Vaccination Certificate required for Travel

lkettle

27 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Hang on a minute, what if one of my jabs expires?. Do I need to get it removed, or just put a cross through it😁

What happens if you lose or gain weight? Your barcode would distort and not scan.🤣

Avril

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

What happens if you lose or gain weight? Your barcode would distort and not scan.🤣

Avril

Anarchy needs to think this one through, but it still has a lot going for it😷

• Like 1

I get worried reading posts that read "rushed vaccine "testing ! :classic_ohmy:

Relax  we now have some top people working on it   :classic_unsure:   :classic_smile:

FB_IMG_1601726080151.jpg.64524a513de4781c7fbbd109b9a2ebee.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We stayed in a nice hotel on Dartmoor. You left a list on the door of the stuff you needed, biscuits etc and picked up little jugs of milk from the bar to keep in the fridge. Making your own bed in the morning was a hardship, but we managed. Reassuring to know people were not comming in the room. If that is the new normal, that's fine .

We stayed 2 nights at Premier Inn Carlisle last week while visiting Gretna Green and the Lake District and said we didn't want room service when checking in.

Reception said that was fine as you have to request if you want your room cleaning now.

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Premier Inn are great value.

We stayed at the one in Liverpool a couple of weeks ago and requested no room cleaning which they appreciated as we keep our room tidy ourselves so they delivered extra towels for us when we requested them.

With Covid19 it meant we didn't have someone else coming into our room during our stay.

We would actually prefer this on board ship too and often tell our cabin steward to just give us fresh towels and take the used ones away.

Graham.

I am surprised Premier Inn are doing regular room servicing.  We have stayed and booked other hotels over the summer and there seemed to be a standard habit of saying rooms will only be serviced if there for more then 4 or 5 nights.  Certainly the case for Travelodge, Holiday Inns and at least one or two other IHG chains.  Seems sensible from both staff and customer point of view.  We had a prob with A/C in a Holiday Inn and they would not have anyone come into the room while we were there, so overnight you wait until the next day or change room.  They also leave the rooms empty for a night between customers. 

Edited by tring

We had agreed to be available for the Oxford vaccine trial and had filled in the online questionaires,  My husband was asked to take part , but he changed his mind as it can affect travel insurance.  He had contacted our insurance company but would depend on them screening if we take part, so they could not even say what would happen.  Shame.

There are only certain bases in the UK which are being used for the trials, we would have gone to Liverpool School of Trop Med, where I worked at one stage, so always feel a bit of an obligation to consider taking part in any research project.  They are only taking certain groups at a time and, I think, start with small numbers of each group.  They have only just got to the over 70's.  

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tring said:

I am surprised Premier Inn are doing regular room servicing.  We have stayed and booked other hotels over the summer and there seemed to be a standard habit of saying rooms will only be serviced if there for more then 4 or 5 nights.  Certainly the case for Travelodge, Holiday Inns and at least one or two other IHG chains.  Seems sensible from both staff and customer point of view.  We had a prob with A/C in a Holiday Inn and they would not have anyone come into the room while we were there, so overnight, you wait until the next day or change room.  They also leave the rooms empty for a night between customers. 

They are not Tring . If you go on their website and click on the Covid response bar you will find all actions taken .

Premier say :-

Once you’ve checked in, we won’t enter your room to clean it unless you specifically ask us to do so or on the 6th day of your stay, when you have a choice for us to either clean your room or move to a new room.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tring said:

I am surprised Premier Inn are doing regular room servicing.  We have stayed and booked other hotels over the summer and there seemed to be a standard habit of saying rooms will only be serviced if there for more then 4 or 5 nights.  Certainly the case for Travelodge, Holiday Inns and at least one or two other IHG chains.  Seems sensible from both staff and customer point of view.  We had a prob with A/C in a Holiday Inn and they would not have anyone come into the room while we were there, so overnight, you wait until the next day or change room.  They also leave the rooms empty for a night between customers. 

We passed 3 of the cleaning girls in the corridor.

I think most people only stay 1 or 2 nights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Back in early March, my hairdresser was getting ready for Covid, so she bought one of those ‘guns’ for taking people’s temperatures. She tried it out on me. As I had walked briskly from the car, I thought I was going to be quite warm, but I was borderline hypothermic! If I do get a fever, I’d probably register as normal !😂

My husband's office  uses these and registered his temperature as 33°I did comment that he might feel a tad unwell  at that reading. Absolutely pointless, just a tick box exercise  for a "covid  secure " office!

