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

Hi

With this notion, I gather you think that by the end of Sept. everything will be better for the rest of the country. Good luck with that. 😃 I guess if you aren't going to do anything else, hoping for the best is better than nothing.

10 hours ago, clo said:

We live about an hour from Lake Tahoe. One of their towns is publicly asking visitors to stay away on weekends until at least mid-Aug.

Our county government was asked about keeping the summer people away. The answer was that they could not as they owned their property, generally bungalow colonies where they all live in very close proximity. I do not know why they cannot force them to comply with the rules as promulgated by the state.

I know a columnist from the area's paper and know he thinks what they are doing is dangerous. I have suggested to him that he write a column with his opinion, but he won't. (His last hard hitting <sarcasm> column was about Dylan still being relevant.

Everyone coming into Canada unless deemed an essential traveler is required to undergo a 14 day quarantine no matter how they traveled.

My concern with cruising isn't what happens when I get home.  What I can't justify is spending time with thousands of other people on a floating viral incubator that shares many features with a long term care home and the risk of being quarantined on the boat if someone tests positive.  The 14 day quarantine upon returning to Canada is the least of my concerns. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not in every area in Northern California according to my friends who live in Berkeley.

Not to quibble, but Berkeley is more Bay Area than typical Northern California. Different mind set. But I'm glad to hear that they're doing what they should.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clo said:

Are you willing to say where you kinda/sorta live? Because we used to live at Lake Tahoe and now are close by in Reno, I remain interested. TIA.

Oroville. 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2020 at 1:01 PM, buckeyefrank said:

And a very recent experiment by the CDC that was just concluded showed no evidence that asymptomatic people can transmit the virus.  They put confirmed positive people in a room for 30 minutes without masks and found no trace of the virus anywhere.  They also found that symptomatic people are transmitting the disease onto a counter or table top where it's picked up by other people.  They found minimal transmission via the air.  Even with masks on the virus was settling on surfaces.

there’s asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic. They amount to the same thing. You are infected with the virus but don’t know it yet and are going about your life because you don’t know. I haven’t read this article but agree that I’ve read articles that asymptotic spread has caused little if any spread. I did read however that pre-symptomatic spread has accounted for 40% of the spread of this virus. About the surface vs air transmission flies in th face of all the recent research about Covid so would want to see the article on that one.

I was at a doctors office today in a town that I do not reside in .Nearly everyone that I saw on the street was wearing a mask.

At the doctors office the waiting room was empty,employees and doctors wore masks and gloves.There were signs on the outside door and the front of the medical building stating that nobody can enter without a mask.I was very impressed.I told my doctor about the office I was in 2 weeks ago. The doctors in today’s office all shaved their beards and suggested that I might wish to do the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1