The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

13 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Don't leave us hanging!  Was this room used to film the inquisition scenes in the Harry Potter movies?  [The book says the room was deep in the bowels of the building, so they would have had to screen off those windows...]

Jazz, I don't think so. The significance is just that the University Students and the setting here were all part of Rowling's inspiration for the Harry Potter series.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

It's been a long day, so I'm including some of my favorite people in this picture.  

P1030404 3.JPG

Hmmm, it's not that good quality blown up.  If it's too hard, I'll add another one.

Edited by ljandgb

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

How wonderful to enjoy a performance at the Paris Opera!

Here's a photo I should have posted when I had the opportunity on October 31:thumbnail.jpeg.a8de83f5dde2b8785f7e12edcd344e39.jpeg

The painted plaster facade and the ironwork on the building is not characteristic for the east coast. (Wow I sound like notamermaid! LOL )

So the witch is either seasonal or cultural.  For us, the only cultural area would be around Salem, but again, that building doesn't look like New England to me.

• Like 1

I was actually also focussing on the gentlemen having a relaxing time, somewhere like Southern France or even Greece. I think the decoration is seasonal but Greece is a bit far fetched - apart from no river to cruise on. In the window one can see buildings reflected. A street scene more than a market square perhaps. I like the idea of the Po, Italy but I will go for the Rhone instead.

notamermaid

I would go for the Po as the photo brings Burano to mind - architecture, pavers, exterior painting scheme, numbering on building & the pictorial display of menu items. And, like @jpalbny I would also suspect they could be drinking Aperol spritzes. 

Edited by dogs4fun

So, WILD CARD! Who is lurking in the background and would like to post as photo from their river cruise or land trip to a river cruise port - or popular excursion? Anybody who has not posted before? If not, I am sure a regular photo quiz poster has got one ready. New posters, beat them to it, me included! Grin.

notamermaid

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Just wondering where, specifically, this is located in Burano (if you recall)?

Good job! I was wondering about somewhere quiet and less-crowded near Venice, maybe one of those nearby islands. But I didn't know enough about them to venture a guess.

Nice pic, @jklc123! Now I have to visit.

4 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Good job! I was wondering about somewhere quiet and less-crowded near Venice, maybe one of those nearby islands. But I didn't know enough about them to venture a guess.

Nice pic, @jklc123! Now I have to visit.

We love Venice, but it was great to take the water bus and get away to peaceful, colorful Burano, and more so the island of Torcello, which has an interesting ancient history. Here are more photos of Burano. We were there om the fall; from what I've read, both islands are busy with tourists in the summer.

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

Wow, acwmom, I have no idea.  I was hoping the sign would help but it's too blurry to tell the language.  I feel like it looks Dutch, for no good reason.  

I am in the same area... I was thinking Belgium??  Perhaps something to do with the war??

Fran

I had the same thoughts, Western European forest, Maginot Line or Westwall, but seeing the hills in the background was putting this more into Lorraine/Alsace.

Second thought then: a chapel connected to an old abbey with a wall remaining. The "Bruchstein" wall, that is what we call this, cannot make me see this anywhere else than in slate mountain ranges. I go for Rhine River, possibly somewhere near the Gorge. Enchanting like Lorelei perhaps?? Is the rock near there?

notamermaid