Edited by ohnonotmeagain
Fat fingers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We stayed 2 nights at Premier Inn Carlisle last week while visiting Gretna Green and the Lake District and said we didn't want room service when checking in.

Reception said that was fine as you have to request if you want your room cleaning now.

We do enjoy our breaks and, like many have missed them terribly. Since breakout we have had a couple of lodge holidays and a couple of hotel stays. Things aren't quite the same, but are perfectly ok and in some respects better. Do we need the beds made for us ?. We have a couple of nights booked in a hotel in the New Forest at the end of the month. We had an email asking us to book times for Dinner and breakfast. Did that and they told me We will need to order breakfast the evening before. Life may need to change a bit , but if hotels are making an effort to keep us safe, we will go along with their protocols. Sound like premier Inn are making the effort too.

Edited by zap99
Spellcheck
  • Like 4

On 10/1/2020 at 5:08 PM, bobstheboy said:

We have to have a lifeline, something to give hope. You may be right and no vaccine available for months/years. These are unprecedented times and a lot of money thrown at research and manufacture so I like to be optimistic. I am not desperate to go on holiday but I cling to the hope I will cruise next year, so keep laughing.

- I am certainly not laughing at those who are realistically hopeful of being able to cruise again next year.

- I am not laughing at those who are hopeful of a vaccine - the reports are very good, and I expect there will soon be several in real life operation.

- I am not laughing at any person.

But some of the posts are so much along the lines of, - next year we can all get vaccinated and have vaccination certificates and everything will be back to normal again -, that it is a case of laugh in disbelief or weep in sorrow.

- I expect that vaccination programmes will start no later than the beginning of next year.

- I expect more cruise lines will start sailing again sometime next year.

- It is unlikely that wanting to go on a cruise will move anyone to the top of the vaccination list

I do NOT expect cruises themselves to be anything like the "normal" of last year for a few years yet.

Why? First, vaccination itself is not a magic bullet, but mainly no country will be so complacent about a pandemic again, everybody will be on high alert for anything that could be a new virus starting up.

So I still think there will be a lot of restrictions for some time yet, as preventative measures, vaccine or no vaccine.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

- I am certainly not laughing at those who are realistically hopeful of being able to cruise again next year.

- I am not laughing at those who are hopeful of a vaccine - the reports are very good, and I expect there will soon be several in real life operation.

But some of the posts are so much along the lines of, - next year we can all get vaccinated and have vaccination certificates and everything will be back to normal again -, that it is a case of laugh in disbelief or weep in sorrow.

- I expect that vaccination programmes will start no later than the beginning of next year.

- It is unlikely that wanting to go on a cruise will move anyone to the top of the vaccination list

I do NOT expect cruises themselves to be anything like the "normal" of last year for a few years yet.

Why? First, vaccination itself is not a magic bullet, but mainly no country will be so complacent about a pandemic again, everybody will be on high alert for anything that could be a new virus starting up.

So I still think there will be a lot of restrictions for some time yet, as preventative measures, vaccine or no vaccine.

I agree with your comments.

MSC  seem to be developing an acceptable cruise experience  I am happy to wear a mask whilst walking around the ship, then removing it whilst on deck loungers  sitting in a lounge and in the dining room.  This, together with a vaccine will give reasonable protection, nothing will have a 100% guarantee, then again you cannot give that certainty at any time.

The only thing that would put me off is if you were not allowed ashore, except in an organised tour, as is the case with MSC at this time. Not desperate to cruise but hopeful.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Sorry, I missed the bit in your post where you said .......and my solution is...... You seem to think that the current scientific research is a waste if time and people who think positively are dreaming. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

To some that is optimism and they have a right to feel that there is a light at the end of the tunnel if it helps them to cope without, your ridicule. Your remark is a complete contradiction to the begining of your post, you are laughing.  Your pessimism is your right and you will be disagreed with, but not laughed at. 

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

I agree with what you are saying. 

it’s a realistic position to take.

I think everyone hopes for successful vaccine trials to be completed and for some sort of vaccination programme to start next year.  However, it’s realistic to think that this will take time and not be done by Easter as some reports suggest. 

Most people hope there will be some cruising next year, but realistically  on a limited basis, including less ships, less passengers on board, reduced onboard experience and a controlled environment. 

