How do I stop Cruise brochures?

ann135

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I should love to get cruisebrochures in the mail if it was the old type with deckplans, lots of pictures from the ships and prices for every cabincategory for every cruise.

Now there are very few pictures from the ships, no deckplans and almost no prices. For me that is not interesting!  

I'm pretty happy getting that kind of info on-line.  I actually wish there was a way to opt out of all junk mail, including the weekly ads from the local supermarkets, pizza places, etc.   I especially hate the mailings that say "important document enclosed".  Means I have to waste time opening the envelope before tossing it in the bin.  Haha.     

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I'm pretty happy getting that kind of info on-line.

I can get in online but want it on paper because I love to read a cruisebrochure! For a few years it was tradition for me to order the NCL brochure as soon as it was available and I got it in the mail during my vacation. The day I sat in the garden and looked through the NCL brochure for the first time was the best day in the summer!

A few years ago the brochures started to come later, when my vacation was over, and lots of information wasn't there anymore so life isn't as good anymore!

Stopping cruise line brochures (especially those from Viking) are akin to destroying all the cockroaches.  It "ain't" going to happen.  With Viking (Ocean and River) we get 3 of everything which can sometimes amount to 6 or 9 pieces of mail in a single day!   When you consider that DW and I have cruised on 16 different cruise lines you cannot even imagine how much cruise junk we get.   The sad thing is that DW and I have probably not read any cruise brochure in 10 years!  We do all of our cruise research online.

Hank

On 8/27/2020 at 7:36 AM, ann135 said:

As you will all understand once you have cruised with any company you get constant mailings from them.  Beautiful expensive brochures which most of the time you don’t even open and throw away. 
We are moving from the UK to live in Spain. How do I stop the new owners of our house being bombarded by these brochures please?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you. 

I understand your frustration.

But don't you think that moving house in order to get away from the brochures is a bit extreme ? :classic_huh:

Or have I mis-read your post? :classic_wink: 

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 2

On 8/29/2020 at 3:41 PM, ldubs said:

I'm pretty happy getting that kind of info on-line.  I actually wish there was a way to opt out of all junk mail, including the weekly ads from the local supermarkets, pizza places, etc.   I especially hate the mailings that say "important document enclosed".  Means I have to waste time opening the envelope before tossing it in the bin.  Haha.     

I am with you.

I've tried hard to reduce all my junk mail (hate the paper waste). I've had mixed results with cruise lines. One problem is that even after I've gotten a line to stop, they will do something like purchase a new list from somewhere (magazine subscriptions, other retailers you shop with) and you'll start getting them again.

I feel like it is worth the effort. I used to go away on a two-week trip and come back to two of those post office bins full of mail, most of it catalogs and brochures. Now I get far less. 

Call the cruise lines and ask to be put on their no-mail list if you are a past passenger. I finally pestered Oceania enough that they stopped sending to me -- they were the biggest offenders. But every so often they'll start up again...

On 8/29/2020 at 1:41 PM, ldubs said:

I assume that you are not being serious but if you are, how much time does it take to open the envelopes and toss them out.  The good thing about opening them is some of them have prepaid mail-backs in them.  I always send them back.

DON

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Oceania is the worst for this. I remember someone mentioned you can call the cruise line to request removal from the list, but you have to talk to the right department. I just throw them in the garbage. I don't even open the brochures, which started showing up again last week. 

Totally agree!  I’ve managed to stop all brochures except theirs. I even called and I supposedly got ahold of the right people, and yet they still come. 

I don’t open them either, mostly because I know it’s a line I’ll never sail again. Straight to the garbage with their garbage. 

Even email  of deals extra ... are bad enough....

Particularly those lines who's web sites do not show prices until you enter an email address..

What is wrong with them..  do they think if they don't tell you the price.. you are going to book it anyway???

