Can someone enlighten me on this when things restart?

Airbear232

Okay, I was reading another thread on the number of cruise booking and refunds.  Always good to think about going back onboard.  Well, I got to thinking that the consensus has been that when things restart, the cruise lines will do a staggered approach and not fully fill ships.   Makes sense - right?  Well, then I got to thinking that all the bookings I'm looking at are for ships at or near fully occupancy.  See where I'm going with this.  When things get going, if ships aren't going to sail at full capacity, how do they prioritize who gets to go?  There will be a lot of disappointed people.  I know that if I'm bumped, I'd be pretty peeved.  Okay, if I'm missing something, can someone enlighten me on the arcane intricacies?  Or, is this just going to be one big mess?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Okay, I was reading another thread on the number of cruise booking and refunds.  Always good to think about going back onboard.  Well, I got to thinking that the consensus has been that when things restart, the cruise lines will do a staggered approach and not fully fill ships.   Makes sense - right?  Well, then I got to thinking that all the bookings I'm looking at are for ships at or near fully occupancy.  See where I'm going with this.  When things get going, if ships aren't going to sail at full capacity, how do they prioritize who gets to go?  There will be a lot of disappointed people.  I know that if I'm bumped, I'd be pretty peeved.  Okay, if I'm missing something, can someone enlighten me on the arcane intricacies?  Or, is this just going to be one big mess?

How are you sure they are at or close to full capacity. The one I just booked had so many choices, either furthest out hump balconys cabins on multiple decks, 6 or 7 months out.

I know carnival says its cutting off booking ps at some unknown capacity 60 or 70%, we think. How do you know rcl isn't doing the same.

There are so many open cabins on my bookings, I cant count them all, and who knows how many I cant see my travel agent can see. Are you a TA? The only thing I can think is the closer in sailings at good prices, people are lifting and shifting is why so many premo cabins to choose from. 

I thought the only site that used to show capacity doesnt work any more, so I'm wondering how you know how full a ship is?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Are you looking at bookings that are before or after final Payment....there is a huge difference in how full they are booked .  That cruise that is 2 months away from final May be full but the closer it gets to final the more cabins open up and become available as people cancel.  Other than a few select sailings I don’t see capacity being an issue. 

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

How are you sure they are at or close to full capacity. The one I just booked had so many choices, either furthest out hump balconys cabins on multiple decks, 6 or 7 months out.

I know carnival says its cutting off booking ps at some unknown capacity 60 or 70%, we think. How do you know rcl isn't doing the same.

There are so many open cabins on my bookings, I cant count them all, and who knows how many I cant see my travel agent can see. Are you a TA? The only thing I can think is the closer in sailings at good prices, people are lifting and shifting is why so many premo cabins to choose from. 

I thought the only site that used to show capacity doesnt work any more, so I'm wondering how you know how full a ship is?

Not sure if we're referencing the same website.  But I have been on it recently and still showing occupancy.  I know not all sailings are full, but Baltic trips we're considering are nearly full.

28 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

I would expect all Suites and Balcony cabins would be full as they are the most expensive cabins if there is a capacity level

After that outside cabins with inside cabins probably kept as isolation/quarantine cabins or even for crew.

Graham.

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I would expect all Suites and Balcony cabins would be full as they are the most expensive cabins if there is a capacity level

After that outside cabins with inside cabins probably kept as isolation/quarantine cabins or even for crew.

Graham.

And this I have a major problem with, and I would guarantee that I'm not the only one. It's all hypthetical still of course so no point getting too upset yet.....but......say someone in a GS tests positive at some point on the ship....good luck trying to get that person into an inside cabin. We did an inside once almost 10 years ago for a 9 night New Years cruise and vowed to never ever ever do it again. We didn't spend much time in there but the time we did was brutal. We are early wakers and love natural light.....we found the inside cabin to be clausterphobic and depressing really. The only good thing about that inside cabin is that we got double points for it. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

And this I have a major problem with, and I would guarantee that I'm not the only one. It's all hypthetical still of course so no point getting too upset yet.....but......say someone in a GS tests positive at some point on the ship....good luck trying to get that person into an inside cabin. We did an inside once almost 10 years ago for a 9 night New Years cruise and vowed to never ever ever do it again. We didn't spend much time in there but the time we did was brutal. We are early wakers and love natural light.....we found the inside cabin to be clausterphobic and depressing really. The only good thing about that inside cabin is that we got double points for it. 