This is not pessimism. This is being hopeful but managing expectations with realism. 

December 2019 isn’t coming back for a long time if ever. Sooner or later we will all have to deal with that, but some people are further ahead than others. 

• Like 1

This taking your temperature at check in, or in a hotel or cruise ship is just plain silly.  If you caught the virus that day or the day before, it hasn't had time to take hold yet and therefore the temperature will be normal and a Covid test will be negative.  There was a senior consultant epidemiologist on the news with the timeline.   Firstly the Covid test has a 33% false negative result.  Secondly, if you test on the day or day after someone has caught the virus, it hasn't had time really invade the body and tests will be negative.  However, you are still infectious to other people.   In fact I think the first bit was up to 4 days, and another 2 days before you have symptoms.  How do they think that a test or temperature will be worth taking in that case.  That presumably is why there is 14 days isolation.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I agree with your comments.

MSC  seem to be developing an acceptable cruise experience  I am happy to wear a mask whilst walking around the ship, then removing it whilst on deck loungers  sitting in a lounge and in the dining room.  This, together with a vaccine will give reasonable protection, nothing will have a 100% guarantee, then again you cannot give that certainty at any time.

The only thing that would put me off is if you were not allowed ashore, except in an organised tour, as is the case with MSC at this time. Not desperate to cruise but hopeful.

As time moves on, I’ve started to think that one of the main reasons that I don’t fancy cruising very much in the COVID era is the requirement for a pre boarding test.  My desire to step on a cruise ship isn’t enough to have a swab down my throat and shoved up my nose 

• Like 3

Next year will not be normal vaccine or not but if the proper precautions are taken than cruising should return where they go who knows, but I am not a glass half empty kind of person who questions testing procedures, if I have a test on the first day of a cruise and it’s negative than I’m happy what happens after is out of my control, so hopefully me and my beloved will be on our first cruise with Princess line next year, those who wish to wait till the world returns to normal good luck to them there are other alternatives to cruising so they will not miss out.

• Like 3

... so difficult to adopt a position and set it down in (digi-)ink without leaving some feeling ridiculed & others feeling vindicated and validated

Feels to me that and posts/threads using personal crystal balls are best avoided

It’s feeling more and more that perhaps CC might be best avoided?  Life’s “different” enough just now without ‘family squabbles’.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Next year will not be normal vaccine or not but if the proper precautions are taken than cruising should return where they go who knows, but I am not a glass half empty kind of person who questions testing procedures, if I have a test on the first day of a cruise and it’s negative than I’m happy what happens after is out of my control, so hopefully me and my beloved will be on our first cruise with Princess line next year, those who wish to wait till the world returns to normal good luck to them there are other alternatives to cruising so they will not miss out.

I don't think things will ever 'go back to normal' and we will have to accept that if we are to carry on with our lives. No-one yet knows how all this will play out, as things are continually changing and evolving as more about the virus is being learned. Rather than speculate, I will just wait and see, and when cruising begins again both Frank and myself will decide between us which way we will go. 

Avril

• Like 6

2 hours ago, nosapphire said:

The latest from the Oxford team states they hope the vaccine will be approved for use by early next year, and there is an immunisation plan in place to vaccinate the whole country by Easter. Which seems to indicate that it will not take as long as many pessimists are predicting.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

... so difficult to adopt a position and set it down in (digi-)ink without leaving some feeling ridiculed & others feeling vindicated and validated

Feels to me that and posts/threads using personal crystal balls are best avoided

It’s feeling more and more that perhaps CC might be best avoided?  Life’s “different” enough just now without ‘family squabbles’.

Please don't aviod CC Eddie only a few of the threads. 

Avril

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

As you say. We either go with the experts, but expect that things may never be the same and that events change official plans, or we give up and ridicule all positive thinkers. Non experts spouting the same old pet theories is unlikely to solve much.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I felt very down during the week, as I thought that I was upsetting the applecart by giving my honest opinions. But I got some lovely messages of support from other posters, so I've decided to carry on posting.

I think the  problem is not the opinions, but the sideswipes that go with them, or even attempts to supress other peoples opinions.  I really do try hard just to talk about  my opinions, and not say anything that could be considered antagonistic or even passive aggressive  to people who hold different views.

If we try to stick to our own opinions and not get into labelling other people, perhaps we can all exist comfortably together.

Please don't go Eddie, I value your contributions. 

• Like 7