Vaccination Certificate required for Travel

lkettle

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But without a 100% onboard vaccination policy, cruise ships will not be allowed to disembark their passengers at cruise ports. I suppose those that haven't been vaccinated could be forced to stay on board, but I can't see that being an easy proposition to sell.

Where has that been stated? 

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

So, if you are a two 40 year old parents, with two children, you will not get the vaccine via the NHS.  One imagines that it will be possible to get the vaccine privately, but at what cost? A private CV19 test costs around £150. A private injection could quite easily cost £100. So an extra £400 for a typical family. 

I would imagine that it will not be possible to jump the queue for two reasons:

-- First, supply limitations mean that private companies will not be allowed to stock and deliver the vaccine, at least in this country.  However, I can see the possibility of vaccine tourism for a worried few.

-- Depending on the vaccine, and again referencing the FT report, it could be that whatever very low risk of side effects there are from the vaccine, are higher than the risk of an adverse reaction to the virus.  So unless the person is clinically vulnerable (i.e. has an autoimmune condition, severe asthma etc), then they will not be allowed to have it, for clinical advisory reasons.

Therefore, the family with children won't have a bill, and a cruise company won't be able to make it a pre-condition of travel for everyone, at least initially.

Having the vaccine wouldn't change the limitations of the holiday experience.

30 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

I would imagine that it will not be possible to jump the queue for two reasons:

-- First, supply limitations mean that private companies will not be allowed to stock and deliver the vaccine, at least in this country.  However, I can see the possibility of vaccine tourism for a worried few.

-- Depending on the vaccine, and again referencing the FT report, it could be that whatever very low risk of side effects there are from the vaccine, are higher than the risk of an adverse reaction to the virus.  So unless the person is clinically vulnerable (i.e. has an autoimmune condition, severe asthma etc), then they will not be allowed to have it, for clinical advisory reasons.

Therefore, the family with children won't have a bill, and a cruise company won't be able to make it a pre-condition of travel for everyone, at least initially.

Having the vaccine wouldn't change the limitations of the holiday experience.

I wouldn't disagree with that summary, especially the final sentence.

What it means is that the protocols (masks, distancing etc) during the cruise will be exactly the same for everyone,  and no body can leave the ship when in port, unless in a tour "bubble"  . So , the vaccine is not really the Golden Egg that many people thought would allow cruising to return to some sort of normality.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

Light heartedness aside from my previous post, I imagine that the answer to your question will come in the effectiveness of the vaccine...the FT states this as being unlikely to be 95% - comparing with typical flu vaccine.  The vaccines are focussing on reducing harm potential as opposed to infection per se in most cases.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I know someone will😉, but no vaccine is 100% effective and doesn't prevent infection. It merely gives you the antibobies to better fight against it. I've probably not used the correct words, but you'll know what I mean. I hope

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 2

My posts read that I am relying on a vaccine to be the saviour and things will go back to normal. I don't mean to paint that picture, it's just another tool to help us live with this awful virus, we will still need social distancing and masks.

It is a personal thing and I will feel better if I am vaccinated and knowing others are as well will add to the feeling.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

It is a personal thing and I will feel better if I am vaccinated and knowing others are as well will add to the feeling.

I know how you feel. I would feel better being vaccinated too. It's like the mask, I know it doesn't protect me from covid, but I still feel safer wearing one. 

Avril

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 11:53 AM, jeanlyon said:

I can't read that link as I don't subscribe, but I can't imagine they will have vaccine for the whole population by Easter.  They don't even have enough flu vaccine although i did get mine at Boots before they ran out.

I have just spent 4 days ringing patients over the age of sixty five to get there flu jab, take up as been roughly 35% there is enough vaccine but you cannot force people to have it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I have just spent 4 days ringing patients over the age of sixty five to get there flu jab, take up as been roughly 35% there is enough vaccine but you cannot force people to have it.

I'm absolutely amazed!   I'd have thought folk in this age profile would have been keener than usual.  But as you say, personal choice - not mine though - like many on here, we had our jabs last week!  And were very pleased to have them. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bazrat said:

If they get covid and flu double whammy, the government will be blamed , not them. The antivaxers have a lot to answer for . Back to cruises , I hope by 2022 cruise lines will still insist on either vaccination or negative PCT test.