Our last 50 cruises have been balcony and above cabins so concur what you are saying.

Ideally if you were covid19 positive you could isolate in your own cabin but CDC might insist on an area for quarantining for anyone covid19 positive and lower deck insides being the cheapest cabins might be allocated for this.

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Our last 50 cruises have been balcony and above cabins so concur what you are saying.

Ideally if you were covid19 positive you could isolate in your own cabin but CDC might insist on an area for quarantining for anyone covid19 positive and lower deck insides being the cheapest cabins might be allocated for this.

I saw another rumour somewhere that there might be entire ships dedicated to people under quarantine.  That would be um, interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I saw another rumour somewhere that there might be entire ships dedicated to people under quarantine.  That would be um, interesting. 

Until a vaccine is available the possible consequences of cruising do not look appealing.

• Like 3

Any ship that still has more guests booked than permitted by sailing day will have a thunderdome on the dockside. Guests will be drawn randomly and face off until enough are eliminated to allow sailing. 

Any pairs/groups of guests where not all survive will put their seapasses in a hat to decide who bunks up with who. The draw will be final and no swapping will be allowed.

Orphaned children will become wards of the ship and tend to the engine as apprentices until they come of age, at which point they will enter the thunderdome themselves with another crew member to fight for a paid position.

Edited by Smiles1984
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

We have an inside cabin  booked  for a 4 night on Mariner. There was no mention of any booking restrictions. We are not crew. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

14 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We have an inside cabin  booked  for a 4 night on Mariner. There was no mention of any booking restrictions. We are not crew. 

m

Hopefully your cruise goes ahead and if CDC put restrictions in place you get a nice upgrade.

Our 2-20-21 cruise on P&O(Carnival group) 14 nights to the Canary Islands from Southampton UK has already been cancelled.

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Hopefully your cruise goes ahead and if CDC put restrictions in place you get a nice upgrade.

Our 2-20-21 cruise on P&O(Carnival group) 14 nights to the Canary Islands from Southampton UK has already been cancelled.

I am sorry that your cruise got canceled.

Actually I am expecting the first cruise in which I have an inside to be canceled. It is New Year’s Eve this year. (Not eligible for lift and shift) The other cruise is in June on Allure  and I am hoping that one sails.  That one is a central park Interior view (no  balcony). I believe it is called an interior view cabin. 

I am not expecting any RCCL upgrade.
m

8 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I am sorry that your cruise got canceled.

Actually I am expecting the first cruise in which I have an inside to be canceled. It is New Year’s Eve this year. (Not eligible for lift and shift) The other cruise is in June on Allure  and I am hoping that one sails.  That one is a central park Interior view (no  balcony). I believe it is called an interior view cabin. 

I am not expecting any RCCL upgrade.
m

Thanks.

I hope your New year's cruise goes ahead as they are special cruises.

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks.

I hope your New year's cruise goes ahead as they are special cruises.

Thanks. You are right, they are special forces   We love sailing New Year’s Eve and have done it several times. We’ve just made alternate plans as we expect the cruise to be canceled.  

m

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Thanks. You are right, they are special forces   We love sailing New Year’s Eve and have done it several times. We’ve just made alternate plans as we expect the cruise to be canceled.  

m

👍Hope you have a fantastic time with whatever you finally end up doing.

Graham.

On 9/19/2020 at 3:37 PM, Airbear232 said:

If you mean cruising without wearing masks and other restrictions my guess is 2024.

On 9/19/2020 at 4:24 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

If the ships staff informs you to move, you move. Bottom line

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 3:37 PM, Airbear232 said:

Perhaps the bumping will be based on age.  In my state 70% of the deaths were people over 70 and 87% of the deaths were people over 60.   Maybe older people won't be allowed to cruise before a vaccine is widely distributed.  This should solve the occupancy problem.

I don’t think that it’s going to be a huge problem. There may be some sailings that may already be close to or over “Covid” capacity, but based on what I’ve seen, majority of cruises that I price out show wide availability. If someone is inconvenienced, it may not be a huge number of people.

If they do bump, I hope that they don’t do it based on amount paid. My next booked cruise is for February 2021 (MSC Seaside) and we paid a measly $165pp for a 7 night cruise in a balcony cabin. We booked about two months ago and the sailing is still showing wide availability but the prices have tripled. 

Edited by Tapi