I hope Princess will..... and passengers will.....

gottagocit

I’m sure there will a variety of opinions about what you want to see when we are finally able to cruise again but theses are some of the things that I hope passengers and Princess staff will do to prevent breakouts off this virus and others types of sickness onboard ships in the future.

I can’t help but think back to things I witnessed passengers doing over the years such as bypassing hand washing stations, coughing into their hands in the buffet area, coughing openly in buffet area, leaving restrooms without washing hands and other things that made me cringe then. What would I do now if I saw the same behavior? Certainly won’t be as passive I was before all of this. What about you?

Besides the obvious precautions we are all taking now such as masks, social distancing when possible and others things that may be needed in order to restart cruising again I’d like to see:

Princess:

- Develop effective health screening for passenger and crew at embarkation (not just for the virus but other illnesses such the awful crud that so many catch during voyages of the past) 

- Strictly enforce reasonable and prudent hygiene standards for passengers entering restaurants particularly buffets (assuming buffets survive this) rather than simply suggesting people wash hands before entering but allowing many to enter without doing so
- Remove passengers from venues such as shows who appear to be displaying symptoms of an illness and quarantine 

- Ban passengers who refuse to follow guidelines that are implemented to keep passengers from this and future outbreaks of others such as violating quarantine or not using posted measures when boarding or entering venues 

- Ban passengers who attempt to hide sickness but are determined to be sick during boarding process 

- Ban passengers found to be sick while onboard but have not reported to medical staff

Passengers 
- Do not attempt to travel with others when sick 

- Act responsibly and follow common sense practices that prevent spreading this or other illnesses such as coughing openly around others and maintaining good hygiene 

-  Do not scoff at others/staff or make a scene/excuse when asked to follow guidance such as washing hands or using hand sanitizer etc

-  Report to onboard medical facility when exhibiting symptoms if any illness 

Any opinions or other things you want to see once we are back cruising again?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, memoak said:

How about refuse to get the vaccine then no cruise for you 

I would not be surprised if that is required to board a plane or cruise as well. 

Another one Princess could do is inactivate cruise cards for passengers found to be sick or quarantined. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For covid there's a chance proof of vaccination will be required to board. Why? Ship medical staff just isn't and never will be in a position to control a covid outbreak. Vaccination proof may not only be a cruise line requirement, but a requirement of some of the ports of call.

I have been posting for years that it would be a good idea for the cruise line industry to support vaccine research for the various noro viruses. Noro virus while widespread in many locations can be costly when there is an outbreak on board ships and gives the cruise vacation experience negative press. 

I believe that ill passengers that report to medical many times are confined to their cabins. Other than that I don't think there is any way for the ship to determine if a passenger is ill or not ill with a contagious ailment.

37 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

Besides the obvious precautions we are all taking now such as masks, social distancing when possible and others things that may be needed in order to restart cruising again I’d like to see:

I guess I'm still surprised after all these months that anyone would be willing to cruise with the typical Covid precautions you mention.  Those precautions coupled with the ship-sponsored "bubble excursions" ashore which seem like they may be required for some time sounds like a completely terrible experience. Not only does all of this sound inconvenient  and not very much fun, I do not hold out any hope that passengers at-large can be reasonably expected to change their habits and reliably comply with whatever the established Covid protocols end up being.

I'm not putting up with all that crap. Established, proven, required vaccine, or no cruise for me. And with all the anti-vax nut jobs running around, even then it will likely be a no-go for me. You already have people faking Covid tests results. A fake medical record shouldn't be too difficult. We'll have to see how these angles shake out, too.

8 minutes ago, skynight said:

...I believe that ill passengers that report to medical many times are confined to their cabins. Other than that I don't think there is any way for the ship to determine if a passenger is ill or not ill with a contagious ailment.

Some are told to stay in their cabins but I don’t know what percentage. Deactivating cruise cards/medallions etc would just be one more way to discourage the sick from spreading something around the ship. If they’re found violating it a future ban would be appropriate imo. 

If someone displays symptoms like coughing with obvious congestion or is found with a fever using a portable temp check device a trip to the medical facility would seem to be in order to have them looked at closer. At least it would reduce odds of catching something but granted it wouldn’t stop everything. Seems like common sense in such an environment after this. 

The proof of vaccination (within a certain period of time before the cruise) is one I prefer, too.

We cannot expect all other passengers to behave differently. 

That is exhibited to me every time I got "into the wilds of Costco", or any other store.  The other day we were getting deli sandwiches to take to the park to eat, and a mother with her two children came in and ordered next to us.  She had a mask pulled down to her chin (the usual wear the mask to get in the front door trick).  Her children were not wearing masks.  I'm sure she thought since they were close to the front door that it was all OK.  

So, we all need to protect ouselves FROM the other passengers, and that's what masks and social distancing is all about.  My husband and I moved further down the counter away from that woman and her kids, for instance.  Also, those of us who care to protect ourselves should bring a pump bottle of hand sanitizer with us on cruises, and the little travel size, too, which can be refilled from the pump.  