Going to Barbados in January for a wedding ,  you need negative test before you go, can't leave hotel for 3days then an other negative test before you can leave hotel. Wish UK had a similiar policy. Why not same on ship. Negative test, then second test on ship. There are simple machines cruise lines can buy coming on matket

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

I'm absolutely amazed!   I'd have thought folk in this age profile would have been keener than usual.  But as you say, personal choice - not mine though - like many on here, we had our jabs last week!  And were very pleased to have them. 

A few days ago we Skyped our friends in Berkshire. They are both over 65, but aren’t having the flu jabs. When I asked why, they just said ‘they don’t like that sort of thing’.🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I was surprised when we went for ours. T.he surgery had everything in place for the expected patients, and the outside waitng area had been clearly and carefully marked out. It was deserted. I can only think that many who had been shielding didn't want to take risk of leaving home.

Avril

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I was surprised when we went for ours. T.he surgery had everything in place for the expected patients, and the outside waitng area had been clearly and carefully marked out. It was deserted. I can only think that many who had been shielding didn't want to take risk of leaving home.

Avril

That was our experience too Avril.  So quiet.  We normally have a walk-in system at our surgery and in previous years, there's often a queue.  We were allocated a specific day this time and went early, took our books to read in the car until the queue was a reasonable length but found no queue at all and were driving home within 7 minutes of parking up.  Perhaps the uptake really has gone down for whatever reason but I can't weigh it up.

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

My doctor's surgery said there was a big demand there which is understandable as we are in restricted lockdown and have a high level of covid19.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

My doctor's surgery said there was a big demand there which is understandable as we are in restricted lockdown and have a high level of covid19.

The problem is there is a popular misconception that you get ill from the vaccine, the amount of times I was told they would not have it because they was ill last time, so you can imagine what will happen when the vaccine comes out for COVID one person says they got ill from it and that’s it.

46 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

The problem is there is a popular misconception that you get ill from the vaccine, the amount of times I was told they would not have it because they was ill last time, so you can imagine what will happen when the vaccine comes out for COVID one person says they got ill from it and that’s it.

I had the flu jab last week without any reactions fortunately.

46 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I have heard the weird and wonderful excuses as well. They might not work or I could still get it anyway ,

so what's the point .The best one I was told was " Well I don't like needles anyway "  This was told to me by 

a fully grown man covered in tattoo's :classic_rolleyes::classic_unsure:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

We all have differing reactions to vaccinations. Frank and I have had many vaccinations while travelling in Asia as well as the regular yearly flu vaccinations here. Also one for pneumonia and shingles. I can honestly say I have never had one reaction to any, whereas Frank bless him, has had a couple, but nothing more than headache or a sore arm. I would much rather have 24 hours of headaches or a temperature than the full blown illness. Better safe than sorry.

Avril

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

and yet Boots have suspended appointments because they have run out of vaccine?

Boots I would assume does not have priority over the NHS for supplies and obviously does not buy as much, I could be wrong.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We all have differing reactions to vaccinations. Frank and I have had many vaccinations while travelling in Asia as well as the regular yearly flu vaccinations here. Also one for pneumonia and shingles. I can honestly say I have never had one reaction to any, whereas Frank bless him, has had a couple, but nothing more than headache or a sore arm. I would much rather have 24 hours of headaches or a temperature than the full blown illness. Better safe than sorry.

Avril

I agree with you.

I phoned my doctors surgery up to book my flu jab as I have a autoimmune disorder and asthma only to be told I did not qualify to have it done yet , only over 65 and the shielded first and I would have to wait to around December or January, even though for years before I have had it at the beginning !!  So I decided to book and pay for mine and my husband’s at boots which we had last Friday but in the end the boots pharmacist said I did not have to pay for mine which was a bonus 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

I phoned my doctors surgery up to book my flu jab as I have a autoimmune disorder and asthma only to be told I did not qualify to have it done yet , only over 65 and the shielded first and I would have to wait to around December or January, even though for years before I have had it at the beginning !!  So I decided to book and pay for mine and my husband’s at boots which we had last Friday but in the end the boots pharmacist said I did not have to pay for mine which was a bonus 

The surgery I am helping out at splits the days between under 65 over 65 and people at risk who have there own day.

39 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Boots I would assume does not have priority over the NHS for supplies and obviously does not buy as much, I could be wrong.

They presumably have more pull than most pharmacies so they should be able to source some, that's if the business felt it was making enough money out of doing vaccinations.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Most chemists that do the flu jab do offer it free if you have qualifying conditions and show it on their web sites .:classic_smile:

• Like 1