Cheers Don

On 8/29/2020 at 2:21 PM, sverigecruiser said:

I can get in online but want it on paper because I love to read a cruisebrochure! For a few years it was tradition for me to order the NCL brochure as soon as it was available and I got it in the mail during my vacation. The day I sat in the garden and looked through the NCL brochure for the first time was the best day in the summer!

A few years ago the brochures started to come later, when my vacation was over, and lots of information wasn't there anymore so life isn't as good anymore!

That I sure understand.  It is always good to have those positive traditions.  

On 8/31/2020 at 8:57 AM, donaldsc said:

I assume that you are not being serious but if you are, how much time does it take to open the envelopes and toss them out.  The good thing about opening them is some of them have prepaid mail-backs in them.  I always send them back.

DON

I guess the nuance was lost.   Point being that junk mail goes directly from the mailbox to the recycle bin.  

I like the idea of sending it back.  I might have to adopt that approach.  Hopefully they recycle!  😄

21 hours ago, ldubs said:

I guess the nuance was lost.   Point being that junk mail goes directly from the mailbox to the recycle bin.  

I like the idea of sending it back.  I might have to adopt that approach.  Hopefully they recycle!  😄

The important thing is that they have to devote time and people to reading the stuff and they also have to pay for the return postage.  If enough of us send the stuff back, they may find that sending them to us is economically less viable.

DON

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 8:08 AM, Roz said:

Viking is absolutely relentless! There is no way to stop their mailings.  I swear if you ask to be taken off their list they send you twice as many brochures.  I get mail from Regent and Oceania all the time even though the chances of me sailing with them are slim to none.

I get very few from the lines I have sailed (I get emails from them, though). But I get at least one a week from Viking (whom I have never sailed)  and sometimes get two different brochures from them in the same day! 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 9:57 AM, donaldsc said:

DON

I do too and always add some shredded paper in their envelope first. 🤣

On 8/28/2020 at 8:08 AM, Roz said:

Viking is absolutely relentless! There is no way to stop their mailings.  I swear if you ask to be taken off their list they send you twice as many brochures.  I get mail from Regent and Oceania all the time even though the chances of me sailing with them are slim to none.

We took one cruise with Viking many years ago.  I swear any profit they made off us for that cruise is long gone due to the frequent brochure mailings we get from them.

• Haha 1

I received a brochure yesterday from Princess.  They were showing some mid-year 2021 cruises.  The only reason I opened this before it hit the recycle bin was the current shut-down and curiosity about what they were peddling.  

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

I received a brochure yesterday from Princess.  They were showing some mid-year 2021 cruises.  The only reason I opened this before it hit the recycle bin was the current shut-down and curiosity about what they were peddling.  

I received the same mailing, I think.  I was interested to see the re-deployment of Majestic Princess as compared to what was originally planned for her.  

The brochure was interesting enough that I would like to see the other itineraries that are planned.  A Caribbean Princess sailing in New England/Canada, as an example.  What are the cruises before and after that are planned?  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I received the same mailing, I think.  I was interested to see the re-deployment of Majestic Princess as compared to what was originally planned for her.  

The brochure was interesting enough that I would like to see the other itineraries that are planned.  A Caribbean Princess sailing in New England/Canada, as an example.  What are the cruises before and after that are planned?  

You are more in tune with the happenings than I am, and I mean that in a complimentary way.  I would not have even realized there was a re-deployment of Majestic Princess.  In another recent post I commented we moved away from Princess.  Probably cost/itinerary.  But I always enjoyed our Princess cruises and wouldn't hesitate to go on another if they met our needs.  Our first Med cruise was Grand Princess.  Our first New England/Canada cruise was Crown Princess (I'm pretty sure).  And then it seems we were always finding ourselves on Crown Princess no matter the itinerary. Haha.  I'm kind of on a pointless ramble here, but I just have fond memories of Princess.  

Cruising since 2003.....I don't get brochures, just a few oversized "post card" type of mailing that I can either save to investigate the offer later, put through the shredder, or just tear up after removing my name and address.  Hardly an issue for me.