I do not hold other people accountable to do the right thing anymore during this pandemic, and calmly do what I do with no comments to them.  Been doing this for almost 6 months now, and it's working.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

...I'm not putting up with all that crap. Established, proven, required vaccine, or no cruise for me...

Yeah I can’t disagree with that. I added the note at the top about the masks etc not to say necessarily that that will be required but rather to prevent the replies from focusing all the things we are currently dealing with but rather try to flush out onboard practices or behaviors that used to be accepted but that shouldn’t be any longer. 

I honestly assume cruising won’t really start back in volume until a vaccine is available. And we will certainly be in line to get one when it appears we have a safe one. 

2 hours ago, Outerdog said:

I guess I'm still surprised after all these months that anyone would be willing to cruise with the typical Covid precautions you mention.  Those precautions coupled with the ship-sponsored "bubble excursions" ashore which seem like they may be required for some time sounds like a completely terrible experience.

I would go in a heartbeat with these restrictions in place.  There are enough people like you that feel it would be a terrible experience that would help with the reduced capacity policies.  Even those bubble excursions sound like a great idea to me.  I respect that others don't feel the same way about it ... it's just different that my opinion.  

2 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Not only does all of this sound inconvenient  and not very much fun, I do not hold out any hope that passengers at-large can be reasonably expected to change their habits and reliably comply with whatever the established Covid protocols end up being.'

I agree with you on this point ... I think people would feel it is their right to not comply with the established protocols.  The staff would have to keep reminding some people to keep distance, wear their masks, wash their hands, etc. 

I'm sure we've all seen that one jerk in the re-embarkation line in port that is fighting with security about bringing alcohol or a souvenir weapon back onboard.  Or, that one arguing with the staff about the drink they want that isn't covered in their package, or ... well, you name it! 

Heck, I even saw someone throwing a fit in arguing with the check in personnel about not needing any identification to get onto the ship. 

That will definitely be the hard part about it ... making sure passengers that feel entitled to comply with the ship's protocols.  You'd see no trouble from me, though.  I finally took a little trip for the first time this year and masks were required, hand washing / sanitization stations were set up everywhere, temperatures were taken upon check in ... yes, people cheated even after constant reminders but, even with the restrictions that we had to follow, it felt like total freedom to me in comparison to how we have been living this year.  

And personally, if they do ever open the buffets back up, I prefer the staff serve the passengers anyway.  I don't have a lot of faith in others with their hand hygiene practices.  That's not new!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, gottagocit said:

If someone displays symptoms like coughing with obvious congestion or is found with a fever using a portable temp check device a trip to the medical facility would seem to be in order to have them looked at closer. At least it would reduce odds of catching something but granted it wouldn’t stop everything. Seems like common sense in such an environment after this. 

This would be a difficult to accomplish. Basically medical personnel should determine illness, not other passengers and not other staff. Another issue is cost. There is always a cost to visit the medical center or for medical personnel to visit you. Some passengers do not wish to incur this cost, thus medicate themselves.

The cruise experience has many interactions between passengers and staff in many close quarters, think elevators, theaters, lounges and so on. With few exceptions ships have been doing a good job controlling non covid outbreaks. Covid, mainly spread airborne from person to person, can spread quickly on ships. 

I have a chronic cough related to a lung disease. Am I contagious? Nope. Am I a danger to you? Also nope.

I am also not willing to take the first generation vaccine against COVID19. As a health care professional of over 30 years, I want to see what long-term problems exist with vaccines. There needs to be long-term studies, not knee-jerk responses to immediate need.

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, trvlwrld said:

coughing doesn’t always mean someone is sick...some blood pressure meds elicit coughing as a side effect...I’m not giving up my meds to satisfy someone’s unwarranted aversion 

You do realize that you can cough from your medication and also have Covid-19 at the same time.

Additionally it is extremely rude to cough without covering your mouth and spray the surrounding area whether or not you have an infectious illness. I am so tired of the people that think they have a privilege to be rude, unclean and pushy towards other passengers and crew.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As a nurse, I agree with Purple Hays about using caution with early vaccines. There is a proven method for vaccine development and testing. Those scientific processess are critical to avoid complications that can be associated with vaccines. Rush development and avoid key steps in testing, and we could have a major problem. I have a relative who was given a Swine Flu vaccine innoculation years back. They became permanently paralyzed as it was discovered the batch of vaccines was contaminated. Follow the science and use caution as our national agencies have done over time.`

• Like 5

Every cough and sneeze and sniffle isn't covid. There are a plethora of lung diseases like COPD - Emphysema- Lung CA etc.....so how exactly can you expect a cruise line to distinguish between them all.  I would like to see an accurate rapid test used for everyone at embarkation and maybe at the half way point on a cruise to catch those who have been tested too soon.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Every cough and sneeze and sniffle isn't covid. There are a plethora of lung diseases like COPD - Emphysema- Lung CA etc.....so how exactly can you expect a cruise line to distinguish between them all.  I would like to see an accurate rapid test used for everyone at embarkation and maybe at the half way point on a cruise to catch those who have been tested too soon.

