Oldest remaining active cruiseships?

VIKINGCRUISER

Good Morning all!,

I know many don't consider the Carnival Fantasy a classic or important ship, but it was and always will be for me for personal reasons.

With that being said that also was my first cruise ever and I really enjoy cruising, although I don't go as often as I'd like. I have done three Fantasy class cruises aboard Carnival, a Princess Cruise and "Oasis of the Seas".

My preference is really to go on smaller vessels as I am looking to try Windstar cruises or any other cruiseline that has smaller vessels. 

I didn't mean to get long winded, but with ships being scrapped recently, how many (if any) classic older vessels remain what cruiselines are they currently with that are still sailing? 

Thank you

Joe

There are few (to none) ships “still sailing” at this time. Cruise & Maritime Voyages, which filed for reorganization on July 20, operated Marco Polo - about 600 passengers, built in 1964 - certainly one of the older ships in very recent operation. Of course everything is up in the air now. She may or may not sail again.

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

up until recently MARCO POLO  was still sailing  built in 1965  as Alexander Pushkin

How small of a ship are you looking at?

I guess I should correct myself. I'm "assuming" all the classic liners that I have read about are in the 20,000 to 50,000 Ton Range.

When I see ships like the S.S. France, I know they are not geared for todays cruse crowds, but there's something classic and elegant about them and I would like to experience that before they're all gone.

I believe that the Ocean Majesty built in either 1965 or 1966 is still in service, chartered by a German cruise line.

A very small ship, GW about 10.5t, and a very distinctive split funnel. Originally built as a car ferry (she did bounce a bit when in force 12...).

We sailed with her when she was chartered by Page&Moy, and it was the Ocean Majesty that gave us our love of cruising; we got so excited last year when we saw her sailing towards London.

She was also the one that set our "bench mark" for efficiency of staff and crew, we compare all subsequent ships against her standards (as they were then).

The oldest "active" cruise ship (since none are "active", really), is the Astoria (ex Stockholm of Andrea Doria fame)(built in 1948), also operated by Cruise and Maritime up until they went into receivership this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

The oldest "active" cruise ship (since none are "active", really), is the Astoria (ex Stockholm of Andrea Doria fame)(built in 1948), also operated by Cruise and Maritime up until they went into receivership this year.

And what a ship she is.   My wife and I made a very conscious effort to sail her a fw years ago, as she was the ship MY parents took on their (delayed) honeymoon back in 1948.  We had the pleasure of even staying in the same stateroom as they did back then!

Of course the weather was HORRIBLE, but the old girl handled it like a champ.  Here is vid taken of our cruise (If you look REALLY carefully you can see me on the promenade deck with three other fools)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, FredT said:

And what a ship she is.   My wife and I made a very conscious effort to sail her a fw years ago, as she was the ship MY parents took on their (delayed) honeymoon back in 1948.  We had the pleasure of even staying in the same stateroom as they did back then!

Of course the weather was HORRIBLE, but the old girl handled it like a champ.  Here is vid taken of our cruise (If you look REALLY carefully you can see me on the promenade deck with three other fools)  

Thanks for posting! That must have been something special to be in the same statesroom as your parents!

33 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

In addition to CMV calling in the receivers, I read a couple of months ago that MCA detained the Astoria and other CMV vessels when docked at Tilbury. Due to crew welfare issues, as the crews downed tools over repatriation delays. 

9 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

In addition to CMV calling in the receivers, I read a couple of months ago that MCA detained the Astoria and other CMV vessels when docked at Tilbury. Due to crew welfare issues, as the crews downed tools over repatriation delays. 

Yeah, I heard that.  Glad to see that PSC are enforcing the MLC 2006 labor conventions.  I know of a ship that Brazil detained a few years back over MLC problems.

Fred. Olsen line retains two ships launched in 1972-73 and originally sailed as Royal Viking Star (currently named Black Watch) and Royal Viking Sky (Boudicca). Royal Viking ships were built to a very high standard in their day and still have their loyal fans. Their sister ship, Royal Viking Sea (also launched in 1973) is currently sailing as Albatros in the German line Phoenix Reissen.

Phoenix Reissen also added another older Royal Viking ship, Royal Viking Sun to their fleet last year (purchased from Holland America where she served as Prinsendam) -- but she is not as old as the first three, having been launched in 1988, and is also somewhat larger.

38 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Read up on the "Astoria's" history and you will find quite an interesting adventure. The Andrea Doria is only part of this ship's exploits.

One other "interesting" note on the Astoria.  About 20 years ago a sport diver was diving on the wreck of the Andrea Doria.  Currents took him "off" the wreck, and he saw something on the bottom.  It was the ships bell from the bow of the Stockholm, torn off in the collision.  After being refurbished it was presented to the current owners of the Stockholm (Astoria) where it sits on display in the main atrium.  

18-03-05.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lewis R French.  149 years young.  I did a cruise on her.  It was great!!

DON

"

A Little History

Maine TallshipBuilt by the French brothers and named for their father, the schooner Lewis R. French was launched in April, 1871, in Christmas Cove, Maine. She is the last schooner remaining of thousands built in Maine during the 19th century. Due to some luck and love, the French has carried an assortment of cargoes for various owners around the Northeast for over 130 years! She freighted bricks, lumber, firewood, granite, fish, lime, canning supplies, Christmas trees, and now people.

She worked hard carrying freight until 1973, when she then spent 3 years being rebuilt for the passenger trade. Much of her hull was renewed with massive timbers of oak, pine, and fir. She still looks, feels, and sails much like she would have the day she was launched, and the French boys would be proud to see her sails drawing as she heads Downeast.

