Please stop the Suite/Tier Negativity

19 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I have been reading casually for over an hour this thread and it seems to me, almost all of the posts pertain to a concept taught to me by my Psych 1 professor years (and years) ago.  It's called One Up, One Down. More commonly known as "Keeping Up With The Joneses".  Human nature has an annoying need to be  One Up or put someone else One Down.  That's what you have all been saying in a nutshell.  It's apparent in all facets of life.  You buy better stuff...so you are one up.  You wear gold pins...so you are one up.  You want to attain higher status and more perks so someone else is One Down.  You even disagree about something....so you can appear knowledgeable...and be one up.  You criticise  someone's grammar or apparel or status...so they will be One Down.  JMHO but it seems to be the impetus for almost everything we do or say.....especially in a forum online where one cannot be face to face with anyone.  I so wish we did not have that need, but it looks like it will always be there...we're human!  I am really trying hard these days to just....be kind.  Guess C19 and the state of the world these days has just made me reevaluate my behavior.  Do unto others as you would have done to you....sorry, don't mean to preach.

Amen!

Well said 😊

None of this status talk, I have, you have really matters at all

Who even cares! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, snaefell said:

Don't know which is more annoying,that somebody found such fault with the original post or that they apologized for it!

Wrong, totally wrong!  As we all do (unless we are perfect) we will innocently say something that may hurt or offend another person.  We might not even be aware of what we said or its implications.  I remember doing that and my wife immediately pointed out that a certain word that I had used now had negative connotations.  To this day, I am glad that I learned my lesson.

Kudos to the person who immediately apologized.  I have no problem with them whatsoever, but I do worry about those who don't understand that words are important and can hurt other people.

• Like 4

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

I knew without Google a Octopus had 3 hearts. Two to pump to Gills and one to pump blue blood through the body. I didn’t know about multiple brains. 

M8

Google makes finding knowledge simple these days and is very helpful.

Biology was a good subject for me at school exams 48 years ago but most gets forgotten over the years and I would never have got that answer right and probably why I don't do trivia now.

22 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I knew without Google a Octopus had 3 hearts. Two to pump to Gills and one to pump blue blood through the body. I didn’t know about multiple brains. 

M8

According to my wife, l have 2 brains. Evidently one makes bad decisions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Biology was a good subject for me at school exams 48 years ago but most gets forgotten over the years and I would never have got that answer right and probably why I don't do trivia now.

Maybe some are upset they didn’t purchase the VOOM package for Trivia. Lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I have been reading casually for over an hour this thread and it seems to me, almost all of the posts pertain to a concept taught to me by my Psych 1 professor years (and years) ago.  It's called One Up, One Down. More commonly known as "Keeping Up With The Joneses".  Human nature has an annoying need to be  One Up or put someone else One Down.  That's what you have all been saying in a nutshell.  It's apparent in all facets of life.  You buy better stuff...so you are one up.  You wear gold pins...so you are one up.  You want to attain higher status and more perks so someone else is One Down.  You even disagree about something....so you can appear knowledgeable...and be one up.  You criticise  someone's grammar or apparel or status...so they will be One Down.  JMHO but it seems to be the impetus for almost everything we do or say.....especially in a forum online where one cannot be face to face with anyone.  I so wish we did not have that need, but it looks like it will always be there...we're human!  I am really trying hard these days to just....be kind.  Guess C19 and the state of the world these days has just made me reevaluate my behavior.  Do unto others as you would have done to you....sorry, don't mean to preach.

So I guess with this post you are one up and most of us are one down.

You criticize our discussion of the various cruise topics covered in this thread by calling discussion criticism.  Like you, I took one Psych class in college a billion years ago so I'm qualified to sit in judgement of anything too. Could you help me understand how criticizing the friendly discussion this thread has been qualifies as reevaluation of your behavior leading to a greater degree of kindness.  My one psych class either skipped that module or I was high that day....

Thanks

Psych 101 Alumni 1985

• Like 4

2 hours ago, janetz said:

Amen!

Well said 😊

None of this status talk, I have, you have really matters at all

Who even cares! 

LOL

"Who even cares!" Apparently the people who have posted on this thread.

That little red x in the upper left corner of the browser will work wonders for you.  Some of us find this discussion enjoyable.  I understand you don't.  That's the beauty of freedom.  You are welcome not to participate.

The rationale of coming onto a discussion forum to criticize discussion of a pertinent topic completely escapes me.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

With modern days internet many subjects at school become irrelevant. I mean you can always calculate stuff in the calculator, get latest news and much more interesting history reports and real opinions from real people on the internet. People are not even reading books these days. I even read magazines on my iPad  

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

So I guess with this post you are one up and most of us are one down.

You criticize our discussion of the various cruise topics covered in this thread by calling discussion criticism.  Like you, I took one Psych class in college a billion years ago so I'm qualified to sit in judgement of anything too. Could you help me understand how criticizing the friendly discussion this thread has been qualifies as reevaluation of your behavior leading to a greater degree of kindness.  My one psych class either skipped that module or I was high that day....

Thanks

Psych 101 Alumni 1985

I am so sorry Tree Skier, you took my post in the most negative light you possibly could have.  Maybe you didn't even notice I was "criticizing" myself along with humanity.  I was not even referring to the "friendly discussion" on this thread but to the nasty comments and boastful rhetoric of some posters who think their status give them the right to Lord it over others.   I do not look at you as one down at all, sorry you do.  Have a better day...........

19 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cb

Thanks for this thorough analysis which brings quite a few things to the point.

You're welcome.  Believe me when I say status was only as good as the discount on fare for us.  We cruise because we love it and we wanted the maximum discount, course we do enjoy the drinks too, but not because we have any such delusions of grandeur. 

6 hours ago, yogimax said:

Wrong, totally wrong!  As we all do (unless we are perfect) we will innocently say something that may hurt or offend another person.  We might not even be aware of what we said or its implications.  I remember doing that and my wife immediately pointed out that a certain word that I had used now had negative connotations.  To this day, I am glad that I learned my lesson.

Kudos to the person who immediately apologized.  I have no problem with them whatsoever, but I do worry about those who don't understand that words are important and can hurt other people.

No...you are wrong. Instead of everybody watching every single word they say as to not offend some person on the planet, do what I was taught......grow a bit thicker skin and get on with life, offended or not.

Can't remember the last time somebody cared if I was offended or not, hmmmmmm?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, as scripture tells us, we choose to be offended.  And it's easy to get offended sometimes.  But I agree with the Word.  We can also choose not to be offended...if everyone did that, things would be a lot more pleasant these days.  You know...sticks and stones.....yada yada yada  These days, online, people get a big charge out of snapier, nastier, snarkier remarks...they hand them out like they are a badge of honor almost.  That's what I meant about being kinder.  I am just as guilty of snarky as the next person, but it's just getting unbearable in this heightened climate of angst.  Can't we just all be civil!  Now don't take offense, just being light hearted.....

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Well, as scripture tells us, we choose to be offended.  And it's easy to get offended sometimes.  But I agree with the Word.  We can also choose not to be offended...if everyone did that, things would be a lot more pleasant these days.  You know...sticks and stones.....yada yada yada

Oh dear...don't start quoting scripture or this thread will take on another less needed subject :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, L454S said:

No...you are wrong. Instead of everybody watching every single word they say as to not offend some person on the planet, do what I was taught......grow a bit thicker skin and get on with life, offended or not.

Can't remember the last time somebody cared if I was offended or not, hmmmmmm?

Nope!  It's not about me being offended.  It's about offending someone else by using harmful words or expressions that are often based in hateful expressions of the past but still used today by those who don't care.