My wife just now let out a very loud sneeze. She does it from time to time. Changes in atmospheric pressure and other things affect her and she sneezes. Like I said, it's really loud. She was well known for it in the office where she worked. Even though she was in her own office everybody knew it when she sneezed.  I have seasonal allergies. When that's going on I'm not "sick" - it's just allergies. I don't want to be kicked off the ship or forced to stay in the cabin if my wife sneezes or I get a sniffle when neither of us is actually ill.

We have each come down with the "cruise cold" a few times while sailing. Whichever one of us has it just hides in the cabin for a couple of days so we don't spread it around. I wish more people would do that. If they did, perhaps we wouldn't have caught the dang cruise cold in the first place.

We were on one 7 day southbound after a land tour in Alaska where I would estimate 85% of the passengers had a cold with sniffles, coughing, and sneezing. We were fine on land but by the second day of the cruise my wife was self quarantined in the cabin. A day or so later we swapped as she was better and I was sick. It didn't really matter by the end of the cruise as the coughing was ubiquitous around the ship. It may well have come from a single person who sailed despite being ill.

We both get our flu shots annually and will get vaccinated for the current crud when a vaccine becomes available.

• Like 2

@gottagocit great idea on deactivating cruise card if someone is supposed to stay in the stateroom for whatever reason. I have been in 'the cabin next door' more than once and although their was security at their door, this is just an extra step.

The rule at the MDR door should be sanitizer every time one enters, not just the 1st time for each meal.

Finally I'm another who has seasonal sneezes. I'm not contagious. I'd get that verified at the medical center if I didn't have to pay for it 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gottagocit said:

Deactivating cruise cards/medallions etc would just be one more way to discourage the sick from spreading something around the ship.

Hmmm... Deactivate their card. They leave their cabin. They may not be able to purchase anything but now they are wandering around the ship and locked out of their cabin.

30 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Hmmm... Deactivate their card. They leave their cabin. They may not be able to purchase anything but now they are wandering around the ship and locked out of their cabin.

It’s just a thought but if they’re locked out it would be pretty clear they violated quarantine wouldn’t it?  How did they get locked out if they weren’t supposed to be out of their cabin?  Lol.
Sounds like a perfect candidate for being banned from cruising to me... If there are real consequences for violating rules or policies I’ve found people in general are far more likely to comply with them. Of course this is only warranted if we really want to contain this or any number of other contagious illnesses onboard a ship full of passengers and have a viable cruise industry in these changing times. Sounds reasonable? 

6 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

It’s just a thought but if they’re locked out it would be pretty clear they violated quarantine wouldn’t it?  How did they get locked out if they weren’t supposed to be out of their cabin?  Lol.
Sounds like a perfect candidate for 

the brig until the end of the cruise which is near the medical center

• Like 1

It seems to me that cruise lines will have to rethink their business models for many things including use of the medical facility if they are to survive. This has taken an unbelievable toll on the industry and its far from over. Stringent enforcement of precautionary measures such as health screening and more closely monitoring passengers for proper hygiene and adherence to protocols will be necessary. If the industry takes another hit like the one we witnessed unfold in March it would the final straw imo.  
In order to ensure everyone reports any potential sickness immediately they will want to look at making it cost free or minimal cost if that is indeed a barrier to some passengers. Although I find it a little hard to believe that someone spending thousands on a vacation would risk it after all we’ve seen this year over a relatively small medical bill. The two times I’ve used them the bills were very modest.  

7 minutes ago, Ombud said:

the brig until the end of the cruise which is near the medical center

Lol. Well perhaps so if someone violates quarantine. I mean seriously how reckless does one need to be with the health of thousands of others before consequences are warranted? I believe the threshold for this has seriously moved due to this virus. 
I believe it is possible to have a relaxing fun cruise while following reasonable precautions given the consequences to others if you don’t. That’s assumes of course the policies are clearly defined and consistently enforced. 
It wont be easy for some passengers to comply and perhaps even for the staff as they have been trained for years to practice restraint even towards indignant passengers who may not deserve it and allow them to do as they please rather than confront the passenger. For some people rules are for everyone else and that’s not going to fly in this industry any longer imo.

I expect the industry will have, if they don’t already, a “no cruise list” for passengers who can’t follow health safety protocols after all we’ve witnessed over the last 6-8 months. 

4 hours ago, skynight said:

Another issue is cost. There is always a cost to visit the medical center or for medical personnel to visit you. Some passengers do not wish to incur this cost, thus medicate themselves.

Perhaps this model should be eliminated. The cost of keeping the medical staff aboard should be spread across all passengers. It is, after all, for everyone's benefit that the medical staff are available at no cost to any passenger who may be potentially infected.

Personally, I believe all the lines treat the medical services as a little profit center -- medical staff needs to be there regardless of the number of passengers they serve.

• Like 3

Violating quarantine would endanger passengers, crew, industry.  I seriously wonder how many subsidiary lines would survive a second major covid shutdown 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1