The French was proudly named a National Historic Landmark and has a large following. From folks that have sailed on her as a windjammer to old-timers who remember her when she carried freight, the French has touched many people. It is a truly unique experience to sail on a vessel that has been active since shortly after the death of Abraham Lincoln!

Today

Windjammer French anchored - Photo by Neil Parent Windjammer French anchored

Photo: Neil Parent

The French is still operated much how she would have been during the age of sail. She has no inboard engine, relying on 3,000 square feet of sail to propel her. She has four lower sails and two topsails. If the wind dies, a push from our yawlboat "Greyhound" will help her along. All the sails are still raised and trimmed by hand, and the anchor is manually raised each morning using our windlass. There are no engines on deck or below to spoil the serenity.

The French is 101 feet overall, 65 feet on deck, with 19 feet of beam. She draws 7.5 feet with a full keel. A proven vessel in all conditions, she is a nifty and quick sailor, having won the Great Schooner Race many times. The French has also participated in recent Tall Ships gatherings in Boston.

The French is inspected annually by the U.S. Coast Guard, is outfitted with modern navigation equipment such as VHF, GPS and radar, and is in top-shape.

I suspect that the COVID shutdown will finish off most (if not all) of the remaining older/classic ships.  Somebody already mentioned the Marco Polo (a favorite old ship of ours) which is now going to meet its end.  I think the oldest continuing operating cruise ship is the MV Astoria which got its start back in 1948 as the Stockholm.  This is the same Stockholm that had a horrible collision with the Andrea Dorea back in 1956.  The Stockholm survived (the Andrea Doria sank) and went through many re incarnations until its final Astoria name.  This ship was scheduled (prior to COVID) to finish its career in Oct 2020 and is owned by Cruise and Maritime Voyages...the same company that owns the Marco Polo.  C&M has made a business out of buying and resurrecting old ships (mostly intended for the British cruise market).  I suspect this company will have a very difficult time surviving COVID which is a shame since we love to see these old ships in port (no longer our style to cruise on those vessels).  

Hank

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FredT said:

Too COOL!  And yes, I do see you!

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Fred. Olsen line retains two ships launched in 1972-73 and originally sailed as Royal Viking Star (currently named Black Watch) and Royal Viking Sky (Boudicca). Royal Viking ships were built to a very high standard in their day and still have their loyal fans. Their sister ship, Royal Viking Sea (also launched in 1973) is currently sailing as Albatros in the German line Phoenix Reissen.

Phoenix Reissen also added another older Royal Viking ship, Royal Viking Sun to their fleet last year (purchased from Holland America where she served as Prinsendam) -- but she is not as old as the first three, having been launched in 1988, and is also somewhat larger.

The first 3 Royal Viking ships were some of the best ships afloat in the 70's. One of my seasons in Alaska we passed one of them every week. Magnificent design, actually looked like a ship.

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I suspect that the COVID shutdown will finish off most (if not all) of the remaining older/classic ships.  Somebody already mentioned the Marco Polo (a favorite old ship of ours) which is now going to meet its end.  I think the oldest continuing operating cruise ship is the MV Astoria which got its start back in 1948 as the Stockholm.  This is the same Stockholm that had a horrible collision with the Andrea Dorea back in 1956.  The Stockholm survived (the Andrea Doria sank) and went through many re incarnations until its final Astoria name.  This ship was scheduled (prior to COVID) to finish its career in Oct 2020 and is owned by Cruise and Maritime Voyages...the same company that owns the Marco Polo.  C&M has made a business out of buying and resurrecting old ships (mostly intended for the British cruise market).  I suspect this company will have a very difficult time surviving COVID which is a shame since we love to see these old ships in port (no longer our style to cruise on those vessels).  

Hank

All CMV ships were detained by MCA in June and then last week the company went into Receivership.

On 8/4/2020 at 9:17 AM, VIKINGCRUISER said:

Good Morning all!,

I know many don't consider the Carnival Fantasy a classic or important ship, but it was and always will be for me for personal reasons.

With that being said that also was my first cruise ever and I really enjoy cruising, although I don't go as often as I'd like. I have done three Fantasy class cruises aboard Carnival, a Princess Cruise and "Oasis of the Seas".

My preference is really to go on smaller vessels as I am looking to try Windstar cruises or any other cruiseline that has smaller vessels. 

I didn't mean to get long winded, but with ships being scrapped recently, how many (if any) classic older vessels remain what cruiselines are they currently with that are still sailing? 

Thank you

Joe

When I first saw the initial post I thought it read oldest cruiser and I was about to say me.

i believe the Carnival Fascination which I cruised on in 1994 is still active.

16 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

When I first saw the initial post I thought it read oldest cruiser and I was about to say me.

i believe the Carnival Fascination which I cruised on in 1994 is still active.

We've also been on the Fascination. But I think at the moment it is being taken at least temporarily out of the Carnival fleet with the rumors being that it will permanently leave.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We've also been on the Fascination. But I think at the moment it is being taken at least temporarily out of the Carnival fleet with the rumors being that it will permanently leave.

That was our first and last Carnival cruise.The best thing about being on the ship was the chocolate buffet .

34 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Any Sitmar ships still sailing?

Loved that line :).  The Fair Majesty is still around (called the Columbia) but is one of several older ships that was owned by Cruise and Maritime Voyages which is in bankruptcy.  What happens to the CMV ships is still a question.  As near as I can determine the remainder of the Sitmar ships are long gone (mostly to the scrap yard).

Hank