Employees coming back to the ship.

Bingotommy

How long do you think it will take carnival to get enough people back to staff the ships.  Also they will have to bring production people in to set up the shows. Magician for the clubs and people for all the other areas. I estimate it would take at least 2 months. Hope I’m wrong and someone can tell me that.

2 hours ago, Bingotommy said:

How long do you think it will take carnival to get enough people back to staff the ships.  Also they will have to bring production people in to set up the shows. Magician for the clubs and people for all the other areas. I estimate it would take at least 2 months. Hope I’m wrong and someone can tell me that.

Considering it is likely cruises from the US won’t be resuming for a long time, I don’t think staffing the ships is going to be a significant issue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Chengkp75 has said it would take 4-6 weeks to completely staff/ provision the ship. That's coming from someone who has worked on NCL as a chief engineer.

I don't think they can get all the ships staffed back up in 4-6 weeks. There has probably been a lot of crew that have left the company and found other jobs. They have quite a chore to get people hired, trained, and sent to the ships. A big expense also.

Probably going to be a lot of work to get one ship ready that fast.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

I don't think they can get all the ships staffed back up in 4-6 weeks. There has probably been a lot of crew that have left the company and found other jobs. They have quite a chore to get people hired, trained, and sent to the ships. A big expense also.

Not to mention that the other cruise lines will probably be hiring around the same time, so they'll all be competing for workers.

30 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Yep 

Those are “normal “ conditions. Plus with many Philippines working on cruise ship and the recent outbreak in Norway on a ship, how many will be available.

Without knowing a start date , workers will have to quarantine 14 days once they get to the US.

With numbers of passengers limited, a full crew won't be needed and I would expect some services to be limited as well. Many positions are not highly skilled - how hard is it to be a bacon server? Ships routinely turnover staff when contracts end. They have experience in this area.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Hmmmm, how many ships was Carnival foing to start with?

That's the $10 billion question.

Two or three action plans ago, they planned to start with 8 ships from three different U.S. ports.  My best guess (no better than anyone else's, of course) is that they won't start with that many when they're allowed to go - either because of CDC mandates or an abundance of caution.  The fewer ships they start with, the quicker it will be to staff them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

That's the $10 billion question.

Two or three action plans ago, they planned to start with 8 ships from three different U.S. ports.  My best guess (no better than anyone else's, of course) is that they won't start with that many when they're allowed to go - either because of CDC mandates or an abundance of caution.  The fewer ships they start with, the quicker it will be to staff them.

Also with an abundance of caution for if this all falls down and goes boom they'll have less guests to find a port to debark in and less private planes to hire to haul everyone home for the quarantine. Too soon, too many ships, could be disastrous.

They wont need to get all the ships staff ready at once, as they will be starting very slowly.  germany got the staff for a ship in a few weeks.  I dont think thats a major  problem,  they will likely have months to prepare before going.  

Edited by seaman11
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Never said they could crew up "all the ships" in 4-6 weeks, but that is the timeframe for any given ship, and they will not be crewing all the ships at once, trust me.  The crew "leave the company" each time they end a contract.  Most crew prefer to work on the ships, either because the wage is higher than any other job they could get at home, or because there are no jobs at home.  And, most of the crew are used to not being paid during the time they are off the ship, having saved up from the onboard wages, so they have been waiting for their preferred jobs, rather than finding new jobs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, seaman11 said:

They wont need to get all the ships staff ready at once, as they will be starting very slowly.  germany got the staff for a ship in a few weeks.  I dont think thats a major  problem,  they will likely have months to prepare before going.  

I guess a way to check that theory would be to check and see how many ships are presently scheduled to sail within the first week, for any line (i.e. Carnival), regardless of which week.  It could be the second week of November, or the third, etc.. If Carnival is scheduling maybe 10 ships off the get go then that would give an idea of how many crew might be needed.

NCL CEO said four weeks to staff, and they wouldn’t be staffing all the ships at once.

It has taken me some time to get here, but I can see now that it will be nothing short of miraculous for cruising from the US to restart this year.  At least the COVID numbers in Florida are starting to trend down. 

18 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Many positions are not highly skilled - how hard is it to be a bacon server? Ships routinely turnover staff when contracts end. They have experience in this area.

But they do more than serve bacon.  Lots of them are on fire crews, operate lifeboats, do the muster drills, etc.

• Like 5

In my opinion Carnival should start with one ship when the time is adequate. That way you actively minimize the overall exposure to the Virus effects. The bigger issue for Carnival is "Who Are Going To Be The First Test Subjects"?

I think it will be very difficult to find initial Crew and Passengers for that Voyage????  Are you Brave enough?  

26 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

In my opinion Carnival should start with one ship when the time is adequate. That way you actively minimize the overall exposure to the Virus effects. The bigger issue for Carnival is "Who Are Going To Be The First Test Subjects"?

I think it will be very difficult to find initial Crew and Passengers for that Voyage????  Are you Brave enough?  

No, it wouldn't be,  Crew aren't be subjected to the US media bad news blitz and they can  walk out their front door to meet a neighbor with any one of a dozen diseases rarely found in the US. 

7 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

No, it wouldn't be,  Crew aren't be subjected to the US media bad news blitz and they can  walk out their front door to meet a neighbor with any one of a dozen diseases rarely found in the US. 

Finally, someone who understands! US media bad news blitz, exactly right.